What Does UConn Do Now? | The Boneyard

What Does UConn Do Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What CAN UConn do now? Seriously, is there anything that UConn can do now? Does anyone know what the process is? Do we make another presentation to the Big 10 and ACC? Hire a media consultant to crunch the numbers again? Push the content for the BTN angle? Or do we just have to sit waiting and hoping for the call.

There is too much momentum now to lose it.

I wish Jeff Jacobs would do an article about this with some facts as to what UConn is doing.

Reaction Score
Market basketball, hope for the best in football. Then market football if football becomes good.

Reaction Score
What CAN UConn do now? Seriously, is there anything that UConn can do now? Does anyone know what the process is? Do we make another presentation to the Big 10 and ACC? Hire a media consultant to crunch the numbers again? Push the content for the BTN angle? Or do we just have to sit waiting and hoping for the call.

There is too much momentum now to lose it.

I wish Jeff Jacobs would do an article about this with some facts as to what UConn is doing.

The school is on 3-5 year plan to upgrade in more areas than athletics. Winning the championships is a nioce tactical victory that supports the overall strategy.

Reaction Score
Do whatever it takes to get an 8 or 9 win season in football. Can't have another 3-9 football season or all that momentum will be gone :(

Reaction Score
Win baby win and then sell those wins while trying to make as many friends as possible (yes, I am referring to you, Mr. Blumenthal)

Reaction Score
Blummy should make peace. Really it is in the hands of the fanbase. No Scott Haney excuses or saying it is easier and less expensive on tv. Finally, if attendance is lagging, the school has to get creative. Tickets tounderprivileged kids. We need sell outs. If the stadium game is not moving, make marketing arrangements with NYC businesses for offers. Or give a free ticket to a crap XL game next year. That would boost the numbers for the ny game and a hoops game that draws 8000

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Fans need to rally behind football. Buy tickets to football games. Plan on going to Yankee Stadium in November. The team plays so much better with a packed and rowdy Rent. Year 2 of the 3-5 Year B1G Plan is the year to boost football's profile to the level it was pre-Pasqualoni.

I'd say that even if the team struggles, if attendance goes way up, it would definitely help the cause. Football doesn't have to be as good as Alabama. It just needs to get back to being as good as UCONN was before Hathaway's destruction.

Reaction Score
Three National Titles in just two months. I say keep on keepin on! The rest will take patience and time.

Reaction Score
For the Yankee stadium game, and I know this may sound harsh, but I would tell students that if you don't go to it you become last in line for basketball tickets, and if you do go, you move up the chain no matter what your seniority is.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
So the mantra has been what can you bring to the B1G to increase revenue for all B1G members, which makes sense obviously.

Upstater has SNY data showing how quickly it went on basic cable in CT and how quickly the rates jumped up.

Keeping in mind that people may have it already with their current package, but if SNY got that bump, I would imagine BTN would too.

Bringing in CT and potentially getting a higher share in NYC seem like logical and likely outcomes.

Why can't UConn offer to be a, say a partial revenue receiving member up front and get phased up to full after say 15 years ( totally arbitrary year).

If in two years when the B1G renegotiates Tier 1, we have maintained our status in hoops, Diaco turns around the football culture and we improve academics we'll at least give ourselves a shot.. We're too good overall to be left out to dry like this.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Its not necessarily what can UConn do now, but what can we do to support UConn now. The answer is simple. Show up to the spring game Saturday (3 PM, Rentschler Field) and BUY FOOTBALL TICKETS. Bring your friends, bring your children, bring your colleagues, do whatever you can to help get butts in seats. Thats why people are upset about the basketball parade being Sunday and not Saturday because that is a huge opportunity to get 10/15k at our spring game and get people who are more basketball inclined/oriented around the football program.

The BYU game is a huge opportunity for us. Friday night, prime time, ESPN, under the lights. Gotta have a blue out and make the rent look like it belongs in the B1G.

Reaction Score
Sell out the Rent and win in football. Keep playing up our presence in NYC and being NY's/New England's college.
Hard to believe we have so little competition.

Reaction Score
The BYU game is a huge opportunity for us. Friday night, prime time, ESPN, under the lights. Gotta have a blue out and make the rent look like it belongs in the B1G.

Go with white. UConn's blue doesn't pop out on television.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I have mixed feelings on the parade, but I'll let the guys killing one another over the route, dates, & times on the Men's board have their say.

With that said, I doubt you find many football fans that aren't men's/women/both hoops fans. Right? Start leveraging that with this Dual ship. Celebrate it. Ride the wave. Think outside the box.

I've seen schools give away bacon to increase attendance. Pork for god sakes. We have bacon alright. Two Conn.

Marketing needs to spend some money or secure some sponsors. Do an Ollie bobble head, Geno, former football players. Collectors pins, one for each game, you want the set.

We have 13 Championship banners and rings. Why not make mini fan replicas? Do giveaways to attract more fans. Put butts in seats. NFL stadiums have those foam hats that look like title rings. Make those. Celebrate the school & help the one major sport that needs a lift.

It's kinda like a wing man at a bar. Let basketball be on your side. Must capitalize on this!

Reaction Score
Exactly what I'm saying Gem. UCONN has a valuable asset in basketball, and it has to transition some of that interest to football. Your stadium is small enough to where getting 15-20,000 students at a game should get you a decent atmosphere when you factor in alumni/other fans into the mix.

Reaction Score
For the Yankee stadium game, and I know this may sound harsh, but I would tell students that if you don't go to it you become last in line for basketball tickets, and if you do go, you move up the chain no matter what your seniority is.

That'll bring the Lawyers. Might want to re-think that one.

Reaction Score
How does that bring lawyers? Kids who support all the sports should be rewarded for doing so.

Reaction Score
Fill the Rent.

Travel to YS for Army.

Go to a bowl and attend in numbers.

This is on the fans too. Hoops teams did everything and more than could be asked.

Reaction Score
What would help to get us into P5 conference is book a 5 year football deal at Yankee Stadium.
Book 1-1 games with Ohio St, Michigan St., Wisconsin, Michigan and Iowa.
These games would be a road games for us and we would not lose a home game. I think it would be very appealing, what team would say no to playing in New York City at Yankee Stadium.
I would love to have a few basketball games played at MSG too.

Just a thought...

Reaction Score
Its not necessarily what can UConn do now, but what can we do to support UConn now. The answer is simple. Show up to the spring game Saturday (3 PM, Rentschler Field) and BUY FOOTBALL TICKETS. Bring your friends, bring your children, bring your colleagues, do whatever you can to help get butts in seats. Thats why people are upset about the basketball parade being Sunday and not Saturday because that is a huge opportunity to get 10/15k at our spring game and get people who are more basketball inclined/oriented around the football program.

I agree with everything here and what other posters said. I am a season ticket holder and hope to be forever. Many here say it is all about the eyeballs - which is why the B1G took Rutgers so it should be more important to get very good TV ratings even more than selling out every game ? I do not know our TV ratings are but I know a lot of people who rarely go to games but do watch on TV. I also think these conferences cannot believe that this tiny state can be this good - is it a size thing ? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom