OT: - Victor Wembanyama | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Victor Wembanyama

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Wilt, Bill Russell, Bird, Oscar...............................
These guys need to be in the conversation - they could play in any era and dominate as would MJ and LeBron

Reaction Score
These guys need to be in the conversation - they could play in any era and dominate as would MJ and LeBron
Wilt and Oscar had stats that are almost hard to believe when you scan them.

Reaction Score
They could, I just think specifically Jordan and LeBron transfer skillsets better than pretty much any other player. LeBron in the 90’s would’ve been insane because of the defensive rules, and Jordan similarly in the 2000’s because of how easy it would be for him to draw fouls.

Reaction Score
They could, I just think specifically Jordan and LeBron transfer skillsets better than pretty much any other player. LeBron in the 90’s would’ve been insane because of the defensive rules, and Jordan similarly in the 2000’s because of how easy it would be for him to draw fouls.
Wilt, Russell, and Oscar also played when there were far fewer teams, so there were few scrubs on benches let alone getting minutes. The talent level was super high.

Reaction Score
I don’t either at this point but I agree.

Also Jordan was never an underdog in any Final he played in. Lebron has carried some pretty weak teams there.
The thing is Jordan wasn't chasing anyone. He was legitimately the most famous person in the world, it got to be a bit too much him culminating with the murder of his dad. He retired twice when he was by far the best player in the league leaving several more NBA titles on the board. I think there's a pretty good chance those two three peats would've been a 10 peat without the retirements.

I think you're pretty young so probably didn't get to watch him...people often refer to him having the greatest competitiveness ever but it's wild how he was doing stuff athletically that nobody else has done since. Nobody has ever come close to catching the amount of bodies he caught, he routinely dunked on entire front lines. You hardly ever see it anymore. The reaction videos are a bit much on YouTube but I still like seeing young people react to Jordan's highlight tape.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Wilt, Russell, and Oscar also played when there were far fewer teams, so there were few scrubs on benches let alone getting minutes. The talent level was super high.
Fewer teams does not mean the talent level was better. I've never heard anyone argue the overall talent level was better then, with good reason. It wasn't.

Reaction Score
Fewer teams does not mean the talent level was better. I've never heard anyone argue the overall talent level was better then, with good reason. It wasn't.
Fewer roster spots would mean for example only the best 100-120 players would find roster spots, no?

Reaction Score
Fewer roster spots would mean for example only the best 100-120 players would find roster spots, no?
There was just less high quality basketball players overall. If you don't think the overall talent pool now is way higher than back then, I don't know what to tell you. There were no International players back then, etc

Reaction Score
There was just less high quality basketball players overall. If you don't think the overall talent pool now is way higher than back then, I don't know what to tell you. There were no International players back then, etc
The athleticism level is undoubtedly higher now as a whole. The fundamentals are more debatable. And the talent pool is spread thinner over double or triple the amount of teams. The folks at Bleacher Report measured eras and came to the conclusion that the 1980s and 1990s were the two greatest eras. Sometimes folks suffer from Recency Bias.

Reaction Score
There also were international players in the Olympics back in the day that American college kids would flog every four years. And those players were mature grown men.

Reaction Score
The athleticism level is undoubtedly higher now as a whole. The fundamentals are more debatable. And the talent pool is spread thinner over double or triple the amount of teams. The folks at Bleacher Report measured eras and came to the conclusion that the 1980s and 1990s were the two greatest eras. Sometimes folks suffer from Recency Bias.
I believe that article came out in 2011, and did not measure the 2010’s.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

It came out in 2013, and did include the 2010s.
Well, that’s pretty paradoxical. Included a decade that they were less than a third into.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Yes, and when basketball was invented there was only one team, which means the highest talent level ever!

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
2012-2013 LeBron was a different beast. Insanely strong and fast, and was like 275. NBA version of Bo.
Yeah he was a tank in his athletic peak.

2nd go around Cavs Lebron is probably my personal favorite. That one seemed like he was always in full control of a game. That was his 95-97 Jordan time but it got ruined by KD to the Warriors.

Reaction Score
Yes, and when basketball was invented there was only one team, which means the highest talent level ever!
See comments above on the best eras from Bleacher Report. Sorry but it wasn’t the 2010s!

Reaction Score
I mean the wheel wasn’t invented this decade or last, but it still is pretty nifty.
You should quit digging. Using an article written before half of the elite players from that decade were even drafted is stupid

Reaction Score
You should quit digging. Using an article written before half of the elite players from that decade were even drafted is stupid
What’s stupid is that you’re hurling an insult without refuting the article’s points. No thanks I won’t.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom