Where does this end up? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Where does this end up?

Reaction Score

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Well yeah, they don't want to share that money anymore. They want it all.
They aren't going to change the NCAA tournament. Football will just break off.

Reaction Score
They aren't going to change the NCAA tournament. Football will just break off.

No, they'll do for basketball it as soon as they think they can make more money from the venture

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised if the conferences get so big that it ends up like an AFL + NFL situation and that we get regional divisions back.
I was thinking the the exact same thing when I hear about mega conferences of 20 teams. There are only so many games that can be scheduled for football and basketball that eventually these mega conferences will have regional divisions within them. These regional divisions will be similar, not exactly the same, as the old conferences that were ripped apart.

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
Interesting piece by Dennis Dodd.

Third Party Funding

"So, at some point in the conversation, the question was posed: What would it take to "buy" a conference, invest at the base level of college athletics itself? After some noodling, they agreed: $1 billion."

If it takes $1b for a conference - $10b for all of college football. Build structure to allow all 100 teams to compete & payout revenue on performance (championships, wins, tv/streaming revenue).

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Probably don't need a new thread on this but I've always thought it would end up with 2 huge power conferences who break away in football. In the meantime I see it going to 3 power conferences with the Big 12+ being the power weakling. I think they'll all get to 20 in that period of time before the Big-whatever and SEC decide to pick off the rest of the properties they deem valuable. If UConn is left out in the next few days who will Yormark and the Big 12 brass add to get to 20? Hawaii, UNLV, Cal-State Fullerton, Harvey Mudd? The Banana Slugs? The Lumberjacks?

All of this is idiotic and will devalue college sports in the long run but I still can't see them being dumb enough to decide to take a flamethrower to the tournament and college basketball, there's just way too many valuable college basketball programs.

New threads are better than page 523 of an old one.

What I see happening….

The Big Ten and SEC get to 20-22 schools. (Mid-2030s)

The Big 12, still alive, also gets there. If they go to 16 now, figure something like SU, Pitt, UL, Duke, maybe VaTech, NC State or whoever was left after the Big Ten/SEC eat. There’s likely a catch-all conference that assembles the misfit toys in something that would make the AAC look like a bus league.

Prior to that, the power conferences, even the dying ones, break away from the NCAA because money is king and the power conferences no longer want to dribble money down to Bates and Assumption and whoever else gets a pittance from the NCAA.

Mid-conferences like the BE, A10, etc., are left in an AFL/NFL relationship with the power conferences in hoop.

Reaction Score
It cracks me up when people say this is the end of this, this is UConn's last chance. They were saying that years ago, said it again, and then said it again. This is just the beginning. If there is no intervention the two big conferences will keep taking and will kick out all the schools they don't find valuable. It's nuts that the schools haven't banded together to put an end to this. Let this continue on and college sports are totally done for.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom