USF Will Beat UConn This Year! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

USF Will Beat UConn This Year!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Have always liked Debbie's analysis and commentary...however, with her seeming affection for Staley's crew last year, my appreciation cooled a bit. Of course, after our blow out of them in Storrs, all we heard from Debbie was crickets. This year, prior to our match up with Ohio State, Debbie took to Twitter to say:

"How will UCONN defend K. Mitchell? Deny, shade, 2-2-1 3/4 ct pressure. Hard to trap @OhioState_WBB not many ball screens for Mitchell.....If Vegas not set under/over on total pts Kelsey Mitchell gets tonite vs. UCONN, I will. How bout under/over at 27? For fun, what u fans got?
Doesn't happen often. Who got 30 on UCONN last 11 yrs: Prince 33, Loyd 31, Pohlen 31,Angel 30, Parker 30. How many pts Kelsey Mitchell get?"

Yet, when Mitchell scored all of eight points, and was 2-14 from the field, all we heard from Debbie after the game was, "Taping Ohio State/UCONN. Coaching my 8th grade boys in pre season tourney...." and nothing further. So, perhaps instead of admitting to UCONN's continued dominance , she'd rather ignore it, and keep cheering for the competition!
USF beating UCONN? Fernandez can coach, and they have adjusted to UCONN over the years, but the game shouldn't be close, especially, if Butler is back in the fold with the remaining games under her belt.
Well said! And welcome aboard.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Have always liked Debbie's analysis and commentary...however, with her seeming affection for Staley's crew last year, my appreciation cooled a bit. Of course, after our blow out of them in Storrs, all we heard from Debbie was crickets. This year, prior to our match up with Ohio State, Debbie took to Twitter to say:

"How will UCONN defend K. Mitchell? Deny, shade, 2-2-1 3/4 ct pressure. Hard to trap @OhioState_WBB not many ball screens for Mitchell.....If Vegas not set under/over on total pts Kelsey Mitchell gets tonite vs. UCONN, I will. How bout under/over at 27? For fun, what u fans got?
Doesn't happen often. Who got 30 on UCONN last 11 yrs: Prince 33, Loyd 31, Pohlen 31,Angel 30, Parker 30. How many pts Kelsey Mitchell get?"

Yet, when Mitchell scored all of eight points, and was 2-14 from the field, all we heard from Debbie after the game was, "Taping Ohio State/UCONN. Coaching my 8th grade boys in pre season tourney...." and nothing further. So, perhaps instead of admitting to UCONN's continued dominance , she'd rather ignore it, and keep cheering for the competition!
USF beating UCONN? Fernandez can coach, and they have adjusted to UCONN over the years, but the game shouldn't be close, especially, if Butler is back in the fold with the remaining games under her belt.
*Claps* I checked her twitter after that OSU beat down too... there is a either already a bias against UConn or a bias forming for her and it is becoming very apparent. Like that little tid bit about Imovbioh she released during the SCar game the other night.

Reaction Score
*Claps* I checked her twitter after that OSU beat down too... there is a either already a bias against UConn or a bias forming for her and it is becoming very apparent. Like that little tid bit about Imovbioh she released during the SCar game the other night.
Glad to hear I'm not the only one watching!

Reaction Score
According to Debbie Antonelli, "At some point, this year, they [USF] are gonna have a game that they are going to win over Connecticut."

Her rationale is that because UConn's MOV over USF progressively decreased over their three meetings last year, that this trend will continue this year when conference play begins and result in a win for USF.

They did impress last year and are continuing to do so this year, but beat UConn? Will it happen?

I don't think so.
I highly doubt it Deb, and im willing to put money on it!

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
IF someone in conference could do it, USF would be the one. But I don't think so, not this year. They could give us fits, tho. All three times.

Reaction Score
Deb?
View attachment 11444 This isn't the right Deb is it?
One of my favorite films! Lots of great quotes from that one.

Reaction Score
I don't think Stewie is going to allow that to happen she's playing out of mind right now clearly ahead of every other player in WNCAA. You have good players that can score and that's it you have players who can pass and that's it and have rebounder and that's all but Stewie does it all. And again it's Uconn than every other team. We can stop them more times they can us on defense and that's what it comes down to.

Reaction Score
According to Debbie Antonelli, "At some point, this year, they [USF] are gonna have a game that they are going to win over Connecticut."

Who is Debbie Antonelli?

Reaction Score
Who is Debbie Antonelli?

Courtesy of Wikipedia:
Debbie Antonelli is a college basketball analyst who calls college basketball games for ESPN, Big Ten Network, CBS, FOX, and Westwood One. She also calls WNBA games for ESPN, NBATV, and is the main play-by-play voice of the Indiana Fever, a position she has held since 1996.[1]

Antonelli has a widespread workload during basketball season that has now lasted for 27 years. In November and December, she typically calls one to three games each week. Amongst the broadcasts are South Carolina Gamecocks and Tennessee Lady Volunteers games on Fox Sports South. Once January hits, Antonelli broadcasts 3 to 5 games each week.

Beginning in January, Antonelli calls women's games from the Big Ten Conference for BTN Monday's. Saturday's are spent with Conference USA or the Big 12 Conference calling games for FSN, Sunday's are with ACC Regional or ESPN calling an ACC or SEC game, and some Tuesday's and Wednesday's are with CBS Sports Network calling games for the American Athletic Conference or the Patriot League. She also serves as one of the 3 analysts calling games for College Basketball on CBS's January Saturday women's triple header.

Reaction Score
My take ... Debbie is simply doing her job. Whether it via BS or any other method she has to create interest in the woman's game. Saying UCONN is going to run the table does no good for ESPN or the game itself. No disrespect for Java and his post or the oft overzealous here. I realize we get bored if there is more than two days between games. ;)

Debbie is kind of hedging a bet here that will cost her nothing if she is wrong but give her a ton of cred if she is right. Sooner or later we will lose a conference game it is inevitable. Should it be to a team ranked in the top 20 it looks good for the conference, right now what else positive could she say about our conference? USF gave Baylor a good scare in Texas only to lose by 3. Now should we face them and Mo has a twisted bumpkin, Tuck has a runny nose and Stewie gets into foul trouble Debbie looks like a genius. I will hedge my bet and say if it happens her comment after would be in line with my own thoughts, it was simply something to learn from. This because going undefeated each year is not a goal at UCONN, winning a NC is...:D

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
She was asked for a "bold prediction" and she gave it. Not sure why all the shade...

Reaction Score
maybe she actually means, "Beat them ONTO the basketball court," not "beat them ON the basketball court."

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Debbie's "bold prediction" reminds me of Satchel Paige's famous quote:

"Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you." ;)

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score

Her rationale is that because UConn's MOV over USF progressively decreased over their three meetings last year, that this trend will continue this year when conference play begins and result in a win for USF.

They did impress last year and are continuing to do so this year, but beat UConn? Will it happen?

I don't think so.
In what sport?

Reaction Score
There's a better chance an asteroid will hit the planet. It's not happening. I like you DA - but I seriously doubt you believe. If someone were to say - this upcoming season will UCONN beat USF in all games -- and your house was on the line. If you're wrong you lose your house. I doubt we'd hear this comedy that USF will beat us.

Reaction Score
There's a better chance an asteroid will hit the planet. It's not happening. I like you DA - but I seriously doubt you believe. If someone were to say - this upcoming season will UCONN beat USF in all games -- and your house was on the line. If you're wrong you lose your house. I doubt we'd hear this comedy that USF will beat us.
Actually there's a 100% chance that the earth will be hit by an asteroid; just a matter of time most Astronomers agree.

Reaction Score
Actually there's a 100% chance that the earth will be hit by an asteroid; just a matter of time most Astronomers agree.

Meant to say for this college basketball year.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I believe Debbie was one of the talking heads questioning whether UCONN's dominance was good for WCBB.

If so, I think she is just waiting for a some other champion.

Reaction Score
I believe Debbie was one of the talking heads questioning whether UCONN's dominance was good for WCBB.

Well she has a long wait!

Reaction Score

Yeah....I don't know whether she dislikes UConn but she certainly dislikes UConn's dominance. I remember one game (non UConn) a couple of years ago the announcer brought up how good UConn was and Antonelli went a little nuts saying things like 'well we can't just hand it to them'....'someone has got to step up and challenge them' lol. Which if she thought about it is why UConn's dominance IS good for the game.

Nothing wrong in making 'bold' predictions but it would be nice, if things turn out completely opposite of what you predicted, to let us know where you went wrong. :)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Ahhh - that reduces the chances to less than 50% ;)
Well ... I think you would have to define the size of the asteroid before you could even say that. There are meteors striking earths atmosphere every second, ones 10cm in diameter every few minutes, 1 meter sized ones every couple of months, and 10 meter once every couple of years to decades.

Reaction Score
First, thank you Java for the info. Glad you do this sort of thing regularly (as a few others do too.) You help me out with new information since it's not my bag to delve into the side stuff as much. However, here was my thought when I was reading this material on Antonelli-- yes, she announces 15 games a week and over 17,000 in her career, BUT did she play or coach at any level. I am sorry for my bias, nevertheless, if everything is equal I usually listen to the announcer who has experience playing or coaching. Playing at that level is first, then coaching. Playing and coaching plus announcing, IMHO, gives credibility. Have there been poor analysts and announcers with lots of experience playing and coaching?--YES (maybe Peck?). In short, who knows Debbie's background. Maybe I will understand her better if I know that.

In regards to the game (I enjoy the game stuff more than the announcers issues, or WNBA marriages & divorces, or ESPN's view of gun control)--IMHO, USF gave UConn good games every time they played. USF was hard-nosed, athletic, competitive, aggressive, and well coached. Here is how I rate the USF games - - I put them in the category where UConn has to keep the 5 starters in for most of the game or it will be too close for Geno to relax. Geno needs a 15 to 20 point lead to feel somewhat comfortable. A ten point lead could be down to 4 with two lucky 3pt shots by the opposition. I don't see USF winning, but the final score will be closer to a ten point win rather than a 20 point win. And we all know, if UConn "only wins by 10" --Man, that was a close game! In the last 2 years, how many games were close---2 or 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom