UT playing today against the LVs | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UT playing today against the LVs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
stwainfan, what is your obsession of coming to this forum to display your total ignorance about and blind loyalty to the LV's? And I could care less what your coach has to say about her team -- we all know she isn't publicly going to bash her players. I have two eyes and can see for myself that the LV's have no semblance of an offense, and that they are such a poor defensive team -- they can't guard or stay out of foul trouble playing man-to-man -- that Coach Worlock is forced play zone defense for long stretches of time .

And how is it that your tallest player, who also happens to be the HS POY, can play 13 minutes and not even attempt a shot? Is it she is so passive she can't fight for position and ask for the ball, or that your coaches have no clue of how to teach your players to take advantage of one of their biggest possible assets?

The LV's are not even close to being in the same stratosphere as UConn...when is this ever going to sink in with you and your Orange friends?
EXACTLY!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Stewart was MVP of the sweet sixteen and the final 4. Do you really think Russell will reach either of those accomplishments?
Well, TN would have to make the final 4 for that to even have a chance to happen. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
As for Tennessee being on the level with UConn. I am sure Alabama football fans felt the same way. Nobody told Auburn they were not.

All aboard the Summitt Express; destination
Mt. UConn. Choo-choo. Talk about a train wreck!!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

All aboard the Summitt Express; destination
Mt. UConn. Choo-choo. Talk about a train wreck!!
Not sure if that's a good example, the choo-choo actually made it. ;)

Reaction Score
Not sure if that's a good example, the choo-choo actually made it. ;)

Ya, but stwainfan also referred to Tenn as Auburn, when they are actually Ohio St. (good record, but no signature wins). This is the modern day version of the original story...the title has been revised to "The Little Engine that Didn't".

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Deb Antonelli commented yesterday: "When was the last time you saw a Tenn team go inside out?" I really had not thought about it, but it is a sound observation. Maybe the perimeter shooting would improve if they tried to create separation that way.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The problem with Mercedes is her physical strength and aggressiveness. She doesn't look to score instinctively yet. She'll definitely take time to develop
That's an excellent observation. I know you probably don't read the BY religiously, but when Tenn landed Russell, some of us on here noted that she never really dominated any of the "all star" teams she played on. Most of the time on the USA National teams, she was the #3 or below leading scorer, and also didn't even lead the team in rebounds. For an athletic 6'6" kid who was top 3 in her class, it wasn't a ringing endorsement for her talent as the next great one.

Compare what she did internationally against kids like Stewie or KML or Williams, or even A'ja Wilson. Additionally, those of us who discussed Russell at the time also noted that generally it takes post players several years to develop. Look at a player like Tina Charles - she always put up strong numbers, but wasn't really a complete player or a monster till her junior year. Griner had to get stronger to handle the much more physical game in college. Still, Griner averaged over 18 PPG as a freshman and never played under 30 minutes as an average for ANY season.

I always said Russell would be a good player, but unless she developed a much better game, wouldn't be a great one. When you look at top 2-3 kids coming out of HS - those rated highest by the services, there are players like Parker, Charles, Moore, Taurasi, Griner, Simms, Ogwumike, Stewart, Williams, KML, Jefferson, EDD, Diggins, Jones (Alexis), Loyd, etc. who are at the top in HS, and are among the best in college.

There are players who are sort of in-between. Strother comes to mind - #1 coming out of HS and certainly did very very well at UCONN, but certainly not in the same class as Augustus who I think was #2 that year.

And then there are top 3 type players such as Ash Robinson, Sykes, Bjorkland, Bone, Howard (Natasha), Burdick, and others who are near the top in HS, but never really dominate at the same level in college. It remains to be seen if Russell will develop into the former or the latter.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just wanted to note that Ariel Massengale is continuing her outstanding play. 14 points and 7 assists yesterday. Has yet to have a game with under 5 assists.

Reaction Score
Just wanted to note that Ariel Massengale is continuing her outstanding play. 14 points and 7 assists yesterday. Has yet to have a game with under 5 assists.

Just to prove I can say something nice about Tenn on occasion, I totally agree with you VolFan. Massengale has really impressed me in the games I have seen her play. GREAT court vision and accurate passing, aggressive to the hoop in the half-court and in-transition and hitting a good percentage of her jumpers. Overall, she seems very smooth and isn't forcing the issue...just taking what the defense is offering. IMO, she is the LV's MVP to-date. Kudos to her on a great start!

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I think it's clear this team has the talent to be in Nashville. Yes I agree there are things that can improve. I see Simmons and Burdick both starting to hit there shots. Both had been struggling with shots. I think that will help. Massengale has played like a AA so far. The team has played eight games so far. So there is a lot of time to improve on some things.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
We all know that posts take longer to develop when they jump a level. The best center in the world, Tina Charles, had some real stinkeroo games in college to the point that Geno benched her. The light bulb went on in her junior year a la Asjha Jones, who also needed a couple years to develop.

I understand taking swipes at certain LV fans who've been annoying in the extreme but stwain and VolFan aren't two of them. And Mercedes Russell, a 17 year old kid, certainly isn't one, either.

Last edited:

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
We all know that posts take longer to develop when they jump a level. The best center in the world, Tina Charles, had some real stinkeroo games in college to the point that Geno benched her. The light bulb went on in her junior year a la Asjha Jones, who also needed a couple years to develop.

I understand taking swipes at certain LV fans who've been annoying in the extreme but stwain and VolFan aren't two of them. And Mercedes Russell, a 17 year old kid, not certainly isn't one, either.
My original comment was to the LV fans that said more than one time that Russell would be the difference this year. Not to pick on anyone, but Stwain loves to respond to Uconn fans here "we have a Mercedes".

Just a little shot. I didn't think it was that bad.

Your point about posts taking longer to develop is 100% true. My comment was a snarky way of pointing that out.

Reaction Score
I think it's clear this team has the talent to be in Nashville. They play the guitar? I see Simmons and Burdick both starting to hit there shots. Both had been struggling with shots. I think that will help. One good game is meaningless. Massengale has played like a AA so far. Guess it depends on how many point guards are on your AA team. The team has played eight games so far. So there is a lot of time to improve on some things. Every team can hang their hat on this one.
Unfortunately, teams that haven't played any real competition are subject to criticism. We can talk again 12/21.

Reaction Score
Saw theUT LV game.... was impressed with Massengale.... she had a couple of sweet assists there.... maybe the breakthrough player in the backcourt for the LVs.....

Iknow reading this summer from the LV fans that Mercedes was going to be theMessiah..... I never thought that was going to be.... most freshmen need some adjustment time... and she is one of these I think..... she will be good in her own time..... what I wonder about is her hustle...... or her stamina.. very slow up the floor..... I do not know what the cause of this is..... but wow.... if she plays this speed against the better competition she will geteaten alive

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
There are players who are sort of in-between. Strother comes to mind - #1 coming out of HS and certainly did very very well at UCONN, but certainly not in the same class as Augustus who I think was #2 that year.

Let's remember please that Ann was on the winning 2012 International 3x3 team that won the gold medal. Her career can not be considered concluded. :)

Last edited:

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I think it's clear this team has the talent to be in Nashville. Yes I agree there are things that can improve. I see Simmons and Burdick both starting to hit there shots. Both had been struggling with shots. I think that will help. Massengale has played like a AA so far. The team has played eight games so far. So there is a lot of time to improve on some things.

I don't think it's clear at all they have the talent to be in Nashville.

Where do you see Simmons and Burdick are starting to hit their shots? Simmons had one hot game against Virginia. Burdick was 4-8 in that game.

Since that game, Simmons is 9-23, 2-11 and Burdick is 5-20, 0-2.

Massengale has played her best basketball in her college career to date. AA? I'm not so sure.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

C'mon Doggy there's plenty of talent, talent galore.
The question is: whether anything important will come of it.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score

Where do you see Simmons and Burdick are starting to hit their shots? Simmons had one hot game against Virginia. Burdick was 4-8 in that game.

Since that game, Simmons is 9-23, 2-11 and Burdick is 5-20, 0-2.

Massengale has played her best basketball in her college career to date. AA? I'm not so sure.
Burdick was 3-13, 3-14, 0-4 to start the season. She was 3-7 last game but I noticed the shots looked better. They didn't rim out they stayed down. I think the defense is getting better. Still not allowed a team to shoot 40% this year.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, teams that haven't played any real competition are subject to criticism. We can talk again 12/21.
Ok let's talk after game at Stanford.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
C'mon Doggy there's plenty of talent, talent galore.
The question is: whether anything important will come of it.
They have some talent. I'm not as impressed as others about home much they really have.

Reaction Score
I think it's clear this team has the talent to be in Nashville (Final Four).

Isn't this just a recycled quote that has been used by LV fans the past five seasons? At what point are LV fans going to demand some accountability from the LV coaches, and their apparent inability to develop and maximize the potential of their team's talent? Instead, all I hear from LV fans is excuses ranging from injuries and officiating to lack of an adequate strength & conditioning coach to "we just need more time to gel". It's getting old real fast LV fans...the sooner you realize the root cause of your "issues" the sooner you will return to be a true contender for the NC.

Last edited:

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Burdick was 3-13, 3-14, 0-4 to start the season. She was 3-7 last game but I noticed the shots looked better. They didn't rim out they stayed down. I think the defense is getting better. Still not allowed a team to shoot 40% this year.

Here are her games.

3-11, 3-14, 0-4, 2-9, 3-8, 4-8, 3-11, 3-7.

8-37 the first 4 games.
13-34 the last 4 games.

Definitely an improvement.

Good move not trying to show that Simmons is shooting better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom