OT: - WBB The better team won | The Boneyard

OT: WBB The better team won

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
If you ignored the first quarter, it was a low-scoring nailbiter that Geno's team lost by a single point, 42-41.

However, the first quarter was simply a whupping like has never been experienced since Geno's been HC. 1985 Bears v Patriots level embarrassment.

Reaction Score
If you ignored the first quarter, it was a low-scoring nailbiter that Geno's team lost by a single point, 42-41.

However, the first quarter was simply a whupping like has never been experienced since Geno's been HC. 1985 Bears v Patriots level embarrassment.
Reminds me of that New Mexico coach from 1999. He said "If you take out that 17-0 run to start the game, we actually kept it close" (vs UConn). Or something to that effect. Ya, without that it'd be 22-20 NM at the half and 61-56....lol

Reaction Score
A simple way to put this for this side of the site: Imagine if the 2011 UConn team went on its tourney run, rode Kemba's clutchness, tough defense and pulling out those close hard-fought wins to all the way to the title game ... and then ran into the 2004 UConn team in the championship game.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Not much to say other than that. There were more than 60 teams in this tournament, and all but one had to lose.
As Geno said, they were the better team when they beat us in Atlantis and they were still the better team last night.

I believe we will be back with a vengeance next season.

Reaction Score
Tough ride for the senior class. Chrystin Williams and Olivia Nelson Ododa both never really hit their potential. They were both not physical players, and so when the games would get gritty they would fade. Too bad that is their legacy, but it is what it is.

This team desperately needed Dorka healthy to battle down low. They need a huge infusion of toughness and athleticism. Hopefully their incoming recruiting class has that covered.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Does Boston go pro early? If not she is going to be tough to beat next year too.
I think there’s some kind of age limit for the WNBA, I don’t think she could go even if she wanted to.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Does Boston go pro early? If not she is going to be tough to beat next year too.
Henderson won't be. Besides Amihere, their only real 3-pt threat. None of their other top 7 shot over 30%. And they lose a little defense with Saxton going. But yeah, Boston will be tough enough on her own.

SC's gonna be around the top for awhile. You'd like to see Geno pull off an NC with Buckets & Fudd, but he's down to two chances for that. And one of those will go through Boston again.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
They made a nice run, finally hitting a couple 3's, to cut it to six. But SC just turned it up a couple notches after the timeout and their D created turnovers and breaks. OP is right, the better, and stronger, team won. Congrats.

But it's interesting in that it's kinda like the men's team. Very few can create their own shot, or beat the D clean to the hoop off the dribble.

Reaction Score
I am not a fan of the womens team so I don't know much about them, but I did watch most of their tournament games...do their forwards just absolutely stink? They cannot jump more than 2 inches off the ground to grab a rebound, they can barely score, and seem like turnover machines. It was painful to watch how badly they were outmatched by the SC bigs

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
The front court battle felt like WNBA vs college. That was the difference.

Credit to this UConn team. They faced a lot of adversity throughout the year and still made it farther than the last 5 teams Geno had.

Need some major help in the frontcourt though if they want a title before Paige graduates.

Reaction Score
Williams and ONO having thoroughly mediocre careers after being the #1 and #5 recruits, respectively, has been a huge problem the last few seasons. Honestly, I feel like we're going to see addition by subtraction. Next year you start Paige, Azzi, Ducharme on the perimeter with Dorka and Edwards up front, and that's a much better squad than we've seen, especially if Azzi and Ducharme see a normal freshman-to-sophomore leap.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Williams and ONO having thoroughly mediocre careers after being the #1 and #5 recruits, respectively, has been a huge problem the last few seasons. Honestly, I feel like we're going to see addition by subtraction. Next year you start Paige, Azzi, Ducharme on the perimeter with Dorka and Edwards up front, and that's a much better squad than we've seen, especially if Azzi and Ducharme see a normal freshman-to-sophomore leap.
What did @aburks41 say that you didn't like? Your comments weren't much different in saying they had mediocre careers and it would be addition by subtraction. I think aburks41 was spot on. It was harsh, but that didn't make the comments wrong. ONO only performed against lesser competition and disappeared in every big game we had. She was a turnover machine early last night. Williams was also disappointing last night, not scoring until late in the 4th Q. I expected more from the seniors.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
What did @aburks41 say that you didn't like? Your comments weren't much different in saying they had mediocre careers and it would be addition by subtraction. I think aburks41 was spot on. It was harsh, but that didn't make the comments wrong. ONO only performed against lesser competition and disappeared in every big game we had. She was a turnover machine early last night. Williams was also disappointing last night, not scoring until late in the 4th Q. I expected more from the seniors.
"absolutely stink" is a far cry from "mediocre"

ONO played well enough vs. North Carolina State and Stanford to help get us to the National Championship game, where she apparently played with a groin injury she sustained on the Stanford game.

No doubt last night was very frustrating, but given the injuries they sustained this season (11 different starting lineups), it's pretty remarkable that they made it as far as they did.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I think there’s some kind of age limit for the WNBA, I don’t think she could go even if she wanted to.

College players can be paid now. I doubt an age limit in the wnba would stand up much longer.

Reaction Score
They can think what they want but I also think it's interesting that the womens game seems to be totally opposite of the mens in that dominant forwards are what win you championships. On the mens side it's dominant guard play that gets you there. The athleticism gap between a great forward and an average one in the womens game is too hard to overcome, like you literally cannot even grab a rebound lmao. That problem doesn't really exist in the mens game anymore

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
College players can be paid now. I doubt an age limit in the wnba would stand up much longer.
They can be paid for their name image and likeness, which for the most valuable players completely eclipses the money they would earn in a WNBA contract. Don’t get me wrong, their NIL would continue after turning pro but the number wouldn’t be particularly meaningful.

In an event, the rule is the rule until it’s changed. As far as I’m aware that’s not on deck for next season.

Reaction Score
I wasn’t especially disappointed last night only because I was prepared for it, because IMO they’ve been disappointing for 4 years.

Interesting stat: Paige Bueckers missed 16 games this season. I would’ve expected others to pick up the slack with more shots and more points. Williams played 29 games last season, averaged 16.3 ppg on 390 shots. This past season, she played 33 games, averaging 14.2 ppg on 405 shots. SMH.

Reaction Score
That doesn't sound nearly good enough in the post but I looked it up and they have two freshman posts coming in who are the #4 and #5 recruits in the country. They are both way bigger in terms of strength meat on the bones than the players they have now. One of them is really big and the other one easily dunks with two hands. They look like exactly what the team has been missing.

Reaction Score
They can be paid for their name image and likeness, which for the most valuable players completely eclipses the money they would earn in a WNBA contract. Don’t get me wrong, their NIL would continue after turning pro but the number wouldn’t be particularly meaningful.

In an event, the rule is the rule until it’s changed. As far as I’m aware that’s not on deck for next season.

There was an article recently (WaPo I think) that shows that the women do much better on NIL than MBB players - because they have a much higher level of engagement on social media. MBB players are too cool to post. This is for legit NIL - not just recruiting $ dressed up like NIL.

Reaction Score
Last night was just way too much to overcome. Think the Stanford game took a lot out of them, that was the later game while SC had an easy earlier game. Just beaten up with so many injuries, and Geno even looked sick at the FF. The elite 8 same thing a hard fought 2 OT game while SC cruised in theirs and an earlier game benefits of the top seed.

You still believed the magical run could have the perfect ending. Biggest problem was SC they weren’t gonna be denied of that championship last night.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom