'UCONN: The One That Got Away' | Page 3 | The Boneyard

'UCONN: The One That Got Away'

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Reaction Score
To stimpy, leagues are athletic confederations only. He doesn't mind if the universities have little in common and despise each other, as long as the sports is good. The ACC does have good sports. But for those who want to be in an athletic conference that is a group of friendly allies who like one another and help one another, the B1G is more attractive.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It helps to look at this from the opposite direction.

Would PC vote to add UConn to the NBE? No. Why? Because, it's a bigger better program and a threat. Same for WF, GaTech, NC State, Pitt
Would SH vote to add UConn to the NBE? No. Why? Because, it's a bigger draw within it's own market and a threat. Same for BC, Cuse,
That's 6 of 14 ACC schools. ND is a no because ND is arrogant and only want to play certain schools, UConn isn't one of them.

Miami, Clemson, FSU and VT are No's because they think we can't play FB and don't recruit in New England, NY, NJ. That's 11 no votes.

UNC, Duke, UVA, and UL are the only schools that respect UConn without being afraid. The only way the ACC comes calling is out of desperation or $$$.

The BIG looks at it in a completely different fashion. UConn is a potential market, and an investment in future growth that can pay its own way in TV dollars and in range of the conference mean academically. Nothing that needs to be snapped up immediately, but one of several options that may be considered in the future.

Reaction Score
To stimpy, leagues are athletic confederations only. He doesn't mind if the universities have little in common and despise each other, as long as the sports is good. The ACC does have good sports. But for those who want to be in an athletic conference that is a group of friendly allies who like one another and help one another, the B1G is more attractive.

If you honestly believe this about the Big Ten, your awakening will be more rude than Penn State's has been. As for the ACC, there isn't an atmosphere of universities despising one another anyway, but the sports are very good, likely the best nationally.

Reaction Score
It helps to look at this from the opposite direction.

Would PC vote to add UConn to the NBE? No. Why? Because, it's a bigger better program and a threat. Same for WF, GaTech, NC State, Pitt
Would SH vote to add UConn to the NBE? No. Why? Because, it's a bigger draw within it's own market and a threat. Same for BC, Cuse,
That's 6 of 14 ACC schools. ND is a no because ND is arrogant and only want to play certain schools, UConn isn't one of them.

Miami, Clemson, FSU and VT are No's because they think we can't play FB and don't recruit in New England, NY, NJ. That's 11 no votes.

UNC, Duke, UVA, and UL are the only schools that respect UConn without being afraid. The only way the ACC comes calling is out of desperation or $.

The BIG looks at it in a completely different fashion. UConn is a potential market, and an investment in future growth that can pay its own way in TV dollars and in range of the conference mean academically. Nothing that needs to be snapped up immediately, but one of several options that may be considered in the future.

How UConn could be in a position where many of the former conference mates in the Big East won't support continuing a relationship with UConn makes no sense, and I'm not sure that this is actually the case. It may be paranoia. It is the case with Boston College, but there was bad blood generated when BC left the BE. They are the exception. And the AD involved then has now left.

The ACC will add UConn if the $ makes sense. There won't be any desperation. The only desperation that has occurred was the Big Ten's addition of Maryland and Rutgers. The direct quote from Jim Delaney was "We felt threatened." And Maryland's move was desperate because their athletics department was falling apart due to mismanagement, and the Big Ten sold them on a possible lucrative business venture.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
How UConn could be in a position where many of the former conference mates in the Big East won't support continuing a relationship with UConn makes no sense, and I'm not sure that this is actually the case. It may be paranoia. It is the case with Boston College, but there was bad blood generated when BC left the BE. They are the exception. And the AD involved then has now left.

The ACC will add UConn if the $ makes sense. There won't be any desperation. The only desperation that has occurred was the Big Ten's addition of Maryland and Rutgers. The direct quote from Jim Delaney was "We felt threatened." And Maryland's move was desperate because their athletics department was falling apart due to mismanagement, and the Big Ten sold them on a possible lucrative business venture.

You are obviously not a history major or reader of newspapers. It takes a certain level of arrogance to be posting on a board where the average poster has a stronger grasp of CR and the history of the BE than some college presidents and media types and it is a strange way to spend ones' free time. We welcome outsiders here because we are not so closed minded, but don't be that guy.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
btstimpy said:

You need to get out more. There is a world outside of the Acc. I appreciate your support for Uconn to the Acc but am absolutely puzzled by you're lack of understanding of the big ten.

Reaction Score

I think there would be desperation if/when the ACC loses its lawsuit with MD (whether it is in the courts or via a settlement that is perceived as a MD win), and/or when two or more schools leave for greener outcomes (FSU, Clemson, VA), or if the P5 shows strong signs of becoming the P4. Imo, 75%, 50%, and 33% chance respectively.

Reaction Score

Seriously, how many times must it be explained to you?

With links even.

There are links of Boehim and Gross being against UConn.

We've also repeatedly talked about some of the best players in BC and Syracuse football AND basketball history coming from Connecticut. Heck, BC's best players in the 1980s were all from Conn., Jay Murphy, John Garris, John Bagley, Michael Adams, etc.

Reaction Score
Seriously, how many times must it be explained to you?

With links even.

There are links of Boehim and Gross being against UConn.

We've also repeatedly talked about some of the best players in BC and Syracuse football AND basketball history coming from Connecticut. Heck, BC's best players in the 1980s were all from Conn., Jay Murphy, John Garris, John Bagley, Michael Adams, etc.
That was when BC and Syracuse played in a league that was only visible north of Washington, DC and east of Pittsburgh. The World has changed for both of them, and they both have access to much larger recruiting areas due to where they both are now playing. It's no longer the case that they have to fight with each other and UConn over 20 kids each year in Connecticut. And UConn can still get its share of them being in the AAC anyway. This is short sighted.

For football anyway they both will be required to recruit in the south if they want to win. UConn will too. In basketball, they can recruit nationally. Boston College in basketball, however, seem to want to develop minor league coaches by throwing them up against the hall of fame coaches in the ACC to see what happens. They tried it with an Ivy League Coach, and they are trying it again with a MAC Coach. Nothing against these coaches, but that is trial by fire. Virginia Tech was doing that. Now they've actually hired an experienced coach from a major conference.

Reaction Score
I think there would be desperation if/when the ACC loses its lawsuit with MD (whether it is in the courts or via a settlement that is perceived as a MD win), and/or when two or more schools leave for greener outcomes (FSU, Clemson, VA), or if the P5 shows strong signs of becoming the P4. Imo, 75%, 50%, and 33% chance respectively.

I'd change those odds to 10%, 5%, and 50% respectively. And on the P5 becoming P4, that will only happen if Texas decides to change conferences causing the Big XII to scatter to other conferences.

Reaction Score
I've known plenty of wahoos over the years and I still have my doubts that stimpy is a real wahoo. At a minimum he is nothing like any hoo that graduated from Thomas Jefferson's grand academic institution at any point prior to 1995.
BS in May, 1986 to be specific. Seems like yesterday, but it was a long time ago. Georgia Tech grad school MS in December, 1987.

Reaction Score
I'd change those odds to 10%, 5%, and 50% respectively. And on the P5 becoming P4, that will only happen if Texas decides to change conferences causing the Big XII to scatter to other conferences.
We can agree to disagree but my logic is based on the ACC not wanting to go to court (to avoid discovery), so therefore MD's "win" and the potential reaction by other conferences and ACC schools to then talk about movement. Desparation then sets in because whatever hopes of an ACC Network then completely die off and institutional confidence in a comparative "rich" ACC future die off as well.

Reaction Score
That was when BC and Syracuse played in a league that was only visible north of Washington, DC and east of Pittsburgh. The World has changed for both of them, and they both have access to much larger recruiting areas due to where they both are now playing. It's no longer the case that they have to fight with each other and UConn over 20 kids each year in Connecticut. And UConn can still get its share of them being in the AAC anyway. This is short sighted.

For football anyway they both will be required to recruit in the south if they want to win. UConn will too. In basketball, they can recruit nationally. Boston College in basketball, however, seem to want to develop minor league coaches by throwing them up against the hall of fame coaches in the ACC to see what happens. They tried it with an Ivy League Coach, and they are trying it again with a MAC Coach. Nothing against these coaches, but that is trial by fire. Virginia Tech was doing that. Now they've actually hired an experienced coach from a major conference.

And yet BC and Syracuse are still so worried about UConn that they are against adding it. Seriously, what more needs to even be said?

Reaction Score
And yet BC and Syracuse are still so worried about UConn that they are against adding it. Seriously, what more needs to even be said?
I hear you, but come on there are 3 schools within 20 miles of each other in North Carolina in the ACC, and Virginia and Virginia Tech share a state for recruiting. It is a stupid reason for them to have. You'd think they would want more local rivalries.

Reaction Score
We can agree to disagree but my logic is based on the ACC not wanting to go to court (to avoid discovery), so therefore MD's "win" and the potential reaction by other conferences and ACC schools to then talk about movement. Desparation then sets in because whatever hopes of an ACC Network then completely die off and institutional confidence in a comparative "rich" ACC future die off as well.

We can agree to disagree. You think that there is something to discover. I'm confident that there isn't.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
I hear you, but come on there are 3 schools within 20 miles of each other in North Carolina in the ACC, and Virginia and Virginia Tech share a state for recruiting. It is a stupid reason for them to have. You'd think they would want more local rivalries.

Correct, you think they would like to build their own faction of influence within the ACC. Instead they appear to be content to go it alone. If there is anything UConn and the former BE schools (the lot of them) should have learned it's the importance of interschool cooperation. The C7 had it out of necessity, but at least they had it.

Reaction Score

But we're explaining why we despise the ACC for the whole way Swofford went about it, and the fact that several programs inside the conference want to see UConn die. This is the main reason why the ACC gets so much you-know-what on this board.

Reaction Score
The only desperation that has occurred was the Big Ten's addition of Maryland and Rutgers. The direct quote from Jim Delaney was "We felt threatened." And Maryland's move was desperate because their athletics department was falling apart due to mismanagement, and the Big Ten sold them on a possible lucrative business venture.
Let's see, B1G adds state flagship research universities who share a similar mission to all other schools in their conference after a very long vetting process; the ACC, who is caught off guard at UMd leaving, adds UL in a matter of months, a school with nothing in common w/ the ACC universities. All this while FSU and Clemson are rumored to be heading to the B12 if they don't get their way. The ACC bends over to get ND in the conference in all sports except for the one that they are truly known for. Which sounds desperate to you?

Reaction Score
Let's see, B1G adds state flagship research universities who share a similar mission to all other schools in their conference after a very long vetting process; the ACC, who is caught off guard at UMd leaving, adds UL in a matter of months, a school with nothing in common w/ the ACC universities. All this while FSU and Clemson are rumored to be heading to the B12 if they don't get their way. The ACC bends over to get ND in the conference in all sports except for the one that they are truly known for. Which sounds desperate to you?

ACC added UL in 4 days after UMd left. The ACC had been vetting candidates for 18 months. Jim Delaney's direct comment was "We felt threatened." The PAC 12 had just rejected his scheduling alliance idea, and he had just lost Notre Dame for forever or at least until forever after he is retired. I know who was desperate. Barry Alvarez of Wisconsin and Gene Smith of Ohio State have both said that they were worried about losing Penn State. Those are sounds you need to listen to.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If the ACC were to ever implode, UVA would certainly go to the B1G. The UVA Board of Visitors would never allow their school to be a part of the SEC.

The UNC administration would feel the same way.

However, UNC fans would want the SEC overwhelmingly. They would want annual rivalry games with border states SC, Georgia, and, Tennessee, over OSU, UM, and, MSU. As much as I respect those programs, and, their histories, I have zero desire to venture to Columbus, Ann Arbor, or, East Lansing for games.

We have attendance issues now. If Carolina ever joined the B1G, I believe the fanbase would be in complete revolt, and, you'd REALLY see how empty our venues would be.
Kudo's to you SouthronCross Im sorry you're sorta caught in the crossfire as u ring genuine but certain others seem to like fanning the flames with arrogance. I for one listen to what you say intently. Some of the "others" ACC posters post have a bad smell to them but you'res are welcome with me.

Reaction Score
If the ACC were to ever implode, UVA would certainly go to the B1G. The UVA Board of Visitors would never allow their school to be a part of the SEC.

The UNC administration would feel the same way.

However, UNC fans would want the SEC overwhelmingly. They would want annual rivalry games with border states SC, Georgia, and, Tennessee, over OSU, UM, and, MSU. As much as I respect those programs, and, their histories, I have zero desire to venture to Columbus, Ann Arbor, or, East Lansing for games.

We have attendance issues now. If Carolina ever joined the B1G, I believe the fanbase would be in complete revolt, and, you'd REALLY see how empty our venues would be.
Like you SC but have to disagree here as B1G fans can take over stadiums even at away games....What NC fans don't show 20 B1G fans will take their place and seats and you're attencence would probably IMPROVE !! I know RU is worried cause 4 or 5 B1G school's fans are buying season ticket's to go to 1 single RU game and are willing to pay exorbitant prices.No contest here the ACC has horrible attendance problems at many school's....the "U" gets way more fans at OOC away games than at home games(I saw 1 game est 300 fannies) and their 1 of the ACC's highlighted FB programs....theres FSU,Clemson and who? VT maybe but who else?

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
RU is worried that people are buying tickets? I guess they really thought giving them away was the right thing to do.

Reaction Score
ACC added UL in 4 days after UMd left. The ACC had been vetting candidates for 18 months. Jim Delaney's direct comment was "We felt threatened." The PAC 12 had just rejected his scheduling alliance idea, and he had just lost Notre Dame for forever or at least until forever after he is retired. I know who was desperate. Barry Alvarez of Wisconsin and Gene Smith of Ohio State have both said that they were worried about losing Penn State. Those are sounds you need to listen to.
You're either in denial or delusional, not sure yet. As Seea Blue stated, one league jacked up their exit fee, gave a sweetheart deal to ND for all sports but the one they're famous for, and invited a school that has ZERO in common with the rest of the schools in the league. The other conference stuck to their consistent approach of adding state flagships to help their network.

pj

Reaction Score

Yes, they were worried about losing Penn State, they needed more of an eastern presence, and they got it. Worrying is not a sign of desperation, it is a sign of a proactive person who recognizes future threats and preempts them. Whereas waiting for a departure to actually happen, and then scrambling to find a replacement, and in a period of 4 days reversing the long-planned choice of replacement based on lobbying, is desperation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom