Which team has the best chance to stop UCONN from four consecutive NC | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Which team has the best chance to stop UCONN from four consecutive NC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
If DD makes the other players better and Warlick has them playing like a team.Tenn. IMO the Vols will be better.Deshields can carry ateam also.Something they haven't had since Parker.
TN will certainly be better. SC should be about as good as they were last year, but I wouldn't be surprised if they lost a few more games than they did last year either. This year should be interesting for sure. I hope a lot of teams look better than last year, including UConn of course.

Reaction Score
They wont even beat Tennessee this year!SC was better last year.Welch the only one to play well against the Huskies and if she didn't UConn would have won by 35 or 40.
I have to disagree that SC won't be better this year. I agree they'll miss Welch, but I think the overall team will be much more talented and more cohesive. As to whether they beat TN, that depends on how much TN improves from last year. I do think SC wins the SEC over TN, but it will be close: I think they only play each other once in the regular season.

Reaction Score
I don't see Notre Dame beating UConn at Gampel, so the Gamecocks, playing at their
place, have the best chance of beating UConn during the regular season.

In the tournament, like most folks, I don't see anyone beating UConn if they are healthy.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The toughest regular season game will be at USC in Columbia, but that does not determine the national championship. I think that ND has the talent, coaching, and mental toughness to challenge us the most. As is often the case, injuries will be our biggest threat. Will Stewie, Moriah, et al. succumb to pressure or overconfidence? It's certainly possible, but I don't think so.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
To me the mostly likely scenario fAor a UConn loss in the post season is what happened to Maya her senior year or Griner. Some team sets about a game plan to play Stewie rough, the refs allow it and Stewie doesn't handle it well. Think this team has enough weapons to handle an off night from Stewie against most teams, but you never know.
CoCo , I like your , and some of the other posters rationale , but you all have it wrong......The best team with a chance to stop UConn from winning four consecutive NC's is...(drum roll)..UCONN!!
Granted , there are any number of good teams out there , USC (east) ; Fla. St.; ND ; Ohio St. ; Tenn. ; Md. ; etc.But none of them have what UCONN has in experience , talent , coaching , and depth. UCONN may lose a game during the regular season just like they did last year. And still win it all.
I don't think anyone of the aforementioned teams can stop UCONN if the Huskies play up to their full potential.
So in my mind , as feeble as it might be , the ONLY team out there that can stop UCONN from winning four consecutive NC's is UCONN itself.....Some of the other teams might make it close . But this is WCBB we are talking about here.... Not horseshoes.
HGN,
UCONNWBB and Meyers are going to send you a bill because they have both already expressed the idea that only UCONN can beat UCONN. I don't disagree with this. It was just a matter of calculating the probabilities. A Geno coached UCONN team is not going to beat itself so I chose the field in the NCAA tournament.
SWHuskyFan Maya's senior year-No. That team was just too young and too dependent on Maya and the nail in the coffin was EDD was back in Delaware. Griner's Senior year 2013- absolutely! Baylor was OVERwhelmingly favored and Louisville mugged Griner into submission.
Here is where we have major agreement this team is so seasoned , tested and deep that mugging Stewie is not going to get it done. You would have to mug Stewie, & lock MoJett in her hotel room at game time, or Tonya Harding Kia Nurse, & tie Morgan's left hand behind her back, or put a sedative Natalie's water bottle, & payoff the refs & hope the 2nd team all catch the flu just to have a fighting chance.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
HGN,
UCONNWBB and Meyers are going to send you a bill because they have both already expressed the idea that only UCONN can beat UCONN. I don't disagree with this. It was just a matter of calculating the probabilities. A Geno coached UCONN team is not going to beat itself so I chose the field in the NCAA tournament.
SWHuskyFan Maya's senior year-No. That team was just too young and too dependent on Maya and the nail in the coffin was EDD was back in Delaware. Griner's Senior year 2013- absolutely! Baylor was OVERwhelmingly favored and Louisville mugged Griner into submission.
Here is where we have major agreement this team is so seasoned , tested and deep that mugging Stewie is not going to get it done. You would have to mug Stewie, & lock MoJett in her hotel room at game time, or Tonya Harding Kia Nurse, & tie Morgan's left hand behind her back, or put a sedative Natalie's water bottle, & payoff the refs & hope the 2nd team all catch the flu just to have a fighting chance.
The mugging wasn't all that happened, they also hit like 15 or so 3 pointers lol. The rest I concur. :) "Tonya Harding Kia Nurse." You kill me lol.

HGN

Reaction Score
HGN,
CoCo , I apologize to UconnWbb and Meyers I had not read their posts..... but we all agree that the only team that has a good chance of beating the Huskies is the Huskies if they have a bad game.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Stewie, Tuck and Butler will dominate the defense.
Moriah, Nurse, Stewie and Tuck will dominate the offense.
Not likely any team will beat us .
I really never thought Morgan as a great defender. Solid, smart, great offensive player- a really great facilitator! Nurse and Moriah probably create much more havoc on defense- IMO!

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
The San Antonio Spurs are one of the few teams that can beat them this year. A hand picked college all star team would have a difficult time competing with this team - this year! In my humble opinion!
(Tony C wannabe)

Reaction Score
They all have a chance to beat us. A chance in H**l, Bwaa haa haaa.

35bm9p.jpg

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I really never thought Morgan as a great defender. Solid, smart, great offensive player- a really great facilitator! Nurse and Moriah probably create much more havoc on defense- IMO!
I agree with all your points. Last year she seemingly inexplicably let her "man" drive baseline several times, when obviously I in my easy chair could have easily moved over and cut the driver off.

My hope is that some of that was owing to her knee surgery--physically, mentally, or both--and that this year she will be in a better place and improve at least marginally in that area. And I can't wait to see her splashing threes at a 40+% clip.

Reaction Score
I think just Based on talent. Tennessee might give UConn the best game. Having Mercedes back adding Diamond and Cooper , Jones also back. If this team stays healthy they can be really good.

Perhaps, but talent without experience rarely wins against elite level teams. Since the last season in which Mercedes played, Tenn has lost 4 of the 5 starters she played with. And Russell subbed in for the 5th, Graves, for many of her minutes. Those who remain and with whom she will play this year accounted for 20 points/game in 2014. No matter which 5 Tenn puts on the court this year they will for all practical matter be without any actual game experience playing together other than the exhibition games they played in Italy. Tenn's year will be 2016/2017.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Perhaps, but talent without experience rarely wins against elite level teams. Since the last season in which Mercedes played, Tenn has lost 4 of the 5 starters she played with. And Russell subbed in for the 5th, Graves, for many of her minutes. Those who remain and with whom she will play this year accounted for 20 points/game in 2014. No matter which 5 Tenn puts on the court this year they will for all practical matter be without any actual game experience playing together other than the exhibition games they played in Italy. Tenn's year will be 2016/2017.
I understand your point. I think having played in Italy. Will help the team be farther along. Than just starting with the first practice. BTW I saw a photo and Pat was there at Practice:) One more point I think in how this season goes. There are not many teams that can put ball pressure on. With the athletic ability of Jones, Carter, DeShields, and Cooper.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
. There are not many teams that can put ball pressure on. With the athletic ability of Jones, Carter, DeShields, and Cooper.
Ah yep, defense and rebounding. :rolleyes:

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Morgan is a an amazing defender, someone put a clip up of her vs ND switching and guarding like 4 different ND players in a span of 15 seconds. Can't remember who put it up but I may go find it. Mo and Kia are the more visible defenders because of where they play on the floor and the camera view you get on TV, but I task you with watching her work, you might be surprised at how good she is.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I have to disagree that SC won't be better this year. I agree they'll miss Welch, but I think the overall team will be much more talented and more cohesive. As to whether they beat TN, that depends on how much TN improves from last year. I do think SC wins the SEC over TN, but it will be close: I think they only play each other once in the regular season.
SCar may end up scoring more this year but I think their opponents will too. Their defense vs ranked opponents last year was super leaky. The players they lost to graduation that started although they were liabilities on offense helped combat some of that lack of awareness on defense, who picks up the slack now?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Morgan is a an amazing defender, someone put a clip up of her vs ND switching and guarding like 4 different ND players in a span of 15 seconds. Can't remember who put it up but I may go find it. Mo and Kia are the more visible defenders because of where they play on the floor and the camera view you get on TV, but I task you with watching her work, you might be surprised at how good she is.
That someone would be me. But to be fair this was Morgan before this last surgery

I had it marked and detailed in a previous post complete with video. I'll dig it out.
Here you go!
Morgan Tuck (freshman) 2013 National Semi-Final from the 12:47- 12:32 (if you have the video) mark of the 1st half, pulled off the 2nd greatest defense sequence in the history on women’s college basketball. In those 15 seconds Morgan switched off, Natalie Achonwa to meet Jewel Lloyd- who had gotten around KML- at the top of the key (Switch #1) . Morgan stayed with Jewel to the basket and got a piece of Jewel’s shot (Block #1). Morgan fell out of bounds under the basket and the rebound comes off weakside to Kayla McBride. Morgan quickly jumps back inbounds and blocks Kayla’s shot at the rim (Switch #2) & (Block #2). The ball rebounds long beyond the three point line to Jewel. Morgan goes out to challenge Jewel (Switch #3) long enough for jewel to hesitate Morgan switches back to Achonwa (Switch #4). Jewel passes to Skylar. Jefferson and Faris double Skylar leaving Jewel open at the 3 point line. Morgan switches off Achonwa (Switch #5) again & challenges Jewel at the three point line. Jewel drives, Morgan covers and as Jewel attempts to pass/shot at the basket, Morgan swats the ball off Achonwa (Block #3) out of bounds. UCONN ball!!!!! That is 5 defensive switches & 3 Block shots to cover 3 All-American players in a 15 second span by a freshman.

wes33

Revels in Blue Devils
Reaction Score
Love my Devils being a dark horse we have more scoring threats from every
position than any Duke team I remember. We have in Angela and Kyra two
of the top guards in the country plus Stevens & Greenwell.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Love my Devils being a dark horse we have more scoring threats from every
position than any Duke team I remember. We have in Angela and Kyra two
of the top guards in the country plus Stevens & Greenwell.
If only they could guard the 3 point shot.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
That someone would be me. But to be fair this was Morgan before this last surgery
Fair enough, I still think of her as a great defender. I think she has defended well in all the games we have ever needed her to throughout her career. I can't recall any game really where she has missed an assignment on the defensive end. Her real problem is that she is so consistent people just over look her.

Reaction Score
The next person not named Geno to loft the banner will be Dawn Staley......but it won't be this season.

Staley may never have a better group of players than she has now. Does SC have anyone exciting in its pipe? This may be her best chance to get to the top. Chances of staying there? Another question. As for ND, the one player who could take over a game is in Seattle--Turner is an outstanding inside threat, but she is ineffective away from the basket. Interestingly, Texas seems to be producing an unusually large number of talented players. If Baylor can lock up several, that team could be a threat. BUT: the nc runs through UConn for the time being.

Reaction Score
Staley may never have a better group of players than she has now. Does SC have anyone exciting in its pipe? This may be her best chance to get to the top. Chances of staying there? Another question. As for ND, the one player who could take over a game is in Seattle--Turner is an outstanding inside threat, but she is ineffective away from the basket. Interestingly, Texas seems to be producing an unusually large number of talented players. If Baylor can lock up several, that team could be a threat. BUT: the nc runs through UConn for the time being.

The Big 3 of Aja Wilson, Allisha Gray and Kaela Davis will be the best threesome in the NCAA next season. Whether that will be enough for them is the question.

Reaction Score
I agree with the posters above that say the only one capable of beating UCONN is UCONN!
If UCONN can remain healthy no-one will touch them!
The opponents do not have our coaching staff, the best in WCBB! The opponents don't have the type of athlete that Geno and the staff recruit! They only care about the team not personal success, everything for the good of the team, extraordinary talent where the 3 great recruits won't even start because the starting 5 could all make an All-American team, no opponent works as hard or plays each game so hard as UCONN for the full 40 minutes! UCONN causes match up nightmares for all their opponents!

ND has 1 great player, Turner! You need at least 3 great players to win a NCAA Title! A big, a G, and one other star!
TN does not have enough BB's to go around for the ego's and remember they have Holly Warlick! NO SHOT!
Baylor great talent, but not ready for prime time!
SoCar Not tough enough, I'm not sure Dawn Staley is an elite coach!
Duke They have McCallie and her excuses why they can't win! It's all the player's fault!
MD lost Lexie Brown, but have Brenda Frese! NO SHOT!

If THE MUFFET is that great of a coach why doesn't her players react as UCONN's players do during practices and games?
NO NONE WORKS & PLAYS AS HARD AS UCONN! WHY?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The Big 3 of Aja Wilson, Allisha Gray and Kaela Davis will be the best threesome in the NCAA next season. Whether that will be enough for them is the question.
Coates will be more important to South Carolina next year than either Davis or Gray. I disagree on your big 3 being the best in NCAA. Miss Cox could change/shape big 3 next year. But even without Lauren ,Cuevas, Gray, Davis, Wilson & Coates still not as good as ND: Reimer, Turner,Allen, Boley Ogunbwale etc. also not as good as UCONN: Butler Tuck, KLS, Collier, Nurse, Williams IMO.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I agree with the posters above that say the only one capable of beating UCONN is UCONN!
If UCONN can remain healthy no-one will touch them!
The opponents do not have our coaching staff, the best in WCBB! The opponents don't have the type of athlete that Geno and the staff recruit! They only care about the team not personal success, everything for the good of the team, extraordinary talent where the 3 great recruits won't even start because the starting 5 could all make an All-American team, no opponent works as hard or plays each game so hard as UCONN for the full 40 minutes! UCONN causes match up nightmares for all their opponents!

ND has 1 great player, Turner! You need at least 3 great players to win a NCAA Title! A big, a G, and one other star!
TN does not have enough BB's to go around for the ego's and remember they have Holly Warlick! NO SHOT!
Baylor great talent, but not ready for prime time!
SoCar Not tough enough, I'm not sure Dawn Staley is an elite coach!
Duke They have McCallie and her excuses why they can't win! It's all the player's fault!
MD lost Lexie Brown, but have Brenda Frese! NO SHOT!

If THE MUFFET is that great of a coach why doesn't her players react as UCONN's players do during practices and games?
NO NONE WORKS & PLAYS AS HARD AS UCONN! WHY?

Call off the season...no need to play the games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom