Who are our starting five next year? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Who are our starting five next year?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Just hypothetically, suppose that we have sophomore Moriah Jefferson on the team next year. Does she come off the bench, because we start the 4 returning starters plus a tall and talented transfer?

Reaction Score
Just hypothetically, suppose that we have sophomore Moriah Jefferson on the team next year. Does she come off the bench, because we start the 4 returning starters plus a tall and talented transfer?

IMO- yes unless Stevens defense is weak.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Most seem to think Azura starts and Crystal comes off the bench. That's a possibility. Geno has seen Azura practice now for a year. But I still like Crystal starting as the 1. For most of the games I paid attention to, either Crystal or Saniya were on the court at almost all times. To me that meant that Geno preferred one of them as the 1 over Kia (or Lou or Gabby).

The real question is at what point does Geno start subbing? Clearly he has a dearth of talent and I suspect somewhere at the 5 min mark he will start rotating. the problem with that is cohesion and flow. I just don't know how he will acclimate fully 10 kids who could easily be good enough for serious PT on any other team.

Danger, Kia, Lou, Gabby, Napheesa is my guess for starters.

In general, reserves off the bench in this order: Azura, Batouly, Megan, Natalie, Mikayla, Andi, Lexi, Kyla and Molly in that order. I suspect the last 4 will generally see time in the last 4 minutes of games. I see the upside for Andi and Lexi as much higher than Kyla or Molly. But their being ahead of the sophomores on the depth chart will be determined by how hard they work and how fast they pick things up. Andi is an extraordinary scorer, but so was Saniya in high school. NO idea how she translates to college (Andi). Lexi is a hard worker, but I don't see that she has as much potential as the rest of the players ahead of her.

Again just my opinion. No idea how the kids improve during the season. I hope all of them get really good really fast...

Reaction Score
going from a short bench to a long bench means we all have to concentrate more on who develops the "trust" from Geno. If it turns out that the trusted players number approaches 8, 9, or 10 we then will see substitution based on match ups and the who is playing well at the moment. The starting five then is not as important as in the past.

Reaction Score
So the PG for the Canadian national team doesn't count?

Also, Mikayla is the most likely PG of the incoming freshmen. Lexi is a wing/small forward.

Your not getting it. Kia is terrific. I'm not worried about her. I'm worried about a line up without danger when ball handling is at a premium. Maybe I'm not making my point clear enough.

Reaction Score
Why do you need "a natural ball-handler" and not consider Nurse "a natural ball-handler?" Nurse was "the natural ballhandler" vs USA? And Chong was not the definitive pg this year.

I was considering Kia a natural ball handler!!!! I'm saying we need a second such ball handler on the court!! I'm saying we need a balanced line up and hope danger can start.

Reaction Score
The other thing to consider is we just lost our fastest player in Saniya. By not replacing her with Crystal means Geno is willing to go with a really slow starting line up.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Your not getting it. Kia is terrific. I'm not worried about her. I'm worried about a line up without danger when ball handling is at a premium. Maybe I'm not making my point clear enough.
Your point is clear. But respectfully I just don't agree with it. In addition to Kia, Gabby & Lou are exceptional ball handlers who both had over 100 assists this season and were successfully used at times to bring the ball up against pressing defenses. In addition, Pheesa is no slouch and Z is also capable of putting the ball on the floor and passing the ball.

This is a team that set an all-time record for assists in a season. Saniya was certainly a big part of that, but the players coming back next year will all be better and will more than make up for Saniya's loss.

As for Danger, she will have a bigger role next year, but likely off the bench. The most glaring weakness of this year's team was size, and that should be addressed by starting Z.

Reaction Score
Generally Geno starts his best five and will mix and match a little with positions. I'm thinking of 2002 where he started three posts. So I'd bet Azura joins the core four as a starter. Crystal first off the bench as that balances the lineup. The only difference I have with the other posts is I think Megan might push Camara for the seventh spot.

Reaction Score
I was considering Kia a natural ball handler!!!! I'm saying we need a second such ball handler on the court!! I'm saying we need a balanced line up and hope danger can start.

You don't think Gabby is a good ballhandler? On defense doubtful that Gabby will be guarding the post as much when we have Stevens, Collier, Lou and Kia. So what's wrong with Gabby being the 2nd ball-handler?

Reaction Score
The other thing to consider is we just lost our fastest player in Saniya. By not replacing her with Crystal means Geno is willing to go with a really slow starting line up.

"Fastest?" IMO "the fastest team" has little to do with fundamentals. It gets you nowhere without fundamentals. And UCONN has incredible fundamental players. I think Saniya's attribute of being "fast" isn't very relevant. How much did her speed impact the game vs her other attributes? And it's not like she was an a/a. Anyhow imo saniya's bets attributes were her ability to not make turnovers - she averaged just a bit over 1 per game (she averaged 4 assists but that can be picked up) and her ability to shoot. These attributes are "fundamentals-of-basketball related". Her speed is not. UCONN lost vs Miss State also with rebounding which is fundamental related. Because UCONN had to play all season with such small size imo that factor also trumps speed. There is no reason to risk Gabby or Napheesa to have to play big centers.

Add that up with Collier and Stevens I doubt are considered "very slow" for their positions and Gabby is fast. I wouldn't call Kia Nurse "very slow." So why do you say "very slow?"

Reaction Score
Most seem to think Azura starts and Crystal comes off the bench. That's a possibility. Geno has seen Azura practice now for a year. But I still like Crystal starting as the 1. For most of the games I paid attention to, either Crystal or Saniya were on the court at almost all times. To me that meant that Geno preferred one of them as the 1 over Kia (or Lou or Gabby).

The real question is at what point does Geno start subbing? Clearly he has a dearth of talent and I suspect somewhere at the 5 min mark he will start rotating. the problem with that is cohesion and flow. I just don't know how he will acclimate fully 10 kids who could easily be good enough for serious PT on any other team.

Danger, Kia, Lou, Gabby, Napheesa is my guess for starters.

Again just my opinion. No idea how the kids improve during the season. I hope all of them get really good really fast...

IMO that happened because he didn't trust Nat as much, and Gabby was evolving / settled in incredible as the 4. Now imo he'll prefer better quality in Stevens. What I saw as the season progressed was the evolution of Gabby Williams. Further in games vs Mss State and Texas and Fla State and Baylor (Baylor what helped was getting Brown into foul trouble. Can't "expect" that.) we were having a he problem on the glass. So we had 4 games in which that has to be fixed along with the threat of Gabby and Collier being so small that one of them to start the game was forced to play out of position.

I think the size and quality of play from Stevens supersedes the quality Danger brings.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Some of us think Crystal will start, with Z being the first off the bench.

Sports Reporter: So Geno, are you starting Stevens or Dangerfield?
Geno to Sports Reporter: Hmmmmm, tough question. Let me see ...

Stevens 6'6" - Associated Press Honorable Mention All-America, WBCA Region I All-America, selected to the Wade Watch Top 30 list, All-ACC Tournament Second Team, John R. Wooden Late Season Top 20, USBWA Midseason Watch List for National Player of the year, Naismith National Player of the Year Watch List, All-ACC First Team selection by both the Blue Ribbon Panel and league head coaches - Did I mention she is an athletic 6'6" tall?

Dangerfield 5'5" -

Geno to Reporter: Hmmm, I'm leaning towards Z. :D

Who jumps for the opening tap? Gabby or Z, if Z starts?

Whichever jumps the highest and fastest with great timimg will jump opening tap.

Reaction Score
The way geno works things, is you have to earn the starting spot. So that means there are no locks for starting positions. As i said earlier they have 5 preseason games in Italy to figure out lineups.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
We all know this or should - Geno will play those he trusts.

Reaction Score
By year end at crunch time in games, Williams, Collier, Nurse, Stevens and Walker. Gabby is a workaholic and will improve her shooting range. (Note the open 18-fters she passed up in the MSU game.) Collier was great but could use more confidence in the Madness. Kiah needs to be the leader. Stevens has been champing at the bit. Walker, if she can learn the rotations and be an effective passer.
KLS has trouble rebounding, guarding, blocking, creating and stealing. I shuddered every time she brought the ball up. She still has time to develop her game. Hope she does. 1st team All American? Not. Bball is more than 3 pt shots.
CD is a year away. Coombs? The Kentucky kid?
All in all, a great season. The 7 filled in the puzzle pieces as best they could, especially GW, NC and KLS. The key guys were young. Geno did a hell of a job.
Though we lost to MSU, it was the most dramatic game of the year.
I would challenge MSU and SC to still beat UCONN if they played the Final Four again right now.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Anyone wanna guess how many threads we will have about this before November??
Should be this one and only this one. Until one of them shows to be unworthy of starting; it should be as Carnac says with a bit of clarification.

Collier - All-American 1st team
Williams - All-American 1st team
Samuelson - All-American 1st team
Nurse - All-American honorable mention
Stevens - All-American honorable mention

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
???!!?? We know Gabulous has hops. I don't know if Z has any or not (not all tall people can jump). At this time, I don't have sufficient data to give you a definitive answer.
Let me get back to you on that one.
I think she will push Gabby for jumping opening tap. There is a lot air below her feet. Did anyone mention, she has a 7 inch head start (pun intended)? And don't give me no gas about camera angles! ;)
upload_2017-4-5_9-46-52.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I hope Kia makes a big jump like all the preseason accolades suspected she would. I think if she doesn't her PT would be significantly cut and giving to Crystal Dangerfield. Kia at times was impressive, but I saw her equally to Saniya Chong at times and a lot of people knew that's why we were always referred to a"Big 3". I just hope Kia rest this summer (stay away Canada basketball) because she really needs it. I think Crystal Dangerfield only mission this summer would be being a starter next season. So my five are Lou, Gabby, Phee, Azura, Kia (if she isn't producing then it would be Crystal Dangerfield like when Geno use to make Doty start and replace her with Hartley a couple of minutes after).

HGN

Reaction Score
Geno will have 5 starters.....That start. But essentially he has 10 starters , or players , capable of starting. Which is a great thing. DEPTH up the ying-yang. Something he didn't have this past season.

It will be hard not to start any of the current AA. Plus Kia.....That 5th starter will have to earn the right and privilege.

Reaction Score
"Fastest?" IMO "the fastest team" has little to do with fundamentals. It gets you nowhere without fundamentals. And UCONN has incredible fundamental players. I think Saniya's attribute of being "fast" isn't very relevant. How much did her speed impact the game vs her other attributes? And it's not like she was an a/a. Anyhow imo saniya's bets attributes were her ability to not make turnovers - she averaged just a bit over 1 per game (she averaged 4 assists but that can be picked up) and her ability to shoot. These attributes are "fundamentals-of-basketball related". Her speed is not. UCONN lost vs Miss State also with rebounding which is fundamental related. Because UCONN had to play all season with such small size imo that factor also trumps speed. There is no reason to risk Gabby or Napheesa to have to play big centers.

Add that up with Collier and Stevens I doubt are considered "very slow" for their positions and Gabby is fast. I wouldn't call Kia Nurse "very slow." So why do you say "very slow?"
Not sure if Saniya would win races but she was the only one with the foot speed to guard quick guards throughout playoffs. More than rebounding, viewed the main issue UConn had against top competition was allowing guards to drive the lane.

Reaction Score
I hope Kia makes a big jump like all the preseason accolades suspected she would. I think if she doesn't her PT would be significantly cut and giving to Crystal Dangerfield. Kia at times was impressive, but I saw her equally to Saniya Chong at times and a lot of people knew that's why we were always referred to a"Big 3". I just hope Kia rest this summer (stay away Canada basketball) because she really needs it. I think Crystal Dangerfield only mission this summer would be being a starter next season. So my five are Lou, Gabby, Phee, Azura, Kia (if she isn't producing then it would be Crystal Dangerfield like when Geno use to make Doty start and replace her with Hartley a couple of minutes after).
Respectfully, Kia was money after she came back from her injury. Not a good defender in playoffs, but since this has always been a strength, have to give her credit for playing at the level she did while hurt. Suspect we will learn the injury was worse than most thought. Not sure what you saw in Crystal Dangerfield. Glad she is on team but inconsistent and often a defensive issue due to size.

Reaction Score
Your point is clear. But respectfully I just don't agree with it. In addition to Kia, Gabby & Lou are exceptional ball handlers who both had over 100 assists this season and were successfully used at times to bring the ball up against pressing defenses. In addition, Pheesa is no slouch and Z is also capable of putting the ball on the floor and passing the ball.

This is a team that set an all-time record for assists in a season. Saniya was certainly a big part of that, but the players coming back next year will all be better and will more than make up for Saniya's loss.

As for Danger, she will have a bigger role next year, but likely off the bench. The most glaring weakness of this year's team was size, and that should be addressed by starting Z.

Ok. Fair enough. I respect your point of view.

Reaction Score
You don't think Gabby is a good ballhandler? On defense doubtful that Gabby will be guarding the post as much when we have Stevens, Collier, Lou and Kia. So what's wrong with Gabby being the 2nd ball-handler?

I think gabby is an amazing player and can certainly handle the ball. I do notice that she is usually guarded by a 3 or 4 or even a 5. If she can bring the ball up against a pressuring 2 then I'm happy. But can she?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom