UMass Post Game Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UMass Post Game Thread

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
I am not sure how anyone takes anything negative out of today. We won, they lost, and we were on the road. Won by double digits, game never in question.

I think we can all lament over the whole season but maybe not in this thread. Good win today and nicely done Huskies!
Well said.

Reaction Score
It looked like there was some division in the locker room, how much, I don't know. But whenever you see players enter the transfer portal in the middle of the season, it's a sign of big trouble. I am going to guess not everyone was on board with Fagnano being the QB and frankly I can't blame them. It's not like Charlton has a great track record of potent high octane offenses in his career to get a blank check to make that decision.

After the Georgia St was when I really got concerned that we were seeing a repeat of 2016 after having a 6-7 season the year before (just like 2015) where UConn wasn't building off that. All the goodwill from 2022 was gone after that Ga St. game.

Mora has his work cut out for him this offseason and it start now. Get a better OC that has a track record of innovative offenses and developing QBs. Hell, maybe Dino Babers will take the position (yes, I know I might be dreaming). With football trending towards more offense, UConn cannot remain this inept on offense-it's pathetic and frankly horse manure.
Get a DC-Mora can't be doing double duty. It's why there were so many fundamental and mental breakdowns on D. A designated DC that is dedicated only that that side of the ball is needed.

The transfer portal has to be good. This year, the transfers did next to nothing.
I also saw some things I didn’t like with Rosa. The kid is a stud with all kinds of potentiaL He underperformed this year - for him - and I blame coaches for this. Over-reacting to his very slight celebration on the NC State game, Mora making comments he was a 3rd stringer when his name was added to a national watch for running excellence. Nice motivator, Jim. And you wonder what you lost key players this season?

Biggest issue was watching some very talented players seemingly unprepared to step up at game defining moments. We didn’t run to the action but away from it.

Even Today before the first half and we’re in UMass territory with a minute to go. What do we do? We run down the clock like it’s the end of a game.…

I am all for setting high expectations but maybe Mora needs to simply play game by game and stop speculating mid-season on what things might make us better. Just play each game like it’s our last. That’s all I want to see next year is our team bringing it week in and week out. No plays off.

Reaction Score
Offense played poorly and we still won.

We’re clearly a level up from UMass.

Watching the game was fun. Nice way to end the season.

Roberson is not the answer.

We need a QB who can hit WRs in stride.

Onwards.

Reaction Score
On a side note, the team needs to wear these beauties more next season. The Block C is a classic look and still represents the most success UConn football ever had.

UConn FB helmet 2023 G11-12.jpg

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
It isn’t good. They had 5 games where they were long shots. So, its a 7 game season, They went 3-4 in those games. Should have been 5-2.

I’d say reasonable record this year, looking back, is 5-7.

The 4 P5 games and JMU, flat out not enough talent.

The FIU, USF and Utah State games decided the season.

They may have to re-think schedule if they can’t get better players year in and year out. You can’t have that many games against P5 schools without increasing your talent base. TBH, our talent looked fine in the G5 games.
We lost to BC by a touchdown and were in the NC State game right until the end. Both were winnable games.

Reaction Score
We lost to BC by a touchdown and were in the NC State game right until the end. Both were winnable games.
We are 2-19 vs P4 teams since the end of the BIG East. John is absolutely right. We can’t expect to have lots Of success when we only play 7 winnable games. Even NC State and BC we we dominated in every statistical category. The scores were close but the games weren’t that close.

Reaction Score
I also saw some things I didn’t like with Rosa. The kid is a stud with all kinds of potentiaL He underperformed this year - for him - and I blame coaches for this. Over-reacting to his very slight celebration on the NC State game, Mora making comments he was a 3rd stringer when his name was added to a national watch for running excellence. Nice motivator, Jim. And you wonder what you lost key players this season?

Biggest issue was watching some very talented players seemingly unprepared to step up at game defining moments. We didn’t run to the action but away from it.

Even Today before the first half and we’re in UMass territory with a minute to go. What do we do? We run down the clock like it’s the end of a game.…

I am all for setting high expectations but maybe Mora needs to simply play game by game and stop speculating mid-season on what things might make us better. Just play each game like it’s our last. That’s all I want to see next year is our team bringing it week in and week out. No plays off.
Agree, however Mora needed to draw attention to the issues that he was facing above and beyond building the program the "old fashioned" way. Assuming the NIL stuff works out the way he wants(1.5mil), then you should be able to judge the job he does by the usual parameters, W's and L's. Many have pointed out how close we were to 6-6. If he is what he is supposed to be, once the OC, DC and NIL are not overwhelming issues, Coach Mora should be able to show his stuff.

Reaction Score
Back in the day beating Yale and UMass were the games that mattered most. I am always happy beating UMass. Getting the win today was important for the seniors. Saw Mitchell at the end of the S Florida game sitting on the bench as our offense came up short in another game and realizing how bad the season had gone. I felt really bad for him as he put so much into the program. The D today really set the tone and with our offense we needed that on the road. We should have had 40 plus points today and that has to get fixed. Having both bands at the game is a nice thing about his rivalry. With it being right after Thanksgiving the students will always be home so it removes some of the energy of a bigger crowd. Last year we ended with 2 losses and this year we end with 2 wins and a staff that says changes are needed. Let's get after it.

Reaction Score

“Very Slight Celebration” …come on it was a terrible penalty and doomed the momentum we had, very big deal.

Plus, Houston & Brewton transferred because Rosa was given the lion’s share of touches early. Houston has a legit gripe as he was our best RB in 2022.

Reaction Score
It isn’t good. They had 5 games where they were long shots. So, its a 7 game season, They went 3-4 in those games. Should have been 5-2.

I’d say reasonable record this year, looking back, is 5-7.

The 4 P5 games and JMU, flat out not enough talent.

The FIU, USF and Utah State games decided the season.

They may have to re-think schedule if they can’t get better players year in and year out. You can’t have that many games against P5 schools without increasing your talent base. TBH, our talent looked fine in the G5 games.
Got to disagree. JMU was no better. NCState was marginally better. BC was marginally better. Poor play calling on the O and special teams murdered us. We weren’t nearly as out matched as the staff made us look. You can’t score 14 points a game and win, and you can’t give away field position and points on special teams and expect good things to happen.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
On a side note, the team needs to wear these beauties more next season. The Block C is a classic look and still represents the most success UConn football ever had.

View attachment 93402
If you were to take a national poll of college football fans, a clear majority would say that’s the best helmet we ever had.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom