Virginia Tech's Babcock talks ACC channel, fan experience, football ticket sales | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Virginia Tech's Babcock talks ACC channel, fan experience, football ticket sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've lived in Ann Arbor and upstate NY include WNY, and I grew up in the northeast before that.

WNY (specifically Buffalo) is so much more like the northeast than it is the Midwest. I just can't ever see how this argument is made. People in these parts of NY act as brash as people in Philly or New York City. There are a huge number of Italians here and Catholics. This is probably one of the most Catholic cities I've ever lived in (NYC, Boston, etc.).

In the midwest, people are really polite, punctual. They have their flaws of course, which I don't need to go into.

Clevelanders act like Northeasterners more than Midwesterners too. That said, I don't lump Buffalo as Mid-Atlantic as much as a Northern or Northeast city. There is a big difference between Buffalo and a place like Trenton. Much colder and harsher winters and hammered by lake effect snows off of Lake Erie. Same with a place like Bristol VA that is more associated with the Tennessee Valley than the Chesapeake Bay. I guess I look at this more geographically than culturally, but an argument can be made for both.

Reaction Score
Clevelanders act like Northeasterners more than Midwesterners too. That said, I don't lump Buffalo as Mid-Atlantic as much as a Northern or Northeast city. There is a big difference between Buffalo and a place like Trenton. Much colder and harsher winters and hammered by lake effect snows off of Lake Erie. Same with a place like Bristol VA that is more associated with the Tennessee Valley than the Chesapeake Bay. I guess I look at this more geographically than culturally, but an argument can be made for both.

South Buffalo gets hammered. But not the city. We get less snow and have more sun than many other places in the northeast. South of Buffalo = Lake effect, which rarely hits Buffao. Maybe once every 5 years.

Reaction Score
South Buffalo gets hammered. But not the city. We get less snow and have more sun than many other places in the northeast. South of Buffalo = Lake effect, which rarely hits Buffao. Maybe once every 5 years.
Makes sense when looking at a map. The winds go northwest to southeast across the lake and Buffalo is to the east. I guess Oswego gets hammered with lake effect versus a place like Watertown.

Reaction Score
Makes sense when looking at a map. The winds go northwest to southeast across the lake and Buffalo is to the east. I guess Oswego gets hammered with lake effect versus a place like Watertown.

Here are a couple good pictures when L.E. actually clipped the harbor and part of downtown. North side is in sunshine, no clouds. South side is behind a curtain of white. When you get hit, it's majestic. Last time here in the city was 2007. Brutal.

buffalo2.jpg

buffalo1.jpg

Reaction Score
Here are a couple good pictures when L.E. actually clipped the harbor and part of downtown. North side is in sunshine, no clouds. South side is behind a curtain of white. When you get hit, it's majestic. Last time here in the city was 2007. Brutal.

The Great Lakes has some very strange weather. I've heard some say there is "thunder fog" on the larger lakes in the summer. And the fog alone is impressive. Then there's lake effect snow where it's a white-out but 5 miles away it's sunny. Sorry to get off track on CR talk... but the weather up there fascinates me.

Reaction Score
upstater said:

That is really cool. I had no idea it looked like that.

Reaction Score
I've lived in Ann Arbor and upstate NY include WNY, and I grew up in the northeast before that.

WNY (specifically Buffalo) is so much more like the northeast than it is the Midwest. I just can't ever see how this argument is made. People in these parts of NY act as brash as people in Philly or New York City. There are a huge number of Italians here and Catholics. This is probably one of the most Catholic cities I've ever lived in (NYC, Boston, etc.).

In the midwest, people are really polite, punctual. They have their flaws of course, which I don't need to go into.
Are you trying to say Italians and Catholics are brash.
Not very PC

Reaction Score
Are you trying to say Italians and Catholics are brash.
Not very PC

I get to say things like that.

They are a lot more lively and direct than the midwesterners I've met.

Reaction Score

LOL I hope this is sarcasm. Have you ever been to Watertown? A foot of snow is considered a dusting.

Reaction Score
LOL I hope this is sarcasm. Have you ever been to Watertown? A foot of snow is considered a dusting.

Just in the summer. Not crazy enough to go there in the winter

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Appropriate thread with parts of Buffalo under up to 6 feet of snow. I remember getting back-to-back snow storms with 1 1/2 feet each time and we had nowhere to put the snow. 6 ft? Forget it.

Reaction Score

Interesting. But I have a different perspective.

If your sitting near Albany, you feel the greater cultural expanse of the region: NYC creeping up the Hudson River and feeding the culture through the Berkshires. Certainly Saratoga is largely NY & NE money & influence. Boston from the turnpike west to Stockbridge (the reverse James Taylor) feels sophisticated, educational rich & a different living. (Albany itself is different - too big (130,000 jobs) a government town (READ sheep). This is the core of what that guy was addressing.

Now, is there large swaths of ethnic communities & northeastern mix in Buffalo & Rochester & Syracuse (and Cleveland & Pittsburgh): sure. But, I've felt less tied to my NE roots as I travel west past - say Amsterdam - and it culturally feels different. Philadelphia & Baltimore are like the further north more than WNY.

IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman