Who should UCONN be playing on rivalry weekend? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who should UCONN be playing on rivalry weekend?

Who should UCONN be playing rivialry weekend?

• Memphis

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cincinatti

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Temple

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • UMASS

Votes: 22 56.4%
  • NAVY

Votes: 2 5.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A rival opponent should set one's teeth grinding. A loss would ruin an otherwise decent season. A win would crown an otherwise awful season. Their fans are all a bunch of inbred dyckheads. The date is automatically circled, then re-circled on the calendar. There should be bar fights when the fans mingle. There is no one in the AAC like this. There is only one - BC.
Wouldn't BC have to feel the same way? I doubt their fans ever think about UConn football other than to hope we don't get into a P5 conference.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Kentucky or Mich St.... In basketball. For football, it looks like a series with Stony Brook could be competitive.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't BC have to feel the same way? I doubt their fans ever think about UConn football other than to hope we don't get into a P5 conference.

we could bribe their 200 fans with Subway meal deals.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
It's amazing how delusional this fan base is. We stick up our noses at the AAC (which we are currently resting comfortably at the bottom of) and say that our rivalry game should be against a team that won't play us, we have no real history of playing in football, and I'm pretty sure we have never beaten in football.

Reaction Score
It's amazing how delusional this fan base is. We stick up our noses at the AAC (which we are currently resting comfortably at the bottom of) and say that our rivalry game should be against a team that won't play us, we have no real history of playing in football, and I'm pretty sure we have never beaten in football.

Then UMAss it is!

Reaction Score
I don't get the disdain for UMass either. A local school trying to run in FBS, if anyone should be able to understand that, it is UConn fans.

Reaction Score
I don't get the disdain for UMass either. A local school trying to run in FBS, if anyone should be able to understand that, it is UConn fans.

because it's like the basketball team saying that University of Hartford is an arch rival.

Reaction Score
AFL, no spitting match here. Our whipped down trodden fan base may not be strong but I think you should take back the delusional and evaluate the post we are responding to here. Nobody is sticking up noses at the AAC, that has not been mentioned. Who ever made the rule your main rival has to be in conference? Whould it be nice, of course.
A rivalry takes three things to make it just that. First two teams that want the same thing, in our case that is dominance in the southern New England / NY and NJ area. Having teams that could carry that over to other sports keeps it alive year round.
Two, you need the parties to be in a antagonistic state or condition to create # three...Bad blood ...
The folks that responded with BC and Rutgers are the ones that realize BC ran from us a long time ago whether we beat them or not on the gridiron they saw the writing on the wall. Both got something we wanted and feel we deserve which adds to the bad blood potion. There are no teams in the country or any conference right now that would make a better rivalary than BC and as a second choice the R. The proximity also allows for both fan bases to travel well thus adding to the stew.
As for resting comfortably on the bottom those are your words I do not hear anyone else who is comfortable with the situation. Do realize footballs bounce funny, Memphis was in the same position just last season. Should we beat them tomorrow it does not make a rivalary...

Reaction Score
because it's like the basketball team saying that University of Hartford is an arch rival.
What is our all time record in FB vs UMass, what is our record all time against Hartford in BB? Not remotely close to the same thing.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
AFL, no spitting match here. Our whipped down trodden fan base may not be strong but I think you should take back the delusional and evaluate the post we are responding to here. Nobody is sticking up noses at the AAC, that has not been mentioned. Who ever made the rule your main rival has to be in conference? Whould it be nice, of course.
A rivalry takes three things to make it just that. First two teams that want the same thing, in our case that is dominance in the southern New England / NY and NJ area. Having teams that could carry that over to other sports keeps it alive year round.
Two, you need the parties to be in a antagonistic state or condition to create # three...Bad blood ...
The folks that responded with BC and Rutgers are the ones that realize BC ran from us a long time ago whether we beat them or not on the gridiron they saw the writing on the wall. Both got something we wanted and feel we deserve which adds to the bad blood potion. There are no teams in the country or any conference right now that would make a better rivalary than BC and as a second choice the R. The proximity also allows for both fan bases to travel well thus adding to the stew.
As for resting comfortably on the bottom those are your words I do not hear anyone else who is comfortable with the situation. Do realize footballs bounce funny, Memphis was in the same position just last season. Should we beat them tomorrow it does not make a rivalary...

I agree that to have rivalry you need to have something behind it and we don't have that in conference (not even Temple). But to claim that Rutgers or BC should be our rival? At least we have a bit of history in football with Rutgers but given their move to the B1G I don't see us getting them late in season on a regular basis. As for BC, I know a lot of people hate them for a variety of good reasons but that game isn't happening either.

So if you want to be realistic about it, you look to UMass and you don't look down at them (given they would probably beat us this season) but give that a chance to become something more.

And trust me, I didn't mean the fans or team were comfortable being at the bottom. I was saying that it isn't like we're threatening to be even close to the top half of the conference.

DrG

Reaction Score
If my recollection is correct, when the question was put as to whether the AAC should invite UMass or Tulsa, the majority here voted for Tulsa. So I think UConn's rival should be Tulsa.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I don't think anyone is looking down at these teams in the AAC because we think we're better then any of them. I think the reason everyone is saying None of the Above is because it is not a natural rivalry with any of these schools. Rivalries cannot be forced or created artificially. I don't give a about what our record is against BC or that we've never beaten them. I hate them with every ounce of my soul. That feeling is what forms a rivalry. Many here would probably say they feel the same towards them. THAT is what makes a rivalry. Right now, no one feels anything for ANY team in the AAC because we don't have a history with any of those schools, Temple included. Should we be stuck here for oblivion, maybe something develops naturally but that's it.

So for some of you to think folks here are being pompous I think you're reading it wrong. I think it's just that playing these schools mean nothing to us because they seem like all OOC games. We have never played many of these schools more then a random time here or there, or never. We see our regional rivals from the BE days playing in new conferences and we want to be there playing them again. Whether that's playing Syracuse and BC in the ACC or Rutgers in the B1G, that is what we all want.

HISTORY builds rivlaries, not some scheduling person trying to force one on either fan base.

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone is looking down at these teams in the AAC because we think we're better then any of them. I think the reason everyone is saying None of the Above is because it is not a natural rivalry with any of these schools. Rivalries cannot be forced or created artificially. I don't give a about what our record is against BC or that we've never beaten them. I hate them with every ounce of my soul. That feeling is what forms a rivalry. Many here would probably say they feel the same towards them. THAT is what makes a rivalry. Right now, no one feels anything for ANY team in the AAC because we don't have a history with any of those schools, Temple included. Should we be stuck here for oblivion, maybe something develops naturally but that's it.

So for some of you to think folks here are being pompous I think you're reading it wrong. I think it's just that playing these schools mean nothing to us because they seem like all OOC games. We have never played many of these schools more then a random time here or there, or never. We see our regional rivals from the BE days playing in new conferences and we want to be there playing them again. Whether that's playing Syracuse and BC in the ACC or Rutgers in the B1G, that is what we all want.

HISTORY builds rivlaries, not some scheduling person trying to force one on either fan base.

NAILED IT. I don't get jacked hearing any of those schools mentioned. I'm still wrapping my head around them as "conference mates", never mind some forced-fed "rivalry game"

Reaction Score
What is our all time record in FB vs UMass, what is our record all time against Hartford in BB? Not remotely close to the same thing.

Ok Bad example. URI then. Same thing. Wake me up when it's over.

UMASS, good God.

Reaction Score

We all want the same thing, it just isn't our reality, and if you have sat in the Rent for a game this year, the place has no juice, or excitement because as you said we have no attachments to these "conference mates". A game against UMass could stir some local passions. There are only two state schools playing FBS football in New England. I miss the Big East FB competition as much as anyone but that ship has sailed, sadly.

Reaction Score
BC or Rutgers, depending which league invites us first.

BC would be my choice. I think they are trying to create a rivalry between Maryland and Rutgers. If UMASS moves into the American then that would be a natural rivalry as well.

After attending the East Carolina game, perhaps we could get something going with them. The Pirates have the best fan base in the American and hard to believe but aside from Temple and Navy, they are our closest opponent. Ultimately I would prefer an annual game against Navy if that is possible.

Last edited:

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
1. Boston College

2. Rutgers
3. Syracuse

UCONN fans hate Boston College. HATE. Hoops fans got all fired up over a fairly meaningless early season game last year at MSG against them. When BC and UCONN was announced as being in the Puerto Rico field, the same hoops fans got all fired up again. Hockey had to turn away people at the ticket window when BC came to the XL. If football ever got together on a long overdue "Battle of New England" on Thanksgiving weekend, not only would it sell out Gillette, it would be a 50/50 crowd split full with crowd fights in the stands (classic northeast fandom). BC fans like to claim that they are above UCONN and, right now, they are. But given the opportunity to play one another, they would lose their minds if they lost to UCONN and, thus, a natural geographic rivalry would be born.

Honestly, the fact that this game can't be scheduled is mind boggling. It would help both schools.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Can we play ourselves? This way we can't lose again.

Reaction Score
Would prefer one of BC, Cuse or Rutgers by tangling possible men and women's annual hoops game as a tie-in to football series but ACC is trying to create BC-Cuse rivalry as is Big Ten with Rutgers- Maryland. Navy is out at they have Army and last thing want to see after watching Army game is closing season with option team. UMASS only works for them as only raises their profile and lowers ours. Temple is best choice as closest league opponent to us, will generate interest from Philly on north along East Coast including raising recruiting profile in Southeast PA & South Jersey where there is lot of talent.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
1. Boston College

2. Rutgers
3. Syracuse

UCONN fans hate Boston College. HATE. Hoops fans got all fired up over a fairly meaningless early season game last year at MSG against them. When BC and UCONN was announced as being in the Puerto Rico field, the same hoops fans got all fired up again. Hockey had to turn away people at the ticket window when BC came to the XL. If football ever got together on a long overdue "Battle of New England" on Thanksgiving weekend, not only would it sell out Gillette, it would be a 50/50 crowd split full with crowd fights in the stands (classic northeast fandom). BC fans like to claim that they are above UCONN and, right now, they are. But given the opportunity to play one another, they would lose their minds if they lost to UCONN and, thus, a natural geographic rivalry would be born.

Honestly, the fact that this game can't be scheduled is mind boggling. It would help both schools.
Its not a Battle for New England when the two best teams don't play each other.

Reaction Score
This game only helps Uconn. BC gets a schedule that includes annual games against FSU, Pitt, Cuse, VTech and Clemson. They also get Wake every year. They get ND 3 out of the next 5 years. They just finished home and home with USC. And a game against Uconn would help them? It helps them just as much as a game against UMass does. A non-P5 OOC game filled only with down side risk.

Uconn could not sell out Yankee Stadium against Army. Uconn can not sell out the Rent but would magically have 50% of Gillette? I get the Uconn hate of BC. But is it equal on the BC side? It takes 2 sides to build a rivalry. Right now, it is BC-Cuse for BC with a long history on both sides with each costing the other shots at significant bowl games in the past.

Reaction Score

To be fair, Boston College is relatively mediocre in terms of present perception, so who are they to be "equal" to anyway?

But at least they're capable of knocking off good teams from time to time. UConn can, too... problem is, showing up is half the battle.

Reaction Score
Rutty, BC, or Sara there are no other answers.

Based on our conference, I would choose USF but they already have a date for the prom. That leaves Cincy...but they own us so...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom