Westbrook | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Westbrook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
95%? You are being generous. It will never be repeated by any other school, although it can be exceeded by Uconn next year.
I didn't mean to say that 95% of the teams in women's basketball would be satisfied to win TWELVE CONSECUTIVE FINAL FOURS! It was to say that 95% of the teams in women's basketball would be thrilled to make ONE FINAL FOUR. Maybe I phrased it poorly ........

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
In the 2017-2018 season, we had just lost WNBA player Saniya Chong. It was widely viewed as a rebuilding year. Result: 36-1 lost in OT in the FF.

No way that was viewed as a rebuilding year. Chong was a minor loss. Added transfer Stevens and what was regarded as the best recruiting class in the nation including the #1 player, returned 4 starters, and Chong was replaced by a soph Dangerfield who was a more talented player. That team was the overwhelming favorite to win the Championship that year.

Reaction Score
Sure. However, just a reminder that some posters actually do have access to credible sources.

Absolutely. And our Pacific visitors have typically been pretty knowledgeable.

But as last fall showed, be wary of newcomers with a small # of posts who proclaim that player X is coming to UConn.

Reaction Score
In the 2016-2017 season, we had just lost AAs Stewart, Tuck and Jefferson who went 1, 2, 3 in the WNBA draft. It was widely viewed as a rebuilding year. Result: 36-1 lost in OT in the FF.

In the 2017-2018 season, we had just lost WNBA player Saniya Chong. It was widely viewed as a rebuilding year. Result: 36-1 lost in OT in the FF.

In the 2018-2019 season, we had just lost WNBA players Gabby Williams, Kia Nurse and Azura Stevens. It was widely viewed as a rebuilding year. Result: 35-3 lost in the FF.

In the 2019-2020 season, we will lose WNBA players Napheesa Collier and Katie Lou Samuelson . It will be widely viewed as a rebuilding year. I wonder what the result will be?
Not sure if people believed 2017-2018 with Azure was a rebuilding year, given what they knew they had after the 2016-2017 year.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
All I can say is...is that we had a west coast poster telling us a recruit was coming a few months ago and that didnt work out so for me I will wait and see. I would think if Westbrook was coming I would know. I know thats comes across as a bold statement to some but not to others. What Im hoping for is a really big BIG but havent heard anything yet.

Reaction Score
In the 2016-2017 season, we had just lost AAs Stewart, Tuck and Jefferson who went 1, 2, 3 in the WNBA draft. It was widely viewed as a rebuilding year. Result: 36-1 lost in OT in the FF.

In the 2018-2019 season, we had just lost WNBA players Gabby Williams, Kia Nurse and Azura Stevens. It was widely viewed as a rebuilding year. Result: 35-3 lost in the FF.

In the 2019-2020 season, we will lose WNBA players Napheesa Collier and Katie Lou Samuelson . It will be widely viewed as a rebuilding year. I wonder what the result will be?
Seeing a pattern... we keep losing in FF.

Reaction Score
Is it possible you can post the video in the recruiting thread.
Not from instagram, i can't. Instagram doesn't allow sharing of other posts. Her profile is public, so google her name and add instagram, and you'll see it right there. :) i hope this helps.

Reaction Score
"I agree that all too many people here on the Boneyard and elsewhere have somewhat unrealistic expectations and that is really tough on the kids and the coaching staff but to say that as long as the kids try hard and play hard, that is enough is also quite unrealistic ..... it almost sounds like the philosophy that we ought to award every team that competes a trophy . I would never accept that philosophy ....."

No, not what I am saying at all. You can only do the best you are physically and mentally capable of doing. If that gets you a championship that's great. If you best is overshadowed by someone else's best than you don't get the trophy.

Maybe it is the engineer in me, but the old saw of "giving 110%" makes my cringe. It is not possible to give more that 100% as 100% is one and represents the totality of what is available. Sure, you may hear of mechanical equipment being run at "110% of capacity" but that is because a mechanical system is designed to run at less than full capacity for most of its operating time as a safety factor against premature failure.

Reaction Score
All I can say is...is that we had a west coast poster telling us a recruit was coming a few months ago and that didnt work out so for me I will wait and see. I would think if Westbrook was coming I would know. I know thats comes across as a bold statement to some but not to others. What Im hoping for is a really big BIG but havent heard anything yet.
Yeah, but Geno in seattle...

MTC

Reaction Score
What a bunch of dastardly people who would allow themselves to get excited about a prospective team coached by the legendary, Hall of Fame coach ..... this after only 12 consecutive Final Four appearances that 95% of the women's basketball teams will never attain .....
Confidence is high if we can get Guster and Edwards but I see Geno bringing in even more.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
True, but wouldn’t Evina be in Knoxville attending school? I believe most schools are still in session.
I know it’s hard to keep up with everything on the BY. Last week I related that Westbrook was done with classes last week, was planning to spend a few days with a friend and was then heading back to OR, according to someone who appeared to know her and was posting on VolNation.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Not sure if it fits the time line of the NCAA but if I were Evina, I would announce on Mothers Day since she is tight with her mom.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not sure if it fits the time line of the NCAA but if I were Evina, I would announce on Mothers Day since she is tight with her mom.
I have also speculated that Geno might have planned a visit to OR to meet with Evina & Eva Westbrook to make sure Mom was comfortable with her daughter’s decision to transfer to UConn, should that prove to be her ultimate decision.

Reaction Score
Was thinking the same thing. We're swapping out a senior #1 and a #6 who were the highest scoring teammates in history with versatile games for two unproven players of lower caliber and experience (until proven otherwise). We should be so fortunate to just get back to the regional final game.

I read all the time about "replacing" players. There have been many many AA's and several POY's leave UConn. Nobody "replaced" them. And it's a guaranteed failure to try to do so. Players leave and other players arrive. Could Stewart replace Maya? Nope. Not a chance. Different skill set. Did Maya replace DT? Nope. Two entirely different players.

If you want to measure freshman players by whether they have the same skill set as one who just graduated you are insuring that they won't measure up. Look at Stewart in January of her freshman year. She didn't look like she should even start, never mind be 4 time MOP of the final four.

We're swapping out a senior #1 and a #6 who were the highest scoring teammates in history with versatile games for two unproven players of lower caliber and experience

I'd wager that after KLS & NC's freshman seasons there were fans here like you are today, convinced that Stewart, Tuck and Jefferson could not be replaced by the 2 you now tout as the best 2 scoring team mates ever.

Reaction Score
No way that was viewed as a rebuilding year. Chong was a minor loss. Added transfer Stevens and what was regarded as the best recruiting class in the nation including the #1 player, returned 4 starters, and Chong was replaced by a soph Dangerfield who was a more talented player. That team was the overwhelming favorite to win the Championship that year.

Correct. They were actually a heavy favorite.

A. Here was SI's preseason analysis in October 2017:

1. Connecticut: The Huskies add the nation’s top recruit (6' 1" wing Megan Walker) along with 6' 6" Duke transfer Azurá Stevens, who’s been compared to Kevin Durant both for the way she plays and for joining a superteam. UConn will not lose in 2017–18.

B. Also got 25 of 32 first place votes in the preseason USAToday Coaches' Poll.

C. And #1 by a wide margin in the preseason AP poll.

Reaction Score
I have also speculated that Geno might have planned a visit to OR to meet with Evina & Eva Westbrook to make sure Mom was comfortable with her daughter’s decision to transfer to UConn, should that prove to be her ultimate decision.

We are in a recruiting shutdown "dead period". Geno can not contact Westbrook until 5/13 at the earliest.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
We are in a recruiting shutdown "dead period". Geno can not contact Westbrook until 5/13 at the earliest.
That works. Westbrook will just be back home this week. Geno can pop in next week. Summer session starts June 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom