Zags: Adama Sanogo declaring for the NBA Draft | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Zags: Adama Sanogo declaring for the NBA Draft

Reaction Score
Articles are all quoting some unnamed scout who said he doesn't think he'll be drafted and, at best, he'll go late second.

I think that's crazy. Putting aside whether he's actually one of the best 60 prospects, there's no way that there's not a single front office that isn't high on him after watching UConn's fun -- and seeing him make 3s and FTs in addition to showing off his footwork. All it takes is one enamored GM. I'd be shocked if he isn't gone by #50.

Problem is that he's probably going to have to guard 5s in NBA. And in PnR coverage he can't drop. When we were doing more drop with him in January it went poorly. So there's s bunch of teams that will pass on a 2nd rounder that can't fit their scheme or doesn't have the flexibility to play all schemes. And that's because of and on top of his physical limitations. He's short for the position and doesn't have vertical explosion.

Playing 4 would be impossible in a lot of matchups for him. Jayson Tatum? Giannis? Jimmy Butler? These are the guys and types that play 4 in the NBA. You have to be closer to an Omax Prosper type to defend 4s in the NBA.

I think he's a crazy worker and somebody should give him a roster spot and let him get improving. And I assume he gets drafted, but I'm skeptical it'll be before the 2nd half of round 2. He'll probably be a 2-way guy.

Reaction Score
Can someone explain the rules regarding draft eligibility and maintaining college eligibility? Is there a date in which they have to commit to one or the other after testing the waters?

Reaction Score
The first NBA team that figures out how to incorporate a back-to-the-basket big in an analytics system is going to pick up 10 extra wins. I hope Adama is part of that team.
What made him great this year was that he wasn't doing a lot of inefficient back-to-the-basket iso post-up stuff. There was a lot more movement, cross-screens, face-up, and, yes, spot up 3s.

Reaction Score
Can someone explain the rules regarding draft eligibility and maintaining college eligibility? Is there a date in which they have to commit to one or the other after testing the waters?
Have to withdraw by May 31 for NCAA. Also if you sign with certain certified agents if you go undrafted you can return, but I don't think he did that.

Reaction Score
May 31 is the last date to pull your name out of the draft and return to college

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
One area he beats Zion (and probably 99% of the league) is hard work and discipline. To achieve what he did during the tournament while observing Ramadan fasting is no joke

This is a lot of words to say "I have no idea what I'm talking about"
I have no idea either, but something tells me if the NBA doesn't work out a high end French team will.

Reaction Score
Yes being a senior in college is an automatic death blow to a player's NBA Draft prospects. Take a look at the blue in this chart, light blue is where Adama is now. Dark blue is where he'd be next year

View attachment 87359
Not disagreeing with you about nba drafting on potential but this graphic is a bit disingenuous. Didn’t the ncaa/nba require a hardship waiver in your jr year to be draft eligible? Or is my memory shot?

Reaction Score
I have no idea either, but something tells me if the NBA doesn't work out a high end French team will.

Exactly. Which is why anyone insinuating Adama made a poor decision needs to get called out. The kid has presented homself as nothing but a good, smart hardworking dude. He isn't going pro unless it was in his best interests.

Reaction Score
Not disagreeing with you about nba drafting on potential but this graphic is a bit disingenuous. Didn’t the ncaa/nba require a hardship waiver in your jr year to be draft eligible? Or is my memory shot?
Not that I'm aware of, I don't remember anything like that unless it was a rule a while ago before I was following basketball

Reaction Score
Like I said, he used a lot of words that amount to "I have no idea what I'm talking about"
U can keep saying that but if it was so automatic that he leaves why was he 50/50 going into the day of his announcement ? Obviously , it was not an ez decision and there were pros and cons both ways. U make it sound like it was a no brainer

Reaction Score
Already knew Sanogo was leaving before the season started and it’s the right decision.

Here’s an idea react to news and not internet rumors or even player quotes. Would imagine Sanogo saying he was 50/50 is to not take any attention away from our national title parade celebration.

Reaction Score
U can keep saying that but if it was so automatic that he leaves why was he 50/50 going into the day of his announcement ? Obviously , it was not an ez decision and there were pros and cons both ways

Well at least you didn't write four paragraphs of nonsense this time. Only one.

He likes his coach and team. Of course it isn't an easy decision. I wouldn't have called you an idiot if all you did was say it was a difficult decision. It is also laughable that you really think he made up his mind YESTERDAY. Get a grip brother.

Saying that Adama made the wrong decision because he can make more money in NIL than in Europe (you don't know that) was what made you an idiot. Thinking Adama wouldn't takr feedback and make the best decision for himself is what made you an idiot. Adama could very well get a 6 million dollar contract in a top French league. Or he could get 100k in a Lithuanian B-league. None of us know.

Some of us assume he made the right decision because he's an intelligent guy with an excellent support network here. Others like you assume he's doing the wrong thing out of some selfish hope he can win a few more games at UConn instead of making the best personal financial decision for himself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Zion will be out of the league in a few years. He is constantly hurt and has gained quite a but of weight. His play style cannot sustain his body weight lol
RJ Barrett was ranked higher than Zion coming out of high school. If you could draft again would RJ go b4 Zion. RJ actually averaged 20 pts a game this year and I think he just turned 22. I knew Zion was going to be injury prone just simple physics when someone that big lands from going up 44” almost 4ft, things are going to go boom. The only way he has a long career is by being 30 lbs lighter. Still wish him the best, but speaking as a Knicks fan I am glad we got RJ as it has to be very frustrating for Pelican fans.

Reaction Score
Adama made a baseline move that we all saw and opened my eyes as to how mobile he was to the rim. I’m no NBA expert but it would seem the way he works on things and improved here that he would have an NBA career.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
RJ Barrett was ranked higher than Zion coming out of high school. If you could draft again would RJ go b4 Zion. RJ actually averaged 20 pts a game this year and I think he just turned 22. I knew Zion was going to be injury prone just simple physics when someone that big lands from going up 44” almost 4ft, things are going to go boom. The only way he has a long career is by being 30 lbs lighter. Still wish him the best, but speaking as a Knicks fan I am glad we got RJ as it has to be very frustrating for Pelican fans.

I would take Zion over RJ right now, easy. He's just that much better, as injury prone as he is. Just like I'd take Anthony Davis or Kawhi Leonard over less injury prone guys from their classes. Barrett is a nice player. Zion is a stud.

(Note: it's weird he sat out and if it turns out to be a psychological issue a la Simmons, his value will evaporate. I'm assuming it's physical at this point.)

Back to the thread, I'd been assumingthat there was no way both Clingan and Sanogo would return, so when Don said he was coming back I figured out it was a done deal with Adama.

Reaction Score
Well at least you didn't write four paragraphs of nonsense this time. Only one.

He likes his coach and team. Of course it isn't an easy decision. I wouldn't have called you an idiot if all you did was say it was a difficult decision. It is also laughable that you really think he made up his mind YESTERDAY. Get a grip brother.

Saying that Adama made the wrong decision because he can make more money in NIL than in Europe (you don't know that) was what made you an idiot. Thinking Adama wouldn't takr feedback and make the best decision for himself is what made you an idiot. Adama could very well get a 6 million dollar contract in a top French league. Or he could get 100k in a Lithuanian B-league. None of us know.

Some of us assume he made the right decision because he's an intelligent guy with an excellent support network here. Others like you assume he's doing the wrong thing out of some selfish hope he can win a few more games at UConn instead of making the best personal financial decision for himself.
One thing I didn’t think about until I read “French league” is the fact that unlike a lot of other players, Adama is already an international kid playing away from home, family etc.

The hope and goal of course is the NBA. That being said, playing internationally due to his experience doing it already, as well as the numerous languages he speaks, may be less intimidating than it would be to others.

Reaction Score
When Navery and I agree on something you're probably really wrong. lol

I'm happy Sanogo cashed in while his stock wouldn't be higher. It's hard to have a better season than being MOP and winning a National Championship. He put a lot of great things on tape about how dominant he can be without the offense necessarily having to go through him late in the season.

If Wayne Gabriel and Dwight Powell can get minutes on teams, I just can't see Sanogo a NBA where Sanogo can't find a spot too.
It's insane Dwight Powell and Maxi Kleber were the frontcourt in the Western Conference finals last season.

Reaction Score
I would take Zion over RJ right now, easy. He's just that much better, as injury prone as he is. Just like I'd take Anthony Davis or Kawhi Leonard over less injury prone guys from their classes. Barrett is a nice player. Zion is a stud.

(Note: it's weird he sat out and if it turns out to be a psychological issue a la Simmons, his value will evaporate. I'm assuming it's physical at this point.)

Back to the thread, I'd been assumingthat there was no way both Clingan and Sanogo would return, so when Don said he was coming back I figured out it was a done deal with Adama.
It's looking more and more like Zion will be a bust. He's pretty amazing when he plays but he hardly ever plays and whatever he's doing now isn't a good look. The team is running damage control for him.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
It's insane Dwight Powell and Maxi Kleber were the frontcourt in the Western Conference finals last season.
Luka is generational. Now if only the Mavs front office can get right.

If not, I’d love if he found a way to get to Denver with Jokic. Just too perfect of a fit.

Reaction Score
Adama is surrounded by family/advisors/coaches who have his best interests at heart. Both professionally and personally. He is an intelligent young man who has given/will give a lot of thought to his next steps/future and make educated decisions.

There is no question in my mind that the feedback he has been given by his trusted advisors/NBA GMs/scouts is positive enough for him to move forward and leave college .. He has earned the right to do that..

Reaction Score
Luka is generational. Now if only the Mavs front office can get right.

If not, I’d love if he found a way to get to Denver with Jokic. Just too perfect of a fit.
Cuban has been a disaster since Dirk went off in that playoffs and won them a championship.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
He can play in the NBA as someone said in the right situation and I would love him on the Celtics as he would fill in for a tough rebounder and would give them solid minutes

My guess he will be a second-round pick

Reaction Score
He played spectacularly down the stretch. His physicality down low and sheer hustle helped tremendously. He won’t have that advantage in the NBA with some very big grown arse men. He’s also small for a 5 and not quick enough at 4. He’s about in the best position he can be and should get whatever the pro route offers. I suspect he will be a prime overseas player, and will make some good money.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom