Where does this end up? | The Boneyard

Where does this end up?

Reaction Score
Probably don't need a new thread on this but I've always thought it would end up with 2 huge power conferences who break away in football. In the meantime I see it going to 3 power conferences with the Big 12+ being the power weakling. I think they'll all get to 20 in that period of time before the Big-whatever and SEC decide to pick off the rest of the properties they deem valuable. If UConn is left out in the next few days who will Yormark and the Big 12 brass add to get to 20? Hawaii, UNLV, Cal-State Fullerton, Harvey Mudd? The Banana Slugs? The Lumberjacks?

All of this is idiotic and will devalue college sports in the long run but I still can't see them being dumb enough to decide to take a flamethrower to the tournament and college basketball, there's just way too many valuable college basketball programs.

Reaction Score
All of this is idiotic and will devalue college sports in the long run but I still can't see them being dumb enough to decide to take a flamethrower to the tournament and college basketball, there's just way too many valuable college basketball programs.
Are you really so sure about this? If they thing they can make one extra dime for themselves they'll blow it up.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I don't think there will be a break from the NCAA (they would potentially open a can of worms they don't want to deal if if they did break away).

They will further stratify the conferences and attempt to ensure that the lions share of revenues remain with the top two conferences.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Medium/Near Term. Four conferences of 16-20. B1G, SEC, ACC and Big XII (rebranded).

Long Term: Football breaks away allowing the big names inside those conferences to cut bait with the weak links in their conferences. This is the key to why I don't buy the "two conferences to rule them all" argument. Both those conferences have teams that they need to get rid of to get to that. You have to dump Rutgers, Maryland, Northwestern, Purdue, Miss State, Vandy, Missouri and others and replace them with better football programs.

They aren't just going to keep growing because the media companies aren't paying that kind of money to that many schools. So the only way to get there is to start dumping the riff raff and that requires that football separate from the NCAA. It's like LIV golf in that way.

Reaction Score
Are you really so sure about this? If they thing they can make one extra dime for themselves they'll blow it up.
Exactly. Consider how much money the tourney makes. Now consider how much of that goes directly to the NCAA to pay their bills. Eventually the schools will say wait a minute we're barely following NCAA rules now as it is, and we can set up our own tournament, so what are we paying the NCAA $800 million a year for?

Reaction Score
It is all a game for now. Each of the parts will always try to knife the other parts in the back. Eventually the Big10 will try to strip away other members. The real long term is probably 30-40 years where the eventually the top 30 programs whittle themselves into the final object.

Reaction Score
Exactly. Consider how much money the tourney makes. Now consider how much of that goes directly to the NCAA to pay their bills. Eventually the schools will say wait a minute we're barely following NCAA rules now as it is, and we can set up our own tournament, so what are we paying the NCAA $800 million a year for?
Why has it been the responsibility of men's college basketball paying for all the non-revenue sports this entire time?

Reaction Score
Unless there is a course correction I believe we will end up with two Power Conferences with 20 teams each.

I say there could be a course correction because this has reached a ridiculous late stage where you have the possibility of Oregon playing in Piscataway for the last game of the season instead of Oregon State.

On the bright side I don’t think life is over for those left out. There are so many networks with so many channels and so many streaming services that there will be a demand for live college sports.

So I think the money will be worthwhile and there is still no reason to pull the plug and give up.

I don’t know much of anything about Basketball but I know enough that under current conditions Big East schools are spending the most of any schools in the Basketball P6 or something like that.

Are resident Cincy Fan calls it Church League but it’s still a fine conference to be part of. And for as long as UConn remains a member our interests are aligned and we are getting more than what we need from.

So while it might suck to fall through Rush again, it’s not the end of the world at all. We are scrappy and resourceful. In the words of late great Logan Roy “We’re Pirates”. And the lame ECU Pirates too.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Why has it been the responsibility of men's college basketball paying for all the non-revenue sports this entire time?
Because there was no college football playoff. There were independent Bowl games outside of the NCAA. That should actually change, but if the NCAA pushes it, it risks a break-away.

Reaction Score
Unless there is a course correction I believe we will end up with two Power Conferences with 20 teams each.

I say there could be a course correction because this has reached a ridiculous late stage where you have the possibility of Oregon playing in Piscataway for the last game of the season instead of Oregon State.

On the bright side I don’t think life is over for those left out. There are so many networks with so many channels and so many streaming services that there will be a demand for live college sports.

So I think the money will be worthwhile and there is still no reason to pull the plug and give up.

I don’t know much of anything about Basketball but I know enough that under current conditions Big East schools are spending the most of any schools in the Basketball P6 or something like that.

Are resident Cincy Fan calls it Church League but it’s still a fine conference to be part of. And for as long as UConn remains a member our interests are aligned and we are getting more than what we need from.

So while it might suck to fall through Rush again, it’s not the end of the world at all. We are scrappy and resourceful. In the words of late great Logan Roy “We’re Pirates”. And the lame ECU Pirates too.
Big East will be the best basketball conference in the country this upcoming season and UConn should be the favorites to win it all IMO. So we have that going for us.

Reaction Score
Where does this end up?

Wherever ESPN and FOX/NBC/CBS want it to end up.

And Apple and YouTube and whoever else.

There will be more parties bidding for this stuff in the future.

Reaction Score

I wouldn't be surprised if the conferences get so big that it ends up like an AFL + NFL situation and that we get regional divisions back.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised if the conferences get so big that it ends up like an AFL + NFL situation and that we get regional divisions back.

How lame would that be?

Reaction Score
Its as simple as they don't want to fund the rest of the NCAA. Once you accept that it is All about the money this isn't hard to understand. With the vast majority of the best basketball brands included with what is already the P5, they're going to gamble they can stage their version of March Mayhem without the Gonzagas and Villanovas and since they will be paying players they will get most of the best players anyway.

Reaction Score
Its as simple as they don't want to fund the rest of the NCAA. Once you accept that it is All about the money this isn't hard to understand. With the vast majority of the best basketball brands included with what is already the P5, they're going to gamble they can stage their version of March Mayhem without the Gonzagas and Villanovas and since they will be paying players they will get most of the best players anyway.

The law of diminishing returns

Reaction Score
Because there was no college football playoff. There were independent Bowl games outside of the NCAA. That should actually change, but if the NCAA pushes it, it risks a break-away.
It won't change because this is the power dynamic

Reaction Score
Big East will be the best basketball conference in the country this upcoming season and UConn should be the favorites to win it all IMO. So we have that going for us.
And an 8-win football team hopefully.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I know I end up on the men’s bb forum as part of the contingent supporting the move.

After reading so many fatalistic posts in this forum I am well prepared to suffer through the angst that will appear on the men’s bb forum when the invite announcement is made.

Reaction Score
They don't fund the rest of the NCAA, men's basketball does.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom