Zags: Adama Sanogo declaring for the NBA Draft | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Zags: Adama Sanogo declaring for the NBA Draft

Reaction Score
Selfishly glad I don’t need to see him in another school’s jersey
Why would any contributor transfer unless March basketball irks you. I can see it if you are a bit time player but UCONN is primed to have another deep run in 2024.

Reaction Score
It doesn’t matter what decision he made. He has absolutely earned the right to draw his own path and I will unconditionally support him no matter what he chooses to do with his basketball career for the rest of his life

Thank you Adama. He put his name in the list of all time Husky greats this past year. Go crush it!

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
I can be nothing but happy for Adama, and, as a Huskies fan, ever grateful for the way in which he represented the university by his dedication, work ethic, and attitude. (Perhaps selfishly) I really hope he lands in the NBA because it will make it a lot easier to follow him, but I'll be rooting for him wherever he ends up.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Best 21 in program history! (Shout out Rick Josh Stan and Omar)

My jersey from 1997 now graduates to a Sanogo throwback.

Reaction Score
One area he beats Zion (and probably 99% of the league) is hard work and discipline. To achieve what he did during the tournament while observing Ramadan fasting is no joke.
Zion will be out of the league in a few years. He is constantly hurt and has gained quite a but of weight. His play style cannot sustain his body weight lol

Reaction Score
At the fear of repeating what others have said I am happy for him and I have said before that he could improve in college ball but he could suffer a career ending injury and lose out at a shot in the NBA. Good luck to him. He is making a decision for his future. Early out has become the norm so we enjoy Husky greatness and let Hurley build another championship team. There is a good foundation here it gives a chance for another group to be champs and for us to enjoy watching the building of the future. Thank you Adama.

Reaction Score
None of us know his NIL offers, what his projected draft # is, or how much he can expect to make going pro overseas.

Why do you assume a kid who has made nothing but good decisions has decided to do something stupid and out of his best interest now?
Never said it was stupid - that’s how u read my post? Weird. Just a bit surprised considering he’s pegged to be a late round nba draft prospect and there’s definitely parts of his game he could work on to get him into that 20-25 slot next year in draft and who knows- with his improvement - maybe crack top 15, why not stay? Hate to see him wallow in g league or Europe and never hear from him again. And obviously he was on the fence about it because it was 50-50 until yesterday so let’s not act like it was a sure shot hundred percent automatic decision to bounce to nba I thought his NIL deal was pretty solid. If no money. I get it- he has a chance to be 2 time POY- win back to back and really go down in the all time college hoops history books. Europe will always be there. I’m just being selfish and upset he’s leaving. I get it but in all honesty - if he stayed it wudda been amazing. Hope he kills it in nba - but…also , still can’t believe we won the whole thing. Thx Adama !!! Incredible

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Never said it was stupid - that’s how u read my post? Weird. Just a bit surprised considering he’s pegged to be a late round nba draft prospect and there’s definitely parts of his game he could work on to get him into that 20-25 slot next year in draft and who knows- with his improvement - maybe crack top 15, why not stay? Hate to see him wallow in g league or Europe and never hear from him again. And obviously he was on the fence about it because it was 50-50 until yesterday so let’s not act like it was a sure shot hundred percent automatic decision to bounce to nba I thought his NIL deal was pretty solid. If no money. I get it- he has a chance to be 2 time POY- win back to back and really go down in the all time college hoops history books. Europe will always be there. I’m just being selfish and upset he’s leaving. I get it but in all honesty - if he stayed it wudda been amazing. Hope he kills it in nba - but…also , still can’t believe we won the whole thing. Thx Adama !!! Incredible
The flaw in your premise is the idea he'd move up in the draft by coming back. Short of inventing a time machine in one of his classes to turn the clock back to 1995 there is nothing he could do to make an NBA team use a 1st round pick on him let alone a lottery pick.

And that's not even because of the NBA devaluing his skillset, NBA teams are by and large just not going to use a 1st round pick on a college senior

Reaction Score

Again, you have NO IDEA where he is pegged to go in the draft, how much money on NIL he could get ornwhat a European salary would look like. So you have no idea what the financial situation is.

There are people making 3 million a year in Europe. That is hardly "wallowing."

Europe won't "always" be there for him. Basketball players have short careers. You are lucky to make it to 35. He has limited income earning years. And he could get in a car accident and be paralyzed for life tomorrow. You don't take that risk when you could pocket millions.

Stop questioning decisions you have exactly 0 information about. You're making yourself look more foolish than usual. I usually don't laugh at your comments, but my wife just looked at me like I'm a psychopath. Thanks for that.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
The flaw in your premise is the idea he'd move up in the draft by coming back. Short of inventing a time machine in one of his classes to turn the clock back to 1995 there is nothing he could do to make an NBA team use a 1st round pick on him let alone a lottery pick.

And that's not even because of the NBA devaluing his skillset, NBA teams are by and large just not going to use a 1st round pick on a college senior
When Navery and I agree on something you're probably really wrong. lol

I'm happy Sanogo cashed in while his stock wouldn't be higher. It's hard to have a better season than being MOP and winning a National Championship. He put a lot of great things on tape about how dominant he can be without the offense necessarily having to go through him late in the season.

If Wayne Gabriel and Dwight Powell can get minutes on teams, I just can't see Sanogo a NBA where Sanogo can't find a spot too.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Articles are all quoting some unnamed scout who said he doesn't think he'll be drafted and, at best, he'll go late second.

I think that's crazy. Putting aside whether he's actually one of the best 60 prospects, there's no way that there's not a single front office that isn't high on him after watching UConn's fun -- and seeing him make 3s and FTs in addition to showing off his footwork. All it takes is one enamored GM. I'd be shocked if he isn't gone by #50.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Articles are all quoting some unnamed scout who said he doesn't think he'll be drafted and, at best, he'll go late second.

I think that's crazy. Putting aside whether he's actually one of the best 60 prospects, there's no way that there's not a single front office that isn't high on him after watching UConn's fun -- and seeing him make 3s and FTs in addition to showing off his footwork. All it takes is one enamored GM. I'd be shocked if he isn't gone by #50.
The pre-draft workouts will be very important for him. He's not really a 5, although he can play some 5 (the Rockets ocassionally had Harden play 5 and the Celtics use Grant there at times) which mostly just requires strength in the modern NBA. He will get a chance to show skills that he doesn't often get to feature at UConn. If they see that he's legit 6'8" and can dibble, guard in space and shoot, he suddenly becomes a much more interesting prospect at the 4 (with ability to flex to 5).

I suspect that he actually does have a lot more of those abilities than we've seen. If you watch the Miami game over, it was his defense guarding all those guards and wings on the perimeter, that shut down their penetration game. That should have opened some eyes. I'll never doubt him, he'll outwork anybody.

Reaction Score
One thing I think could actually help him in the NBA is he wont be a focal point. At times in prior years and even some this year with his high usage he has been absolutely gassed. In the NBA he will be able to go all out for small stretches which may make him even more effective

Reaction Score

Eh Maybe. That’s pretty crazy if nba teams wud look the other way if Adama worked on his face up game, hops , Defense and mid range. You’re telling me there’s 60 other players right now in the draft better than him based on potential? Cmon now Being a senior in college is not an automatic death blow to a players nba draft prospects. What is this Kwame brown 2002? We’ll see - just comical, how they base thier valuations on players making an impact. For every 1 that gets plucked for nba as an underclassmen I can give you 100 guys that don’t make it. NBA is trash till the playoffs begin anyways. We ll see. Hopefully him leaving a year sooner than ready will work out for him. I tell you this much, hes got the best for work for a big man I’ve seen in a long, long time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Again, you have NO IDEA where he is pegged to go in the draft, how much money on NIL he could get ornwhat a European salary would look like. So you have no idea what the financial situation is.

There are people making 3 million a year in Europe. That is hardly "wallowing."

Europe won't "always" be there for him. Basketball players have short careers. You are lucky to make it to 35. He has limited income earning years. And he could get in a car accident and be paralyzed for life tomorrow. You don't take that risk when you could pocket millions.

Stop questioning decisions you have exactly 0 information about. You're making yourself look more foolish than usual. I usually don't laugh at your comments, but my wife just looked at me like I'm a psychopath. Thanks for that.
Lol. This is an opinion board. I was giving my opinion- so basically nobody can post anything unless we have complete inside information on every single player and situation? I believe he was going to benefit from next year here and you think it was his time to go- I don’t think his current game translates to the NBA - and a 13 year European career isnt that bad even if he is done by 35. What’s the difference if you start a career at 22 or 21 really(i understand GMs want younger and younger ) We ll agree to disagree.you think it was the right decision, I think he could use an extra year. It’s obviously his decision in the end but that doesn’t mean we can’t post anything about it. Wish him well and sad to see him go - actually thought he might stay. U seem super happy he’s leaving. Lol. Also Adama was not in your average “shud I stay or bounce situation” Given uconns high chances next year and his love of UConn/the coach /players/ super nice kid/ chance to play with clingan and be an all time ncaa great and most importantly his low/undrafted draft position. . U only get one chance for that. I kno u won’t like when I say this but europe or a 9 th man in nba will be there next year. We ll agree to disagree. Let’s hope it’s a moot point and he’s killing it as 6th man off bench next year for the warriors. And if he gets drafted in first round after killing the pre draft camps, I wud love for u to post to me “told u so”. Let’s hope it works out. Gonna miss watching him do work down low.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Lol. This is an opinion board. I was giving my opinion- so basically nobody can post anything unless we have complete inside information on every single player and situation? I believe he was going to benefit from next year here and you think it was his time to go- I don’t think his current game translates to the NBA - and a 13 year European career isnt that bad even if he is done by 35. What’s the difference if you start a career at 22 or 21 really(i understand GMs want younger and younger ) We ll agree to disagree.you think it was the right decision, I think he could use an extra year. It’s obviously his decision in the end but that doesn’t mean we can’t post anything about it. Wish him well and sad to see him go - actually thought he might stay. U seem super happy he’s leaving. Lol. Also Adama was not in your average “shud I stay or bounce situation” Given uconns high chances next year and his love of UConn/the coach /players/ super nice kid/ chance to play with clingan and be an all time ncaa great and most importantly his low/undrafted draft position. . U only get one chance for that. I kno u won’t like when I say this but europe or a 9 th man in nba will be there next year. We ll agree to disagree. Let’s hope it’s a moot point and he’s killing it as 6th man off bench next year for the warriors. And if he gets drafted in first round after killing the pre draft camps, I wud love for u to post to me “told u so”. Let’s hope it works out. Gonna miss watching him do work down low.

This is a lot of words to say "I have no idea what I'm talking about"

Reaction Score
Eh Maybe. That’s pretty crazy if nba teams wud look the other way if Adama worked on his face up game, hops , Defense and mid range. You’re telling me there’s 60 other players right now in the draft better than him based on potential? Cmon now Being a senior in college is not an automatic death blow to a players nba draft prospects. What is this Kwame brown 2002? We’ll see - just comical, how they base thier valuations on players making an impact. For every 1 that gets plucked for nba as an underclassmen I can give you 100 guys that don’t make it. NBA is trash till the playoffs begin anyways. We ll see. Hopefully him leaving a year sooner than ready will work out for him. I tell you this much, hes got the best for work for a big man I’ve seen in a long, long time.
Yes being a senior in college is an automatic death blow to a player's NBA Draft prospects. Take a look at the blue in this chart, light blue is where Adama is now. Dark blue is where he'd be next year

13CDFFAF-7255-42EB-AA72-8EF9D27329A2.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom