2021 Coaching Carousel picking up riders… | Page 32 | The Boneyard

2021 Coaching Carousel picking up riders…

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Like you said, he built the program into a major player, even though I think Trevor Lawrence had a huge role in that.
I think they went 40-4 w/ 2 Championship Game appearances and 1 Title the 3 years before Lawrence arrived, so...not sure how much credit he gets for them becoming a power. Seems like they already were.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I think they went 40-4 w/ 2 Championship Game appearances and 1 Title the 3 years before Lawrence arrived, so...not sure how much credit he gets for them becoming a power. Seems like they already were.
Works for me. I honestly didn't care to look it up and didn't realize he was there that long. As I was originally saying, I don't think he'll have any trouble filling in coordinator positions with high end people.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'd like to hear from folks not liking the Mora hire, compare and contrast it to this hire. Temple has a much better HC track record than we do. Did they do it again? Should we have gotten this guy?

Reaction Score
I'd like to hear from folks not liking the Mora hire, compare and contrast it to this hire. Temple has a much better HC track record than we do. Did they do it again? Should we have gotten this guy?
I think Temple has a little more wiggle room than we do with the high. They got past there decade of absolute awful football. Mora is our Al Golden.

Reaction Score
Ha! You know the answer. Heck no.

Reaction Score
Good read on what led Joe Moorhead to Akron…

-> Moorhead says he doesn’t even remember the exact week the job opened. For others who missed the timeline of news from a team that went 3-24 over the last three seasons: Akron fired Tom Arth on Nov. 4. Later that day, a long one at the office working as Oregon’s offensive coordinator, Moorhead walked into his home, where his wife, Jennifer, greeted him with a couple of questions.

“Hey, did you see the Akron job opened up?” Jennifer asked.

Nope.

After briefing Moorhead, Jennifer asked, “Well, what do you think?”

“Yeah,” Moorhead replied, “it matches all the criteria.”

For Moorhead, the exact criteria is personal, but here’s the gist: After Mississippi State fired him on Jan. 3, 2020, he huddled with his family (with Jennifer, Moorhead has three children) and created a specific list of parameters to consult when considering another head coaching gig. At the top of the list was family. Not money. Not program history. Family. <-

-> Many head coaching jobs opened during Moorhead’s time at Oregon — that was the landing spot for the Pittsburgh native after Mississippi, Moorhead said, because the family viewed it as a “neat, new adventure” after research — and Moorhead, viewed as an RPO pioneer, would’ve been a fine fit for several. None offered what Akron could as a familiar place (Akron last won a conference title in 2005, and Moorhead was a Zips assistant from 2005-08) two hours from where he grew up, near his parents. Near Jennifer’s parents. Near Grove City College in western Pennsylvania, where his son Mason is a freshman football player. For Moorhead to take another head coaching job, it had to make sense for his family. <-

->With that attitude and a promise to his son Donovan, an eighth-grader, that he will stay at the same high school, Moorhead called his agent that day, after speaking with Jennifer about the Akron job.

Moorhead remembers being asked: “Are you serious?” “Yeah,” Moorhead said, “I am serious.”

His agent got to work. According to Moorhead’s contract, Akron will pay him $500,000 per season for five years. Last offseason, Moorhead signed a deal with Oregon through January 2023 for $1.15 million annually. Regarding the financial aspect of his decision, Moorhead said, “You can’t put a price tag on family.” <-

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Good read on what led Joe Moorhead to Akron…

-> Moorhead says he doesn’t even remember the exact week the job opened. For others who missed the timeline of news from a team that went 3-24 over the last three seasons: Akron fired Tom Arth on Nov. 4. Later that day, a long one at the office working as Oregon’s offensive coordinator, Moorhead walked into his home, where his wife, Jennifer, greeted him with a couple of questions.

“Hey, did you see the Akron job opened up?” Jennifer asked.

Nope.

After briefing Moorhead, Jennifer asked, “Well, what do you think?”

“Yeah,” Moorhead replied, “it matches all the criteria.”

For Moorhead, the exact criteria is personal, but here’s the gist: After Mississippi State fired him on Jan. 3, 2020, he huddled with his family (with Jennifer, Moorhead has three children) and created a specific list of parameters to consult when considering another head coaching gig. At the top of the list was family. Not money. Not program history. Family. <-

-> Many head coaching jobs opened during Moorhead’s time at Oregon — that was the landing spot for the Pittsburgh native after Mississippi, Moorhead said, because the family viewed it as a “neat, new adventure” after research — and Moorhead, viewed as an RPO pioneer, would’ve been a fine fit for several. None offered what Akron could as a familiar place (Akron last won a conference title in 2005, and Moorhead was a Zips assistant from 2005-08) two hours from where he grew up, near his parents. Near Jennifer’s parents. Near Grove City College in western Pennsylvania, where his son Mason is a freshman football player. For Moorhead to take another head coaching job, it had to make sense for his family. <-

->With that attitude and a promise to his son Donovan, an eighth-grader, that he will stay at the same high school, Moorhead called his agent that day, after speaking with Jennifer about the Akron job.

Moorhead remembers being asked: “Are you serious?” “Yeah,” Moorhead said, “I am serious.”

His agent got to work. According to Moorhead’s contract, Akron will pay him $500,000 per season for five years. Last offseason, Moorhead signed a deal with Oregon through January 2023 for $1.15 million annually. Regarding the financial aspect of his decision, Moorhead said, “You can’t put a price tag on family.” <-

That's why it's hard to predict where a coach will go..and why it's always worth a phone call. Coaches are humans...their decisions aren't always obvious at the surface.

Reaction Score
Yeah, his agent probably wasn’t thrilled
I'm willing to bet he's biding his time, building up his profile right now, so that when Franklin or less likely Narduzzi gets fired he steps into one of those jobs. Being from Pittsburgh you gotta think those are the two ideal landing sports for him and his family.

Reaction Score
I'm willing to bet he's biding his time, building up his profile right now, so that when Franklin or less likely Narduzzi gets fired he steps into one of those jobs. Being from Pittsburgh you gotta think those are the two ideal landing sports for him and his family.
He’s not wasting his time thinking about it…

-> …But wouldn’t he miss competing at the highest level?

“The competitive part of me would probably be a little more … there would be a need for it to be satiated if I was coming off a bad four- or five-year run, where I hadn’t had success,” Moorhead said. “The only thing that was negative was I was let go. In my mind, there wasn’t a sense of failure there.

“And having coached in this conference, this is a very good football league. We have great administrative support. We have an unbelievable stadium. A great indoor. Nice offices. Fertile recruiting bed. And then with the advent of the portal, you have a chance to make pretty significant changes to your roster immediately.

“But, yeah, I mean, there’s always a part of you that wonders as a coach that you know, could I do it again at ‘the highest level?’ And to me, I already know the answer is yes. So that’s not part of it for me that wastes a tremendous amount of my time.” <-

Reaction Score
He’s not wasting his time thinking about it…

-> …But wouldn’t he miss competing at the highest level?

“The competitive part of me would probably be a little more … there would be a need for it to be satiated if I was coming off a bad four- or five-year run, where I hadn’t had success,” Moorhead said. “The only thing that was negative was I was let go. In my mind, there wasn’t a sense of failure there.

“And having coached in this conference, this is a very good football league. We have great administrative support. We have an unbelievable stadium. A great indoor. Nice offices. Fertile recruiting bed. And then with the advent of the portal, you have a chance to make pretty significant changes to your roster immediately.

“But, yeah, I mean, there’s always a part of you that wonders as a coach that you know, could I do it again at ‘the highest level?’ And to me, I already know the answer is yes. So that’s not part of it for me that wastes a tremendous amount of my time.” <-
Thanks

Reaction Score
Dodd sticking w/ his same old narrative. Hope Mora eats his lunch...

Jim MoraCNo matter who got this job, you must wonder about UConn's commitment to football after leaving the AAC for basketball reasons. There is an ongoing limbo there as an independent. However, Mora seems committed having served as a Huskie offensive analyst in 2021. He went 46-30 in six seasons at UCLA.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Jim MoraCNo matter who got this job, you must wonder about UConn's commitment to football after leaving the AAC for basketball reasons. There is an ongoing limbo there as an independent. However, Mora seems committed having served as a Huskie offensive analyst in 2021. He went 46-30 in six seasons at UCLA.

We could have hired Saban and he would have wrote the same message. Some of these national writers have their narratives that never change.

Reaction Score

What's the same old narrative? That if this school cared about football first, second, and third, like most schools, we wouldn't have gone independent? That's a very reasonable conclusion. I hope the move to independence works as much as anyone else, but let's be honest -- we did it because we needed to for basketball.

If you want to criticize Dodd, it would be for failing to notice the commitment to increasing the non-coaching football staff. But that's a lot to expect a national writer to be aware of at every school.

Do I think the grade itself is too low? Yes. But who cares what someone writes that is arbitrary and an opinion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom