What Does UConn Do Now? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

What Does UConn Do Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ok...then just lose the label..."basketball school"...Only Cuse seems to also carry that label....

What label does Rutgers carry that got them into the Big Ten? Surely nothing associated with winning.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Ok...then just lose the label..."basketball school"...Only Cuse seems to also carry that label....

Um, sure.

Good plan - thanks.

Reaction Score
billybud said:

What label does Pitt carry? They had 3500 people show up for their spring game. They are choke artists in basketball

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If you're going to insult UCONN the way you think you are, at least know that the fruit isn't a basketball school. They're a paper tiger that beats up on the likes of Niagara, Canisius, and SUNY-Oneota to inflate their early season record then gets flushed down the toilet when it counts year after year. Please. Calling Syrexcuse a basketball school is an insult to basketball schools.

Reaction Score
No one denies that UConn is a great basketball school....

But, it may take more then being a great basketball school....

If UConn can put together a football team that can dominate the AAC, beat their bowl opponents most years, and build a national brand and following (similar to basketball), they would be an automatic.

UConn is THE best basketball school.

In football, we're just as good as many of the schools who found spots, and who already had spots. Being the best in basketball should be all it takes because by freezing us out, you just prove that you couldn't beat us on the court.

Reaction Score
Am I correct in interpreting that guy's argument as saying our extreme success in basketball is actually a detriment, as it makes our football look bad/insignificant by comparison?

Reaction Score
What label does Rutgers carry that got them into the Big Ten? Surely nothing associated with winning.
You commented with only that to offer? Educate yourself then come back and educate us snarky!

Reaction Score
You commented with only that to offer? Educate yourself then come back and educate us snarky!

RU guest, my point was that winning isn't necessarily needed in order to make it to a P5. If you can't handle that you shouldn't hang out on the UConn site. I have zero problem with RU. Snarky - no. Just tired from all the travel to Dallas, partying and parades lately.

Reaction Score
RU guest, my point was that winning isn't necessarily needed in order to make it to a P5. If you can't handle that you shouldn't hang out on the UConn site. I have zero problem with RU. Snarky - no. Just tired from all the travel to Dallas, partying and parades lately.
Yes FourRings I know what you mean....these ACC guys have me sensitive with that southern bias thing they have going on....I also was exhausted with spending time in hospital all weekend with ill mother-inlaw...talk about real life?? Thanks for the friendly reply.

Reaction Score
Yes FourRings I know what you mean....these ACC guys have me sensitive with that southern bias thing they have going on....I also was exhausted with spending time in hospital all weekend with ill mother-inlaw...talk about real life?? Thanks for the friendly reply.

Looking forward to (someday) conference games together. Hope your family is healthy.

Reaction Score
UConn football is as good as any second tier P5 conference team. The one difference is those programs have all hit a ceiling, but with more money UConn can still grow.

Reaction Score
What does UConn do? WIN! Continue to WIN and WIN some more.

That is all.

Reaction Score
Still think half the problem is that people believe your success is only because of Calhoun and Geno. They're waiting for a crash that may never come and when/if it does come (and the longer you're in the AAC the higher the chance of this happening), they'll all be there to point and say 'SEE? You guys are nothing without your coaches!" as if every other program in America isn't basically based on the talent of their coach.

Reaction Score
Still think half the problem is that people believe your success is only because of Calhoun and Geno. They're waiting for a crash that may never come and when/if it does come (and the longer you're in the AAC the higher the chance of this happening), they'll all be there to point and say 'SEE? You guys are nothing without your coaches!" as if every other program in America isn't basically based on the talent of their coach.

While I appreciate some of your observations, I must say I resent being told by the less accomplished what we must do to improve our chances. I will happily play the part of the "broken record". If Rutgers, Syracuse, Maryland, Pitt, Louisville and even BC found homes in P-5 conferences then surely UConn belongs and should find a home.

Reaction Score
I'm not actually 'giving' advice with that post, just pointing out the potential self fulfilling prophecy the people in power have set up. If they continue down the path of making it impossible for schools outside the P5 to compete then eventually after years of not being in the P5 UCONN won't be able to compete.

And then they'll say 'see? that's why you weren't invited, we knew you'd be bad eventually'.

Reaction Score
Less accomplished in basketball, not football. The B1G really took RU for NJ eyes and NJ recruiting. So, I think his point was just fine, a really good one in fact. UConn has only a limited amount of time to turn things around in this conference. A decade at best.

Maybe the NY DMA factored re: Rutgers, but IMO nothing else justifies excluding UConn and opening the door for all listed above. When Syracuse was taken in 2011, they had lost to us 5 years in a row in football. Other than some perceived benefit from viewership perspective, I don't see it. Louisville getting the nod over us was for myriad reasons that have been hashed and rehashed ad nauseam so I won't go into those again. Granted a bad football situation developed at precisely the wrong time, but this should harm us more? Finally, I have to disagree re: timing. I think UConn has to be out of this mess in well less than a decade. Otherwise, we run the risk of being relegated to the minor leagues in athletics.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
thatguyed said:
What does UConn do? WIN! Continue to WIN and WIN some more.

That is all.

I think it's, "Win, win, win, no matter what, what, what!"

Reaction Score
UConn football in this conference will be as good as UConn football in the BE. The quality of football is the same (if not better) in the AAC. UConn wasn't beating out many of the P5s for recruits back then (and it still managed to send 25+ players to the NFL). It's in the same position.

As for the athletic department, the money doesn't start becoming a huge problem until the exit fees/penalties run out. Remember, UConn makes an extra $5m a year from that ($25m over 5 years, I think it is). You add $2m to that and maybe an eventual bump to say $3 or $4m, and you are $8 or $9m behind the ACC. if you can stomach that for awhile, you can last the remaining 5 years.

I noticed last month Herbst had to go to the legislature because of a $46mm shortfall at UConn. Right now no legislator running for re-election would deny UConn. But, year to year it will be difficult. A B1G payout of $27-30mm would go a long way towards bridging gaps. The $2mm AAC payout we get now for football and basketball now is about half of what Providence (PROVIDENCE?) gets for basketball only in the BE. We can live on the alimony for a little while, but everything else suffers in the meantime. Competition, prestige, recruiting, fan interest etc. There is no sugar coating this. "Reality bites"!

Please read below:

How Massive Conference Payouts Are Changing The Face Of College Sports

The Big Ten will soon distribute upwards of $30 million to each member school.
When we named the Texas Longhorns college football’s most valuable team last week, we highlighted the unprecedented revenue generated by the team. Last year Texas football got $35 million from tickets and another $30 million from contributions, making up 60% of the team’s $109 million in record income. But another piece of that total was a share of revenue distributed by the Big 12 to its member schools.

Television money is the most obvious source of conference-level income. Within the last few years the ACC, Big 12 and Pac-12 all made headlines by signing massive, multi-billion dollar deals. The ACC’s recent contract with ESPN ESPN pays around $17 million per school annually, and that’s on the low end. And part of the reason why the Big Ten is distributing so much to member schools is that it’s co-owner of the Big Ten Network, which alone kicks off dividends of nearly $10 million per school. Conference-specific networks in the Pac-12 and SEC may soon be just as lucrative.
And it’s not just massive TV deals driving up those numbers, though they’re the biggest part. The major conferences receive an automatic BCS payout each year, and this year’s check is worth some $24 million. That’s up $2 million from 2010-11. On top of that are BCS at-large bids, worth another $6 million, and non-BCS bowls. The SEC, ACC and Big Ten are each collecting over $15 million from non-BCS bowls alone this year, and even the Pac-12, which had a down season, will get more than $11 million. Those conference bowl payouts are described in more detail here.
The other major driver of conference revenue is basketball, in the form of NCAA tournament payouts. That revenue distribution model rewards conferences for their tournament performance over a six-year rolling period. The financial details can be found here, but that essentially translates to another $20 million or so annually for basketball powers like the ACC and Big Ten. The Pac-12 and SEC get closer to $15 million per year. NCAA tournament payouts increase each year at a roughly 8% clip.
For athletic departments to prosper financially, they still need to sell tickets, collect alumni contributions and sign rich sponsorship contracts. But as conference distributions grow bigger and faster than ever before, athletic departments can rely more and more on their conferences for a stable income source. And who knows, as the nation’s top programs grow increasingly fruitful, they may even find some extra money to pay the athletes who have made it all possible.
Follow @ChrisSmith813

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99