2018 CIAC Football Playoffs | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2018 CIAC Football Playoffs

Reaction Score
I support Ansonia, but I’m pretty honest about how “good” they are from year to year. This isn’t a great Ansonia team. However the Ansonia/Bloomfield matchup was a sloppy (literally) but an exciting one to watch. It could have gone either way. Bloomfield made some big plays down the stretch that allowed them to squeak this one out after giving Ansonia an opportunity to tie or win in the final minutes. Crazy ending to this one. Both teams were evenly matched. Bloomfield made a few more plays . Neither team is great to be honest. Ansonia returns a lot of players from this team next year. They’ll be back next year. Bloomfield should beat H-K for the S title. I think this game was a perfect example of Ansonia’s NVL schedule hurting them. They’re not tested in the NVL and they have a hard time winning (finishing) close games in the state playoffs.

Greenwich is scary good. Arguably the best team I’ve seen in a long time. They’re clearly the best team in CT and it’s not even close (sorry Hand fans). I know NC is on fire right now and they’ll have a chance to win, but Greenwich’s defense gets after you and sets them apart from everyone else. They’d beat UConn too!! ;)

By the way....I hope The staff is recruiting Mozi Bici. That kid is an absolute stud.

Reaction Score
Bloomfield made some big plays down the stretch that allowed them to squeak this one out after giving Ansonia an opportunity to tie or win in the final minutes. Crazy ending to this one. Both teams were evenly matched. Bloomfield made a few more plays

Brayden turning into a decent QB for Bloomfield as a soph. Seems to be able to make the throws when necessary. Should be interested to see how he develops over next two years.
By the way....I hope The staff is recruiting Mozi Bici. That kid is an absolute stud.
He committed to Brown a few weeks ago.

Reaction Score
SJ rolled over Killingly 52-7

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wow...I thought Greenwich would win but boy did I overestimate Newtown. Cardinal Dolan blessed the field before the game.
I was unimpressed with Newtown all year. any of the Ben Mason teams would have beat them handily. I was shocked they beat Darien.

Reaction Score
I support Ansonia, but I’m pretty honest about how “good” they are from year to year. This isn’t a great Ansonia team. However the Ansonia/Bloomfield matchup was a sloppy (literally) but an exciting one to watch. It could have gone either way. Bloomfield made some big plays down the stretch that allowed them to squeak this one out after giving Ansonia an opportunity to tie or win in the final minutes. Crazy ending to this one. Both teams were evenly matched. Bloomfield made a few more plays . Neither team is great to be honest. Ansonia returns a lot of players from this team next year. They’ll be back next year. Bloomfield should beat H-K for the S title. I think this game was a perfect example of Ansonia’s NVL schedule hurting them. They’re not tested in the NVL and they have a hard time winning (finishing) close games in the state playoffs.

Greenwich is scary good. Arguably the best team I’ve seen in a long time. They’re clearly the best team in CT and it’s not even close (sorry Hand fans). I know NC is on fire right now and they’ll have a chance to win, but Greenwich’s defense gets after you and sets them apart from everyone else. They’d beat UConn too!! ;)

Agree on Greenwich, best team in the state since Darien with Evanchik and Stueber, drilled Southington and Jasen Rose, and then demolished Shelton.

Reaction Score
I was unimpressed with Newtown all year. any of the Ben Mason teams would have beat them handily. I was shocked they beat Darien.
I saw them play three times and I was impressed. Yes, they didn't have Been Mason, but they were better than the Ben Mason teams, more athletes, more size. As a team, a notch better. I just didn't think Marinelli's seniors could blow them out like they did. Comizio, Muir, Bici, and one or two of their lineman will be all state. The depth that Greenwich has in the trenches was undoubtedly a factor.

Reaction Score
I saw them play three times and I was impressed. Yes, they didn't have Been Mason, but they were better than the Ben Mason teams, more athletes, more size. As a team, a notch better. I just didn't think Marinelli's seniors could blow them out like they did. Comizio, Muir, Bici, and one or two of their lineman will be all state. The depth that Greenwich has in the trenches was undoubtedly a factor.
The 2014 team would have blown their doors off. That line averaged something like 280lbs.

Reaction Score
Looks like just a three good games - Bloomfield over Ansonia, Maloney over Platt, H-K over S/S/EW) and blowouts everywhere else. Greenwich looks crazy good this year. New Canaan will pose a bigger challenge for them just due to familiarity; but, I don;t think anyone can bet them in CT this year. In L, I think Hand will roll by Maloney as the Spartans have not faced a team like Hand yet (their two closest games was a Turkey day loss to Platt and a TD win over Windsor). Bloomfield should run over H-K in the S final, espeically if its on a turf field free of mud. St Joe's, who should really play in Class L or even LL due to their 'recruiting' area, will likeley win M over Berlin or Sheehan.

As for FCIAC, yes, they are having a good year, especially at the large school classes, which makes sense as they have 6 of the largest 10 and 12 of the largest 25 high schools in CT by enrollment. But, all has a lot do with the resources that many FCIAC high schools have in and outside of school that many others do not have. Now, if teams like Norwalk, Westhill, and Bridgeport Central were also getting into and winning football titles along with Greenwich, Darien, New Canaan, Staples, I would be more impressed. Plus, its also cyclical. While FCIAC has been a huge presence the last few years, especially in LL, L and M when St. Joe's has been classified as M, in 2012 no FCIAC team made a football championship game, in 2011. In 2011 and 2010, the FCIAC did nto win a title with Staples (LL) and Trumbull (LL) and New Canaan (L both years) losing title games. Further back, in 1992, the FCIAC won one title, Darien in Class SS, while Greenwich was hammered by New Britain in LL. Things change.

Reaction Score
Looks like just a three good games - Bloomfield over Ansonia, Maloney over Platt, H-K over S/S/EW) and blowouts everywhere else. Greenwich looks crazy good this year. New Canaan will pose a bigger challenge for them just due to familiarity; but, I don;t think anyone can bet them in CT this year. In L, I think Hand will roll by Maloney as the Spartans have not faced a team like Hand yet (their two closest games was a Turkey day loss to Platt and a TD win over Windsor). Bloomfield should run over H-K in the S final, espeically if its on a turf field free of mud. St Joe's, who should really play in Class L or even LL due to their 'recruiting' area, will likeley win M over Berlin or Sheehan.

As for FCIAC, yes, they are having a good year, especially at the large school classes, which makes sense as they have 6 of the largest 10 and 12 of the largest 25 high schools in CT by enrollment. But, all has a lot do with the resources that many FCIAC high schools have in and outside of school that many others do not have. Now, if teams like Norwalk, Westhill, and Bridgeport Central were also getting into and winning football titles along with Greenwich, Darien, New Canaan, Staples, I would be more impressed. Plus, its also cyclical. While FCIAC has been a huge presence the last few years, especially in LL, L and M when St. Joe's has been classified as M, in 2012 no FCIAC team made a football championship game, in 2011. In 2011 and 2010, the FCIAC did nto win a title with Staples (LL) and Trumbull (LL) and New Canaan (L both years) losing title games. Further back, in 1992, the FCIAC won one title, Darien in Class SS, while Greenwich was hammered by New Britain in LL. Things change.
It hasn't always been New Canaan, Darien, Greenwich, and St Joe's dominating the FCIAC. Roger Ludlowe was a state power from 1960 to about 1973, Trumbull dominated the FCIAC through many intervals starting around 1975. Trumbull's 1986 team was ranked #21 nationally. Trinity Catholic has had several state championships over the years. Stamford High also was dominant. Central High in Bridgeport had some great teams in the early 2000's. I think your theory about rich towns having an advantage is BS, quite the contrary it's all about coaching, coaching, coaching. Tom Fujitani at Wilton, Bob Lynch at Trinity Catholic, Jerry McDougall at Trumbull, the Marinelli's at New Canaan and Greenwich, the Emil Taft years at Ludlowe, Bobby Trifone at Darien whose father Al Trifone was a football coach at Warde, Ed McCarthy and Christy Hayes. If your rich town theory held water where has Joel Barlow, Weston, Amity, and Wilton been in the State playoffs the past 40 years? While the millionaires in Ansonia, Derby, West Haven, and Naugatuck have scooping up titles for years. It's all about coaching, coaching, coaching. Always has and always will be.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It hasn't always been New Canaan, Darien, Greenwich, and St Joe's dominating the FCIAC. Roger Ludlowe was a state power from 1960 to about 1973, Trumbull dominated the FCIAC through many intervals starting around 1975. Trumbull's 1986 team was ranked #21 nationally. Trinity Catholic has had several state championships over the years. Stamford High also was dominant. Central High in Bridgeport had some great teams in the early 2000's. I think your theory about rich towns having an advantage is BS, quite the contrary it's all about coaching, coaching, coaching. Tom Fujitani at Wilton, Bob Lynch at Trinity Catholic, Jerry McDougall at Trumbull, the Marinelli's at New Canaan and Greenwich, the Emil Taft years at Ludlowe, Bobby Trifone at Darien whose father Al Trifone was a football coach at Warde, Ed McCarthy and Christy Hayes. If your rich town theory held water where has Joel Barlow, Weston, Amity, and Wilton been in the State playoffs the past 40 years? While the millionaires in Ansonia, Derby, West Haven, and Naugatuck have scooping up titles for years. It's all about coaching, coaching, coaching. Always has and always will be.

Looks like we both agree than teams are cyclical, which they clearly all. I also agree that coaching is tremendously important. While money is a factor, it is just one of many. The money issue from my view point is what is spent off of school grounds and applies to sports on the whole and not just football. Within the last 20 years or so, high school sports have become a business, a business that parents are spending serious coin for their sons and daughters on for private clubs, individualized coaching, conditioning & weight training, nution counseling, etc. 365 days a year well beyond the actual high school sponsored program. That gives towns of certain demographics an advantage over those who can't afford such. I see it a lot in soccer, lacrosse and baseball where I live in NJ. Can coaching overcome such advantages, absolutely. But, it does tilt the field before the season even begins.

Reaction Score
Looks like we both agree than teams are cyclical, which they clearly all. I also agree that coaching is tremendously important. While money is a factor, it is just one of many. The money issue from my view point is what is spent off of school grounds and applies to sports on the whole and not just football. Within the last 20 years or so, high school sports have become a business, a business that parents are spending serious coin for their sons and daughters on for private clubs, individualized coaching, conditioning & weight training, nution counseling, etc. 365 days a year well beyond the actual high school sponsored program. That gives towns of certain demographics an advantage over those who can't afford such. I see it a lot in soccer, lacrosse and baseball where I live in NJ. Can coaching overcome such advantages, absolutely. But, it does tilt the field before the season even begins.
Yes it is cyclical, but again my point is it's cyclical because of coaching, parents involvement, youth football development, etc.

Reaction Score
Greenwich is currently ranked # 47 in the country by Calpreps. Darien finished at #40 in 2015. I don't think people have really appreciated just how good this Greenwich team is. That Darien team got a lot more press, and this Greenwich team has a chance to be finish the season ranked higher.

calpreps.com

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Greenwich is currently ranked # 47 in the country by Calpreps. Darien finished at #40 in 2015. I don't think people have really appreciated just how good this Greenwich team is. That Darien team got a lot more press, and this Greenwich team has a chance to be finish the season ranked higher.

calpreps.com
I dont know much about young Marinelli, but if there ever was a time to explore the move to college football coaching its after this season. I think you get past 32 ish and HS coach is all you will ever be, which is certainly fine, we need great HS coaches, just saying that window gets harder to open.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom