UConn vs. USF Game Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn vs. USF Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I do give USF some credit. Still, the regulars being outscored by 9 for a half at home? This is a USF team that lost to ECU recently and beat Memphis by 4.

Eskapeesto

The specter of ExtraPesto is haunting the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Well that's anti-climactic. No trophy ceremony coverage on ESPN(3) or the AAC website.

Reaction Score
USF is a great team and deserve some credit for how the game turned out. That said I think we all saw some weak refs. Some of the fouls were so absurd even Rebecca and Bob commented on it. USF was 14-16 from the foul line.... Many of those points should not have been earned..... As far as Nurse between being a freshman... Her ankle... I will respect Kia .. . Let's give USF some credit

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Well that's anti-climactic. No trophy ceremony coverage on ESPN(3) or the AAC website.
Yeah I'm disappointed. Spent the whole season watching every last one of these mostly terrible AAC games and we can't even see the prize at the end of it all? Oh well I guess ESPN needs to dedicate coverage to that Furman-Wofford game where the two schools combined have about 25 alumni.

Reaction Score
Two things: Kia nurse never passes when she has a head full of steam wether someone is open or not. Moriah May mess around and win national player of the year next year.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I think fatigue was a factor. 3 games in 3 days. Sure at this point in the season they should be able to handle it...USF did, however, that doesn't mean that it wasn't a factor. I think it was. I saw KML, Nurse...and even Stewie looked like they were less energetic in the 2nd half. MoJeff was the energizer bunny...she never seems to get tired. Tuck didn't play a lot of minutes so the fatigue didn't seem to affect her as much.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Yeah I'm disappointed. Spent the whole season watching every last one of these mostly terrible AAC games and we can't even see the prize at the end of it all? Oh well I guess ESPN needs to dedicate coverage to that Furman-Wofford game where the two schools combined have about 25 alumni.

:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Muffet McGraw ( and every other team in the country for that matter) should send Jose Fernandez a thank you card after watching that game. Jose had a good game plan. If ND get to play UConn again, they're gonna just put the ball on the floor and take it to the rim aggresively. They either score or increase the odds of getting UConn in foul trouble. That's the only way to have any chance of beating UConn.

Reaction Score
if you watched this game and aren't a little concerned about the fact that USF scored 47 points in the second half...well, I know I am. Very reminiscent of Stanford with UConn guards unable to stay in front of opposing guards. Seems like UConn players were going under ball screens the whole game...maybe that was by design...but still worrisome. There probably aren't too many teams in the country that can put 3-4 quick scorers on the floor at the same time like USF...but still worrisome. Two weeks to work on it.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
if you watched this game and aren't a little concerned about the fact that USF scored 47 points in the second half...well, I know I am. Very reminiscent of Stanford with UConn guards unable to stay in front of opposing guards. Seems like UConn players were going under ball screens the whole game...maybe that was by design...but still worrisome. There probably aren't too many teams in the country that can put 3-4 quick scorers on the floor at the same time like USF...but still worrisome. Two weeks to work on it.

Don't worry - be happy :) Did we not just win our Conference Championship?

Reaction Score
Muffet McGraw ( and every other team in the country for that matter) should send Jose Fernandez a thank you card after watching that game. Jose had a good game plan. If ND get to play UConn again, they're gonna just put the ball on the floor and take it to the rim aggresively. They either score or increase the odds of getting UConn in foul trouble. That's the only way to have any chance of beating UConn.

Sure - but other than Loyd and their pg what other guards do they have to do that? Stewie is going to be guarding Turner. SO who else?

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Funny how UConn's "bad" halves are typically better than anyone else's "good" ones.

Wondering if the ankle was bothering Kia tonight. Good to play a decent team tonight. Good prep for the tourney run.

JS

Reaction Score
Very reminiscent of Stanford with UConn guards unable to stay in front of opposing guards.
Yep. Teams with very quick penetrating guards can give UConn some trouble.

Would've liked to have seen Stokes used more as a solution to that. The calls on her, one of which drew justifiable boos, didn't help.

I thought USF played inspired ball and shot very well, especially from 3. Don't think they're capable of playing better than that. Good job.

UConn's worst fault in the second half was forcing passes into the paint. Yes, exploit the size advantage, but not with so much risky stuff. Note that UConn doubled up USF -- on turnovers.

Agree with those who think it was a good stiff test; will keep everyone from a sense of entitlement.

Reaction Score
Allen?

The thing is- Notre Dame is built similar to like us. They go with two big posts. They have a few slower shooters at the wing. They don't have 4 players quick off the dribble - they have 2.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Jeez, they won by 16 points against a good team. Sixteen points is considered a pretty hefty margin in other parts of the country.

Everyone is playing "win or go home" now so UConn is going to get everyone's 1000% best effort every game from here on out. I'd be shocked - shocked! - if Geno weren't aware of this and telling the team something similar. But the season up to Friday was practice for the post-season and while Geno will keep teaching and coaching even he would be happy for a 1 point win if it means advancing to the next round.

Last edited:

JS

Reaction Score
Jeez, they won by 16 points against a good team. Sixteen points is considered a pretty hefty margin in other parts of the country.
Fourteen points, not so much.

Reaction Score

Sure you can be "concerned" but what does "concerned" mean in this context? Would you take "the field" or take UCONN?

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Not sure what people are complaining about. USF is playing better than anyone we've played in a while. They're making shots, they are dribble driving, they're playing hard. I'm actually liking their play. Give them a lot of credit. I don't think we're playing bad, USF is playing well. They're going to be a tough out in the NCAA if they play like this. Geno is not complaining to the refs, nor calling out his players. I think he's going to give USF a lot of credit after the game.
The second half, he was coming out of his skin re all the horrible offensive possessions on offense, and so many uncontested shots given up on defense in the 2nd half. We watched him every play as he was diagonall across from us!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom