Who are our starting five next year? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Who are our starting five next year?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I tend to agree that Crystal Dangerfield is the first player off the bench. I do think that people are overlooking the huge step up that occurs between freshman and sophomore years. I fully expect Crystal to make this jump. That said, it's probably too much to expect her to develop sufficient skills to bump anyone from the starting five. It's not that she's not talented, she clearly is, it's just that Kia brings more to the table and it is tough to make an argument against Gabby being on the floor.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Your not getting it. Kia is terrific. I'm not worried about her. I'm worried about a line up without danger when ball handling is at a premium. Maybe I'm not making my point clear enough.

We're talking about the starting 5 . I can't see Dangerous starting next year. I do see her starting when Kia leaves. I believe Crystal will be the starting pg her last 2 years.
I also believe that Geno will insert Crystal at any point in a game where/when he thinks her presence in the game is critical to UConn winning the game. Just because she does not start does not mean she can't/won't finish.

I could be wrong. None of us know at THIS point in time, what the starting line up is going to be that first game this summer, or in November. Geno probably knows, but he's not saying at this point. Unless we attend every practice, and sit in on the coach's meetings, we don't see what they see, or know what they know. All any of us can do is guess.
Today, I see Dangerous coming off the bench getting a lot of playing time all season. Whether she starts or not is not important. What she does when she's on the floor is!!.
It's always fun to guess and predict who Geno is going to send out on to the court that first exhibition game this summer. Until he does, we won't know.

Two things we do know at this point
:
1. ALL of the returning starters will remain starters until and unless they are moved out by a bench player.
2. None of the incoming freshmen are going to start during the summer games. I see Stevens starting. I don't see anyone else on the team beating her out. From the reports we've been getting, Stevens was killing them in practice. I heard on more than one occasion (from an announcer) during a game that the best player on UConn's team was on the bench, dressed in street clothes. I'm going with that.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I think she will push Gabby for jumping opening tap. There is a lot air below her feet. Did anyone mention, she has a 7 inch head start (pun intended)? And don't give me no gas about camera angles! ;)
View attachment 21459

I must admit, THAT picture of Z is very impressive. If girlie has some "serious" hops, all the better. I hope she does. She can give Gabby and Napheesa some help on the boards...........................on both ends of the court!! We know Gabby and Napheesa are "board hounds". If Z wants to make it a three-some, I'm sure Gabby and pheesa would welcome her presence. You'll get no gas here sir. This picture depicts one of the many reasons why I think Z will start!!! You just don't keep athleticism like this on the bench. I also don't believe Geno brought her in to come off the bench. :cool:

Reaction Score
I think gabby is an amazing player and can certainly handle the ball. I do notice that she is usually guarded by a 3 or 4 or even a 5. If she can bring the ball up against a pressuring 2 then I'm happy. But can she?

You don't necessarily use your guards often vs pressure you use size too. Unless someone can prove different, from what I remember this year and even last year Geno liked to use Lou in the backcourt when teams did a zone pressure trap because she could easily see over the guards ta the fron of the trap. And I know it wasn't you - but sort of disputes anyone saying she's not much of a ball-handler. I know it's not you. You are referring to"pg ball-handling."

Anyhow with a lineup of Stevens 6-6, Collier 6'1, Gabby 5'11, Lou 6'3 and Nurse 6'0 -- if you trap UCONN in a zone Lou will be in the backcourt just as she has always been the past two years. SO what is the point fo having a 2nd ball-handler fi we have used Lou so often when teams zone press us? It hasn't affected us back then so no point saying that type of defense will affect UCONN next year.

Now if you go into a man-press - what are you saying if you are the opposing coach? You're going to use a small guard ot press Gabby? Okay -- well then how is the small guard going to defend Gabby in the man-to-man set then if UCONN "at least" brings the ball over half-court? DO you remember Lawrence Taylor? You put a running back in or tight end to block him he overpowers you. You use an offensive tackle he'll use his quickness. I don't believe a guard can defend Gabby inside. Therefore the smaller of the two players that are pressing will defend Lou and Kia - and not Gabby. If you put a bigger player on her- then press won't affect UCONN

You cold try to man press and then go into a zone? The problem is when you go into a zone quickly you'll have trouble finding zone shooters. If Gabby is bringing up the ball, unlike the past two years under full-court pressure she wasn't, in this case the other 4 players are very good three point shooters (Stevens is supposedly).

It could work-- but now that we have the size and imo our defense will be better because there is no way Danger is near Stevens on defense imo - our defense and rebounding will be better therefore less opportunities for opposing team to bother us with a full court press.

Because our defense and rebounding will be so tough how much can an opposing teams full court pressure bother us when they won't have as many chances to press because they can't score as much?
Therefore how much pressure is Gabby really having over the course of a game because at some point at least Danger and if not Walker (or Coombs etc) will play minutes and also be quick ball-handlers that will have at least some minutes?

All-in-all imo you may find one or two teams. If they do that - and it's a problem then you put in Danger. Not many teams have the ability to bother UCONN on a press next year in which they also have to score.

On the flip-side playing small could force Collier and Gabby into 2 quick fouls. Defense is also a consideration.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
By year end at crunch time in games, Williams, Collier, Nurse, Stevens and Walker. Gabby is a workaholic and will improve her shooting range. (Note the open 18-fters she passed up in the MSU game.) Collier was great but could use more confidence in the Madness. Kiah needs to be the leader. Stevens has been champing at the bit. Walker, if she can learn the rotations and be an effective passer.
KLS has trouble rebounding, guarding, blocking, creating and stealing. I shuddered every time she brought the ball up. She still has time to develop her game. Hope she does. 1st team All American? Not. Bball is more than 3 pt shots.

CD is a year away. Coombs? The Kentucky kid?
All in all, a great season. The 7 filled in the puzzle pieces as best they could, especially GW, NC and KLS. The key guys were young. Geno did a hell of a job.
Though we lost to MSU, it was the most dramatic game of the year.
I would challenge MSU and SC to still beat UCONN if they played the Final Four again right now.

I shudder everytime I hear this over-exaggeration negativity. There is no way no way no way if there are multiple crunch games that you can make a blanket statement of Walker over Lou.

Tell me - did you ever watch Steve Kerr or John Paxson play? Why do you think they played in so many end games? How was there "rebounding, blacking, guarding, creating and stealing?"

Lou can pass the ball and shoot -- her defense was good enough for UCONN to only lose one game all year. Lou is 6'3. Therefore all she needs is a pick to get off her own shot.

There are three fundamentals in basketball- -- shoot, pass, rebound. Lou has 2 of the 3. Nowhere is there "create your own shot." You do need some of that but this UCONN does not NEED that. Therefore Geno is as likely to stay away from the fundamentals as a wcbb DIV 3 school is as likely to beat UCONN.

I remember years ago arguing with htose that used to say Angel was greater than Maya because she can create her own shot more easily. The "creation of your own shot" does NOT make one player better than another. And when you are 6'3 like Lou is- you can easily get off shots with a simple offensive option invented many moons ago called "a pick." That is why Maya over the course of her college career was always more superior than Angel. Inevitably Angel's shot was suspect and game-over-game she was forced to force the ball in traffic despite her superiority of the creation of her own shot.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
By year end at crunch time in games, Williams, Collier, Nurse, Stevens and Walker. Gabby is a workaholic and will improve her shooting range. (Note the open 18-fters she passed up in the MSU game.) Collier was great but could use more confidence in the Madness. Kiah needs to be the leader. Stevens has been champing at the bit. Walker, if she can learn the rotations and be an effective passer.
KLS has trouble rebounding, guarding, blocking, creating and stealing. I shuddered every time she brought the ball up. She still has time to develop her game. Hope she does. 1st team All American? Not. Bball is more than 3 pt shots.
All in all, a great season. The 7 filled in the puzzle pieces as best they could, especially GW, NC and KLS. The key guys were young. Geno did a hell of a job.
I would challenge MSU and SC to still beat UCONN if they played the Final Four again right now.

Lou, quite obviously, came from the womb launching 3-pointers (she is a Samuelson, after all), and has coasted to her accolades. It doesn't take much to have one of the most successful sophomore campaigns in UConn history, and her selection to every single AA team this season was a fluke and gross misjudgment.

Lou just can't rebound (3rd among starters, 4th on the team overall, and highest among perimeter players).
Lou just can't block shots (4th on the team and again highest among perimeter players) - or get steals (3rd on the team and, again, highest among perimeter players).
Lou just can't create her own shot (plz ignore second-half of Maryland game - pull-up jumper And-1, as well as drive into the lane lefty finish. Also, 131 FTAs - total fluke).

I mean, Gabby will definitely work on that mid-range jumper this summer, but Lou... hope she will at least take a break from the beach at some point.

Gimme a break... there's a full season box score, and the data speaks for itself.

Reaction Score
Excellent analysis! The LT analogy was especially brilliant.
You said exactly what I think will happen next season. Starting 5 - Kia, Gabby, Lou, Pheesa & Azura! I have thought all along that Gabby is, using the normal basketball nomenclature, a 1/2 who has shown over the course of the last 2 years that she will be an effective 3 at the next level. During the just ended season she played the 4 or 5 (and succeeded to some extent due to her superior athleticism) out of necessity for the team but seemed to get worn out towards the end. She definitely has to work on her consistency to succeed at the 1/2. I agree with you and other posters that the 5th starter next season will be Azura. Her size (which we sorely lacked this past season) will allow the perimeter players to exert pressure (just as Moriah and Kia did with Stewie and Tuck behind them) and not worry too much about being beaten off the dribble and rebounding. It will especially allow Gabby to be more disruptive defensively without worrying too much about boxing out the other team's Bigs and protecting the paint.

Reaction Score
Lou, quite obviously, came from the womb launching 3-pointers (she is a Samuelson, after all), and has coasted to her accolades. It doesn't take much to have one of the most successful sophomore campaigns in UConn history, and her selection to every single AA team this season was a fluke and gross misjudgment.

Lou just can't rebound (3rd among starters, 4th on the team overall, and highest among perimeter players).
Lou just can't block shots (4th on the team and again highest among perimeter players) - or get steals (3rd on the team and, again, highest among perimeter players).
Lou just can't create her own shot (plz ignore second-half of Maryland game - pull-up jumper And-1, as well as drive into the lane lefty finish. Also, 131 FTAs - total fluke).

I mean, Gabby will definitely work on that mid-range jumper this summer, but Lou... hope she will at least take a break from the beach at some point.

Gimme a break... there's a full season box score, and the data speaks for itself.
I 100% agree! Data speaks, in spite of our "post-truth" current state! Like you I can not fathom this being said about this young lady. This kid (no disrespect intended...) has worked hard and done everything (to the best of her ability and beyond!) that has been asked of her. Rebounding, getting steals, blocking shots, and taking charge after charge, to help this team succeed. The entire team far exceeded expectations this past season. She earns AA status as a result, not too shabby! Does she need to improve, hell yes! They all need to improve for next season. Gabby (consistent mid-range, cut down on turnovers, etc.), Pheesa (defense w/o fouling, confidence and assertiveness, etc.), Kia (mid-range, dribble pull ups, better decisions on dribble drives, etc.) and off course Lou (continue to work on rebounding, improve shot blocking, and consistency of your shots - 2/3 fg.).

Reaction Score
You don't necessarily use your guards often vs pressure you use size too. Unless someone can prove different, from what I remember this year and even last year Geno liked to use Lou in the backcourt when teams did a zone pressure trap because she could easily see over the guards ta the fron of the trap. And I know it wasn't you - but sort of disputes anyone saying she's not much of a ball-handler. I know it's not you. You are referring to"pg ball-handling."

Anyhow with a lineup of Stevens 6-6, Collier 6'1, Gabby 5'11, Lou 6'3 and Nurse 6'0 -- if you trap UCONN in a zone Lou will be in the backcourt just as she has always been the past two years. SO what is the point fo having a 2nd ball-handler fi we have used Lou so often when teams zone press us? It hasn't affected us back then so no point saying that type of defense will affect UCONN next year.

Now if you go into a man-press - what are you saying if you are the opposing coach? You're going to use a small guard ot press Gabby? Okay -- well then how is the small guard going to defend Gabby in the man-to-man set then if UCONN "at least" brings the ball over half-court? DO you remember Lawrence Taylor? You put a running back in or tight end to block him he overpowers you. You use an offensive tackle he'll use his quickness. I don't believe a guard can defend Gabby inside. Therefore the smaller of the two players that are pressing will defend Lou and Kia - and not Gabby. If you put a bigger player on her- then press won't affect UCONN

You cold try to man press and then go into a zone? The problem is when you go into a zone quickly you'll have trouble finding zone shooters. If Gabby is bringing up the ball, unlike the past two years under full-court pressure she wasn't, in this case the other 4 players are very good three point shooters (Stevens is supposedly).

It could work-- but now that we have the size and imo our defense will be better because there is no way Danger is near Stevens on defense imo - our defense and rebounding will be better therefore less opportunities for opposing team to bother us with a full court press.

Because our defense and rebounding will be so tough how much can an opposing teams full court pressure bother us when they won't have as many chances to press because they can't score as much?
Therefore how much pressure is Gabby really having over the course of a game because at some point at least Danger and if not Walker (or Coombs etc) will play minutes and also be quick ball-handlers that will have at least some minutes?

All-in-all imo you may find one or two teams. If they do that - and it's a problem then you put in Danger. Not many teams have the ability to bother UCONN on a press next year in which they also have to score.

On the flip-side playing small could force Collier and Gabby into 2 quick fouls. Defense is also a consideration.
Excellent analysis! The LT analogy is especially brilliant!
Starting 5 - Kia, Gabby, Lou, Pheesa & Azura! I have thought all along that Gabby is, using the normal basketball nomenclature, a 1/2 who has shown over the course of the last 2 years that she will be an effective 3 at the next level. During the just ended season she played the 4 or 5 (and succeeded to some extent due to her superior athleticism) out of necessity for the team but seemed to get worn out towards the end. She definitely has to work on her consistency to succeed at the 1/2. At the next level she will probably thrive at the 3 (sf) so she needs to work on that consistency in her mid-range shots. She needs to also work on shooting off the dribble, that is dribble pull-ups. Currently she is a spot up or a rim shooter. At the next level she will have to be able to take a dribble or two and then pull up consistently. I agree with you and other posters that the 5th starter next season will be Azura. Her size (which we sorely lacked this past season) will allow the perimeter players to exert pressure (just as Moriah and Kia did with Stewie and Tuck behind them) and not worry too much about being beaten off the dribble and rebounding. It will especially allow Gabby to be more disruptive defensively without worrying too much about boxing out the other team's Bigs and protecting the paint.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Most seem to think Azura starts and Crystal comes off the bench. That's a possibility. Geno has seen Azura practice now for a year. But I still like Crystal starting as the 1. For most of the games I paid attention to, either Crystal or Saniya were on the court at almost all times. To me that meant that Geno preferred one of them as the 1 over Kia (or Lou or Gabby).

The real question is at what point does Geno start subbing? Clearly he has a dearth of talent and I suspect somewhere at the 5 min mark he will start rotating. the problem with that is cohesion and flow. I just don't know how he will acclimate fully 10 kids who could easily be good enough for serious PT on any other team.

Danger, Kia, Lou, Gabby, Napheesa is my guess for starters.

In general, reserves off the bench in this order: Azura, Batouly, Megan, Natalie, Mikayla, Andi, Lexi, Kyla and Molly in that order. I suspect the last 4 will generally see time in the last 4 minutes of games. I see the upside for Andi and Lexi as much higher than Kyla or Molly. But their being ahead of the sophomores on the depth chart will be determined by how hard they work and how fast they pick things up. Andi is an extraordinary scorer, but so was Saniya in high school. NO idea how she translates to college (Andi). Lexi is a hard worker, but I don't see that she has as much potential as the rest of the players ahead of her.

Again just my opinion. No idea how the kids improve during the season. I hope all of them get really good really fast...
You convinced me that Crystal will start, even though that's the unpopular view here. ;)

I think the order off the bench will depend on need. I largely agree with your ranking based on overall talent and experience, though I might swap Megan and Batouly and Lexi and Andi.

In terms of need, if Pheesa gets in foul trouble, Z comes in (assuming she's not a starter). If Lou gets in foul trouble, Meg may be the first sub. If Crystal doesn't start, she'll be the first sub if Kia gets in foul trouble. If there is guard foul trouble, Mikayla comes in before Nat. Assuming no foul trouble, Z/Crystal followed by Meg or Batouly. If Geno wants to press, look for Mikayla in the game.

Reaction Score
I think we all have to pray danger can be trusted to be our point. We need a balanced line up

Danger( if she makes a big progression)
Kia
Lou
Gabby
Collier

If danger does not progress:

Kia
Gabby
Lou
Collier
Stevens.

I would bank on gabby and Lou being able to help with ball handling duties.

Here is the issue by not starting Stevens. I would say that most UConn fans acknowledge the two weaknesses of the team was #1 depth and #2 size. #1 is taken care of but #2 is only filled by Stevens. Also, Stevens is already a proven player with many thinking AA potential for next year. Dangerfield still needs maturation. Also, Stevens allows Gabby to defend at a position that is more suitable to her and not wear her down. Contrary to popular believe she did not shutdown top bigs. She does a good job jumping passes but it was a team (doubling) effort to mostly limit TOP bigs to their season averages.

So when we play ND's Tuner or SC's A'ja we should have Stevens sitting? We also get better rebounding, blocks and she is more versatile offensively than Dangerfield overall. She can play down low, elbow or hit from 3. But who knows.........

Reaction Score
You convinced me that Crystal will start, even though that's the unpopular view here. ;)

I think the order off the bench will depend on need. I largely agree with your ranking based on overall talent and experience, though I might swap Megan and Batouly and Lexi and Andi.

In terms of need, if Pheesa gets in foul trouble, Z comes in (assuming she's not a starter). If Lou gets in foul trouble, Meg may be the first sub. If Crystal doesn't start, she'll be the first sub if Kia gets in foul trouble. If there is guard foul trouble, Mikayla comes in before Nat. Assuming no foul trouble, Z/Crystal followed by Meg or Batouly. If Geno wants to press, look for Mikayla in the game.

I still don't understand. Why put Gabby and Collier at risk defending big centers? Why put them into foul trouble risk when you don't have to? It's not their natural position. Ball-handling should not be the number 1 priority when you already have every starter that can handle the ball.

Reaction Score
Just hypothetically, suppose that we have sophomore Moriah Jefferson on the team next year. Does she come off the bench, because we start the 4 returning starters plus a tall and talented transfer?

So your comparing Moriah's senior year as the best point guard in the nation on both sides of the ball to Crystal Dangerfield now? So would you start Dangerfield over Stewie if she was transferring in in order to have a "ball handler" on the nation's #1 assist team?

Reaction Score

You need to check your stats about Lou, you are way off. She played on the wing and had more steals and rebounding than the other two perimeter players on the team... And she does a lot more on offense than shoot 3s. Being one of the few players in UConn history to avg 20pts means nothing? Her and Gabby were the only two that seemed to want it in Q4 of the MS loss. Go check, she is the player that Geno wants on the floor almost all the time, so I think your assessment of her is not shared by Geno....

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
So your comparing Moriah's senior year as the best point guard in the nation on both sides of the ball to Crystal Dangerfield now? So would you start Dangerfield over Stewie if she was transferring in in order to have a "ball handler" on the nation's #1 assist team?
No--I said Moriah's SOPHOMORE season. Most people think that Crystal is now slightly ahead of where Mo was at the end of her freshman year. If Crystal is given the opportunity, her sophomore season could be comparable to Moriah's.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I still don't understand. Why put Gabby and Collier at risk defending big centers? Why put them into foul trouble risk when you don't have to? It's not their natural position. Ball-handling should not be the number 1 priority when you already have every starter that can handle the ball.
First, I think that Azura and Crystal will play approximately the same number of minutes as each other, regardless of who starts. So, whether Z starts or Crystal starts does not make a huge difference.

Second, though undersized, Gabby and Pheesa did a great job this year and created mismatches with their quickness. If they do get in foul trouble, we have Z and Batouly, as well as Nat, to back them up.

Third, while the other 4 starters can handle the ball well for their positions, no one handles the ball as well as Crystal. She also sees the floor better than anyone, except possibly Gabby.

Fourth, the easiest transition for the team is for players to keep their positions--at which they excelled in a 36-1 season--and replace the missing starter. Thus, plug in Crystal for Saniya.

Fifth, though Z had 2 good years at Duke and apparently has played very well in practice, Crystal has more experience in actual games in Geno's system.

Sixth, when Diana, Maya, Kaleena, and Stewie were freshmen, they were probably the best players on the team, but none of them started, at least until the starters were injured. They basically played starters minutes, but were not starters. Though Z should be very good, I doubt she's better than those four.

I think we start games with a small, quick lineup, then mix in several bench players. As noted, Z will get starter's minutes.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Yes but too lite on the ball handling.
If Kia nurse ever gets hurt we are in huge trouble
Dangerfield came up big in many big games when we needed her. I think she ended way ahead of Moriah's freshman yr. she's got it. She'll be the first on off the bench resting almost everyone of the starting 5. Batouly will be next resting the bigs- we'll have a million options next year.

Reaction Score
I think Crystal was amazing at times, but inconsistent. She had some bad turnovers also, but she was only a rookie. If she makes that freshman to sophomore jump it would hard to keep her on the bench. One problem with Crystal starting is that we are smaller than even this year. I just can't see how Z isn't starting or off the bench very early in a game.

Reaction Score
I love the possible roster look for next year plus the freshmen coming in. Can't wait!! Hurry up, October 2017!! Jeez.

Reaction Score
First, I think that Azura and Crystal will play approximately the same number of minutes as each other, regardless of who starts. So, whether Z starts or Crystal starts does not make a huge difference.

Second, though undersized, Gabby and Pheesa did a great job this year and created mismatches with their quickness. If they do get in foul trouble, we have Z and Batouly, as well as Nat, to back them up.

Third, while the other 4 starters can handle the ball well for their positions, no one handles the ball as well as Crystal. She also sees the floor better than anyone, except possibly Gabby.

Fourth, the easiest transition for the team is for players to keep their positions--at which they excelled in a 36-1 season--and replace the missing starter. Thus, plug in Crystal for Saniya.

Fifth, though Z had 2 good years at Duke and apparently has played very well in practice, Crystal has more experience in actual games in Geno's system.

Sixth, when Diana, Maya, Kaleena, and Stewie were freshmen, they were probably the best players on the team, but none of them started, at least until the starters were injured. They basically played starters minutes, but were not starters. Though Z should be very good, I doubt she's better than those four.

I think we start games with a small, quick lineup, then mix in several bench players. As noted, Z will get starter's minutes.

Okay -- though there is nothing I agree with you on. We can agree to disagree.

1--- Geno has said after two years he expects AZ to go 1st in the draft. She already was an honorable a/a. No way I see them playing the same minutes unless an injury happens. Too much of a ceiling for AZ.

2-- While you say "though undersized"- I say "yes it was a weakness that they were undersized." Part fo the weakness was that they were getting into foul trouble because they were so small because they were playing out of position. Why go into a game acknowledging you are playing players out of position in which you've seen for yourself that they often have gotten into foul trouble? SO now you think ti best to take Gabby out of the game for a half because she picked up two tick-tack quick fouls all because you want more ball-handling?

3-- Regarding your point on Danger being "the best ball-handler"-- so what? If being "the best" at one aspect is such a big deal - then no one can defend the perimeter better than Gabby, correct? Or Collier-- forced to paly centers. SO you can keep Gabby or Collier out of foul trouble more often because at 5'11 and 6'1 they aren't playing out of position and getting into quick foul trouble. So you are getting better defense when you slide each player away from the center spot and to their natural position. How does ball-handling in which we already have good ball-handlers trump that?

4-- The team didn't win a championship at 36-1. Weaknesses of getting beat by rebounding was exposed. Geno had said all year he was surprised how well the team did for a reason- imo the major weaknesses were rebounding and size which caused foul issues with Collier and Gabby.

5-- In-game experience from this past year will have little impact of AZ vs Danger for the end of next season. AZ will have enough in-game experience by that time. My point has never been the 1st two eeks etc. Danger won't start by the end vs the other 5 mentioned imo.

6-- You can't use DT, Stew and Maya. They were incoming high school vas already established players like AZ is now. Anyhow each player by the end started though injuries played a factor.

I just think if you have players equal in performance or in this case AZ is superior vsCD-- and the superior player fills a weakness like AZ can-- you don't go give the starter position to a lesser player by the end of end of the season just because she is better at ball-handling. The team is already pretty good at ball-handling without her. And her size on defense is an issue. There are no issues other than early season UCONN style from AZ.

Reaction Score

1--- Geno has said after two years he expects AZ to go 1st in the draft. She already was an honorable a/a. No way I see them playing the same minutes unless an injury happens. Too much of a ceiling for AZ.

2-- While you say "though undersized"- I say "yes it was a weakness that they were undersized." Part fo the weakness was that they were getting into foul trouble because they were so small because they were playing out of position. Why go into a game acknowledging you are playing players out of position in which you've seen for yourself that they often have gotten into foul trouble? SO now you think ti best to take Gabby out of the game for a half because she picked up two tick-tack quick fouls all because you want more ball-handling?

3-- Regarding your point on Danger being "the best ball-handler"-- so what? If being "the best" at one aspect is such a big deal - then no one can defend the perimeter better than Gabby, correct? Or Collier-- forced to paly centers. SO you can keep Gabby or Collier out of foul trouble more often because at 5'11 and 6'1 they aren't playing out of position and getting into quick foul trouble. So you are getting better defense when you slide each player away from the center spot and to their natural position. How does ball-handling in which we already have good ball-handlers trump that?

4-- The team didn't win a championship at 36-1. Weaknesses of getting beat by rebounding was exposed. Geno had said all year he was surprised how well the team did for a reason- imo the major weaknesses were rebounding and size which caused foul issues with Collier and Gabby.

5-- In-game experience from this past year will have little impact of AZ vs Danger for the end of next season. AZ will have enough in-game experience by that time. My point has never been the 1st two eeks etc. Danger won't start by the end vs the other 5 mentioned imo.

6-- You can't use DT, Stew and Maya. They were incoming high school vas already established players like AZ is now. Anyhow each player by the end started though injuries played a factor.

I just think if you have players equal in performance or in this case AZ is superior vsCD-- and the superior player fills a weakness like AZ can-- you don't go give the starter position to a lesser player by the end of end of the season just because she is better at ball-handling. The team is already pretty good at ball-handling without her. And her size on defense is an issue. There are no issues other than early season UCONN style from AZ.
I think you both have some valid points. I would think Z will start with Crystal coming off the bench to add energy, create havoc, etc. With Z as the last line of defense at the rim, the defense can be extended similarly to when Stewie was back defending the rim. That should make the D even better. Can you imagine Gabby out on the perimeter harassing everyone! Maybe Crystal Dangerfield starts her junior year?

Reaction Score
What may be more intriguing is what will be the starting lineup the following year? With Gabby and Kia gone there will be two holes to fill with Lou and Pheese as seniors. Would it be Lou, Pheese, Z, Crystal Dangerfield and Megatron? Only one true guard with that lineup, but super talented.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

I'm not certain I'm right, and I think having Z start is not a bad idea. I just think having a true PG--especially someone with the skills of Crystal--start is a better idea. Yes. we'll agree to disagree and wait 7 months to see.

1. Yes, but Geno is saying that she'd go #1 in the draft AFTER 2 years of playing at UConn. He's not saying that she would have been #1 in 2017. I agree that Z is already a very good player.

2. Being undersized wasn't the reason for committing fouls. They committed many of their fouls on offense and on defense against dribble penetration. Gabby and Pheesa will still be inside players.

3. We have good ball handlers, but not good enough against the quick players of Temple or Morgan William. Saniya broke the press against UCLA. Kia was the point guard for Canada, but she's not Sue Bird or Moriah Jefferson. Crystal has the potential to be the best PG in college. Geno said late in the season that he sees a future for her with USA Basketball, meaning the Olympics.

4. Yes, we had weaknesses, but youth, maturity, and lack of depth were bigger problems than lack of height. Part of the reason we lost to Mississippi State was because we gave up too many offensive boards, but other reasons included giving up too many turnovers and missing shots we normally make. If Z plays starter's minutes coming off the bench, it doesn't make much difference in our rebounding.

5. Azura has played more college ball than Crystal, but she sat out a year. Crystal has in-game experience with UConn. If you are suggesting that Z may not be the starter in November, but may be in March, that is possible, especially if Geno feels he needs to make a change.

6. Z has proven to be a good college player (19 and 9.6 rebounds and HM All-American). While people expect her to be a very good player, I haven't seen anyone put her at the Diana/Maya/Stewie level. Maya finished 2nd in the AP POY voting as a freshman. Before the injuries, Geno said he liked to bring her in off the bench, because the opposition didn't have anyone on the bench to counter her.

I think the argument for stating Z is more than plausible; I also think the argument for starting Crystal is a little stronger.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
What may be more intriguing is what will be the starting lineup the following year? With Gabby and Kia gone there will be two holes to fill with Lou and Pheese as seniors. Would it be Lou, Pheese, Z, Crystal Dangerfield and Megatron? Only one true guard with that lineup, but super talented.
I think that is exactly the starting lineup. Meg will be the shooting guard. Look at her ball handling. It's better than Kia's already. Hopefully, CWill will be the first or second guard off the bench.

If Crystal Dangerfield starts next year, then Z steps into Gabby's starting spot the following year. Meg steps into Kia's starting SG spot.

Reaction Score

Thank You!!!! Your stats and detail are excellent...and the season box score makes the case for Lou! I told myself I was not going to comment on this thread because it doesn't matter what we say or think about next year's starting 5 ...because Geno and Staff will make the decisions based on tons of things that we will never see...and as the saying goes, "In Geno We Trust!" Like you, I am amazed that Rudy2014 seems to think Lou's selection to EVERY AA Team is a "fluke"... I always understood there were "teams of experts" who make these selections...can every one of those selection committees be wrong??? How many times did Geno remark how great it was to know he starts every game with 40 points, 20 from Lou, 20 from Phessa..??? How many times did we hear WBB Broadcasters/Analysts (many of whom were NCAA WBB AAs or Hall of Famers themselves), on ESPN, ESPN2, SNY, etc predict that UCONN would have the 3 AAs that were in fact selected. I tend to trust the judgement of these "experts"... to select those who actually deserve to be selected.
As for next year's Starting 5... I don't know, but I can't imagine Lou, Gabby or Phessa (3 AAs) and Kia (as a Senior and 3 year starter)...not having the "first shot" at 4 or the 5 spots. Geno and Staff will figure out what the best combination and chemistry will be. I am looking forward to seeing the TEAM...All of them... next year!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom