Where does UConn go from here? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Where does UConn go from here?

Reaction Score
I cut the chord too a few years ago but moved to Spectrum streaming. That isn't much different IMO. It might be cheaper ($60 a month) and more customized to my preferences but I am still at the mercy of Spectrum for accessing ESPN as I learned last week. I thought about moving to Hula+ but that benefits Disney as well and they should be punished. There is no easy decision and will only get worse. I relied on an antennae for a few months last year which did not go well. I was able to access most network channels except for CBS but reception was not always very good. Watching games in a sports bar is not cheap either.
I started a trial for YouTube TV yesterday. It’s pretty good so far.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
The CFB multiview on Saturdays is the best thing going.
They had that for the NCAAs also! I really liked the option.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
We are all Charter fans on this board.

If I were Disney, I would cave because all Disney would be providing is streaming subscriptions to those already paying for Disney and ESPN through Charter. Or cut a deal with a discounted subscription. Why wouldn't Disney do that for a few years just to build subscriber numbers?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
We are all Charter fans on this board.

If I were Disney, I would cave because all Disney would be providing is streaming subscriptions to those already paying for Disney and ESPN through Charter. Or cut a deal with a discounted subscription. Why wouldn't Disney do that for a few years just to build subscriber numbers?

Disney has all the leverage so there’s no reason to cave.

Fans wanna watch their teams. They want their games. That is a fundamental truth.

Sending them to Fubo or YouTube TV is absolutely fine for Disney- they get the same amount of money from those subscribers. It’s actually even better than sending them to Hulu+Live TV because you can still upsell them on D+/E+ which are included with Hulu+Live TV

For Charter, the long play is that broadband is a more profitable business. I get it on their side. Their CEO has wanted to get out of TV for a while.

Reaction Score
Disney has all the leverage so there’s no reason to cave.

Fans wanna watch their teams. They want their games. That is a fundamental truth.

Sending them to Fubo or YouTube TV is absolutely fine for Disney- they get the same amount of money from those subscribers. It’s actually even better than sending them to Hulu+Live TV because you can still upsell them on D+/E+ which are included with Hulu+Live TV

For Charter, the long play is that broadband is a more profitable business. I get it on their side. Their CEO has wanted to get out of TV for a while.
Disney does not have all the leverage. If charter plays hardball, and the ceo seems inclined to, they can totally disrupt sports media rights. This is very bad for espn and for Disney. The days of huge carriage fees and dictating terms are over.

Reaction Score
We should offer the same as SMU to get into the ACC. We will make up the money through ticket sales, parking fees, major bowl games, merchandise sales, etc.
The conference payouts are going to be more than we make. They will be getting initially around 10 million a year if you look at this year and that only increases. And then you factor in playing well known teams every game and it goes up from there.

zls44

Reaction Score
Disney does not have all the leverage. If charter plays hardball, and the ceo seems inclined to, they can totally disrupt sports media rights. This is very bad for espn and for Disney. The days of huge carriage fees and dictating terms are over.

Charter has already agreed to the ESPN rate fee hike. This dispute is not about that. Charter wants free ESPN+ and Disney+.

If it’s bad for Disney, it’s worse for everyone else.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Charter has already agreed to the ESPN rate fee hike. This dispute is not about that. Charter wants free ESPN+ and Disney+.

I trust Charter's interpretation of the dispute more than I trust yours.

But please, tell us more about how great ESPN has been for UConn over the last 20 years.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The conference payouts are going to be more than we make. They will be getting initially around 10 million a year if you look at this year and that only increases. And then you factor in playing well known teams every game and it goes up from there.

Was SMU lying when they said they would make about the same as they would have made in the AAC?

Reaction Score
Was SMU lying when they said they would make about the same as they would have made in the AAC?
No, AAC Teams got between 8 and 9 million. If SMU was in the ACC this year, that would have been 9 million this year and scheduled to rise as time goes on. This will be more than UConn is making. Then you factor in playing more well known teams, for which some people on here says it does not make a difference, but I am pretty sure reality says different.

Reaction Score

wrong, right, incredibly wrong.

Reaction Score
We were this close to getting a Big XII invite and now we're doing shunned like am Amish kid with a nipple ring (Dennis Mille). Blow it all up.

Reaction Score

DEUTSCHE: “.. a permanent end to Charter's distribution of Disney's channels would be a more negative outcome for $DIS than for $CHTR.. We expect Disney to concede its (aggressive) demand for increased carriage minimums and potentially its demand for a longer duration agreement.”

the only logical reasons for there not being a renewal are that either $CHTR truly wants to be out of the video distribution business .. or the two sides irrationally dig into positions .. if the whole ecosystem is under such pressure that major cable operators are considering exiting .. it is logical .. that future negotiations could be more challenging.”

Last edited:

zls44

Reaction Score
DEUTSCHE: “.. a permanent end to Charter's distribution of Disney's channels would be a more negative outcome for $DIS than for $CHTR.. We expect Disney to concede its (aggressive) demand for increased carriage minimums and potentially its demand for a longer duration agreement.”

the only logical reasons for there not being a renewal are that either $CHTR truly wants to be out of the video distribution business .. or the two sides irrationally dig into positions .. if the whole ecosystem is under such pressure that major cable operators are considering exiting .. it is logical .. that future negotiations could be more challenging.”

And if Charter had any actual leverage today, I would agree. They don’t today. In a few years? Maybe. But not today!

Hope you had a great ESPN day btw. Loved seeing the Gov come out to support.

Last edited:

zls44

Reaction Score
wrong, right, incredibly wrong.

Reported by multiple reporters, my man. They’ve already agreed on the Disney network fee price. Sorry this ruins your narrative!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Charter has 2 billion dollars a year in ESPN revenue or 15% of ESPN revenue as leverage.

Charter has $2 billion of ESPN revenue that is incredibly profitable for ESPN and generates almost no income for Charter since video is approaching breakeven for cable. Who has the leverage?

Reaction Score
Reported by multiple reporters, my man. They’ve already agreed on the Disney network fee price. Sorry this ruins your narrative!
Then it must be true! If it was agreed on, the blackout would be over. Maybe the fee includes major concessions for Disney and espn plus that iger clearly isn’t willing to do. Why? Because it destroys the traditional model that inflated espn to levels they will never seen again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom