Westbrook | Page 18 | The Boneyard

Westbrook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Assuming that most parties involved already knew where and when they are going to go to during this dead shut down period, Geno and staff will have a very challenging job to integrate the new players to the the team. I don't recall any other year when we have possibly 2 transfers and a rookie to the team. There is a thing pretty important called team chemistry.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Assuming that most parties involved already knew where and when they are going to go to during this dead shut down period, Geno and staff will have a very challenging job to integrate the new players to the the team. I don't recall any other year when we have possibly 2 transfers and a rookie to the team. There is a thing pretty important called team chemistry.
Before the transfer of Mikayla the UCONN roster would have only 8 returning players. Aubrey would have made it 9. UCONN was looking at adding quite a few players regardless. UCONN is also returning 3 starters and its 6th woman-ONO. Even with Westbrook UCONN would have to integrate 4 new players to the team next year. 4 new players is only slightly above an average recruiting class for UCONN over the past 4 years if you include the transfers into UCONN.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Before the transfer of Mikayla the UCONN roster would have only 8 returning players. Aubrey would have made it 9. UCONN was looking at adding quite a few players regardless. UCONN is also returning 3 starters and its 6th woman-ONO. Even with Westbrook UCONN would have to integrate 4 new players to the team next year. 4 new players is only slightly above an average recruiting class for UCONN over the past 4 years if you include the transfers into UCONN.

And the coaches have 8 people on scholarship to help with that.

Reaction Score

I was wrong about the visit but a recruit can call at any time

No. Recruits are NOT allowed to call this week. The NCAA definition of the "recruiting shutdown" period says that during this period:

"No form of recruiting [e.g., contacts, evaluations, official or unofficial visits, correspondence or making/receiving telephone calls] is permissible. "

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I wonder if calling to commit counts? As soon as they commit they are no longer a recruit.
Does anyone make call anymore? Aren't most commitments posted on social media now a days.

Reaction Score
Does anyone make call anymore? Aren't most commitments posted on social media now a days.

Normally the player has already told the coach prior to the social media post. Btw, note that this week's recruiting shutdown precludes not only phone calls but also texts, emails, etc.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Normally the player has already told the coach prior to the social media post. Btw, note that this week's recruiting shutdown precludes not only phone calls but also texts, emails, etc.
Already noted in my prior post. texts emails are considered "correspondence". I'm glad you reposted. I'm not sure why people are having such a hard time with this being a recruiting shutdown.

I'm not sure that's correct.
The NCAA definition states:
A recruiting shutdown is a period of time when no form of recruiting (e.g., contacts, evaluations, official or unofficial visits, correspondence or making or receiving telephone calls) is permissible.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Could the blackout period be intended to permit the recruited scholar athlete to prepare for final exams? Makes sense to me.
There are two blackout periods on the calendar yearly. The first one seems to correspond to the weeks which includes Mother's day since and many school have already completed exams and are closer to commencement. The second blackout week corresponds with preparation to return to school for the start of fall classes and is usually the 2 full week in August. As @stamfordhusky has already pointed out these breaks from ALL things recruiting were requested by the schools and approved by the NCAA.

Reaction Score
There are two blackout periods on the calendar yearly. The first one seems to correspond to the weeks which includes Mother's day since and many school have already completed exams and are closer to commencement. The second blackout week corresponds with preparation to return to school for the start of fall classes and is usually the 2 full week in August. As @stamfordhusky has already pointed out these breaks from ALL things recruiting were requested by the schools and approved by the NCAA.

Thanks for the reiteration of what Stamford Husky posted. It was not at issue, though, as it would certainly be in the students, schools and NCAA's best interests to permit uninterrupted exam preparation.
Coco, it is my understanding that exams for high school students are a little later than college schedules. Are you sure that many high school students "have already completed exams and are closer to commencement" by the week preceding Mother's Day? That is not my experience.
If you definitively know if the blackout is not study-related, kindly share.
Thanks

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thanks for the reiteration of what Stamford Husky posted. It was not at issue, though, as it would certainly be in the in the students, schools and NCAA's best interests to permit uninterrupted exam preparation.
Coco, it is my understanding that exams for high school students are a little later than college schedules. Are you sure that many high school students "have already completed exams and are closer to commencement" by the week preceding Mother's Day? That is not my experience.
If you definitively know if the blackout is not study-related, kindly share.
Thanks

The original reason for the proposal was that many coaches were finding it hard to take a real vacation - at least a relaxing one. They were always worried that while they were relaxing, the competition would be in constant contact with the players they were recruiting. By carving out two periods when no-one can have any contact of any kind with any recruits, it gives them two brief periods to take a breather from what had become a 365 day job for many of them.

The two weeks they selected worked well, as there are no live events, games, camps, etc going on at those times - and their current players are not on campus, at least not to do any official workouts.

Reaction Score
The original reason for the proposal was that many coaches were finding it hard to take a real vacation - at least a relaxing one. They were always worried that while they were relaxing, the competition would be in constant contact with the players they were recruiting. By carving out two periods when no-one can have any contact of any kind with any recruits, it gives them two brief periods to take a breather from what had become a 365 day job for many of them.

The two weeks they selected worked well, as there are no live events, games, camps, etc going on at those times - and their current players are not on campus, at least not to do any official workouts.

Thanks Stamford Husky!
(I used to live up off High Ridge Road and am now in Florida)

Reaction Score
Actually a player is a recruit until he/she signs.

Actually, they are considered a recruit in many ways by the NCAA until they attend their 1st class. I learned this 1st hand when Swin Cash came her freshman year. Her step-father & I were high school classmates in the Pgh area who remain in touch. When she came to campus to start classes, her family was going to stay over night with us rather than staying in a hotel before checking into her dorm the next day. In checking with the Compliance Office, I was told that since I was an employee at UConn, this would interpreted as an impermissible benefit since she was considered a recruit until she attended her 1st class. The UConn Compliance Office may have just being cautious, but I was told not have this happen.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I bet you frequent the Dairy Queen!

In the way back I use to have an office near @Tonyc's, but I never felt the lure of the Queen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom