USF Will Beat UConn This Year! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

USF Will Beat UConn This Year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
First, thank you Java for the info. Glad you do this sort of thing regularly (as a few others do too.) You help me out with new information since it's not my bag to delve into the side stuff as much. However, here was my thought when I was reading this material on Antonelli-- yes, she announces 15 games a week and over 17,000 in her career, BUT did she play or coach at any level. I am sorry for my bias, nevertheless, if everything is equal I usually listen to the announcer who has experience playing or coaching. Playing at that level is first, then coaching. Playing and coaching plus announcing, IMHO, gives credibility. Have there been poor analysts and announcers with lots of experience playing and coaching?--YES (maybe Peck?). In short, who knows Debbie's background. Maybe I will understand her better if I know that.

In regards to the game (I enjoy the game stuff more than the announcers issues, or WNBA marriages & divorces, or ESPN's view of gun control)--IMHO, USF gave UConn good games every time they played. USF was hard-nosed, athletic, competitive, aggressive, and well coached. Here is how I rate the USF games - - I put them in the category where UConn has to keep the 5 starters in for most of the game or it will be too close for Geno to relax. Geno needs a 15 to 20 point lead to feel somewhat comfortable. A ten point lead could be down to 4 with two lucky 3pt shots by the opposition. I don't see USF winning, but the final score will be closer to a ten point win rather than a 20 point win. And we all know, if UConn "only wins by 10" --Man, that was a close game! In the last 2 years, how many games were close---2 or 3?
Coach:

Debbie played at NC State. Beth Mowins played at a small college. Point guard, I think. I thought Pam Ward played, too, but I don't find anything on that. Guess not.

As a sexist aside: I watched a little bit of a YouTube video of a UCONN game from '97 or '98 and Pam Ward was the sideline reporter. I was struck by how pretty she was.

Reaction Score
First, thank you Java for the info. Glad you do this sort of thing regularly (as a few others do too.) You help me out with new information since it's not my bag to delve into the side stuff as much. However, here was my thought when I was reading this material on Antonelli-- yes, she announces 15 games a week and over 17,000 in her career, BUT did she play or coach at any level. I am sorry for my bias, nevertheless, if everything is equal I usually listen to the announcer who has experience playing or coaching. Playing at that level is first, then coaching. Playing and coaching plus announcing, IMHO, gives credibility. Have there been poor analysts and announcers with lots of experience playing and coaching?--YES (maybe Peck?). In short, who knows Debbie's background. Maybe I will understand her better if I know that.

In regards to the game (I enjoy the game stuff more than the announcers issues, or WNBA marriages & divorces, or ESPN's view of gun control)--IMHO, USF gave UConn good games every time they played. USF was hard-nosed, athletic, competitive, aggressive, and well coached. Here is how I rate the USF games - - I put them in the category where UConn has to keep the 5 starters in for most of the game or it will be too close for Geno to relax. Geno needs a 15 to 20 point lead to feel somewhat comfortable. A ten point lead could be down to 4 with two lucky 3pt shots by the opposition. I don't see USF winning, but the final score will be closer to a ten point win rather than a 20 point win. And we all know, if UConn "only wins by 10" --Man, that was a close game! In the last 2 years, how many games were close---2 or 3?

I'm with ya. Always love how television picks the "expert commentators/talking heads". Not just in sports, but all areas. For instance, how do you get selected as a "legal expert"..."transportation expert"..."financial expert?" Is there a school you go to? "I'm a junior in 'theology expertise'...minoring in 'soccer analysis.' I just got a day job at MSNBC...working nights as an intern at ESPNU."
I've known a couple of guys who were on the Military channel..."aviation experts", I guess. In our Miramar days, both were as dumb as a box of rocks. One got the job after he almost won "Survivor". The other must have been a family member of the producer.
Not that I'm jealous, or anything. :mad::eek:

Reaction Score
Well ... I think you would have to define the size of the asteroid before you could even say that. There are meteors striking earths atmosphere every second, ones 10cm in diameter every few minutes, 1 meter sized ones every couple of months, and 10 meter once every couple of years to decades.
I was assuming Sonny meant a catastrophic "Armageddon" type asteroid collision but, with your info, I guess the Huskies better be on heightened alert for all the USF games

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
According to Massey, USF has a 4% chance of beating UCONN at home in January.
That is the third most difficult test left for UCONN in the regular season.

http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=1872&s=284068

IF USF can win ALL its games leading up to that game, which would include beating #9 Miss St, then they might have enough momentum and BELIEF in themselves to keep it close late in the game to eke out a victory.

Having said that, even in the best of circumstances, I would rate USF has less than a ten percent chance of winning. But, in a close game UCONN might feel the pressure even more than USF and strange things can and sometimes do happen. LOL

People here might remember some years ago, when USF took UCONN to OT. I doubt that USF then had any better chance of winning there than USF will have at home this time around.

Reaction Score
While I think UCONN will stay undefeated against USF this year, I don't think it will be a blow-out victories. USF has a fantastic coach and much props to the Bulls for really stepping up their WBB game. Always root for you guys unless you're playing my Huskies.

Does anyone have a video link for USF's game today against undefeated Oklahoma State? I'd love to watch the Bulls win. :)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Coach:

Debbie played at NC State. Beth Mowins played at a small college. Point guard, I think. I thought Pam Ward played, too, but I don't find anything on that. Guess not.

As a sexist aside: I watched a little bit of a YouTube video of a UCONN game from '97 or '98 and Pam Ward was the sideline reporter. I was struck by how pretty she was.
Pam Ward graduated with a degree in communications from Maryland. She didn't play basketball there.

Doris Burke is also a former player, a point guard from Providence (when they were good).

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
While I think UCONN will stay undefeated against USF this year, I don't think it will be a blow-out victories. USF has a fantastic coach and much props to the Bulls for really stepping up their WBB game. Always root for you guys unless you're playing my Huskies.

Does anyone have a video link for USF's game today against undefeated Oklahoma State? I'd love to watch the Bulls win. :)

No TV for the game anywhere today.

USF has a slight lead nearing halftime.

There is audio on the USF official site.

I'm listening to the game from Miami, where we will be playing in our bowl game tomorrow against #25 Western Kentucky.

Reaction Score
I was assuming Sonny meant a catastrophic "Armageddon" type asteroid collision but, with your info, I guess the Huskies better be on heightened alert for all the USF games

No offense but I think you are on the same asteroid that might hit us in a few hundred years.

Reaction Score
No offense but I think you are on the same asteroid that might hit us in a few hundred years.
upload_2015-12-20_14-14-30.png

Reaction Score
My take ... Debbie is simply doing her job. Whether it via BS or any other method she has to create interest in the woman's game. Saying UCONN is going to run the table does no good for ESPN or the game itself. No disrespect for Java and his post or the oft overzealous here. I realize we get bored if there is more than two days between games. ;)

Debbie is kind of hedging a bet here that will cost her nothing if she is wrong but give her a ton of cred if she is right. Sooner or later we will lose a conference game it is inevitable. Should it be to a team ranked in the top 20 it looks good for the conference, right now what else positive could she say about our conference? USF gave Baylor a good scare in Texas only to lose by 3. Now should we face them and Mo has a twisted bumpkin, Tuck has a runny nose and Stewie gets into foul trouble Debbie looks like a genius. I will hedge my bet and say if it happens her comment after would be in line with my own thoughts, it was simply something to learn from. This because going undefeated each year is not a goal at UCONN, winning a NC is...:D

Isn't that every teams goal?

Reaction Score
Isn't that every teams goal?
I was not going to reply here because it is simply silly, but seeing you are calling me out I will do so. I will keep it polite as you are a new member here and obviously new to woman's basketball. I like seeing this sport gain fans and besides it's Christmas :D.
Now to answer your question...... NO ! Sorry to holler. Please do some homework and realize a few facts. There are 349 D-1 woman's teams, of that number many would celebrate being above 500 pct on the season. For many teams the goal is to simply to be better than the previous season. For others a little higher on the ladder the goal is to make the NCAA's. That's it, simply to make the tourney is a mile stone for many programs.
Title Nine was a wonderful thing for woman's sports but it also created a situation where many schools only have a woman's basketball team because they have to. A national title is not on their mind at all. As for where my comment came from it is because Geno uses it as his mantra and not many coaches do the same. He also did not start doing that until he reached the stage of it being a possibility each year. It's one thing to pump up the team or a recruit but the goals have to be realistic or you simply sound like a fool. ;)
A good example is this years football team where the goal is to get better every practice and do the same every game. They did so by improving the record over last year and being able to play in a bowl game. The mantra was never to win a NC like Geno's each season. :)
Merry Christmas...

Reaction Score
I'm not "calling you out." You been watching too many 21 Jumpstreet episodes?? :eek:

Now, you can realize some facts...one of which is I'm thinking you never played the game...men's or women's, at a competitive level. If you did, you know that all teams set a goal to win a championship (well, maybe not all 349...I'm thinking just the top 100, or so). Point for you...I'm probably wrong about the entire composition of D-1 schools...should have been more precise. The goal might not be realistic, but a goal nonetheless. Whether they're willing to to what it takes to win a championship is a different story. BTW, I'm talking about the players, not the coach or the administration.

No clue about which football team you're referring to. If that really is their "goal" as a D-1 team, then maybe they'll make the McDonald's Quarter Pounder Bowl in Des Moines.

Thanks for the nice stats though. You obviously have a lot of time on your hands; enough to pre-suppose you know all 349 team goals. I'm impressed. Friendly wager: I'll be the players "goal" is to go undefeated. I'll probably lose the bet because you know so much, but what the heck.

Merry Christmas to you as well. :)

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
One of my favorite films! Lots of great quotes from that one.
For sure... Guarantee I'll be dredging this thread back up if Debbie wears anything with puffy sleeves on TV.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Speaking out of both sides of my mouth.

Going back a few years ago, ND got closer and closer...and then finally turned the corner: feels a little similar except...
However wondrous Courtney is...there was something about Skylar...surely couldn't shoot as well, but just imposed her will on a game.

Speaking against: SFl. didn't see the very best of Stewie nor Moriah the other night...if all 3 of the musketeers are clicking, no one has a chance.

Getting back to ND: there is a different level of desperate competitiveness that Muffit's teams bring to the table.
If you think about it SFl may have more talent right now and as good as their coaching is (and it's good), ND takes them 9 times out of 10.

Reaction Score
I think UCF is gonna find that playing UConn is like differential calculus - just because you get closer and closer to "X", doesn't mean you ever quite get there!:p
Right, we're the asymptote.!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Speaking out of both sides of my mouth.

Going back a few years ago, ND got closer and closer...and then finally turned the corner: feels a little similar except...
However wondrous Courtney is...there was something about Skylar...surely couldn't shoot as well, but just imposed her will on a game.

Speaking against: SFl. didn't see the very best of Stewie nor Moriah the other night...if all 3 of the musketeers are clicking, no one has a chance.

Getting back to ND: there is a different level of desperate competitiveness that Muffit's teams bring to the table.
If you think about it SFl may have more talent right now and as good as their coaching is (and it's good), ND takes them 9 times out of 10.

Not even close to being similar. ND lost by 3 points - it was a one point game with 4 seconds left in the 1st meeting - the year the beat us with Skylar in the final four. We had a 21 point lead in the USF game. Huge difference.

And ND was down in the same season by 5 points with 3 minutes left AT UCONN in game 3.

The USF team isn't close to this.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Whoever said this was drunk when they said it. No shot this happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bballmicmac

Top Bottom