Men - Wins Needed for a 2024 At Large bid | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Men Wins Needed for a 2024 At Large bid

Reaction Score
College baseball:

Much like my opinion regarding Uconn needing to win the BE reg season’s title, and it’s importance, I’m not sure this loss for St. John’s is as bad as it appears. All tough midweeks at this point in the season, especially with conference tourneys starting. I think if the committee is valuing St. John’s before I think they still are. A BE loss would be more detrimental imo

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
LOL…

Lexington, Ky.
1. (1) Kentucky^*
2. UConn*
3. Virginia Tech
4. North Dakota State*

With UConn being projected as a 2 seed, it would seem that the team is in pretty good shape for getting an at large bid, unless they do not win the Butler series and/or if they do do well in the Big East Tourney.

Xavier is projected as a regional 3 seed, St. John's as one of the first 4 teams not to make the Tourney.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
The no contest was valuable to UConn because Thomas Ellison threw 3 good innings. Having that elusive 4th starter in a Tournament setting is huge. Ellison for 3, Van Emon seems better suited out of the pen can go 6 and save the bullpen. Just a wishful thought.

Reaction Score
LOL…

Lexington, Ky.
1. (1) Kentucky^*
2. UConn*
3. Virginia Tech
4. North Dakota State*

IMG_0744.jpeg

Xavier is a 3 in Knoxville.

Reaction Score
UConn will be the only team getting the second bid out of the BE based on today’s action. X would have at least 10 league losses, SJU a 50+ RPI post-tourney as a runner up. Forget G’Town.

Reaction Score
Wow, that was much more nerve wracking than I had hoped for. But again, we pulled out a victory. Chart is all Green. We are in best position of any BE team, to receive an At Large bid.

But we are in no means a shoe in. Still need to keep winning. I would like to see at least 3 more wins, for me to be comfortable on selection day.

Go Huskies!!!

post season Criteria
(1) 30 - 21/ .588.... 33- 24 / .579
(2) 10 - 3 / .769….. 11 - 4 / .733
(3) 42.... < 49Team RPI
(4) 7th........ < 8 Conf RPI
(5) 1st ........ Top 2 Big East

Reaction Score
With UConn being projected as a 2 seed, it would seem that the team is in pretty good shape for getting an at large bid, unless they do not win the Butler series and/or if they do do well in the Big East Tourney.

Xavier is projected as a regional 3 seed, St. John's as one of the first 4 teams not to make the Tourney.
No. What it shows you is that in the mind of some people doing mock brackets we are in even if we don’t win the Big East tourney (barring a collapse in Indy the next two day).

I still think we’re on the outside looking in for an at large bid. But I hope we never find out because we take the auto bid, and if we do find out I hope I’m wrong.

Reaction Score
The info that would be good to know is if teams form power conferences with <40 RPIs and 18+ losses in conference have generally gotten bids. Georgia was a no last year at 41/11-19. There are a bunch who are way under water with high RPIs this year. Florida, Vandy, Miss, LSU, even throw UCF in there, Maryland sub .500. When it comes to greasy conference influence, I don’t think we want to test it. That being said, I think JoeT has it right. Interesting year for this with lots of big games left.

Reaction Score
Keep in mind that the actual bubble line is almost always going to rise from where it is now. There will likely be some upsets in conference tournaments that steal bids from teams who are currently forecast as at large candidates

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Keep in mind that the actual bubble line is almost always going to rise from where it is now. There will likely be some upsets in conference tournaments that steal bids from teams who are currently forecast as at large candidates
Which is why I feel more comfortable about projections when we're listed as a two seed than we are as a three seed.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Even though we know this isn't a vintage UConn team, the rest of the country does NOT know this. Last year, the committee head had no idea about us and admitted it. I venture to say that is the case this year. They see the UConn name and finally it carries some weight.

Are we in? NO. Gotta get at least 1 more against Butler(2 is better) and must get to Big East finals. Winning it means no agita, which is opposite of what this team has given us this year.

Reaction Score
Stress free win today. Always get greedy when we win our first 2 of weekend, let’s get that sweep tomorrow.

We have won 21 of last 26 games, which is an .808 winning percentage. Also we have won every BE weekend series. I know the BE isn’t the SEC, but being the 7th ranked conference is not bad. Big improvement over last year. I believe BE was ranked 11th in 2023.

I think we are in, unless we fall on our face. Meaning losing the next 3 games. Even then I believe we would still have a chance. But it would be nerve wracking watching the selection show. Let’s just keep winning.

Again chart all Green.

Go Huskies!!!

post season Criteria
(1) 31 - 21/ .596.... 33- 24 / .579
(2) 11 - 3 / .786….. 11 - 4 / .733
(3) 39.... < 49Team RPI

Reaction Score
Stress free win today. Always get greedy when we win our first 2 of weekend, let’s get that sweep tomorrow.

We have won 21 of last 26 games, which is an .808 winning percentage. Also we have won every BE weekend series. I know the BE isn’t the SEC, but being the 7th ranked conference is not bad. Big improvement over last year. I believe BE was ranked 11th in 2023.

I think we are in, unless we fall on our face. Meaning losing the next 3 games. Even then I believe we would still have a chance. But it would be nerve wracking watching the selection show. Let’s just keep winning.

Again chart all Green.

Go Huskies!!!

post season Criteria
(3) 39.... < 49Team RPI

From what I remember, the last few years the Big East RPI was around 13 each of those seasons.

Well, I just looked it up on the Warren Nolan website. In 2023 the Big East RPI was 12, and the previous 2 seasons the conference RPI was at 13 in both those seasons.

So yes, this season the Big East showed a nice improvement climbing to 7 in the Conference RPI.

Reaction Score

-> At-Large Candidates:

Connecticut continues to surge with a 12-2 victory over Butler. As the Big East champion with a top 40 RPI, the Huskies look like a solid at-large club.

St. John’s bounced back from Thursday’s loss with a 6-4 win over Georgetown. The Red Storm are now 14-6 in the Big East with a 57 RPI. The Big East Tournament will be vital to their success.

Xavier entered the weekend with a great shot at an at-large berth but has scuffled with a pair of home losses to Villanova, losing 8-5 Thursday and 8-6 Friday. Xavier’s RPI has fallen 16 spots to 39, making next week’s Big East Tournament even bigger. <-

Reaction Score

Again chart all Green.

Go Huskies!!!

post season Criteria
(3) 39.... < 49Team RPI
I think their in as an at-large. They avoided a disaster road trip, nice to get the sweep though.

NCAA seeding is where/why I think the BE tourn matters. A favorable draw is really needed.

Reaction Score
If UConn should win the BE tournament, a 2 seed is most likely…but where they slot them it will be against a strong SEC/B12 host with UConn being the favorable draw for those schools…otherwise I think Uconn may be better with a 3 seed anywhere.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
For the remainder of the season my hope is that our top two starters (however Penders/MacDonald determine which two) hold up. Conference tournament possibly aside, I cannot see us survivng a four school, double elimination tournament while fighted our way through the losers bracket. We'll run out of arms too early.

Reaction Score
For the remainder of the season my hope is that our top two starters (however Penders/MacDonald determine which two) hold up. Conference tournament possibly aside, I cannot see us survivng a four school, double elimination tournament while fighted our way through the losers bracket. We'll run out of arms too early.
I think they have around 5 arms they can enter the regionals with and feel pretty good about. A collection of some guys who on any day can be dangerous against anybody…the wide variance is where it’s an issue. Quinn Afthim Van Emon and Cinnella are the wildcards imo. Sully Ellisen, Finnegan Carrea will get work and how they perform will be the reason they escape a losers bracket or afford them the depth to advance.

Reaction Score
Latest Bracketology from D1 Baseball.com has UConn in Corvallis with Oregon State, TCU, and St. Louis..UConn #2

While Oregon travels cross country to Wake Forest.

All things considered this would be a great 2 seed, they’ll have stayed out of the Big12 and SEC before the Supers

Reaction Score
Really surprised Xavier blowing any chances they had by losing at home to Villanova. The other part of that is it will be a very desperate team in the tourney and as essentially the home team it will be a tough first game for us. Was hoping not to draw Xavier right out of the gates.

Reaction Score
Really surprised Xavier blowing any chances they had by losing at home to Villanova. The other part of that is it will be a very desperate team in the tourney and as essentially the home team it will be a tough first game for us. Was hoping not to draw Xavier right out of the gates.
Yea it makes for a dangerous team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom