Welcome Kaitlyn! | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Welcome Kaitlyn!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I suspect that she will have the equivalent of Hassan Diarra's role on there men's team. 6th man, lockdown defense with opportunistic offense.
I wonder if there has been a chat about not starting coming in?

Reaction Score
There is still another scholarship available and Beers has not yet made her decision, 8 days after her visit to OK. Although it appears as if the BY has become more enamored with Janiah Barker for that last scholarship.

I think theres a better chance of Stewie getting another year of eligibility than Janiah Barker coming to UConn. I’d gladly eat my own words if it happens.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Speaking about one of our favorites, is there any news on her portal status or possible interests?
I have not heard but I am very interested.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I wonder if there has been a chat about not starting coming in?
I'm sure the expectation is that best player starts, but that she will have to earn that distinction.

Reaction Score
I think theres a better chance of Stewie getting another year of eligibility than Janiah Barker coming to UConn. I’d gladly eat my own words if it happens.
You’re right and Auriemma would most likely agree with you if he had even heard about this stuff. It’s amusing what some people will take and run with having nothing to base it on.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
One piece falls into place. Welcome to UConn Ms. Chen!! So excited to have her. Let's celebrate with some Beers! :D

Now we just need a big post player.
Well my post didn't age well LOL.

Maybe I should have said "let's celebrate and read some Book(s)"...

Reaction Score
Well my post didn't age well LOL.

Maybe I should have said "let's celebrate and read some Book(s)"...
I feel the same way, but it’s okay. Geno and the other coaches will get the next player who perfectly matches his program’s goals. I am wishing Raegan Beers all the best!!

Reaction Score
I don't see how Chen moves the needle for UConn. I don't like the fact that playing time for UConn's prized Freshman class will be reduced. Seems quite short sighted to me.

Having another guard who can facilitate and create their own shot (plus having experience) is never a bad thing.

The good thing is that playing time was probably not guaranteed for the Freshmen or Chen. If they buy into the program and trust in their abilities, it’ll all work out.

South Carolina this season was a testament to that. With Geno as the lead, I believe all will work out in everyone’s favor.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I don't see how Chen moves the needle for UConn. I don't like the fact that playing time for UConn's prized Freshman class will be reduced. Seems quite short sighted to me.
Really? Chen is here for 1 year. Neither Cheli nor Ziebell are pure PG's like Chen is. Chen brings 4 years experience under the tutelage of Carla Berube, a former UConn great.

To me there is zero downside. Either Kaitlyn starts and KK comes off the bench, or KK starts and Kaitlyn comes off the bench. Chen takes zero PT away from Morgan or Allie. If anything, she probably takes PT away from Paige, who would play the 1 (or maybe Azzi when she comes back).

Either way, Chen is a huge upgrade over Ines (as much as I loved her), and while a far different PG than Nika, her experience and maturity will be awesome for the team.

Earlier it was discussed that if KK starts, there is no one to come off the bench for her if she gets into foul trouble etc. At that point, Paige would slide over and play the 1. The way it stands, there will be no need for that as Geno will have 2 terrific PG's to rotate in and out.

Reaction Score
Wonder what Q’s reactions or thoughts are?
BoneDog’s post succinctly provides a likely answer:

Post 22: Post in thread 'MAJRS / JMASK vs TASSK First Year'

From all accounts, the team is a closed-knit group. They all felt the downs and ups of the season, and reaching the final four after all that has to be rewarding. They are very aware that practice could have been better if they have a full practicing squad, which they didn’t.

With the addition of Kaitlyn, they now have full practicing squads in November (10 players, with two opposing point guards where Paige plays mostly off-ball) for rigorous practices. So now they don’t only have to hear Geno’s teachings but they can practice those teachings with repetitions. In effect, this coming year will be what last year’s practices should have been.

The experienced veterans one-year from surgeries is January 2025. Before their return, it is reasonable (see the rest of the thread above) to expect that Geno will play 5+4+. The injured veterans will have to prove that they are ready and able to crack or add to Geno’s rotation when they return.

Reaction Score
what is she going to be studying at uconn grad school?
Basketball 104 ; )
That and feelers for when Geno plans to retire, our beloved Princeton coach can fill the shoes. ;)

Reaction Score
If I remember correctly the sun does shine in April in Storrs! All are in agreement that we could do with a big to replace Edwards-- for a year or two. I bet the coaches have tried (and probably are still at it). The immediate ones have endless options, and for a host of reasons decided against(?) UCONN. None of the names populating these threads appear to be clueless, so I must respect their decisions. Now. we lost our PG-- and. let me strike right away: PB will play where ever she is needed; but, we do not have another PG who is qualified to run the show. Arnold was not the PG-- she had different tasks w/ PG-helping roles. I'm in shock at how fast and thorough the various schools have changed since March Madness. The addition of Chen is not (just) for insurance purposes, it is needed energy. I am optimistic about the coming health of the infirms, but I have questions. (Questions about a few key players and what they absolutely must improve upon this summer.)
So, there are three plusses for me. First, Uconn might help Chen to a draft status in a year; Second, she will provide the maturity and points needed for this team to compete; Lastly, I think if Chen does well it will shine on her coach at Princeton -- who I hope the Program will seriously consider when the time for a change comes about. Just saying.

Reaction Score
I'll have to chew on that...... Ok, a long shot...... In Geno, We Trust!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom