2021 Coaching Carousel picking up riders… | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2021 Coaching Carousel picking up riders…

Reaction Score
in my college football watching lifetime ... USC had the Pete Carroll era. And mostly sucked both before and after. YES really. When I was AT UCLA ... they had Larry Smith and then after PC, Lane Kiffin, Sarkisian, Helton etc etc

They just do not have GIANT status. IN Orange County, CA ... but realistically, the record isn't there. And Texas? rare even beyond. Vince Young. And what?

Reaction Score
in my college football watching lifetime ... USC had the Pete Carroll era. And mostly sucked both before and after. YES really. When I was AT UCLA ... they had Larry Smith and then after PC, Lane Kiffin, Sarkisian, Helton etc etc

They just do not have GIANT status. IN Orange County, CA ... but realistically, the record isn't there. And Texas? rare even beyond. Vince Young. And what?
I the past 20 years, USC has had 10 top 10 finishes in at least one of the polls which makes them an elite college football program. Clay Helton had 2 top 10 finishes, but he was fired.

Here are some of the other major schools top 10 finishes in the past 20 years:

Ohio State 17
Alabama 14
Oklahoma 14
Georgia 12
USC 10 (3 in the last 10 years, 2 in the last 5 years)
LSU 9
Clemson 8
Oregon 8
Texas 8
Florida 7
TCU 7
Penn St. 6
Auburn 5
Florida St. 5
Iowa 5
Michigan 5
Wisconsin 5
Boise St. 4
Michigan St. 4
Notre Dame 4
Stanford 4
Virginia Tech 4
Miami 3
Texas A&M 2
Nebraska 1
Tennessee 1
UCLA 1
Washington 1

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

Do you think using upper case OFTEN in your posts enhances the point you are making?

It doesn't...it's annoying.

Reaction Score
Do you think using upper case OFTEN in your posts enhances the point you are making?

you're annoying

there. I don't go around making grammatical corrections. If you don't like my opinions, capitalization or grammar ... you have a little damn button. Please show you have the decency to have reasoned opinions instead of the tripe of whining we are seeing lately on this thread/board

Reaction Score

by the way: both UCLA and USC were used correctly. Maybe you have to get out of your damn area code to understand acronyms

Reaction Score
I the past 20 years, USC has had 10 top 10 finishes in at least one of the polls which makes them an elite college football program. Clay Helton had 2 top 10 finishes, but he was fired.

Here are some of the other major schools top 10 finishes in the past 20 years:

Ohio State 17
Alabama 14
Oklahoma 14
Georgia 12
USC 10 (3 in the last 10 years, 2 in the last 5 years)
LSU 9
Clemson 8
Oregon 8
Texas 8
Florida 7
TCU 7
Penn St. 6
Auburn 5
Florida St. 5
Iowa 5
Michigan 5
Wisconsin 5
Boise St. 4
Michigan St. 4
Notre Dame 4
Stanford 4
Virginia Tech 4
Miami 3
Texas A&M 2
Nebraska 1
Tennessee 1
UCLA 1
Washington 1

selective?

Go back 40 years - basically most of our Boneyard watching populace, you add only 1988 + 1989 where they snuck in at 9 or 10.

Pete Carroll had 7 - depends on if you include the One that was voided. NCAA violations and all

Therefore: we are looking at 2 Clay Helton's and 1 Lane Kiffin. And their fanbase and greater Los Angeles puked all over those 2 guys. It really is about Pete Carroll - anyway you slice it. You think they are gonna return? I will bet my Bruins with Chip Kelly. Unless they have to play Fresno State regularly.

Fact is: there is nothing institutional at USC that gains them a big advantage in Pac 10/12/14 Football. I will argue UCLA or Oregon can be just as dominant with the right coach. Washington maybe. There is nothing definitive in pulling out that schedule above. Pete Carroll dominated an era; one that is past and not easily replicable.

Reaction Score
selective?

Go back 40 years - basically most of our Boneyard watching populace, you add only 1988 + 1989 where they snuck in at 9 or 10.

Pete Carroll had 7 - depends on if you include the One that was voided. NCAA violations and all

Therefore: we are looking at 2 Clay Helton's and 1 Lane Kiffin. And their fanbase and greater Los Angeles puked all over those 2 guys. It really is about Pete Carroll - anyway you slice it. You think they are gonna return? I will bet my Bruins with Chip Kelly. Unless they have to play Fresno State regularly.

Fact is: there is nothing institutional at USC that gains them a big advantage in Pac 10/12/14 Football. I will argue UCLA or Oregon can be just as dominant with the right coach. Washington maybe. There is nothing definitive in pulling out that schedule above. Pete Carroll dominated an era; one that is past and not easily replicable.
Carroll, Kiffin, Sarkisian, and Helton all had multiple top 10 recruiting classes at USC. I would say USC's recruiting is a competitive advantage. It fell apart during the end with Helton. Here are USC's recruiting rankings over the years:

2003: 2 (Carroll)
2004: 2
2005: 1
2005: 1
2007: 2
2008: 4
2009: 2
2010: 3 (Kiffin)
2011: 3
2012: 8
2013: 13
2014: 10 (Sarkisian)
2015: 2
2016: 10 (Helton)
2017: 4
2018: 4
2019: 20
2020: 64
2021: 7

Reaction Score
Missed this yesterday…

There is something to what he says, but the flip side is many of these guys get taken based on really limited results. Herman was the head coach at Houston for 2 seasons. Frost was at UCF for 2 seasons. The guy from SMU was there for 2 as well, I think. They did what they did with guys who were recruited by their predecessors. They never faced one of those tough years where you lose your quarterback and a couple of star linemen. Who knows how they recruit or how they deal with problems. The guy who left Cincinatti for Tennessee was the same thing. Guys get hot in the media but have minimal experience. But bigger name schools feel obliged to hire them. As the AAA league the AAC coaches were most open to poaching.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
selective?

See...you can do it! No drama caps!

Reaction Score
There is something to what he says, but the flip side is many of these guys get taken based on really limited results. Herman was the head coach at Houston for 2 seasons. Frost was at UCF for 2 seasons. The guy from SMU was there for 2 as well, I think. They did what they did with guys who were recruited by their predecessors. They never faced one of those tough years where you lose your quarterback and a couple of star linemen. Who knows how they recruit or how they deal with problems. The guy who left Cincinatti for Tennessee was the same thing. Guys get hot in the media but have minimal experience. But bigger name schools feel obliged to hire them. As the AAA league the AAC coaches were most open to poaching.
Butch Jones. Only making 825k, at Arkansas State and relatively young, 53. Offensive guy. Worth a look.

Reaction Score
Missed this yesterday…

He conveniently leaves out Matt Ruhle.

Also I dont know if the problem is the AAC so much as hiring these guys after 1 good season.

Frost and Herman were in the AAC for two years.

Reaction Score
See...you can do it! No drama caps!

it - USC today - is all about Pete Carroll. It is like being a Raiders fan - 30 years later. Unique to southern California.

Helton - Sarkisian - Kiffin. None have proven worldbeaters OR USC fanbase/stakeholders wouldn't allow any variance from the exalted position in their head.

Brooks or Chip Kelly - imho - were at higher levels at times than any of the Kiffin or Sarkisian teams. It is interesting to watch from afar. Except Carroll at his peak, NONE of these programs has been dominant for an era = like a Saban or a Stoops or a Meyer.

Reaction Score
He conveniently leaves out Matt Ruhle.

Also I dont know if the problem is the AAC so much as hiring these guys after 1 good season.

Frost and Herman were in the AAC for two years.

I think the story is all the same. These are good coaches. But the P5 programs won't allow any down period or development of a team over classes. WIN now. Some were simply poor fits. Maybe Willie at FSU. But I cannot specifically say Herman or Jones or Norvell or Collins are mediocre HCs. You have more time to develop and put a roster in place at the AAC level

Reaction Score
Nah, Bruce Jones left Cincinnati because he didn't know how to spell it correctly. Probably a graduate of the University of Conneticut. ;)

Reaction Score
The more I look at his record, Jones would be a pretty nice get I think. Got Central Michigan into the Top 25. Got Cincinatti into the Top 25. Actually had 2 9 win seasons at Tennessee In addition to a7-6 year. 1-3 at Arkansas State this year but the losses have been to bigger programs. At Washington, at Tulsa and in ot to Memphis. Kind of guy I think would be a nice get. Won at Tennessee just not enough to satisfy the fans who actually think they can beat Alabama and Georgia.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom