UT playing today against the LVs | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UT playing today against the LVs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'd be lying if I said Meighan doesn't frustrate me. We will see a lot more Carter and Reynolds throughout the year. Not sure on Carter's season numbers, but she has been a deadly shooter. Problem is, she rarely shoots. That needs to change. Meighan was efficient shooting last game but Holly was vocally displeased with her turnovers. This team can be very good but our zone offense has to get way better and we can't start slow because teams like Stanford, Notre Dame won't let us come back. I am glad that Holly addressed free throws and layups last press conference. That's the difference is us winning and dominating. I think we are getting better but there is much work to be done before we can declare we are Final Four bound. We first need to get a No. 1 seed which means winning 2 of 3 between Stanford, Notre Dame and Kentucky.

Reaction Score
think we are getting better but there is much work to be done before we can declare we are Final Four bound. We first need to get a No. 1 seed which means winning 2 of 3 between Stanford, Notre Dame and Kentucky.

The only #1 Regional seed that is really going to mean all that much is the #1 overall seed, which in all probability will be sent to Nebraska. If so, the LV's will most likely have to defeat Louisville, ND or Stanford on their home court, or UConn on a neutral court to advance to the Final Four. Pick your poison.

Currently my Bracketology is as follows:
Louisville Regional
1. Duke
2. Tennessee
3. Louisville

Notre Dame Regional
1. ND
2. Kentucky
3. Penn St.

Nebraska Regional
1. UConn
2. Baylor
3. Ok St.

Stanford Regional
1. Stanford
2. Maryland
3. Cal

Last edited:

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Pretty good list.
I'd swap Gonzaga for Cal.

Reaction Score
It seems that for the past few years..... I have heard the same echo..... the LVs have the talent to be at or near the top.,... but have not ben able to do anything with it..... and have heard several theories why have not made the FF since 08..... Pat's illness, uncertainty on coaching succession..... etc..... but the dry spell was already going 3 years before Pat's diagnosis.... whatever the reason..... the LVs are missing a key ingredient.... and have been for several years..... personally I haven't seen a lot of heart.... and drive to win.... our LV posters I am sure will disagree.... but this is what I have seen.... also from the 2 dozen or so games I have seen them play the last 5 yrs or so..... I do not see a great development of offensive sets.... taking shots too quickly..... after 1 or 2 passes at most..... before rebounders are in place etc.... just what I see

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
It seems that for the past few years..... I have heard the same echo..... the LVs have the talent to be at or near the top.,... but have not ben able to do anything with it..... and have heard several theories why have not made the FF since 08..... Pat's illness, uncertainty on coaching succession..... etc..... but the dry spell was already going 3 years before Pat's diagnosis.... whatever the reason..... the LVs are missing a key ingredient.... and have been for several years..... personally I haven't seen a lot of heart.... and drive to win.... our LV posters I am sure will disagree.... but this is what I have seen.... also from the 2 dozen or so games I have seen them play the last 5 yrs or so..... I do not see a great development of offensive sets.... taking shots too quickly..... after 1 or 2 passes at most..... before rebounders are in place etc.... just what I see

I think it's unfair to say these players don't have heart. They play their hearts out. I don't see players dogging it.

Reaction Score
Seriously?

You can't be THAT much of a homer that you think she played good.

HS player of the year, 13 minutes, 2 points on 2 FT's. No blocks.
I still find it hard to believe that the rating sites ranked her as the number one recruit in this class. Everything I've heard about her play at Tennessee suggests she is slow and plundering and no where near a top 10 type recruit.

Reaction Score
I still find it hard to believe that the rating sites ranked her as the number one recruit in this class. Everything I've heard about her play at Tennessee suggests she is slow and plundering and no where near a top 10 type recruit.

Especially when you compare Russell to ND's Taya Reimer...Reimer is much more athletic, stronger and physical...she runs the court well and can drive it to the hoop from the elbow with authority; and is a big force on the boards. Not sure what the recruiting services were smoking when the rated Russell ahead of Reimer.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Let's remember please that Ann was on the winning 2012 International 3x3 team that won the gold medal. Her career can not be considered concluded. :)
I was referring to their college careers. Ann's was very solid. Certainly a terrific player while at UCONN. Much better than the "lower" echelon I mentioned. But not in the same category as Maya, Diana, Tina, Stewie, etc... That's all I meant...

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
If Mercedes played for ND or Louisville or Stanford or any other team, she wouldn't be getting the same disparaging comments. Some of you folks need to ask yourself if you'd say the same things to her face. There are some threads that make me cringe as a UConn fan and this is one of them.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
They're 9 and 0 and ranked 3rd

Don't like their style? ok

They have some tuff opponents coming up.

I'm willing to give them a pass until they show they can compete with Stanford (I think they'll win)
and ND (Ithink they'll lose).

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
They're 9 and 0 and ranked 3rd

Don't like their style? ok

They have some tuff opponents coming up.

I'm willing to give them a pass until they show they can compete with Stanford (I think they'll win)
and ND (Ithink they'll lose).

They are 8-0. But who have they played? I would have said and did say the same about Baylor. Then they played Kentucky. Same with TN. As you said let's see how they do against better teams.

Reaction Score
If Mercedes played for ND or Louisville or Stanford or any other team, she wouldn't be getting the same disparaging comments. Some of you folks need to ask yourself if you'd say the same things to her face. There are some threads that make me cringe as a UConn fan and this is one of them.

Totally, but respectfully disagree Nan. Not many players have gotten bashed by UConn fans, for on and off-court, issues more than ND's Skylar Diggins did. She was never good enough for some and too much off a diva for others. The reason Louisville and Stanford don't get picked on is they aren't perceived as legit threats. During the Diggins era, the Irish were a very worthy opponent who got the best of the Huskies more often than many in this forum liked. It's natural to "go after" your enemies. With that being said, it's not that I (others) see the LV's as a legit threat, they definitely are not, but that I (others) are do not respect the views of their fan base, and love to poke holes in their arguments and point out their illogical thinking in general. LV fans don't know what they don't know and it's too tempting not to clue them in.

As far as saying it to their face, I have no problem doing so with the people I am addressing/replying to like stwainfan and VolFan as well as all the lurkers from The Summitt including TinyVol, Orange007, Vol720, sheilafrostfan and prophet1 just to name a few. I am not speaking to players like Simmons or Russell. This forum is no different than sports talk radio where "constructive comments" are shared in "discussions" by many every day.

Last edited:

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I'd like to publicly apologize to Mercedes Russell for using her very normal learning curve as a freshman post as a vehicle to tease Tennessee fans. I meant no harm to her and if that was how this ended up as a thread, I'm sorry.

Reaction Score
One thing continually brought up is that we haven't played anybody. Many teams we scheduled we thought would be top 25 ranked but aren't. However that doesn't diminish that they are quality teams. Chattanooga, MTSU, Georgia Tech, and Texas are all or have been at some point receiving sign gigabit amounts of votes for the Top 25 and will all be tournament teams. Not to mention, Mulkey backed out of coming to Knoxville so we had to replace that game with Oakland because the big programs already had their schedules filled. We still play Stanford, Notre Dame, Kentucky, SCar, LSU, Georgia, and Texas A&M who are all Top 25, so we will see our fair share.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Totally, but respectfully disagree Nan. Not many players have gotten bashed by UConn fans, for on and off-court, issues more than ND's Skylar Diggins did. She was never good enough for some and too much off a diva for others. The reason Louisville and Stanford don't get picked on is they aren't perceived as legit threats. During the Diggins era, the Irish were a very worthy opponent who got the best of the Huskies more often than many in this forum liked. It's natural to "go after" your enemies. With that being said, it's not that I (others) see the LV's as a legit threat, they definitely are not, but that I (others) are do not respect the views of their fan base, and love to poke holes in their arguments and point out their illogical thinking in general. LV fans don't know what they don't know and it's too tempting not to clue them in.

As far as saying it to their face, I have no problem doing so with the people I am addressing/replying to like stwainfan and VolFan as well as all the lurkers from The Summitt including TinyVol, Orange007, Vol720, sheilafrostfan and prophet1 just to name a few. I am not speaking to players like Simmons or Russell. This forum is no different than sports talk radio where "constructive comments" are shared in "discussions" by many every day.
So, using your logic, if I'm angry with you it's OK with you if I insult your parents, spouse and kids?

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
It will be very interesting to see how they fare against Stanford and Kentucky.

Reaction Score
So, using your logic, if I'm angry with you it's OK with you if I insult your parents, spouse and kids?

Sure fire away, provided I drag them into the conversation first, by busting into your house and discussing their talents, accomplishments and honors in comparison to your kids and other students nationally.

And it doesn't have to do with anger, some of us on here just like to "debate" issues. In fact, DD is the most accomplished Master Debater I know. But I digress. Rarely, do I make a statement that I do not at least attempt to support. And rarely do I initiate threads...I generally reply to statements I do not agree with or that are poorly supported.

"See, man, that's the difference between us. You think we're fighting, I think we're finally talking!" -- Rod Tidwell

Last edited:

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
One thing continually brought up is that we haven't played anybody. Many teams we scheduled we thought would be top 25 ranked but aren't. However that doesn't diminish that they are quality teams. Chattanooga, MTSU, Georgia Tech, and Texas are all or have been at some point receiving sign gigabit amounts of votes for the Top 25 and will all be tournament teams. Not to mention, Mulkey backed out of coming to Knoxville so we had to replace that game with Oakland because the big programs already had their schedules filled. We still play Stanford, Notre Dame, Kentucky, SCar, LSU, Georgia, and Texas A&M who are all Top 25, so we will see our fair share.

I guess we will just have to disagree on what a quality team is. Winning by the margins they did against Virginia and GTech is not impressive for a #3 team.

And against this schedule their stats are quite unremarkable,

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I don't believe that compares to calling a player slow and plodding.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I'd like to publicly apologize to Mercedes Russell for using her very normal learning curve as a freshman post as a vehicle to tease Tennessee fans. I meant no harm to her and if that was how this ended up as a thread, I'm sorry.

Nicely done. I felt some of the comments were really directed at the kool-aid kids who thought MR was the second coming of Parker. It isn't really her fault that some fans had unrealistic expectations, and it is unfortunate that attempts to tweak the LV fans came across as criticism of Mercedes.

Reaction Score

Agree that sometimes good intentions in the scheduling arena aren't always realized. Playing "quality" opponents is one thing...defeating elite opponents is another. Please name the elite non-conference opponents the LV's have defeated in the past five seasons. It's kind of difficult to defeat elite opponents when you can't even advance to the Final Four.

Things that make you go hmmm!

Last edited:

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Nicely done. I felt some of the comments were really directed at the kool-aid kids who thought MR was the second coming of Parker. It isn't really her fault that some fans had unrealistic expectations, and it is unfortunate that attempts to tweak the LV fans came across as criticism of Mercedes.
I've seen a few Tennessee games this year. I was surprised how slow Russell got up and down the court. I'm wondering how to discuss that on this board. It feels like criticizing players in any way is a no no now.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I've seen a few Tennessee games this year. I was surprised how slow Russell got up and down the court. I'm wondering how to discuss that on this board. It feels like criticizing players in any way is a no no now.
Yes, she does not run the court well. I am not sure of her conditioning but that is true of many freshmen and especially so of posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom