Who should UCONN be playing on rivalry weekend? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Who should UCONN be playing on rivalry weekend?

Who should UCONN be playing rivialry weekend?

• Memphis

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cincinatti

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Temple

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • UMASS

Votes: 22 56.4%
  • NAVY

Votes: 2 5.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's amazing how delusional this fan base is. We stick up our noses at the AAC (which we are currently resting comfortably at the bottom of) and say that our rivalry game should be against a team that won't play us, we have no real history of playing in football, and I'm pretty sure we have never beaten in football.

I'm not sticking my nose up at the AAC. It's kind of been forced up by the bad smell.

Reaction Score
Rutgers was becoming a decent rivalry before they left. Boston College would be a good New England rivalry in theory, but politics is continually preventing that from happening. So...

Rutgers
Syracuse
Boston College

would seem like appropriate, geographic rivals. Problem is, we're clearly not competitive, with or without a rivalry.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
This game only helps Uconn. BC gets a schedule that includes annual games against FSU, Pitt, Cuse, VTech and Clemson. They also get Wake every year. They get ND 3 out of the next 5 years. They just finished home and home with USC. And a game against Uconn would help them? It helps them just as much as a game against UMass does. A non-P5 OOC game filled only with down side risk.

Uconn could not sell out Yankee Stadium against Army. Uconn can not sell out the Rent but would magically have 50% of Gillette? I get the Uconn hate of BC. But is it equal on the BC side? It takes 2 sides to build a rivalry. Right now, it is BC-Cuse for BC with a long history on both sides with each costing the other shots at significant bowl games in the past.

And yet BC can't sell all of those magical games against FSU, Pitt, Cuse, VTech, Clemson and USCw. Apathy for BC athletics is at an all-time high. BC is a bowl team and yet they still can't sell out their own building against the ACC competition and USC games that you mentioned. Why is that? Apathy. What cures apathy? Local rivalries.

Yes, UCONN fans would swarm to whatever venue a BC/UCONN fan is played in. UCONN just brought 16+K to Yankee Stadium to watch two lousy 2-win teams play. UCONN is not always going to be this bad as they have been in the past 2 seasons. You put a bowl eligible UCONN team versus a bowl eligible BC team and yes, you easily have a rowdy, electric 50/50 split at Gillette. No question about that.

And about selling out Yankee Stadium - the only game to have sold out Yankee was 2010 Notre Dame vs Army. RU vs Army in 2012 drew 30K...and that's when RU had a shot at winning the Big East title. The fact that UCONN brought some 16+K fans to Yankee for a horrendous game between two horrendous teams is a testament of UCONN's presence in the northeast. Play that game again when UCONN is bowl eligible and you very easily have well over 20K UCONN fans. Or play that game against a team that we UCONN fans hate (BC), and you easily have well over 20K UCONN fans in the building.

You BC fans would very quickly hate UCONN as much as we hate you guys. UCONN fans hate BC for their role in keeping UCONN stuck in the AAC. BC fans hate the idea of UCONN infringing on "their turf". The game makes sense for BC because it will give this area a needed rivalry game on a high level. BC can't sell out their own building for marquee games like USCw and ACC games. BC is in need of some enthusiasm. If BC truly sees UCONN as a game against UMASS, then why continue to schedule UMASS annually and not UCONN? UCONN would bring more money and attention to any game against BC and you know it.

Reaction Score
Navy would move the Army game for us. (joke)

Duh on my part. I was thinking it's our rivalry game, not theirs, and we play it in November. Nevermind.

Reaction Score
because it's like the basketball team saying that University of Hartford is an arch rival.
I don't get the attitude towards UMass either. Sure I'd like to see Penn St, Pitt, Cuse , BC and Maryland scheduled on a fairly regular basis but guess what? They don't want or need to play UConn. Scratch that.... they just don't want to play UConn. UMass does though. And... the Huskies get to play in a pro stadium(instead of a baseball field) thanks to UMass. I was just looking over future matchups for UMass and it seems some of those schools would rather be playing the Minutemen than the Huskies so I wouldn't be looking down my nose at them. They're going to be playing Florida, Vandy, Colorado a few times, Temple, Indiana, Army and an away game at Hawaii along with Notre Dame. They've played Penn St. When was the last time UConn played Penn St in football?

I think UConn and UMass should be fairly regular if not a yearly thing(hey don't be surprised if UMass ends up in the AAC sooner than later). If the crowds are raucous and the games competitive enough to create some buzz in New England maybe BC will finally take a hint and get us on their schedule.

Reaction Score
I don't get the attitude towards UMass either. Sure I'd like to see Penn St, Pitt, Cuse , BC and Maryland scheduled on a fairly regular basis but guess what? They don't want or need to play UConn. Scratch that.... they just don't want to play UConn. UMass does though. And... the Huskies get to play in a pro stadium(instead of a baseball field) thanks to UMass. I was just looking over future matchups for UMass and it seems some of those schools would rather be playing the Minutemen than the Huskies so I wouldn't be looking down my nose at them. They're going to be playing Florida, Vandy, Colorado a few times, Temple, Indiana, Army and an away game at Hawaii along with Notre Dame. They've played Penn St. When was the last time UConn played Penn St in football?

I think UConn and UMass should be fairly regular if not a yearly thing(hey don't be surprised if UMass ends up in the AAC sooner than later). If the crowds are raucous and the games competitive enough to create some buzz in New England maybe BC will finally take a hint and get us on their schedule.

The question is would UCONN play one and dones at these places as UMASS has? It's as simple as that. P5 Schools want as many home games as possible w/o having to play return dates on the road.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The question is would UCONN play one and dones at these places as UMASS has? It's as simple as that. P5 Schools want as many home games as possible w/o having to play return dates on the road.

As part of the deal to build Rentschler Field, the state of CT put into law that UCONN must play all "home" games at Rentschler Field until a certain year (I think that year is 2017). I think the first choice, obviously, is to try to schedule home and homes. But getting schools to agree to come to the Rent is difficult and we can't change our home venue without the blessing of our state legislature.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Personally, I think UCONN is getting to a point where it needs to consider scheduling one and done payout games on the road. But I'm not sure there would be majority agreement amongst the UCONN fanbase with this. I think many UCONN fans think that getting schools to come to the Rent is easy and that we shouldn't agree to play anyone without a return trip to Connecticut scheduled.

Reaction Score
As part of the deal to build Rentschler Field, the state of CT put into law that UCONN must play all "home" games at Rentschler Field until a certain year (I think that year is 2017). I think the first choice, obviously, is to try to schedule home and homes. But getting schools to agree to come to the Rent is difficult and we can't change our home venue without the blessing of our state legislature.

Correct - Agreements can be worked out after soothing lawmakers who feel "wronged" - for example during the ND debacle, here is what was crafted; "The agreement reached between UConn and the lawmakers would run from 2011-2017, putting three games at Notre Dame stadium, and three at sites in either Boston, New York or New Jersey. It also requires UConn to play at least six other home games during those seasons at Rentschler Field, as long as the NCAA rules permit a 12-game season and permits a team to use one Football Championship Subdivision win per season as a bowl-eligible win"

Reaction Score
I think you hit the nail on the head. Personally, I think UCONN is getting to a point where it needs to consider scheduling one and done payout games on the road. But I'm not sure there would be majority agreement amongst the UCONN fanbase with this. I think many UCONN fans think that getting schools to come to the Rent is easy and that we shouldn't agree to play anyone without a return trip to Connecticut scheduled.

I thought this even during the PP era. We were never as big as we thought we were (ie demanding 1-and-1's). - I've always felt we should have a bad-azzed "anyone, anywhere, anytime" attitude.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
None of the above. Syracuse or Rutgers, and I'd lean toward Rutgers. That would at least give us some exposure in the talent-rich NJ market for players.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Iron Bowl, Clemson-USCeast, UofL-Kentucky, Houston-SMU, UCF-USF and many more playing this weekend. I put up schools that I thought could be reasonable options because neither BC or Cuse is lining up to play us. Some people are split on whether we should be playing UMASS but I put them in because they would probably be willing to play us every year. Thoughts?

Houston and SMU are not arch rivals. SMU's is TCU, Houston's is Rice.

This game is an attempt by the AAC to make Houston and SMU the traditional Thanksgiving weekend game. They will never be arch rivals no matter how often they may play on Thanksgiving weekend.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
It's amazing how delusional this fan base is. We stick up our noses at the AAC (which we are currently resting comfortably at the bottom of) and say that our rivalry game should be against a team that won't play us, we have no real history of playing in football, and I'm pretty sure we have never beaten in football.

We did tie them twice out of about 10 total games played, but most of those games were during ancient times when they were likely at a different level (major vs. small college). One could argue that makes the ties more like losses for them.

pj

Reaction Score

I've also come to the conclusion that we should seek single-game away agreements for premium dollars from schools like Alabama and use the money to buy single-game home agreements from MAC schools. We get TV exposure, big-time competition, and a likelihood to go 1-1 and stay in the bowl hunt. The only downside is that the ticket holders don't get to see the big-time teams from the seats. That's a defect, but compared to a home and home with a MAC school like Buffalo, UMass, or Western Michigan, it's better in every way.

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
This is perhaps the most frustrating question with UCONN sports today because of our conference reallignment (other than our stadium location obviously).

The game should be against BC, Rutgers, or UMASS. The rivalry needs to be in the region, no questions asked. UMASS is looking like the most likely opponent right now with their refurbished stadium and obvious availability for a new rival.

BC is pushing the Syracuse rivalry and Rutgers with Maryland. We are in a corner and better off having a rival than playing a team from western Tennessee. The horror.

Anyone saying it should be an AAC opponent in a southern state is a complete idiot. We are in a terrible situation right now. I hope Warde sees these posts. Everyone should be emailing him

Reaction Score
As long as we're stuck in the AAC, it should be USF. That has been the longest and most competitive series of any program in our conference.

Anyone thinking that BC, Rutgers, or Saracuse is interested in rivalry games with us is an idiot. Those games aren't likely to even happen. Thinking they'll become annual rivalry games at this point borders on lunacy. They aren't interested for the same reason we shouldn't be touting UMass as a rival, if you think they should be a rival, guess what, you're an idiot.

Reaction Score
1. Boston College

Honestly, the fact that this game can't be scheduled is mind boggling. It would help both schools.

from BC's perspective, they probably believe they get more from not playing Uconn in football, than playing Uconn in football. I do agree with Uconn football fans that state that both school's fanbases must want to see the other in an annual " rival game ". It is not sufficient if the " hate " or the interest is just one sided. Many BC alums see ND as their Catholic School " rival ". But most ND fans of course, don't see BC as their rival at all, nor want it to be so. So its not a " rivalry ". This does not mean that most BC alums fans don't hate ND with the heat of a thousands suns, similarly as do Uconn football fans and Alums do with BC. Its all a pecking order.. where one sits on the totem pole. Umass would love to become Uconn's football rival. But thats unthinkable to many Uconn football fans. And of course, many BC fans, Alums, rightly or wrongly feel the same way about Uconn football. In time, BC and Uconn will put their past grievances, lawsuit aside and will play football again. But the notion that BC and Uconn will become football " rivals " again is as likely that Uconn and BC Basketball will one day become equal Basketball "rivals ". Don't hold your breath, as Uconn Basketball fans are not about to ever consider BC Basketball as their future basketball" rival " game, either... even if the 2 schools play a basketball game or two every so often. Please bear in mind that the BC student body is no more local, as it once was. Most of its students come from outside New England, and leave after 4 years here in the region. They couldn't tell you where Uconn plays its home games. They barely care about BC football as it is. So this notion that BC and Uconn football would be great for Uconn is indisputable. But that BC would get a lot out of it as well ?. I don't see it, frankly. ( although I do support that the both schedule a future game, and am on record here as such )

Last edited:

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
BC, UMass, Rutgers, Cuse... in that order. Who is BC's "rival" now anyway? Cuse or Pitt?

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
As long as we're stuck in the AAC, it should be USF. That has been the longest and most competitive series of any program in our conference.

Anyone thinking that BC, Rutgers, or Saracuse is interested in rivalry games with us is an idiot. Those games aren't likely to even happen. Thinking they'll become annual rivalry games at this point borders on lunacy. They aren't interested for the same reason we shouldn't be touting UMass as a rival, if you think they should be a rival, guess what, you're an idiot.
Should be USF, but they play a rivalry game with UCF. Makes sense.

Reaction Score
In my dreams - Rutgers, two state schools in the B1G playing for the right to dominate each's home state and to win the Big Apple Trophy.

Right now, Temple simply due to geography. Should have some student and athlete overlap, which is key to a rivalry along with ease of getting to each others venue. Memphis is too far away. Navy has Army and now one is changing that. UMass needs to upgrade their program to UConn's level, which is doubtful due to the situation on Beacon Hill, before that would work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom