Welcome Kaitlyn! | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Welcome Kaitlyn!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
With Nika, KK thrived last year. With Kaitlyn which allows Geno to recreate last year’s offense with more bigs and bodies, KK will thrive as well. Plus add the press which requires more bodies where KK will excel.

Player development happens in Geno’s practices which then translates to games which Geno considers extended practices.

With Kaitlyn, Geno now has 10 really talented practice players in November with Paige and Kaitlyn being the only players with more than 1 year of play. Think of how rigorous, efficient and far-reaching those practices will be.

Plus Kaitlyn has only one year of eligibility.
Kaitlyn is not as big or physical as Nika. But she is just as good at running an offense, a relentless defender and she is better at every level in her ability to score the basketball. In fact, after Paige, Kaitlyn will be the Husky most likely to take over the game in crunch time, giving UConn 2 players who can beat you by getting their own shot whenever they need to.

Reaction Score
Kaitlyn is not as big or physical as Nika. But she is just as good at running an offense, a relentless defender and she is better at every level in her ability to score the basketball. In fact, after Paige, Kaitlyn will be the Husky most likely to take over the game in crunch time, giving UConn 2 players who can beat you by getting their own shot whenever they need to.
This feels right, except maybe two points.
  • In one offensive category, Nika was distinctly better: 3pt shooting.
  • I like her toughness and willingness to get a bucket in crunch time. But I expect Azzi will also outshine her in this category.
But my nitpicks aside, I agree with your hopes for Kaitlyn. What you say seems really right. She looks to be one more steady hand that a young and battered team could really use.

Reaction Score
  • I like her toughness and willingness to get a bucket in crunch time. But I expect Azzi will also outshine her in this category.
But my nitpicks aside, I agree with your hopes for Kaitlyn. What you say seems really right. She looks to be one more steady hand that a young and battered team could really use.
Lots of strengths, few weaknesses, but most important is that she is comes in knowing the system.

Reaction Score
With Kaitlyn, Geno now has 10 really talented practice players in November with Paige and Kaitlyn being the only players with more than 1 year of play. Think of how rigorous, efficient and far-reaching those practices will be.
Excellent point. Kaitlyn is who KK will be scrimmaging against in practice. I hope they bond over this and have the time of their lives.

And Kaitlyn is sure to realize that KK is the future of the team. Her job is not to displace KK but to support her and take the pressure off in the close games. And lest we forget, as experienced as Kaitlyn is, KK is the one with the final four experience. I expect we’ll see them perform more as a one-two punch than rivals.

Reaction Score
Excellent point. Kaitlyn is who KK will be scrimmaging against in practice. I hope they bond over this and have the time of their lives.

And Kaitlyn is sure to realize that KK is the future of the team. Her job is not to displace KK but to support her and take the pressure off in the close games. And lest we forget, as experienced as Kaitlyn is, KK is the one with the final four experience. I expect we’ll see them perform more as a one-two punch than rivals.
Yes, KK (and her mother) should welcome the year to continue to improve while scrimmaging with Kaitlyn. Kelis is coming next year, so the competition will continue at the point. I would be psyched to see Morgan running the point at times.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Lou committed before Paige and Azzi were hurt. Geno started recruiting her during the Final Four in Paige’s freshman year

Yes, but UConn was still short on guards. That is why Ines was recruited. If UConn had had the number of guards they have now there would have been no need to recruit Ines.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
On 3 pt shooting, Nika’s 3’s were typically wide open shots, where she had time to set her feet, line up her shot and let it go. Chen was option 1 at Princeton. Many of Chen’s 3’s were contested shots, requiring a quick release. With all the other scoring options at UConn, I fully expect Chen’s 3-pt shooting to improve significantly.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I think that if Azzi is completely healthy, she will be able to create her own shot.

Reaction Score
One of the best things about adding Kaitlyn is that we should be able to rotate our back court players in such a way as to always have some experience out there with the underclassmen, and also to have some fresh legs even at the end of the game. (Not so much in the front court, but that's another thread.)
Also, almost no risk of losing a critical Point Guard position player to fouls!! Not to mention
the dreaded "concussion protocol"!!

Reaction Score
On 3 pt shooting, Nika’s 3’s were typically wide open shots, where she had time to set her feet, line up her shot and let it go. Chen was option 1 at Princeton. Many of Chen’s 3’s were contested shots, requiring a quick release. With all the other scoring options at UConn, I fully expect Chen’s 3-pt shooting to improve significantly.
What you get with Kaitlyn is another player that can take over the game when games get tight. She is another floor general and bucket getter like Paige. She will make Paige's job much easier. She can also defend and lead. You can never have too many players with kind of mentality and experience. She will be great role model for KK preparing her for the future.

Reaction Score
Not questioning Geno or the staff (well sometimes I do) but as of now the team's 2 quick fouls or an (The I word) to Jana from being an extremely small team with Ice as backup. Yeah they made it to the Final Four but thts never the goal for the team and you now tht. Neither Lou or Dorka had at least 4 or 5 others at their position behind them, both were desperately needed, would've been sooo nice to see Lou and Paige play together, I'm not greedy coach G... one Beers enuff. As far as questioning, it's OK to question and 2nd guess now and then, after all ...we aren't communist.
I see your point, and agree with you. But, but, but…… Ms. Raegan Beers has to want to play for UConn, at the Basketball Capital of the World! She has the option of playing somewhere else, but if she‘s willing to accept the challenges, and signs with UConn, then the changes of winning NC12 will be vastly improved!

PS: I am greedy, and would like UConn to win the NC every year (an impossible task, excluding Stewie, Mo, Morgan, and the gang). Also, I don’t consume alcoholic beverages, I’m willing to have this one Beers for a couple of seasons on the Huskies’ roster!

Reaction Score
Yes, KK (and her mother) should welcome the year to continue to improve while scrimmaging with Kaitlyn. Kelis is coming next year, so the competition will continue at the point. I would be psyched to see Morgan running the point at times.
Can you explain how KK’s mom is involved? This is the only social media platform I use, so unless something is posted here, I remain clueless about it.

Reaction Score
Can you explain how KK’s mom is involved? This is the only social media platform I use, so unless something is posted here, I remain clueless about it.
I think this is meant humorously as a reference to how some moms have interfered in their daughters' careers at other schools. There's been no suggestion that Mrs. Arnold is as protective of her daughter's minutes as, say, Mrs. Betts seems to have been.

Reaction Score
Yes, but UConn was still short on guards. That is why Ines was recruited. If UConn had had the number of guards they have now there would have been no need to recruit Ines.
Speaking about one of our favorites, is there any news on her portal status or possible interests?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I am amazed. Not that she committed, but we went for her. Oh well, what do I know.
I suspect that she will have the equivalent of Hassan Diarra's role on there men's team. 6th man, lockdown defense with opportunistic offense.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

I also expect Kaitlyn's A:TO ratio to improve. Pass the ball to Paige, Azzi, Sara, et al.

Reaction Score
Is this an indication that geno isn’t getting Raegan beers? Does Chen take the last available scholarship?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Is this an indication that geno isn’t getting Raegan beers? Does Chen take the last available scholarship?
There is still another scholarship available and Beers has not yet made her decision, 8 days after her visit to OK. Although it appears as if the BY has become more enamored with Janiah Barker for that last scholarship.

Reaction Score
I don't agree with your statement around the shooting comparison to Nika even if the data says it. I love Nika but she was a reluctant shooter and only took the shots she really wanted. Chen was the scorer on her team and had to do more volume shooting.... I look for her efficiency to rise with better players around her.

The thing I like about Chen when I watched her was she had a sense of urgency and would go hunt a shot when she needed to for her team. This is something that I believe is the weakest part of Azzi's game. She often wants the perfect shot or she won't take it....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom