OT: - WBB The better team won | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: WBB The better team won

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
There was an article recently (WaPo I think) that shows that the women do much better on NIL than MBB players - because they have a much higher level of engagement on social media. MBB players are too cool to post. This is for legit NIL - not just recruiting $ dressed up like NIL.

For the top women's players, it seems like NIL is an incentive to stay in school. I hear Paige makes a million or more. What would she need to do in the pros to get that kind of money? The WNBA supermax salary is only $221K.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
For the top women's players, it seems like NIL is an incentive to stay in school. I hear Paige makes a million or more. What would she need to do in the pros to get that kind of money? The WNBA supermax salary is only $221K.
She would need to play for a Russian team in the off-season.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I wasn’t especially disappointed last night only because I was prepared for it, because IMO they’ve been disappointing for 4 years.

Interesting stat: Paige Bueckers missed 16 games this season. I would’ve expected others to pick up the slack with more shots and more points. Williams played 29 games last season, averaged 16.3 ppg on 390 shots. This past season, she played 33 games, averaging 14.2 ppg on 405 shots. SMH.
You haven’t been watching closely, I guess. Little used reserve freshman Caroline Ducharme became a star when Paige, Azzi, and Nika were out. Geno was down to two guards, neither one of them a point guard by the way, when this freshman started scoring 20+ points a game.

Yeah, it’s disappointing Christyn Williams didn’t step up but it wasn’t lack of effort. She’s a slasher that was trying to win games as a jump shooter and the result was a disaster for her. Fortunately, Caroline stepped up.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
They can be paid for their name image and likeness, which for the most valuable players completely eclipses the money they would earn in a WNBA contract. Don’t get me wrong, their NIL would continue after turning pro but the number wouldn’t be particularly meaningful.

In an event, the rule is the rule until it’s changed. As far as I’m aware that’s not on deck for next season.
In the case of Paige and Azzi, UConn WBB has far more fans than any WNBA franchise does. So remaining connected to the program is almost certainly a bigger positive for NIL than going pro.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You haven’t been watching closely, I guess. Little used reserve freshman Caroline Ducharme became a star when Paige, Azzi, and Nika were out. Geno was down to two guards, neither one of them a point guard by the way, when this freshman started scoring 20+ points a game.

Yeah, it’s disappointing Christyn Williams didn’t step up but it wasn’t lack of effort. She’s a slasher that was trying to win games as a jump shooter and the result was a disaster for her. Fortunately, Caroline stepped up.
Caroline stepped up and is a better shooter. But the rebounding was still weak. This was a good team and I love how far they got, but it was lacking the jumping/rebounding ability of some of the best UConn teams. They survived that until South Carolina exposed it.

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score
Caroline stepped up and is a better shooter.
I don't care for CD's shot, but generally like the results. it's not Andre Jackson ugly, but it looks like a push shot and it feels like she rushes it. Azzi on the other hand has great form.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I don't care for CD's shot, but generally like the results. it's not Andre Jackson ugly, but it looks like a push shot and it feels like she rushes it. Azzi on the other hand has great form.
Caroline is one of the few players on the team that can create her own shot. Not against So Carolina - she is just a freshman and SC has a top 2 defense, but Geno relies on her when he needs points. She can drive, she can shoot a short range jumper, and she can shoot a three. Geno will buff up the rough spots since he says she’s the only one who listens to him

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
In the case of Paige and Azzi, UConn WBB has far more fans than any WNBA franchise does. So remaining connected to the program is almost certainly a bigger positive for NIL than going pro.
Possibly. I’m not sure how much of their fans are fans because of UConn basketball, or are fans because the two of them are entertaining on social media.

CL82

Reaction Score
I believe she makes just under 1 million right now, but she probably will eclipse the million dollar mark before the start of next season.

CL82

Reaction Score
Caroline is one of the few players on the team that can create her own shot. Not against So Carolina - she is just a freshman and SC has a top 2 defense, but Geno relies on her when he needs points. She can drive, she can shoot a short range jumper, and she can shoot a three. Geno will buff up the rough spots since he says she’s the only one who listens to him

Caroline, Paige, Azzi, Aaliyah and Dorka are a potent core group . I am curious to see how much Amari and Gabriel develop over the summer and are used next season. The two of them would add greatly to our depth.

I always have a healthy skepticism about how much freshman will contribute, but Brady and Patterson look impressive.

I have no idea what to expect from Aubrey.

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score

I watch all the women's games. I'm one of the "all things UConn" fans.
I thought the key to Ducharme was her switching from a pure spot up shooter to one who would drive to the hole and make some cuts. She played very well while Paige was out.

Reaction Score
as a parent of teenagers this made me laugh: we tend to forget that these players are teenagers or barely beyond that.

Reaction Score

Of course I remember when Caroline Ducharme suddenly became "the next man up," following Paige Bueckers' injury. But my point was that team leaders, especially seniors, should be doing the heavy lifting when there are challenges.

I'm sure Williams' failure to do so wasn't due to lack of effort, but if she's a slasher trying to win games as a jump shooter, why do her shot attempts per game decrease? [and how bad could her jump shot be if she's the top shooting guard in the country?] It's almost as if she's been content to just be a second (or third) option, behind Bueckers, Fudd, Ducharme, etc.

Reaction Score

Isn’t that a new avatar? Can I ask who you’re honoring?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Isn’t that a new avatar? Can I ask who you’re honoring?
Her name was Ida Wells, born a slave who worked to become educated and became the first female journalist. I’m a history buff and came across her biography recently.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom