Where does UConn go from here? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Where does UConn go from here?

Reaction Score
Funny you say that. I’m in central MA with charter. We’re currently not getting ESPN due to negotiations. Just noticed this morning. Says Disney tried to up the rates but Charter has my back and is looking out for my best interest.

I’m sure my bill will be lower for the missing channels too.
What Charter charges me every month should be constituted as theft. I just can’t seem to cut the cord. This might finally be it though - a few channels I tend to watch are now blocked and somehow they’ll find a way to raise their prices. Think I’m finally done with them.

Reaction Score
lmao at thinking this is an unpopular opinion, half of UConn fans blame the football team for the Big East breaking up which is just about the dumbest thing I ever heard but anyway it probably doesn't help that a huge part of the fan base actually resents the football team
I'm defo out of the loop, not living in CT and not visiting message boards a lot. The whole thing is humiliating, and it doesn't need to be. From what I can tell UConn is doing quite well as an institution of higher education (record applications and enrollment for their latest incoming class?). I know that's not important on a message board like this and generally secondary to athletic success, but it's kind of the whole reason for it's existence. To be this thirsty for Alabama or Michigan's table scraps is just sad. For 99.9% of its history college football has been a "competition" that isn't a competition at all. It's the only big time sport in America where you can literally win all your games and NOT get a chance to compete for a championship. Half or more of the teams start the season with ZERO chance to win the competition they're taking part in. They have to follow all the same rules; offer a certain number of scholarships, maintain facilities, pay for coaches and other staff all while having no guaranteed access to a playoff. I can't imagine why anyone would agree to this deal, except for the prestige by proximity maybe?

Reaction Score
We'll have to stay in the one dimensional conference for a while longer. But, on the terms accepted by the new ACC members (especially SMU), I am glad we didn't have that decision. It would be hard to stomach being an indentured servant to the unproductive schlumps from BC and Syracuse. That effort is a finger in the dike. It essentially puts the ACC's unequal distribution deal on the backs of the new members for a lengthy period of time. At least we have the dignity of not playing that BS game. Subsidizing the weak sisters of the ACC will grow old for sure, but for us it's a non- starter.

Reaction Score
Football drives the bus!
Just because they drive the bus it doesn’t mean they aren’t destroying the business. Look back in history at all the companies that thought they were in control and had it all. This will not end well, I guarantee it. I may be dead but save my Joe Namath post. I for one have cut the chord and am happy watching what I want. SEC football it ain’t I’ll stick with the NFL

Reaction Score

Here are a few things we can pass along.

Big 12 Commissioner Brett Yormark talked up UConn’s appeal, not the other way around. There were quiet conversations between UConn and the ACC, during a period before enough conference presidents softened their opposition to West Coast additions. UConn’s interest in the Big 12 and the ACC were no secret, but the school’s hierarchy keeps these things low profile.
Why? A big media blitz would not impress a prospective power conference, and only antagonize the Big East, the conference in which UConn resides. Why SMU and not UConn? SMU, according to reports, has agreed to wait nine years before collecting its TV revenue. With its massive backing from Texas oil and gas interests, SMU can afford to accept those terms. UConn would be nuts to go for something like that.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Big 12 Commissioner Brett Yormark talked up UConn’s appeal, not the other way around. There were quiet conversations between UConn and the ACC, during a period before enough conference presidents softened their opposition to West Coast additions. UConn’s interest in the Big 12 and the ACC were no secret, but the school’s hierarchy keeps these things low profile.
Why? A big media blitz would not impress a prospective power conference, and only antagonize the Big East, the conference in which UConn resides. Why SMU and not UConn? SMU, according to reports, has agreed to wait nine years before collecting its TV revenue. With its massive backing from Texas oil and gas interests, SMU can afford to accept those terms. UConn would be nuts to go for something like that.
Look- we have been talking- we work on quiet

Reaction Score

SMU is getting the same money they would be getting in the AAC, so they don't need any additional money to move conferences from these magical oil and gas people or whatever. Anyone saying that they are getting massive backing to make the move is probably not in the loop in any way.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
SMU is getting the same money they would be getting in the AAC, so they don't need any additional money to move conferences from these magical oil and gas people or whatever. Anyone saying that they are getting massive backing to make the move is probably not in the loop in any way.
It's probably more money than what they are getting from the AAC.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
We wait for 3 or 4 schools to leave the ACC. Then we are taken as a replacement. Until then, the Big East is adequate. It will be questionable at that point if the ACC will be a "power" conference, but it's where we belong.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
We wait for 3 or 4 schools to leave the ACC. Then we are taken as a replacement. Until then, the Big East is adequate. It will be questionable at that point if the ACC will be a "power" conference, but it's where we belong.

The "3 teams leaving the ACC" is wishcasting for something that is legally impossible. The only way the ACC will come apart before 2036 would take so many things to happen as to not be worth discussing.

Reaction Score
The "3 teams leaving the ACC" is wishcasting for something that is legally impossible. The only way the ACC will come apart before 2036 would take so many things to happen as to not be worth discussing.
Right now, I'm most interested in what Oregon State and Washington State do. They've said no to Aresco. Reverse merger with the MWC? Threaten lawsuit to keep P5 status if they do?

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I meant in 2036. 13 long years away.

Reaction Score
I'm defo out of the loop, not living in CT and not visiting message boards a lot. The whole thing is humiliating, and it doesn't need to be. From what I can tell UConn is doing quite well as an institution of higher education (record applications and enrollment for their latest incoming class?). I know that's not important on a message board like this and generally secondary to athletic success, but it's kind of the whole reason for it's existence. To be this thirsty for Alabama or Michigan's table scraps is just sad. For 99.9% of its history college football has been a "competition" that isn't a competition at all. It's the only big time sport in America where you can literally win all your games and NOT get a chance to compete for a championship. Half or more of the teams start the season with ZERO chance to win the competition they're taking part in. They have to follow all the same rules; offer a certain number of scholarships, maintain facilities, pay for coaches and other staff all while having no guaranteed access to a playoff. I can't imagine why anyone would agree to this deal, except for the prestige by proximity maybe?
Good points. However, we are all very aware of how well UConn is doing academically and the importance of its academic rep. CR has made us aware of the importance of potentially being invited to the AAU. It's probably the main reason Stanford and Berkeley are joining the ACC. It's much easier to be optimistic about UConn's future when it continues to be a top rated university.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I will add a bigger threat to UConn than the P2. I think the NBA and NFL could step in with minor leagues that would make college sports obsolete.
Absolutely not. Every sub-NFL league has bombed and no one watches GLeague

Reaction Score
I am still pondering what one coach (and strong personality) can do....

Colorado was similar to UConn football wise....They hire Deion...he completely turns over the roster...upgrades talent...starts his first season upsetting a ranked team...and..Colorado may now one of the hottest brands in football.

On the national consciousness, being talked about.

The Huskies have a good coach.....it is brand building time.

Reaction Score
I don’t think it is impossible for the P2 to go after a couple of B12 schools.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I am still pondering what one coach (and strong personality) can do....

Colorado was similar to UConn football wise....They hire Deion...he completely turns over the roster...upgrades talent...starts his first season upsetting a ranked team...and..Colorado may now one of the hottest brands in football.

On the national consciousness, being talked about.

The Huskies have a good coach.....it is brand building time.

Colorado won a close game against a team that lost 12 starters from last year. I am not ready to hand them the national championship trophy quite yet.

Reaction Score
But...Colorado under Deion is not perceived as the same old Colorado...They are far from a Top 10 team but this is one year removed from an awful team.

Deion has changed the narrative...will it hold ? I don't know.....That depends on winning.

Reaction Score
Well I never expected NC State to turn on its sister school North Carolina along with Clemson and Florida State, But they did. Why? Because Notre Dame wants Stanford in the ACC. Seriously!! This will all backfire sooner or later. The three power school in the ACC are not going to put up with the crap. Come on this conference has been a conference based in North Carolina forever. Now they want to save on travel by playing double headers in the Dallas/Forth Worth area. Come on. The Big East basketball schools are all laughing right now. Wouldn't you be. In the end imagine if the Big East Football Conference sort of gets the band back together again. Yes, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Virgina Tech, West Virginia, UConn, South Florida and Temple. Grab Memphis, even the idiots Boston College along with Army and Navy. There are a bunch of markets here with plenty of Alumni support.

Louisville
West Virginia
Memphis
South Florida
East Carolina
Duke
Georgia Tech
Wake Forest
Virgina Tech

UConn
Boston College
Buffalo
Temple
Army
Navy
Syracuse
Pittsburgh
UMass

Reaction Score
Just because they drive the bus it doesn’t mean they aren’t destroying the business. Look back in history at all the companies that thought they were in control and had it all. This will not end well, I guarantee it. I may be dead but save my Joe Namath post. I for one have cut the chord and am happy watching what I want. SEC football it ain’t I’ll stick with the NFL
I cut the chord too a few years ago but moved to Spectrum streaming. That isn't much different IMO. It might be cheaper ($60 a month) and more customized to my preferences but I am still at the mercy of Spectrum for accessing ESPN as I learned last week. I thought about moving to Hula+ but that benefits Disney as well and they should be punished. There is no easy decision and will only get worse. I relied on an antennae for a few months last year which did not go well. I was able to access most network channels except for CBS but reception was not always very good. Watching games in a sports bar is not cheap either.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom