Which team has the best chance to stop UCONN from four consecutive NC | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Which team has the best chance to stop UCONN from four consecutive NC

Status
Not open for further replies.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Thanks. It's a home game for you guys I see. Gotta ask - or gottah ask- do you see Deshields as a starter by then?
I think if she is full go by then YES. It just depends on how she is and the coaches. I think Cooper will be real good.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I think if she is full go by then YES. It just depends on how she is and the coaches. I think Cooper will be real good.
Do you expect Cooper to be a starter? If so, why? The fact that she is listed as the only PG listed on the Tenn official roster does not count! ;)

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Do you expect Cooper to be a starter? If so, why? The fact that she is listed as the only PG listed on the Tenn official roster does not count! ;)
I don't think Cooper will start right away. She is a true PG. I think Reynolds will start early on. Then I also wouldn't be surprised to see Cooper at PG Reynolds at 2 guard some also. Then Carter and Middleton can also play the point. That's what I was talking about with the different lineups.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I don't think Cooper will start right away. She is a true PG. I think Reynolds will start early on. Then I also wouldn't be surprised to see Cooper at PG Reynolds at 2 guard some also. Then Carter and Middleton can also play the point. That's what I was talking about with the different lineups.

I really enjoy your feedback on your team. I wish there were a representative of all the top teams here as I don't read the national board as there are too many mean spirited posters.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I really enjoy your feedback on your team. I wish there were a representative of all the top teams here as I don't read the national board as there are too many mean spirited posters.
Thanks. How do you see Baylor this year?

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I agree with all your points. Last year she seemingly inexplicably let her "man" drive baseline several times, when obviously I in my easy chair could have easily moved over and cut the driver off.

My hope is that some of that was owing to her knee surgery--physically, mentally, or both--and that this year she will be in a better place and improve at least marginally in that area. And I can't wait to see her splashing threes at a 40+% clip.
Great thoughts- I really dont think we've seen anything near what she's capable of shooting threes! She won the McDonald's All America Contest her sr year!

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Morgan is a an amazing defender, someone put a clip up of her vs ND switching and guarding like 4 different ND players in a span of 15 seconds. Can't remember who put it up but I may go find it. Mo and Kia are the more visible defenders because of where they play on the floor and the camera view you get on TV, but I task you with watching her work, you might be surprised at how good she is.
I remember that clip. And I know just how smart she is. She understands the game like Kelly Faris & KML. And I think she is solid on defense. But I think she is stronger on the O than the D. I love Morgan Tuck!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Thanks. How do you see Baylor this year?

Deepest and tallest team Mulkey has ever had. A great PG in Johnson, tremendous 2 guard in Jones and a great 3 guard in Wallace. Nina Davis will perform at her same AA level and I expect Mompremier to start in the middle. Reports from early practices are that freshmen Mompremier and Szczepanski looked really good. Szczepanski may be the surprise player of the class.

Oops! I forgot Prince. This is going to be a tough team to beat.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Dean always does a good interview. I do look at this team. This team is the most talented Holly has had. Mercedes will be much better than her freshman year. This team is very athletic. I was speaking of the talent aspect about matching up with UConn. From that perspective I see it as pretty close.
I don't see that. I think TN will be pretty good this year. They have a shot at the FF, along with S. Carolina, ND, Baylor, maybe Duke. But TN really doesn't have anyone on the level of Stewart or Jefferson or probably even Tuck. You have Graves, Reynolds and Carter as your proven commodities and they don't match up. Russell and DeShields may come good, but they haven't proven anything at this point. Even then, they are not at the Stewart/Jefferson (as seniors) level.

Even if Cooper is good (and I think she will be), Nurse already has a college year and International experience on her.

If you want to match up Russell/DeShields against Butler/Williams, yea I can see that. But then you are matching TN's #1 option against UCONN's #5 option.

So, really talent wise TN doesn't match up anywhere. At least at this point.

Sorry...
628x471.jpg

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I don't see that. I think TN will be pretty good this year. They have a shot at the FF, along with S. Carolina, ND, Baylor, maybe Duke. But TN really doesn't have anyone on the level of Stewart or Jefferson or probably even Tuck. You have Graves, Reynolds and Carter as your proven commodities and they don't match up. Russell and DeShields may come good, but they haven't proven anything at this point. Even then, they are not at the Stewart/Jefferson (as seniors) level.

Even if Cooper is good (and I think she will be), Nurse already has a college year and International experience on her.

If you want to match up Russell/DeShields against Butler/Williams, yea I can see that. But then you are matching TN's #1 option against UCONN's #5 option.

So, really talent wise TN doesn't match up anywhere. At least at this point.
Lets see DeShields was not only the National Freshman of the Year. She was also on The Wooden top 15 players list. Russell was the top player in her class. That class also had DeShields. Russell has shown in WUG. That she is now healthy. Also playing at a higher level than her freshman year. Don't forget Tennessee has a beast in Graves. Jones and Carter are great athletes also

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Lets see DeShields was not only the National Freshman of the Year. She was also on The Wooden top 15 players list. Russell was the top player in her class. That class also had DeShields. Russell has shown in WUG. That she is now healthy. Also playing at a higher level than her freshman year. Don't forget Tennessee has a beast in Graves. Jones and Carter are great athletes also
Well they (Russell, DeShields) are not there now, nor where they there last year. (at that level). And even if they do come good this year (we'll have to wait and see on that), they still are not near the Stewart/Jefferson (as seniors) level.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Well they (Russell, DeShields) are not there now, nor where they there last year. (at that level). And even if they do come good this year (we'll have to wait and see on that), they still are not near the Stewart/Jefferson (as seniors) level.
Well we are about to find out. One more thing about Russell. We don't know just how good a healthy Russell can be. I see her having a big impact on defense. At 6'6"with that length will be hard for players to shoot over.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Guard Diamond DeShields did drills on the sideline with Ashley Wilson, the associate director of sports medicine. UT is proceeding cautiously with the redshirt sophomore transfer, who has been dealing with such lower-leg issues as shin splints and patellar tendinitis.

“She’s still a little sore,” Warlick said. “I think gradually she’s going to get a little bit better and more acclimated to practice.”

http://www.knoxnews.com/govolsxtra/basketball/lady-vols-open-practice-with-cohesiveness_29694233

DeShields place in Tenn line up is very theoretical at this point. In July it was "too early" for her to play. Now it is too early for her to practice. Lockwood yesterday said she could "move" but not run or "go hard."

Let's face it, you have to be a pure Pollyanna to insist on arguing DeShields is now a difference maker. What she is is an open question. I hope she does not go the way of Ashley Valley.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well we are about to find out. One more thing about Russell. We don't know just how good a healthy Russell can be.
Exactly. We don't know. Stewart/Jefferson, we know. Different level of players.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Guard Diamond DeShields did drills on the sideline with Ashley Wilson, the associate director of sports medicine. UT is proceeding cautiously with the redshirt sophomore transfer, who has been dealing with such lower-leg issues as shin splints and patellar tendinitis.

“She’s still a little sore,” Warlick said. “I think gradually she’s going to get a little bit better and more acclimated to practice.”

http://www.knoxnews.com/govolsxtra/basketball/lady-vols-open-practice-with-cohesiveness_29694233

DeShields place in Tenn line up is very theoretical at this point. In July it was "too early" for her to play. Now it is too early for her to practice. Lockwood yesterday said she could "move" but not run or "go hard."

Let's face it, you have to be a pure Pollyanna to insist on arguing DeShields is now a difference maker. What she is is an open question. I hope she does not go the way of Ashley Valley.
There were times that Hornbuckle couldn't practice. She had a pretellar tendon issue. She was a key member of back to back championships.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
There were times that Hornbuckle couldn't practice. She had a pretellar tendon issue. She was a key member of back to back championships.

So this is a non-issue for you? Doesn't enter your thinking? I suspect it enters the thinking of Holly W and D Deshields and the UTenn medical staff supervising her exercises. I'm just astonished that you appear oblivious to the potential ramifications for the UT season. Sorta limits the veracity of your analysis.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
So this is a non-issue for you? Doesn't enter your thinking? I suspect it enters the thinking of Holly W and D Deshields and the UTenn medical staff supervising her exercises. I'm just astonished that you appear oblivious to the potential ramifications for the UT season. Sorta limits the veracity of your analysis.
I haven't said that. Yes I understand if she is limited. The impact it can have on the season. I also think they are moving with caution. To make sure she is ready. She doesn't have to be game ready just yet. She will be needed in March more than November.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I haven't said that. Yes I understand if she is limited. The impact it can have on the season. I also think they are moving with caution. To make sure she is ready. She doesn't have to be game ready just yet. She will be needed in March more than November.

As you have waxed eloquent about Tenn's chances this year, with specific reference to Deshields as key, you have not so much as given a passing nod to the fact that Deshields is not cleared to practice.

Reaction Score
Tennessee. Diamond DeShields demonstrated @ UNC that she was good enough to "will" her team to win. When the tournament rolls around, DD will lead Tennessee to challenge Uconn for the NCAA championship. She will, of course, fail.
Would be interesting seeing Mo defend against DD.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Here's the bottom line:

Show me a team that can consistantly have five starters in double figures
Show me a team that can play lock down defense
Show me a team that has four of its five starters capable of burying the 3.

The answer is simple - there are none. Not South Carolina, not Tennessee, not Duke, not Baylor, not Notre Dame.

The only team that take down UCONN is UCONN itself. And I don't see that happening.

Reaction Score
Now that we've established that Tennessee will not be the team to stop UConn because they won't pass the ball to each other, I think that USCe has the best chance to defeat UConn. The game on their home court will be close, IMO.
Unfortunately, for USCe and everybody else, the NCAA finals will be on a neutral court where UConn will be prohibitive favorites.

It doesn't matter who we play. Our defense wears them out, saps their will. Some teams can stay with us for 10 minures, a few even for 18 minutes. But no progress early in the second half they lose heart and just go through the motions like SC last year. "Fatigue makes cowards of us all."

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

As you have waxed eloquent about Tenn's chances this year, with specific reference to Deshields as key, you have not so much as given a passing nod to the fact that Deshields is not cleared to practice.

Rocky,
To be fair stwainfan's prior post on this subject contained a caveat about DD health-in bold below.
Diamond has the talent. If she stays healthy and three years. She can be one of the best to play at Tennessee.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Senario......The championship game of the NCAA Tournament. UConn vs...??? UConn is firing on ALL cylinders. EVERYONE is healthy and ready to play.
It's Mo and Stewie's last game in a UConn uniform. The UConn faithful are out in force. They've purchased 75% of the seats available for this game.
The Huskies WILL play their best A+ game of the season today.

With All of the stars in alignment, and everything in their favor........................who's going to beat them??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom