Welcome Kaitlyn! | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Welcome Kaitlyn!

Reaction Score
I think this commitment answers some questions on where Geno's head is at:

1. Paige will not be the "on paper" PG but rather off the ball and probably playing the 3 or 4 depending on how the front court players develop or if we get one in the portal.

2. The press will be on! And I can't wait. They were doing so well with the pressing and trapping this year until Aubrey went down. Guard loading tells me he wants to press...

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

1. Paige will not be the "on paper" PG but rather off the ball and probably playing the 3 or 4 depending on how the front court players develop or if we get one in the portal.

2. The press will be on! And I can't wait. They were doing so well with the pressing and trapping this year until Aubrey went down. Guard loading tells me he wants to press...

He's not going to press. This is always a dream of UConn fans but never comes to fruition. He really only pressed in the game against turnover prone Providence.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Allie Ziebell, Azzi, & Sarah Stong are the best shooters on the team. They are lights out. Paige is just below them. They will be an awesome 3 point shooting team. They will beat teams by 40 regularly this year. ..They just need to rebound now
When it comes to "clutch" shooting I'm not sure Paige is below anybody. Chen has shown she is very clutch too. She will acclimate quickly because she is very smart and play more minutes than people think. KK can still be the primary point for 2 full seasons afterwards.

Reaction Score

I hope you're right on both points. One caution I have about Kaitlyn is that on Princeton she was a ball-dominant pg as opposed to a pass-first pg. That worked at Princeton, but I don't think it will work quite as well at UConn. There will be more scoring options she'll need to manage, though the offensive system is in many respects quite similar to what she already knows. But this probably only means she'll need a few weeks to find her sea legs on a more potent offense than she's used to.

And we know first hand that she knows how to run a pressing defense.

Reaction Score
I hope you're right on both points. One caution I have about Kaitlyn is that on Princeton she was a ball-dominant pg as opposed to a pass-first pg. That worked at Princeton, but I don't think it will work quite as well at UConn. There will be more scoring options she'll need to manage, though the offensive system is in many respects quite similar to what she already knows. But this probably only means she'll need a few weeks to find her sea legs on a more potent offense than she's used to.

And we know first hand that she knows how to run a pressing defense.
I think her score first mentality was probably more about who was around her. She was the best scoring option at Princeton so she had to do it. I think she'll readily adapt. I bet her scoring efficiency goes up at UConn when she isn't forced to take a so so shot anymore.

Reaction Score
He's not going to press. This is always a dream of UConn fans but never comes to fruition. He really only pressed in the game against turnover prone Providence.
In 1998, he employed the press to start the season because his team had to perform well right away on the tougher ooc schedule with 5 talented incomers (TASSK) that he needed to blend with his veterans.

2024 is similar to 1998 with the JMASK incoming class but with better guard play.

Reaction Score
Welcome Kaitlyn! What an amazing addition to the team. Uconn just got an experienced PG who knows how to lead and play in key pressure moments. Kaitlyn and Paige will be an amazing duo feeding off each other.

It never hurts to have more talented guards. We have no idea how any of the freshmen will turn out, but Kaitlyn is as much a guarantee success as we will get from the portal.

This is the year Uconn has to win #12. We got all the pieces except for one dominate post player.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
In 1998, he employed the press to start the season because his team had to perform well right away on the tougher ooc schedule with 5 talented incomers (TASSK) that he needed to blend with his veterans.

2024 is similar to 1998 with the JMASK incoming class but with better guard play.

I don't think the situations are similar, and considering it was 26 years ago that would seem to confirm my contention. He's got a slew of players returning from major time missed and injuries. They have enough to do getting healthy and up-to-speed. I don't see him using his time to teach a press.

Reaction Score
Yeah ok ur right....so if they accomplish the first 3 but not the win the NC...thn they've achieved the ultimate goal set for the team from the first practice of the year? Remember...WE ARE UCONN!!
not Ball St. or Tennessee
Not the ultimate Goal but- Goals. My point to you was that there are other “Goals.” There is a video in which Geno is being interviewed this year as an example. I cannot post this due to copywrite issues but you can see on youtube – below in bold and underlined is the title. And at 1:06 of the Video the interviewer said she spoke with Nika and she mentioned Team Goals and then the interviewer said to Geno "There are two goals you guys reached - win the Big East Regular Season Title and The Tournament . . ." Then she asks "What is next on that list for UCONN?" - It's a list of Goals UCONN has. They are not stepping stones. They are an acknowledged list. In addition, if UCONN loses the The Big East or Tourney they can still win the NCAA Tourney. So, they are not stepping stones. They are separate.

Geno then goes on to say in the video "Some years when you don't win the Nat'l Championship its incredibly disappointing. Then he further goes on to say "The Goal is to compete for a National Championship every year." - That is another acknowledged Goal. In order to "compete" for a National Title it means you are in the Final Four. That's a reached Goal.

He further goes onto say/ask "does his team look like a Nation al Championship Team?" He answers by saying "I don't know."
That is not someone who is telling us that this year it was "title or bust." Otherwise he wouldn't be asking this question because he has/had no expectation.

Geno Auriemma on winning another Big East Championship, looking ahead to the NCAA tournament | SNY

There is a Sports Illustraded Article as well in which the Headline is "Geno Auriemma Blasts Critics of UConn’s National Championship Drought"

This article in which can be googled (again I'm not sure if I could link it due to copywrite issues) -- which has direct quotes from Geno. He is not saying it's "championship or bust." Anyone can google the article. Matter of fact, Geno is pretty upset for those that think all the time it's title or bust.

And you can find this on youtube too- in which his last sentences were "Stop talking about us when we don't win a National Championship. We might not win a National Championship every year, but we're right there when it's usually being decided, and that's all that really matters.

**This is why when UCONN wins the Reg Season they also celebrate.
It's why when they win the B.E. Tourney they celebrate.
It's why when they win the E8 game to go to FF they celebrate.
And it's why with each of these goals they hit Geno is often saying how proud he is of his team the last serval years.
=================
**So as stated previously by getting Kaitlyn, UCONN has a greater chance to reach their goals - and not just the champiosnhip. They can be disappointed for not winning it all- but they also have other Goals. Unless he comes out and says "It's Title or bust, who are we to argue with his expecations when we say "We are UCONN?" He is UCONN--> and he knows his team. :)

Last edited:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I don't think the situations are similar, and considering it was 26 years ago that would seem to confirm my contention. He's got a slew of players returning from major time missed and injuries. They have enough to do getting healthy and up-to-speed. I don't see him using his time to teach a press.
Geno did a lot of pressing when UConn had KLS, Gabby, Kia, and Phessa, in both the OOC games and in the AAC. I remember when they played at Nevada for Gabby's homecoming game that they pressed almost the whole first two quarters, even with Katie Lou being on the bench for the whole game due to her injury at the beginning of the season.

Reaction Score
Agree, and still hoping for that big. One thing the exceptional guard depth does, however, is offer an alternative to the traditional two big lineup. Without an addition, I am hoping Jana and Sarah are the real deal at the 5 and 4 respectively, and I think they will be, but both of course are unproven and inexperienced.

My main concern is when those two are not in the game. I am not nearly as confident in Ayanna or Ice, at least based on what they have shown thus far. When Aubrey returns we will have a good bench option at the 4, but if Ayanna and Ice are not getting it done, using Caroline, Morgan, Paige or Q at the 4 is a definite possibility.

We obviously will have some very good guards that will have trouble getting enough playing time, and the bigger ones can be used some upfront if the more traditional big backups are not producing. It's not the best option but a pretty decent one when you remember we played most of the season with Paige as a 4. Ice and Ayanna can get playing time if they produce, but if they don't small ball can return with some pretty good options. I still hope for two good bigs most of the time though.
I predict we will rarely see both of those two on the bench at the same time. My guess is that Jana will be relieved by Ice and/or Yanna while Sarah will be relieved by Ice, Caroline, Morgan, Aubrey and Q! Geno will likely sub in such a ay as to have one of those two on the floor as much as possible. This of course, will become less critical as the younger/injured players improve and become more comfortable in their roles. The possible signing of another big from the portal will naturally affect this rotation as well!

You know, everyone talks about our guard depth but just look at our wing/small forward depth! We have Paige, Aubrey, Ice, Sarah, Morgan, Caroline, and Q, all of whom are ether 6’1” and above or (in Paige’s case) think they are! Furthermore, each and every one of those, range from capable to outstanding in their ability to shoot from outside and rebound!

This team has talented depth beyond anything I’ve ever seen! Yes, it would be nice to have a backup beyond Ice and Yanna for Jana but we’ll just have to wait and see. I just pray that all of our players can get (and remain) healthy for the next few years and that all of us here on the Boneyard can stay healthy as well so we can enjoy what is shaping up to be a very special team!

Reaction Score
Let's ask KK's mother.
I think KK’s mom trusts Geno and knows hat her (extremely talented and important) daughter is not going to get left out in the cold. She has a unique skill set that essentially gives her immunity from the fear of being stuck on the bench. In addition to her basketball skills, her status as the resident speed demon, the only one on this team, basically assures that she will see a lot of floor time!

Reaction Score
Geno did a lot of pressing when UConn had KLS, Gabby, Kia, and Phessa, in both the OOC games and in the AAC. I remember when they played at Nevada for Gabby's homecoming game that they pressed almost the whole first two quarters, even with Katie Lou being on the bench for the whole game due to her injury at the beginning of the season.
Yeah, I think we are likely to see some major score differentials next season! Surely, he will be forced to call off the press (assuming we do press) in the second half of many games? I suppose he’ll work on man and maybe some zone in those games? I wish I could hear his thoughts on that. Ultimately, I suppose he will do whatever will allow his players on the floor to continue to play hard while at the same time reducing their scoring output as seamlessly as possible.

Reaction Score
Allie Ziebell, Azzi, & Sarah Stong are the best shooters on the team. They are lights out. Paige is just below them. They will be an awesome 3 point shooting team. They will beat teams by 40 regularly this year. ..They just need to rebound now
News flash! As long as Paige is on this team, she is the best shooter. I would bet on her against all others on this team and I’m pretty confident I would be going home with money in my pocket! We do have sveral great shooters on this roster but my money’s always on Paige! I think you simply got the order wrong! Those three and possibly Caroline are just below Paige. (To varying degrees) IMO, the shooting rankings would be Paige, Azzi, Allie, Caroline/Sarah/Ashlynn, Kaitlyn, Q, KK, Morgan, Ice, Aubrey, Jana, and Yanna. I have no idea what the respective percentages say but that would be my guess.

Reaction Score
Imho, they are similar (see below). See also DEPup’s post above (#153). But since you have made the same statement several times in this thread, let’s agree to disagree.

Thread 'MAJRS / JMASK vs TASSK First Year'

Reaction Score
So Paige is just below 3 high school players who haven't played a minute of college ball in their lives? suuuuuuuure. Let's not get carried away here, yeah?

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Let's ask KK's mother.
KK had a great season last year for a rookie. But, she did play as a freshman at times, and as UConn's point guard of the future, she will benefit by playing with and behind not only Paige, but also Chen. KK will get plenty of court time, as Azzi will probably be on a minutes restriction, Caroline the same, and of course, our two new freshmen will probably play limited minutes like Shade and KK should have had last year. KK and Ashlynn showed last year that they can compete at this level, and I'm sure Geno will use that experience to his advantage and use them often and at critical times in the game. KK's mom shouldn't worry, as KK will flourish again this year, but maybe with the addition of a NC trophy she can dance around. She will not be wasted.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Welcome Kaitlyn! What an amazing addition to the team. Uconn just got an experienced PG who knows how to lead and play in key pressure moments. Kaitlyn and Paige will be an amazing duo feeding off each other.

It never hurts to have more talented guards. We have no idea how any of the freshmen will turn out, but Kaitlyn is as much a guarantee success as we will get from the portal.

This is the year Uconn has to win #12. We got all the pieces except for one dominate post player.
Not to mention that she played 3 years under Carla, so she already knows the UConn system.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I'm going to make this plain and simple. Too many dynamics going on, and I expect that all summer. The bottom line is that the roster is still the same, same players, same positives and negatives, same coaches. (Missing two big players, but we will overcome.) What we gained was another point guard that may posse the same experience of running a team as Paige, as Princeton ran the same system that UConn has. No teaching is involved, as we can just play like we were ready to go last March. The change is the rotation, but unlike most years, Geno knows what he has, and that is a more experienced team with so many options. I think the time to gel as a team will take less time than in the past, with the returning injured and starters that made it to the F4. We are stacked, and now we will see how good Geno really is with a full roster. When was the last time he was able to do this? This may finally get us the NC we have been denied the last 7 years. Go Huskies, this is it!!

Reaction Score
Let's ask KK's mother.
With Nika, KK thrived last year. With Kaitlyn which allows Geno to recreate last year’s offense with more bigs and bodies, KK will thrive as well. Plus add the press which requires more bodies where KK will excel.

Player development happens in Geno’s practices which then translates to games which Geno considers extended practices.

With Kaitlyn, Geno now has 10 really talented practice players in November with Paige and Kaitlyn being the only players with more than 1 year of play. Think of how rigorous, efficient and far-reaching those practices will be.

Plus Kaitlyn has only one year of eligibility.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom