WVU BE settlement rumors starting to surface.... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

WVU BE settlement rumors starting to surface....

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
God I hope that this isn't true. It would be such an epic cave by the conference.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
the BE can't settle because they can't have Cuse and Pitt do the same and leave next year

furthermore, that sets a precedent for any other school thinking about bolting

Reaction Score
Something has to break one way or the other. Conference schedules need to be announced, additional OOC games need to be found for whichever conference the Luck'eers don't land in. The whole thing is FUBAR.

Reaction Score
This rumor better stay as a rumor. If not, then it's APPEASEMENT DNA like that of Neville Chamberlain ie, weakness, cowardice and yellowbellies.
"Peace in our time". Historically, we all know how that worked out. Six years of international strife. Only difference, after WWII hostilities ceased & war reparations were done, all major combatants emerged stronger in the economic world. Is that applicable in your analogy? Only if the Big East gets that huge payday in its next television contract.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You have to consider the cost to the BE of fighting these two lawsuits in different forums. It's a losing battle. They haven't been able to get a permanent injunction on WVU, and probably realize the odds are no better than 50-50 on that. They may very well fight the lawsuits only to come away with just money damages anyway.

So it wouldn't surprise me if they had agreement from Pitt and Cuse not to leave until after next season (ACC wasn't counting on them and didn't schedule them anyway), plus discussion with at least one new school to play in the BE next season. If they haven't covered these bases, then I'd really question their competence (which we all do already).

Reaction Score
You have to consider the cost to the BE of fighting these two lawsuits in different forums. It's a losing battle. They haven't been able to get a permanent injunction on WVU, and probably realize the odds are no better than 50-50 on that. They may very well fight the lawsuits only to come away with just money damages anyway.

So it wouldn't surprise me if they had agreement from Pitt and Cuse not to leave until after next season (ACC wasn't counting on them and didn't schedule them anyway), plus discussion with at least one new school to play in the BE next season. If they haven't covered these bases, then I'd really question their competence (which we all do already).

Your first paragraph makes no sense. They haven't had no success to date -- they are waiting for their hearing date which will allow time for an injunction to be issued well before the start of the season. There is no basis -- none -- to imply that anything has gone poorly in the litigation to date.

Reaction Score
Who knows what is true, but as for what is being leaked, tweeted or just outright lies. Oklahoma @ WVU 9/22. WVU @ Texas 11/10 and WVU @ OK State 10/20. I made my reservations at the Marriott next to the stadium this morning for the Oklahoma game and they gave me the same date that is floating around the net. Who knows, I could have reservations for a completely different BE game that weekend, but why take the chance. Got to love reservations that can be cancelled for no charge.

Reaction Score
"Peace in our time". Historically, we all know how that worked out. Six years of international strife. Only difference, after WWII hostilities ceased & war reparations were done, all major combatants emerged stronger in the economic world. Is that applicable in your analogy? Only if the Big East gets that huge payday in its next television contract.

Coach,

If this rumor doesn't die, my analogy is directed squarely at the conference for its unwillingness to get down and dirty, mean what it said as it relates to 27 months clause ("it's not the money, it's the principal") and stop sabre rattling and draw blood from the enemy and prove that its not going to be somebody's bitch for change. And in doing so, place some pain and suffering into the lives of the big 12 and acc .

To me, football is a collision and contact sport off the field, too. It's a game that is played to get ahead at any cost. It's not a gentlemen's game . It has a high element of thugs and high testosterone driven people called boosters, coaches, ads and tv executives that are corrupt and will do almost anything to get the results they want. It's a turf war, alpha dog sport that looks for to beat down into submission. At the end of the day, it's a corrupt sport where at some programs the head coaches are more powerful than its presidents. You have to be willing to use every conceivable method to tilt the playing field to your advantage. I ask you, does this sound like the Big East we've come to know?

Figuratvely speaking, the Big East should be blocking, tackling, clothes lining, punching and stomping WVA, Pitt and 'Cuse from leaving before 27 months clause unless something better comes along. If not, then it confirms what they already believed in that the conference is a punk that cuts and runs when it's time to throw down and thus becomes another conference's bitch and then call a law firm to save its .

As for the analogy of reperations and the next tv contract. I wasn't thinking about that. But I give you props for your forward thinking. My hope is that the Big East signs a massive contract with NBC, and without a full blown playoff espn cannot keep pace to cover the rising tution cost of its clients and the government bust the exclusive club.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Swaim is an immature Big XII homer who's been cheapshot-ing the Big East all day (I think a Big East blogger hurt his widdle feewings last night or something). It's kinda difficult to take what he reports seriously.

Who does he write for, btw? I have no clue...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Your first paragraph makes no sense. They haven't had no success to date -- they are waiting for their hearing date which will allow time for an injunction to be issued well before the start of the season. There is no basis -- none -- to imply that anything has gone poorly in the litigation to date.

I didn't say it has gone poorly. But the hearing is set for after the presumed deadline to fix the schedules for both conferences, which is far before the start of the season. WVU failed in their effort to expedite it. But that failure hurts the BE as well, if the result isn't a permanent injunction, as the BE will be left scrambling. I'm suggesting that an early resolution is beneficial to both sides, and saves litigation costs.

Reaction Score
There is absolutely zero chance that WVa is playing anywhere but the B12 next year. Holding on to any other ridiculous idea is nothing more than a pipe dream of legitimacy for the BE.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
There is absolutely zero chance that WVa is playing anywhere but the B12 next year. Holding on to any other ridiculous idea is nothing more than a pipe dream of legitimacy for the BE.

You've made a firm, coherently declarative statement on this subject - congratulations.

You are now more than welcome to provide any available and pertinent data you may have to support said statement. We are anxious to learn the source of your extreme confidence in this matter...

Reaction Score

What better happen if WVA calls out the National Guard to help them exercise its freedom of choice, the Big East better be ready to dish out some beat down freedom of consequences on them and double down with it on Oliver Luck. I'm sick of Luck and his pre game hype and wolfing. The reality is that the Big East can and better hold WVU.

If I were the commissioner and the moment Gangster Boy Oliver Luck started running his flapper dogging the conference I would have an emissary introduce Mr. Luck to Mr. Crips and Mr. Bloods, gentlemen whom are responsible for the Health and Welfare for the conference. That's all. I'm sensationalizing somewhat of course, but the conference needs to step up and go at WVU one thug to another and dish out equal and opposing thuggery. No, it's not pleasant, but it's football. It's the answer and the only way he'll get it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This rumor better stay as a rumor. If not, then it's APPEASEMENT DNA like that of Neville Chamberlain ie, weakness, cowardice and yellowbellies.

I hate that analogy. It's cheap, all heat and no light. Y'know some say Chamberlain took one for the team. England was in no position to take on Germany at that that point. He bought time until they were in position to defend themselves.

Reaction Score
You've made a firm, coherently declarative statement on this subject - congratulations.

You are now more than welcome to provide any available and pertinent data you may have to support said statement. We are anxious to learn the source of your extreme confidence in this matter...

Would you prefer history or current reality?

The fact of the matter is, WVa is going to pay their fine and be on their way. They don't want to be in the BE, the BE doesn't want a lame duck (that will more than likely win their conference again if they were to compete in it) and they really aren't going to want a member institution bashing the league every chance they get.

The whole idea of keeping WVa in the BE is ridiculous anyways. It's as if your girlfriend dumps you so in turn you tie her up and force her to stay at your place for the duration.

Reaction Score

The fact of the matter is, WVa is going to pay their fine and be on their way. They don't want to be in the BE, the BE doesn't want a lame duck (that will more than likely win their conference again if they were to compete in it) and they really aren't going to want a member institution bashing the league every chance they get.

The whole idea of keeping WVa in the BE is ridiculous anyways. It's as if your girlfriend dumps you so in turn you tie her up and force her to stay at your place for the duration.

Really? That's just silly. Syracuse and Pitt have no problem with it. The legal minds in WV must be far superior to those in New York and Pennsylvania. If WVU is allowed to leave, its because the BE has no backbone or because it benefits the BE in some way. It is certainly not because WVU "should" be allowed to just up and walk out whenever they want.

As I've said before, WVU and UL fans continue to act like the Big East has never done a thing for them, when reality is both would be drowning in the same pool of piss Memphis is without the Big East.

Reaction Score

What's ridiculous is a University signing a contract committing to giving 27 months notice, reaffirming the contract in October of '11, only to decide they don't want to play by the rules they just committed to a couple months later.

I'm happy for WVU that they got out and are in the B12. I was hoping you'd have gotten the SEC (where you really wanted to be), but Luck's posturing and behavior since then has been ridiculous. If SU or Pitt acted this way when they first announced, Luck and the WVU group would have been leading the charge to hold them to the contractual agreement they committed to, the 27 month notice period. Shady, shady doings.

Reaction Score
Really? That's just silly. Syracuse and Pitt have no problem with it. The legal minds in WV must be far superior to those in New York and Pennsylvania. If WVU is allowed to leave, its because the BE has no backbone or because it benefits the BE in some way. It is certainly not because WVU "should" be allowed to just up and walk out whenever they want.

As I've said before, WVU and UL fans continue to act like the Big East has never done a thing for them, when reality is both would be drowning in the same pool of piss Memphis is without the Big East.
If the rumored stipulation of the buyout that the B12 cannot take another BE team is true, that's actually a very good deal for the BE, if you want to see it survive. You let a team that's already going to leave go a couple of years early, get some extra money, and a signed deal saying you won't lose another team to them. More money and a bit more stability in exchange for two less years for WVU.

Another potential upside is if the Big 12 is shut off from BE teams, they may look toward those ACC teams mentioned as potential candidates, meaning the ACC would have open spots to fill, and we'd likely be one of the first schools they look at taking.

The downside I see of this is if SU and Pitt go for the same deal, the Big East of course would require the ACC to agree to the same no more taking Big East teams deal, which would be a major roadblock for us.

Reaction Score
If the rumored stipulation of the buyout that the B12 cannot take another BE team is true, that's actually a very good deal for the BE, if you want to see it survive. You let a team that's already going to leave go a couple of years early, get some extra money, and a signed deal saying you won't lose another team to them. More money and a bit more stability in exchange for two less years for WVU.
If you are Uconn's president (or RU's or Lville'sm etc), how do you let the BE put a clause like that into any settlement? Not one school would look to limit their options particularly if one the remaining big 4 moves to either the B1G or ACC (Uconn, RU, Lville and Cinci). You need the ability to move to the best available home as soon as you can and not be limited by some back ass stipulation just because the 'Eers want out early. And if you are the Big 12, no way you would sign that either because if TX bolts, you want to add someone fast and Lville seems to fit that slot real fast. That rumored stipulation is just internet BS.

Reaction Score

Oh stop it. If it's that ridiculous, why did WVU and every other member agree not to leave without 27 months notice prior to the end of a conference year. You may ultimately be right, but we know you are an idiot.

Reaction Score

You sign an agreement that I can use your brand for promotion of my product and will give me 27 months notice before you end the agreement, I expend funds to set up my business with use of your brand, we all agree that money damages wouldn't be enough that I can get an injuction to keep using your brand; and you don't think that is an agreement that the courts would support? Seems very similar to the BE agreement, not your girlfriend example.

I don't care if WV wins the BE next year (if Uconn doesn't), I don't care if WV bad mouths the BE, I don't care if WV refuses to play any of the scheduled games. All I want is the agreement to be enforced and the injunction/penalty/payments to be as agreed. WV, Pitt and Syracuse are important collegate sports brands and agreed to particpate in BE sports and have the BE benefit from the use of their brands (and their brands benefit from being in the BE).

Not sure if even an injuction can force WV to play sport in the BE (if WV can handle the daily fines), pretty sure it can preclude them from playing elsewhere for 27 months as no other league is going to want the legal costs of that.

Reaction Score
it's not ridiculous to keep WVU here for a little while longer because if we let them leave we'll also have to let Pitt and Cuse leave, and we'd be setting precedent for when Louisville, Cinci, or even we want to leave. letting WVU walk easily will open a floodgates out of the conference and i don't think the Big East can handle that shock right now. the BE needs to keep things civil and orderly so they can transition in the new teams. personally i don't want to see WVU here past next year, and i think letting them settle that gets them out one year early will be the ultimate result

Reaction Score
The whole thing will get real interesting soon. The big 12, by what I can find online, has contract stipulations with their broadcasting rights and revenue, such that the football schedule for fall needs to be out on February 1st. I don't know if they've worked to extend that or not, but it's more than safe to say, that the longer this mess drags out for the big 12, the more money they stand to lose.

At this point in time, there is no legal grounds I'm aware of that would allow the Big 12 to publish a schedule with West Virginia on it, without opening themselves to major, major litigation. Lawyers.....correct me if I'm wrong.

I've read rumors that the big 12 is pursuing other programs to join the conference for 2012, which isn't too far fetched given the circumstance they find theselves in and standing to be in breach of their media contracts due to having too few games to schedule. Allowing Missouri to leave so quickly without having WVU on board 100% was plain stupidity.

If those rumors are true, that they're pursuing other colleges, they'd be completely idiotic to go after another big east program, but that doesn't preclude the possibility, see previous paragraph about stupidity.

It' also the case as of 48 hours ago, that the exit fee from the big east is now $10million.

Now as for the big east, the big east has every legal right to publish schedules or fall sports schedules with West Virginia included, and I anticipate that the schedules will be out to public by the end of February, as normal, with WVU included, unless something drastic happens in the next few weeks.

THe only thing that can happen, is that WVU agrees to buy themselves out, and they very well might, because I don't see legally how an injunction in RI would ever be enforced in WV, and I think that the chances of a WV court ruling in favor of an injunction, even though a judge should rule in favor - is slim. JMO. Again...lawyers....correct me if I'm wrong.

IF , in the next few weeks, they manage to get the big east to agree to a buyout, the payoff is going to be unprecedented. I don't see how the big east would agree to allow WVU out, without a HUGE base settlement fee, and then withholding the B-Ball money and futures they are owed, and THEN....this is the kicker - tacking on the expenses that the Big East footbal programs will incur to fill the schedules with the hole that WVU would leave.

We're alking settlement fees here that could very well approach $40-$50 million on rough estimate.

What Luck and Neinas have done is so stupid, that it makes Flipper's foot in mouth act about ESPN and the ACC and Swofford look like grade school.

Our big east leadership is not dumb folks, they've just been misguided for a long while. We are on the right track now.

Reaction Score
If the B12 invited WVU, UConn, Cincy, Rutgers and Ville would that solve the problem?

Would they invite UConn in that scenario or would they prefer USF?

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I can't believe that this rumor regarding the Big East not allowing the Big XII to take more BE schools is part of a settlement between the BE and WVU. The league would be settling with a school, not another league so I don't see how WVU can be negotiating terms that directly affect a third party not named in the suit.

The BE can settle with a school and allow the school its independence, and that school could then go to another league on its own free will, but to tell another league how it can act when that other league is not even a party in this suit seems a little far-fetched. Perhaps if I'm mistaken someone like BL could correct me, but I don't really see how that term could be included in a settlement between a league and a school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom