Where does UConn go from here? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Where does UConn go from here?

Reaction Score
Since I think the Boneyard is still a UConn board, maybe we could have a thread about UConn's options going forward, rather than more discussions about the glory of the Big 10, or wishcasting about the ACC's demise unless it somehow affects UConn.

The Big East seems like a reasonable home for men's and women's basketball for the foreseeable future. Football's schedule and near-term revenue is obviously an issue.

As I have said for the last few months, college sports is getting hit with a whirlwind of change between the end of the cable bundle/streaming, NIL, Transfer Portal, the 12 team college football playoff, and the demographic cliff. Any one of them by itself would have been the biggest event to hit college sports in the last 40-50 years. All 5 are happening at once.

There are several ways this could break right for UConn, in my order of likelihood:

1) Football splits off from the NCAA and sets up its own conferences. This is the most realistic best option for UConn. UConn could stay in the Big East for basketball, and find a schedule in a football only league.

2) ESPN renegotiates out of its long-term linear deals. The end of the cable bundle would seem to make these long-term linear deals with the conferences really expensive and likely money losers for ESPN.. ESPN may try to pivot to becoming a streaming co-operative type business in a post-cable bundle world. In a streaming coop, driving subscribers is critical, and the nature of scheduling could change quite a bit. This option is the only realistic path for UConn to be added to any existing conference if football does not break off from the other sports.

I think NIL and the Transfer Portal will flatten talent dramatically among programs, even spreading high caliber players out to non-P4 programs in football and mid-majors in basketball. Players need to get on the field to get paid, and a lot of G5 programs are in cities where boosters and local corporations can move the needle. If the talent gap between the P4 and G5 shrinks, more pressure will be put on ESPN's expensive linear contracts.

3) I do not see a path for UConn to be added to any all-sports P4 conference as long as the linear deals survive. As they roll off, anything is possible, but that is a long way off.

One way where things could break very badly for UConn:

1) The P2 or P4 really collude to lock out the non-P4,and split off. I think this is unlikely and would destroy college sports and their own gravy train, but it is possible that something like this happens. UConn's athletic program would be finished if this happened.

Nowhere but where we already are.

Reaction Score
What a patently absurd statement. The freaking Jets are more "in the blood of CT residents" than UConn basketball? Sure thing.

Up until the last few years, you could probably make the argument for Yankees/Sox being above UConn hoop... but no way for the NFL.
UConn basketball is bigger than anything else in CT. I don’t think one could really make that argument. The biggest issue in CT is, too many fans are fair-weather.

Reaction Score
Can we just ask MWC nicely if we can join football only. We already play Frenso and Utah State, plus it would give them a 12 oclock game.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
If we rank sports by popularity in CT:
1. NFL
2. MLB
3. College basketball
4. NBA
5. Soccer

Reaction Score
Once USC and UCLA went to the B1G, we officially jumped the shark. It will take a while, but eventually football will break away. The current conference realignment trend (e.g., acc's most recent additions) is simply unsustainable. UConn is focusing on what it can control, which is exactly what it should be doing.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
UConn is doing what it needs to do to position itself for now and the future:

1) invest in facilities and branding

2) win in the Big East and Hockey East

3) develop football schedules with games that will interest fans

4) improve football play

Reaction Score
UConn basketball is bigger than anything else in CT. I don’t think one could really make that argument. The biggest issue in CT is, too many fans are fair-weather.

Come on - that first part is simply a ridiculous statement. You are correct on the second. Casual UConn fans are only fully invested when the team is good, especially March.

UConn basketball is not bigger than the Yankees, Mets, BoSox, Giants, and Pats in any way shape or form. Sure, UConn hoops may have a greater overall interest than say the Jets, Nets, and Islanders but even the Celtics, Knicks, and Rangers have far more impact and loyloyalty a larger number of people in CT.

Yes, UConn basketball is the heart and soul of "Connecticut pride" (its the only National brand the State has with the Whalers gone), but it doesn't bump MLB and NFL as a investment in time, $$$, and loyalty for the most sports fans in the CT.

Last edited:

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I don't believe the football program will be sustainable as an independent within ten years. Since the Rent doesnt seem to be able to attract much of anything else event wise, such as soccer, concerts, etc., the state might balk at further upkeep/improvements and the school will consider dropping football entirely. Should the P2 arise, we won't be the only school facing some hard choices when left out of the big leagues.

Reaction Score
I don't believe the football program will be sustainable as an independent within ten years. Since the Rent doesnt seem to be able to attract much of anything else event wise, such as soccer, concerts, etc., the state might balk at further upkeep/improvements and the school will consider dropping football entirely. Should the P2 arise, we won't be the only school facing some hard choices when left out of the big leagues.
Well, the P2 has arisen and there are plenty of programs already left out.

Since the AAC announced it is not looking west, OSU and WSU must be joining the Mountain West programs somehow. The AAC may consider another football only addition to keep up with the joneses and take advantage of what the Big 12 missed out on.

Reaction Score
Can we just ask MWC nicely if we can join football only. We already play Frenso and Utah State, plus it would give them a 12 oclock game.
Interesting. Oregon State, Wash State, Air Force would be interesting rivals.

Reaction Score
It would be really nice if Oregon State and/or Washington State filed an anti-trust case against the Big 10, ACC and Big 12. We could use someone else being the plaintiff other than UConn.
Another interesting case would be a Title 9 violation. Women's sports is getting the short shrift in realignment.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Miami, FL State, Clemson, UVA, UNC will be gone. UConn the joins the ACC possibly with Temple and a couple others.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Miami, FL State, Clemson, UVA, UNC will be gone. UConn the joins the ACC possibly with Temple and a couple others.

10 years out, a lot could change. Between now and then, basketball is going to generate most of the revenue, but football needs a schedule and some way to get broadcast. That is what UConn needs in the short term.

Reaction Score
10 years out, a lot could change. Between now and then, basketball is going to generate most of the revenue, but football needs a schedule and some way to get broadcast. That is what UConn needs in the short term.
Football also needs to be ranked in the top 30 or better soon. We need a way to get there.

Reaction Score
I'm probably alone in this, but I think UConn should drop football, effective immediately, and be loud about it. Don't be sheepish, get out in front of it. Say the quiet part out loud: College football is a mugs game, designed to fill the pockets of the 10 or 15 programs (and their coaches) at the top at the expense of everyone else. It's exploitative and actually causes long-term physical harm to student athletes (ask the kid who was stretchered off last night from N.C. State). Participating in this charade is embarrassing, but we're being offered an off ramp and we should take it. We'll (hopefully) continue to win NCs in the sports we compete in and our women's volleyball players won't have to drag themselves to Stillwater, Oklahoma on Tuesday night.

Reaction Score
I'm probably alone in this, but I think UConn should drop football, effective immediately, and be loud about it.

lmao at thinking this is an unpopular opinion, half of UConn fans blame the football team for the Big East breaking up which is just about the dumbest thing I ever heard but anyway it probably doesn't help that a huge part of the fan base actually resents the football team

Reaction Score
lmao at thinking this is an unpopular opinion, half of UConn fans blame the football team for the Big East breaking up which is just about the dumbest thing I ever heard but anyway it probably doesn't help that a huge part of the fan base actually resents the football team
Football drives the bus!

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I'm probably alone in this, but I think UConn should drop football, effective immediately, and be loud about it. Don't be sheepish, get out in front of it. Say the quiet part out loud: College football is a mugs game, designed to fill the pockets of the 10 or 15 programs (and their coaches) at the top at the expense of everyone else. It's exploitative and actually causes long-term physical harm to student athletes (ask the kid who was stretchered off last night from N.C. State). Participating in this charade is embarrassing, but we're being offered an off ramp and we should take it. We'll (hopefully) continue to win NCs in the sports we compete in and our women's volleyball players won't have to drag themselves to Stillwater, Oklahoma on Tuesday night.
This strategy is right up there with being a leader with not playing the 2020 season! We got a great rep from that so I could definitely see your plan working out well ......Thank you for your interest in UConn football

Orc

Reaction Score
UConn is doing what it needs to do to position itself for now and the future:

1) invest in facilities and branding

2) win in the Big East and Hockey East

3) develop football schedules with games that will interest fans

4) improve football play
And none of it will be good enough to get invited to anything sadly :(

Reaction Score
Come on - that first part is simply a ridiculous statement. You are correct on the second. Casual UConn fans are only fully invested when the team is good, especially March.

UConn basketball is not bigger than the Yankees, Mets, BoSox, Giants, and Pats in any way shape or form. Sure, UConn hoops may have a greater overall interest than say the Jets, Nets, and Islanders but even the Celtics, Knicks, and Rangers have far more impact and loyloyalty a larger number of people in CT.

Yes, UConn basketball is the heart and soul of "Connecticut pride" (its the only National brand the State has with the Whalers gone), but it doesn't bump MLB and NFL as a investment in time, $$$, and loyalty for the most sports fans in the CT.
Connecticut is just like Hawaii!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Football drives the bus!

Subscribers drive the bus.

One thing we need to root for is Syracuse and BCU to turn into athletic wastelands, and honestly, Syracuse University starting to have enrollment issues wouldn't hurt either. The ACCN getting dumped from basic cable in New York is a good start.

Reaction Score
What a patently absurd statement. The freaking Jets are more "in the blood of CT residents" than UConn basketball? Sure thing.

Up until the last few years, you could probably make the argument for Yankees/Sox being above UConn hoop... but no way for the NFL.
You are correct about Uconn’s fanbase
UConn has had a significant following in basketball since the Hugh Greer era
industrial Connecticut ,when i was younger probably had the best sports fans in the country.UConn came to the attention of this 11 year old sports junkie when they upset Holy Cross (a then national power)on their home floor giving HC their first home lose in 47 games . That was a big deal as that team went on to win The NiT then an honor on par. with the 16 team NCAA. There is nothing like success to capture a state and win we certainly did . Taking the Yankee Conference 12 times in 13 year period from 1948-1060 appearing in 7 NCAA tourneys then a tournament of conference champions. We again won 6 more from 1963-1970. When the Yankee Conference lost its auto-bid we briefly were in a loose group of Eastern Independents call the ECAC winning 2 titles in the mid !970 and their auto-bid
That was the precursor
to the Big East and A10
So when we joined the Big East we already had a huge fan base and a history of winning that appealed to Dave Gavitt
The guys in my group by1979 all were long time UConn fans and despite less than great teams the crowds were pretty large
Calhoun took the job for three reasons
!. He didn’t want to leave New England
2. He was well aware of Connecticuts huge fanbase and Connecticuts passion for the sport.
3. The Big East had become the premier basketball league in the country filled with iconic coaches . He wanted to play against the best.
Prior to the Big East being a UConn fan was mainly a radio thing with channel 8 ’s few live broadcasts a big event.
The ESPN rise of basketball broadcasts mirrored the Big East rise . then suddenly the reality of TV broadcasts of every game was beyond our wildest dreams

Historical Footnote
Why UConn didn't”t become a National Power earlier is rooted in the demise of Eastern basketball in general
Our first foe in the infamous 1950 NCAA tourney was single digit lose to St Johns at Msg and their great coach
Frank McGuire . After the scandals top eastern coaches departed for less soiled pastures like North Carolina as did the top talent . Using a lineup that a few years earlier would have looked like the great CCNY teams he brought that hick school its first NC beating Wilt and Kansas in three OT’s
in a game i listened to with a pillow muffling the sound as it ended well past my bed time.
Without an understanding of the bleak years of staying local you really can’t understand Dave Gavitt’s dream of returning Eastern Basketball to its rightful position on the national stage.
So no offense to Iowa but other than Nebraska we got the best fans in the country.

Reaction Score
Subscribers drive the bus.

One thing we need to root for is Syracuse and BCU to turn into athletic wastelands, and honestly, Syracuse University starting to have enrollment issues wouldn't hurt either. The ACCN getting dumped from basic cable in New York is a good start.
Funny you say that. I’m in central MA with charter. We’re currently not getting ESPN due to negotiations. Just noticed this morning. Says Disney tried to up the rates but Charter has my back and is looking out for my best interest.

I’m sure my bill will be lower for the missing channels too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom