Virginia Tech's Babcock talks ACC channel, fan experience, football ticket sales | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Virginia Tech's Babcock talks ACC channel, fan experience, football ticket sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I disagree. If the acc schools are at a disadvantage, they leave. Sure there is a legal battle but in the long run if a school wants to leave they leave.
That leaves espn with a big contract to an altered acc.
Espn has the leverage but it's not as one sided as you think.

They have a huge disadvantage, they have nothing to hold back. Any leverage they have was gone once they sold their rights to ESPN. ESPN can start a network and not give the conference a dime. Sure a school can leave, but as long as ESPN has UNC and FSU, they will see it as a plus. Those are the schools that have the leverage, and you don't hear about them talking about the need for a conference network.

In all reality, it would be best for The ACC to lose some of the redundant schools and grow into different markets. Same for ESPN.

Reaction Score
I disagree. If the acc schools are at a disadvantage, they leave. Sure there is a legal battle but in the long run if a school wants to leave they leave.
That leaves espn with a big contract to an altered acc.
Espn has the leverage but it's not as one sided as you think.

Altered ACC also means altered contract.

Reaction Score
dayooper said:
They have a huge disadvantage, they have nothing to hold back. Any leverage they have was gone once they sold their rights to ESPN. ESPN can start a network and not give the conference a dime. Sure a school can leave, but as long as ESPN has UNC and FSU, they will see it as a plus. Those are the schools that have the leverage, and you don't hear about them talking about the need for a conference network. In all reality, it would be best for The ACC to lose some of the redundant schools and grow into different markets. Same for ESPN.

The only redundant schools that are likely to get an invite elsewhere are the schools the ACC can't afford to lose.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
You three should never interact - individually, you have bad ideas, but when you collaborate, you hit levels that most people would require hallucinogens to achieve.

Isn't it the Conference Realignment board's purpose to provide hallucinogenic-level distraction from our AAC membership? I can't speak for others, but I am 1000% certain that I don't read and post on the CR board to catch up on UVA soccer or Purdue field hockey.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
The only redundant schools that are likely to get an invite elsewhere are the schools the ACC can't afford to lose.

Redundant schools

North Carolina: UNC, NCST, WF, Duke

There is only one school that The ACC can't lose and that's UNC. Maybe Duke for the Duke/UNC rivalry, but UNC is the only true loss. NCST may have some appeal to either The SEC (just need a foothold in the state). I know they want UNC, but NCST would get the SECN at full rate in NC.

Virginia: UVA, VPI

Could lose either and they would still have Virginia. My guess is that UVA is more valuable, but VPI would still get the state of Virginia on a network and bring in a new market for the upcoming media deal.

Florida: FSU, Miami

FSU would be an ACC killer, no question. Losing Miami might hurt, but no one would want them, unless you are The Big12.

Losing anybody but UNC and FSU would not kill the ACC. In fact, keeping NC and Virginia while reducing the mouths to feed would be a boon for the schools. Adding Ohio and keeping 14 schools might mean more money for the member schools.

Reaction Score
North Carolina a must?

Hell...I wouldn't mind if UNC left like Maryland...unless they actually start playing football.

They are the Indiana of the ACC.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The value in the ACC is in North Carolina and Virginia.

You don't want them to leave.

Reaction Score
North Carolina a must?

Hell...I wouldn't mind if UNC left like Maryland...unless they actually start playing football.

Delusional

Reaction Score
I am an FSU football guy...not a conference guy.

The ACC has never warmed me....I have always viewed the "conference pride..rah-rah" folks as those whose team will never compete for the brass ring...so they take a vicarious pride in the best of their conference.

I suppose that if I was a FSU basketball fan, and was enthralled with ACC basketball, it might be much the same.

But the Biffs of North Carolina, in their pressed chino's and pin point blue oxford cloth shirts, with sweaters artfully draped around their necks, who sniff about academics while loading their crackers with brie....just don't fit with us Noles. And our thin, barbeque stained T shirts stretched across our beer gut.

The ACC? Only a platform to compete for the prize in....anything that helps FSU maintain a national position, I am for....even if that means somehow valuing UNC more than I do personaly.

Reaction Score
North Carolina a must?

UNC at least has experienced success in football. Between 1970 -1997 produced teams that won close to 60% of its games, 2 conf titles, multiple bowl & NFL draft picks. It the BCS era that UNC went completely to average to below average range

Reaction Score
UNC at least has experienced success in football. Between 1970 -1997 produced teams that won close to 60% of its games, 2 conf titles, multiple bowl & NFL draft picks. It the BCS era that UNC went completely to average to below average range

Yep...for the last two decades, UNC has mainly been a football dog.

They have won 13% of their games with FSU in the ACC.

Things change over time...sometimes not for the good. Heck..in 1970, Air Force played in the Sugar Bowl.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
North Carolina is hardly alone in not having a great football program - they're the rule in the ACC, not the exception. (It is, after all, a basketball conference at heart.)

You've got Florida State and Clemson and then crickets.

But if you lose North Carolina, there's going to be a stampede for the door and that'll either leave you in whatever would remain of the Big 12 or forcing a smile through tears at a presser next to Mike Aresco.

Reaction Score
Do we really have to explain why losing UNC would be catastrophic to the ACC??

To an ACC fan??

Seriously??

ps. If you're done w UNC Mr. Delany will gladly take them off your hands. He might even pay the full $52MM for the Heels (+ another $100MM just because.)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not surprising an FSU fan doesn't get UNC'e role in the ACC
as they like Miami, and BCU , reside there for lack of a better opportunity.
UNC resides there because it's their family home.
It similar to the Big East .
When VPI or Miami left it hurt but they were tangental to the soul of the conference .When Syracuse bailed as much as this UConn fan hates to admit it ,the Big East was dead..
UNC is the soul of the ACC.

Reaction Score
FSU has always been the odd man in the ACC....

Our primary rivals for the last 50 years were from out of conference...Florida and Miami.

The only rivalry that FSU has developed in near a quarter century of ACC play is a budding one with Clemson.

Sure, UNC is an ACC faithful....and has enjoyed their backyard relationship with Duke, Wake, and NC State...but I don't believe that FSU , Clemson nor Miami fans are in love with the ACC. Just a place to play.

Reaction Score
North Carolina a must?

The fact that the Big Ten and SEC would readily take UNC ahead of FSU suggests they must have at least some value.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
FSU has always been the odd man in the ACC....

Our primary rivals for the last 50 years were from out of conference...Florida and Miami.

The only rivalry that FSU has developed in near a quarter century of ACC play is a budding one with Clemson.

Sure, UNC is an ACC faithful....and has enjoyed their backyard relationship with Duke, Wake, and NC State...but I don't believe that FSU , Clemson nor Miami fans are in love with the ACC. Just a place to play.

Since they are playing along with your troll act so will I.

Of all the programs for an FSU fan to complain about in the ACC for football... North Carolina would be the funniest after Clemson. They don't win but they have had a ridiculous amount of NFL talent.

Reaction Score
Since they are playing along with your troll act so will I.

Of all the programs for an FSU fan to complain about in the ACC for football... North Carolina would be the funniest after Clemson. They don't win but they have had a ridiculous amount of NFL talent.

Soooo...do they get an award for having a lot of talent..... but a 13% win rate against FSU?

Wake Forest has more respect (a winning record against UNC since 2000)....with far less talent. And Wake is the second smallest school in IA.

Reaction Score
The fact that the Big Ten and SEC would readily take UNC ahead of FSU suggests they must have at least some value.

They may have value for a network...more so then an adversary on a schedule.....

"Value" has changed....Rutgers has value to the Big Ten....but I do not thnk it was for their athletic prowess.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Soooo...do they get an award for having a lot of talent..... but a 13% win rate against FSU?

Wake Forest has more respect (a winning record against UNC since 2000)....with far less talent. And Wake is the second smallest school in IA.

Ok so FSU would rather play Wake than Carolina. Let us know when you want help getting untwisted from your pretzel.

Reaction Score
For me...it is about football relevancy.

Do you contribute to the football relevancy of a schedule or a conference? Are games with you considered a "good watch" if not a marquee match up?

Does a game with you provide for anticipation and fan excitement?

Do you have any national presence?

For UNC and FSU...UNC would grade out low.

Reaction Score
Ok so FSU would rather play Wake than Carolina. Let us know when you want help getting untwisted from your pretzel.

Wake has been a far better opponent of late....Beaten FSU twice as much since 2000 then
UNC since 1992.

It was Wake's three straight wins over FSU that got the Boosters moving to oust Bobby. And, incidentally has built some pay back fire and interest)

I do suspect that we are now back into a dominant stage and Wake will not challenge...

If only UNC would play a little to their potential instead of waiting for Midnight Madness.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69