Who are our starting five next year? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Who are our starting five next year?

Reaction Score
I'm not certain I'm right, and I think having Z start is not a bad idea. I just think having a true PG--especially someone with the skills of Crystal--start is a better idea. Yes. we'll agree to disagree and wait 7 months to see.

1. Yes, but Geno is saying that she'd go #1 in the draft AFTER 2 years of playing at UConn. He's not saying that she would have been #1 in 2017. I agree that Z is already a very good player.

2. Being undersized wasn't the reason for committing fouls. They committed many of their fouls on offense and on defense against dribble penetration. Gabby and Pheesa will still be inside players.

3. We have good ball handlers, but not good enough against the quick players of Temple or Morgan William. Saniya broke the press against UCLA. Kia was the point guard for Canada, but she's not Sue Bird or Moriah Jefferson. Crystal has the potential to be the best PG in college. Geno said late in the season that he sees a future for her with USA Basketball, meaning the Olympics.

4. Yes, we had weaknesses, but youth, maturity, and lack of depth were bigger problems than lack of height. Part of the reason we lost to Mississippi State was because we gave up too many offensive boards, but other reasons included giving up too many turnovers and missing shots we normally make. If Z plays starter's minutes coming off the bench, it doesn't make much difference in our rebounding.

5. Azura has played more college ball than Crystal, but she sat out a year. Crystal has in-game experience with UConn. If you are suggesting that Z may not be the starter in November, but may be in March, that is possible, especially if Geno feels he needs to make a change.

6. Z has proven to be a good college player (19 and 9.6 rebounds and HM All-American). While people expect her to be a very good player, I haven't seen anyone put her at the Diana/Maya/Stewie level. Maya finished 2nd in the AP POY voting as a freshman. Before the injuries, Geno said he liked to bring her in off the bench, because the opposition didn't have anyone on the bench to counter her.

I think the argument for stating Z is more than plausible; I also think the argument for starting Crystal is a little stronger.

Great post.

It's either CD and ball handling or AS and size and skill.

Good problem to have. You know what I think so I'll save u that

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'm with those that say "take it to the bank"

Nurse, Lou, Gabby, Collier and Stevens.

Expect next year Geno to be a tyrant. He'll bench players left and right because next year he can. He "joked around" that on one play or a few Collier let her player score that we saw on tv during the tourney. Next year he won't take that as much. He's going to be in a foul mood at times for reasons that he is such a demanding great coach.

Also, Geno doesn't go overboard with positions. They can all the handle the ball and pass the ball well. If they couldn't bring the ball up the court and make simple passes after the team was so small all year- then they wouldn't be playing. Ball-handling is a basketball fundamental which this past year's great team was bale to do well. There's a reason why we had so many assists. Because they all can pass and dribble.

Danger will not beat out Stevens unless Stevens is highly overrated. IMO there is no way Geno rewards a team this deep at so many positions to a player that isn't as good as the other by starting her unless she's a senior ("been through the wars."). Next year's team does not NEED anything. They just NEED to perform to their talent. "Positions" is "irrelevant." So there is absolutely no NEED to reward a lesser player the position of "starter."

And imo no shot for Gabby to be the pg. She's an absolute beast on offense at the 4 spot / high post and offensive rebounding. But as the pf/4 on offense she will not be reigned in by position. The beauty of the offense is that she can play like a wing or a post and from the 4 she can play like a pg. Why change her excellence? But to stick her out 25 feet from the basket when the opposing team is playing a zone-- it's a complete waste for one of the game's best players.

There may be different starting lineups during the year based on effort injury practice etc. So beginning of the year may be different than end. There will be little fear UCONN will lose to "Tulane" next year so Geno will keep things interesting by reminding the players of Miss State just like how we hear he reminds Lou every day of what her sister does and just how he got on Napheesa for a few defensive shortcomings despite her having a beats offensive game.

I think Geno is sick of being nice. Those kids are gonna be "in for it" next year!! :) And they'll end up loving it!!!!!!!

Are you saying Geno is going to take the "No more Mr. nice guy" approach to coaching? :eek:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The summer games will give Geno and staff an opportunity to get an early look at next season's squad, see what combinations work best, and begin to formulate some kind of idea who the 5th starter should be. He won't have to wait until formal practice begins in October. He'll know by mid August.

Another dynamic that the 2017-2018 team will begin the season with is, they won't inherit an ongoing win streak. They will begin the season "fresh" with a clean slate. They can start their own win streak that is theirs, and they own exclusively.

Reaction Score
Is anyone from this site going to Italy for the exhibition games? I doubt they will be televised.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Nurse, Williams, Samuelson, Collier are starting next year (barring any injury - knock on wood). Then I imagine either Stevens or Dangerfield. I'm betting on Stevenson for the height. And that gives you an experienced guard of the bench. Also with the height of Stevens in there, I think that would give Williams even more license to roam and create havoc on defense. Having Stevens on offense will also possibly pull a taller (center hopefully) player off of Collier which would make her even more dangerous inside.

Having Stevens will also help our shot blocking and rebounding, which will allow us to run/fast break even more. Which will reduce our need for "ball handling".

Very few teams pressed us this year anyway. And those that did, didn't have much luck. I don't think "ball handling" is a big problem we need to fix. Height/rebounding on the other hand, while not a huge problem, certainly can be improved.

I would be a little surprised to see Dangerfield start, but I've been surprised before. I think she would have to make a huge jump in running the team this summer to do that.

I just think there are bigger advantages (team wise) to having Stevens start over Dangerfield.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom