Virginia Tech's Babcock talks ACC channel, fan experience, football ticket sales | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Virginia Tech's Babcock talks ACC channel, fan experience, football ticket sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Wake has been a far better opponent of late....Beaten FSU twice as much since 2000 then
UNC since 1992.

It was Wake's three straight wins over FSU that got the Boosters moving to oust Bobby. And, incidentally has built some pay back fire and interest)

I do suspect that we are now back into a dominant stage and Wake will not challenge...

If only UNC would play a little to their potential instead of waiting for Midnight Madness.

LOL or maybe Wake went back to being Wake. You know the kind of team that UConn scores 30 on in the first half.

Reaction Score
Must be a graduate of the Florida public school system or insane

Reaction Score
He may not think it matters but he is from the luddite old school. Those of us who understand the importance of a conference in terms of organization, pooling media, streamling costs, etc., have a completely different view. In fact, this kind of attitude doesn't engender trust. Then again, what does a yahoo care about that?

And Boston College should be as much pro-ACC as UNC is. We don't sponsor hockey but in most other sports they participate in we do.

Reaction Score
This is something that Warde Manual and everyone in UConn needs to focus on: FAN EXPERIENCE.

Losing fan base; not drawing like we did 15 years ago ... for what are now LEGACY programs has got to be a key priority going forward. This guy Babcock wants to get there.

Most ADs want to get there, but how they get there is the question. I like the guys energy, but I just hope he's as fiscally responsible as our last AD. Right now, he's been at my school 7 months and is spending $18.2 million over the next 7 years for a basketball coach... something this school has NEVER done. I hope he knows what he's doing.

Reaction Score
Virginia: UVA, VPI

Could lose either and they would still have Virginia. My guess is that UVA is more valuable, but VPI would still get the state of Virginia on a network and bring in a new market for the upcoming media deal.

I hate to use stereotypical labels on a school, but Tech is the typical Land Grant school that has the most living alumni in the state. UVa is a typical blue-blood flagship school. Both equally bring a TV market. But if both teams are good in the same sport at the same time, Tech fans come across as more passionate. Not sure how exciting it would be to see button collared-tie wearing fans interlocking elbows and swaying to Auld Land Syne on TV versus a stadium rocking a stadium or coliseum full of jumping, sweaty t-shirt wearing fans (FWIW... Cassell Coliseum hasn't rocked much as bball stinks most years). So maybe its all about a TV market, but a school's passion may be of interest as well. That model works very well for the SEC.

BTW... UVa is more valuable as an athletic department, but you see more orange and maroon than blue and orange anywhere in the state, barring the Charlottesville MSA.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I hate to use stereotypical labels on a school, but Tech is the typical Land Grant school that has the most living alumni in the state. UVa is a typical blue-blood flagship school. Both equally bring a TV market. But if both teams are good in the same sport at the same time, Tech fans come across as more passionate. Not sure how exciting it would be to see button collared-tie wearing fans interlocking elbows and swaying to Auld Land Syne on TV versus a stadium rocking a stadium or coliseum full of jumping, sweaty t-shirt wearing fans (FWIW... Cassell Coliseum hasn't rocked much as bball stinks most years). So maybe its all about a TV market, but a school's passion may be of interest as well. That model works very well for the SEC.

BTW... UVa is more valuable as an athletic department, but you see more orange and maroon than blue and orange anywhere in the state, barring the Charlottesville MSA.

No doubt that VPI is more vocal in their passion. I would rather have VPI than UVA (and hopefully The Big10 would see that as well) in my conference. I think the large alumni base fits very well with what The Big10 wants. The presidents want to rub elbows with the elite school (which UVA is), but VPI would be the AD's choice, IMO.

Many of the Big10 stadiums get rather crazy. Camp Randal Stadium in Madison Wisconsin is one big party and it get rather loud. PSU is know for their support. MSU and OSU stadiums are nuts. UNL is always packed and loud. Michigan Stadium was once known as a quiet place, but once they built the lux boxes (and pointed them inward), the sound is kept in and it's very loud. The two Under The Lights games against ND were about as loud as I have heard. VPI would be a great fit in either The Big10 or The SEC.

Reaction Score
The presidents want to rub elbows with the elite school (which UVA is), but VPI would be the AD's choice, IMO.

^^^^ This is the key!!!!! This is where UVa is possibly the most valuable property in CR talk and amongst university presidents. Some ADs are influential, but it doesn't matter until the BOT and president makes their choice.

Reaction Score
The fact that the Big Ten and SEC would readily take UNC ahead of FSU suggests they must have at least some value.

UNC is a bit better in football than Indiana. UNC = middle of the road along with GT, Pitt, VT, Miami and a few others as far as football goes. The problem with UNC is that they recruit well but just don't take the game very serious.

Unfortunately, the ACC is FSU and the 13 little dwarfs. Clemson might be a decent #2, but deep down are just not at the FSU talent level. I compare Clemson more to the VT of 2004 through 2010. Good, but not superior.

Reaction Score
No doubt that VPI is more vocal in their passion. I would rather have VPI than UVA (and hopefully The Big10 would see that as well) in my conference. I think the large alumni base fits very well with what The Big10 wants. The presidents want to rub elbows with the elite school (which UVA is), but VPI would be the AD's choice, IMO.

Many of the Big10 stadiums get rather crazy. Camp Randal Stadium in Madison Wisconsin is one big party and it get rather loud. PSU is know for their support. MSU and OSU stadiums are nuts. UNL is always packed and loud. Michigan Stadium was once known as a quiet place, but once they built the lux boxes (and pointed them inward), the sound is kept in and it's very loud. The two Under The Lights games against ND were about as loud as I have heard. VPI would be a great fit in either The Big10 or The SEC.
VT leaving probably is has least impact from an ACC coferece model.
They can add Cinn or Us and from a market standpoint come out unharmed.
Cinn brings Louisville's an established rival. And the ACC and incursion into Ohio.

If this happens than we are a disinct candidate.for the ACC or the B1G.as VPI partner.

dayooper

Reaction Score
VT leaving probably is has least impact from an ACC coferece model.
They can add Cinn or Us and from a market standpoint come out unharmed.
Cinn brings Louisville's an established rival. And the ACC and incursion into Ohio.

If this happens than we are a disinct candidate.for the ACC or the B1G.as VPI partner.

Been saying that for weeks, now. This scenario would help both conferences more than it would hurt them. It would sting The ACC to lose one of their better FB teams, but it would more than make up in a potential ACCN. Allowing Cinci into a P5 conference would impact recruiting in The Big10 (OSU has long pushed to keep Cinci from playing in a conference larger than The Big East), but the increased presence in the Baltimore/DC/Tidewater recruiting grounds would more than make up for it, not to mention the value to The BTN and the new contract.

Reaction Score
Losing VT will not help the ACC. They have a very strong hold on Virginia and NC, which are the Mid-Atlantic's Crown Jewels. Trading half of the Virginia viewership for Cincinnati isn't even close to helpful. Cincy recruits well right now and that would get better being in a P5 conference. Adding Cincy doesn't do squat in terms of other ACC schools recruiting in Ohio. Most top players in Ohio don't care what Cincy is doing. They always look to play in the B1G or SEC first. Cincy is a great town and a great sports school but it is a blip on the radar in the big picture with Ohio State lurking.

The ACC needs strength in the megalopolis of the northeast, particularly New York, and they need lots of valuable content. They also need to get some state flagships when they can instead of adding one fading private school or second fiddle state school after another. UConn fits that bill. The loss of VT would sting. The ACC is a weak football conference and trading VT for anyone else available is a net loss on that front. Reality is that the ACC is financially weakened and needs to prepare for some losses.

My belief is that ACC should add Cincy and UConn because change is inevitable. The ACC will lose a few schools and by having enough quality programs already in the fold, they could possibly get a network and survive some pillaging. They can also protect themselves against the B12 and B1G taking UConn/Cincy off the table, which would leave them with nowhere to turn. I'll believe the ACC is safe when they have a lucrative deal that is competitive with the other power conferences. Until then, talk that the ACC is strong rings hollow. The ACC and B12 would be wise to prepare for a dual to the death and I believe the conference with the most quality schools locked into a GOR will win that battle. The conferences could probably work out trades if it came down to it and the result benefitted all involved. However, if that were to happen, I'd want to have the most schools to work with.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Wouldn't a whole bunch of VA politicos be pissed if VT wants out of the ACC? There was quite a bit of political capital spent to get VT with UVa in the ACC not too long ago.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't a whole bunch of VA politicos be pissed if VT wants out of the ACC? There was quite a bit of political capital spent to get VT with UVa in the ACC not too long ago.

The capital was spent on getting VT out of the future AAC.

Reaction Score
Plus VT lobbied for inclusion for over 50 years, so I doubt they look to move anytime soon, but if the ACC starts to implode then all bets are off

Reaction Score
The one thing I don't get about the proposed ACCN is the ACC's deal with Raycom. Until that gets figured out I can't see ESPN doing this thing...the only one who will make good money on this whole deal is Raycom. John Swafford has made some puzzling deals and choices over the past few years...and the Raycom deal stands out at or near the top. The other top one...not taking Rutgers and UCONN in expansion if you have been trying to develop a network for your league.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The other top one...not taking Rutgers and UCONN in expansion if you have been trying to develop a network for your league.

Yup. The Pitt addition came before the BTN began to set the precedent of conference networks so I can kind of, sort of give the ACC a pass on that one. But the Louisville vs UCONN decision was a tremendous oversight for a conference worried about TV revenue. Louisville could have easily been added after an ACCN launched with UCONN. As we all are seeing, the B12 is content at 10 and isn't going to add anyone any time soon.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Don't know but I suspect not. The while point of that political effort was leveraging a moment where votes were needed to prevent from being left in a deminished Big East. This is a different circumstance. I don't see them stopping VPI from bettering itself.

Reaction Score
Plus VT lobbied for inclusion for over 50 years, so I doubt they look to move anytime soon, but if the ACC starts to implode then all bets are off

I can't imagine Virginia Tech ever wanting to leave the ACC after what we had to go through to finally gain membership. VT officials have stated repeatedly over the past several years that money isn't everything and Virginia Tech is exactly where we want to be--in the ACC. Duke, UNC, NC State, Wake Forest, Virginia. and Virginia Tech are all Mid-Atlantic schools and IMO do not belong in a Deep South conference (SEC) or in a conference centered in the Midwest (B1G). The six Virginia/North Carolina ACC schools are located within easy driving distance of one another, and as I see it, all are joined at the hip and will fight to keep the conference together.

UConn fans have a lot of anger towards the ACC and I can understand why. Most of you seem to want B1G membership, but I'm hopeful that the ACC is where UConn will eventually end up. While the ACC football championship game belongs in Charlotte, I believe the ACC Basketball Tournament belongs permanently at Madison Square Garden in NYC where it will capture the attention of the entire nation. To do that however, the ACC must have UConn, along with Syracuse, Louisville, Duke, Notre Dame, and North Carolina. Imagine what a Tournament that would be!

Reaction Score
As B1G guy (and hoops school guy), I'd rather imagine a Tournament with;

Indiana
Purdue
Michigan State
Maryland
Ohio State
Michigan
Wiscobiscuits
KANSAS
UCONN

VT & UVA really do nothing for me. I get the markets, the great schools, alumni, etc etc etc blah blah, but IMO we should slam home the NE/NYC with UCONN and add another all-time BBall blue-blood in KU (along with UCONN's modern day blue-blood pedigree).

One of the VA schools along w/ UCONN would be fine too, I guess. But imagining the Jayhawks in the B1G just gets me tingly.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As B1G guy (and hoops school guy), I'd rather imagine a Tournament with;

Indiana
Purdue
Michigan State
Maryland
Ohio State
Michigan
Wiscobiscuits
KANSAS
UCONN

VT & UVA really do nothing for me. I get the markets, the great schools, alumni, etc etc etc blah blah, but IMO we should slam home the NE/NYC with UCONN and add another all-time BBall blue-blood in KU (along with UCONN's modern day blue-blood pedigree).

One of the VA schools along w/ UCONN would be fine too, I guess. But imagining the Jayhawks in the B1G just gets me tingly.
As an RU guy I see it like you..our aim and the ACC knew it was to hitch our wagon to the traitional Eastern flagship PSU in the B1G and turn the B1G into a national conference instead of just a quaint midwestern. With an RU/UConn add the ACC had the same opportunity but instead after the results of the B1G's research findings SU got in touch IMO with Swoffy to bail knowing the handwriting with the NYC market was on the wall and it wasnt "them" the B1G wanted but bigger fish esp potential wise after many years of work. Either VT/VA or KU sound's good to me to go along with UConn. BTW when I went to school the midatlantic consistested of 3 states NY/NJ/Pennsy technically though maybe its shifted south a little?

Reaction Score
BTW when I went to school the midatlantic consistested of 3 states NY/NJ/Pennsy technically though maybe its shifted south a little?

IMO, the Mid Atlantic is NY (Hudson River drainage basin to the eastern NY line & maybe Long island), all of NJ, PA (east of the great divide), all of MD, all of DE, the very northeastern part of WVa and VA (the James River drainage basin & east of the great divide + the eastern shore). Basically, if anything flows to the Gulf of Mexico, St. Lawrence Seaway or anywhere south of the Chesapeake Bay, then it's not the Mid-Atlantic. By my assertion, Pitt, WVU and VT are not Mid-Atlantic schools. SU shouldn't be either as everything technically drains to Lake Erie unless the man-made Erie canal counts.

The Adirondacks, Allegheny Mountains and Southside Virginia just don't feel Mid-Atlantic to me.

Last edited:

dayooper

Reaction Score
IMO, the Mid Atlantic is NY (Hudson River drainage basin to the eastern NY line & maybe Long island), all of NJ, PA (east of the great divide), all of MD, all of DE, the very northeastern part of WVa and VA (the James River drainage basin & east of the great divide + the eastern shore). Basically, if anything flows to the Gulf of Mexico, St. Lawrence Seaway or anywhere south of the Chesapeake Bay, then it's not the Mid-Atlantic.

The Adirondacks, Allegheny Mountains and Southside Virginia just don't feel Mid-Atlantic to me.

I can agree with most of this. There is no way, IMO, that Pittsburg is Mid-Atlantic. Pittsburg is Midwestern. Too much like the Mistake by the Lake (Cleveland).

Reaction Score
IMO, the Mid Atlantic is NY (Hudson River drainage basin to the eastern NY line & maybe Long island), all of NJ, PA (east of the great divide), all of MD, all of DE, the very northeastern part of WVa and VA (the James River drainage basin & east of the great divide + the eastern shore). Basically, if anything flows to the Gulf of Mexico, St. Lawrence Seaway or anywhere south of the Chesapeake Bay, then it's not the Mid-Atlantic. By my assertion, Pitt, WVU and VT are not Mid-Atlantic schools. SU shouldn't be either as everything technically drains to Lake Erie unless the man-made Erie canal counts.

I've lived in Ann Arbor and upstate NY include WNY, and I grew up in the northeast before that.

WNY (specifically Buffalo) is so much more like the northeast than it is the Midwest. I just can't ever see how this argument is made. People in these parts of NY act as brash as people in Philly or New York City. There are a huge number of Italians here and Catholics. This is probably one of the most Catholic cities I've ever lived in (NYC, Boston, etc.).

In the midwest, people are really polite, punctual. They have their flaws of course, which I don't need to go into.

CL82

Reaction Score
I can't imagine Virginia Tech ever wanting to leave the ACC after what we had to go through to finally gain membership. VT officials have stated repeatedly over the past several years that money isn't everything and Virginia Tech is exactly where we want to be--in the ACC. Duke, UNC, NC State, Wake Forest, Virginia. and Virginia Tech are all Mid-Atlantic schools and IMO do not belong in a Deep South conference (SEC) or in a conference centered in the Midwest (B1G). The six Virginia/North Carolina ACC schools are located within easy driving distance of one another, and as I see it, all are joined at the hip and will fight to keep the conference together.

UConn fans have a lot of anger towards the ACC and I can understand why. Most of you seem to want B1G membership, but I'm hopeful that the ACC is where UConn will eventually end up. While the ACC football championship game belongs in Charlotte, I believe the ACC Basketball Tournament belongs permanently at Madison Square Garden in NYC where it will capture the attention of the entire nation. To do that however, the ACC must have UConn, along with Syracuse, Louisville, Duke, Notre Dame, and North Carolina. Imagine what a Tournament that would be!
Well this UConn fan has no anger toward the ACC. Now some the programs I don't particularly care for (cough, cough, Syracuse, BC, cough) but the conference itself...meh. I just happen to think that the B1G is a much more stable place to be. Having lived with being in a conference with schools with very different goals, going into a situation with an odd conglomeration of privates and publics with ND firmly attached as a parasite isn't particularly attractive...been there, done that.

That said were the ACC to extend an invitation, I'd be grateful. A leaky lifeboat is preferable to a sinking ship.

CL82

Reaction Score
I've lived in Ann Arbor and upstate NY include WNY, and I grew up in the northeast before that.

WNY (specifically Buffalo) is so much more like the northeast than it is the Midwest. I just can't ever see how this argument is made. People in these parts of NY act as brash as people in Philly or New York City. There are a huge number of Italians here and Catholics. This is probably one of the most Catholic cities I've ever lived in (NYC, Boston, etc.).

In the midwest, people are really polite, punctual. They have their flaws of course, which I don't need to go into.
Oh well if there are Italians and Catholics...:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger