'UCONN: The One That Got Away' | Page 8 | The Boneyard

'UCONN: The One That Got Away'

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yes, that would ok, as that nitwit AD didn't say this, ie " wants Uconn sports to die ".. only that he did not want Uconn in the ACC. But why are you bringing up the since retired BC's AD's words, when the also since retired Calhoun said he didn't want to ever see the Uconn school ever play BC again in anything, but the 2 schools got together anyway to schedule future basketball and hockey games, and then reports surfaced ( accurate or not ) that Calhoun would consider coaching at BC. Do you agree with the Calhoun's heat of the moment words that Uconn and BC should never schedule any games with one another ever again ? O do BOTH these former employees at their former schools words need to be now viewed as ancient history ? Just asking mind you.
Of course the GDF was still at BCU when they blocked Connecticut the first time... and he publically admitted it, but I'm sure that you are right and he's wrong. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
ND indeed does " look out for itself first" but as much as I'm no fan of ND, I recognize that all schools" look out for itself first", as this is the fiduciary responsibility that all school officials have as their calling, as its the schools that pay them for that duty to their employer.
But then don't preach a different message on Sundays....that is all I am saying! Be honest and stay true. Think the Big East Catholic 7, who gave ND the most support and vice versa, well what happened. The Catholic 7 will NEVER be the same again. They won't blame ND because they would only have themselves to blame. Instead they will continue to blame the football schools. Well, the football schools left and now what do they have -Fox Sports! Awesome, meanwhile ND still has NBC and the ACC has ESPN. So the NBE lost, ND stayed the same, and the ACC is convinced they won.

Well, time will tell but in order for this model to hold out there can be NO further realignment - if there is, I suspect the ACC will be the losers! UConn could surpass the ACC and possibly even ND depending on the BIG money should they get the invite. Just imagine the SU talk then???

One other question I do have, would the University of Buffalo be the other school to go to the BIG...I mean they too are making investments and have AAU? Just asking, I mean the BIG took Rutgers. And no that is not a knock on Rutgers. Its a fair point Rutgers has AAU too and UB is trying to become NY's Teams. Is it possible???? Reality can be stranger than fiction!

Reaction Score
Of course the GDF was still at BCU when they blocked Connecticut the first time... and he publically admitted it, but I'm sure that you are right and he's wrong. :rolleyes:
jeesh.. I never said that the former BC AD didn't want Uconn in the ACC. So I really have no idea where you are going with this, nor what it has to do with the thread topic, nor my comments, observations, assessments here. Also, for the record, since you brought it up. BC had then, nor has now ( with a new AD ), no unilateral authority to " block Uconn to the ACC," as they only have one vote among many and we've already allegedly established on here it seems that the former BC AD supposedly was not liked by his other ACC school peers. So he either had a lot of sway, muscle power and influence in the ACC , and this persuasive power single handedly " blocked Uconn to the ACC", or he was disliked in the ACC, had no influence beyond his own vote, and thats that. But this is all ancient history here, including JC's comments to " never schedule BC ever again in anything " and all that. If a league wants Uconn, they will have the votes, no matter what happens at Syracuse, BC, Pitt, etc. or what their sentiments on this issue might be in the future.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
But then don't preach a different message on Sundays....that is all I am saying! Be honest and stay true. T
I don't go to Church on Sundays,( nor on any other day of the week for that matter). I don' t look for " truth " in my college sports, as its all big biz, and money driven, and not a single major college in sports is not without unclean hands and with so called " moral issue " failures that are wrong and embarrassing if we're " honest and true " with ourselves re. all this stuff. If I'm looking for purity of motives, and proper ethical, moral, and religious behaviours, major college sports, among ANY school, is not where I'm going to look for it. Thats my 2 cents of Sunday like "sermonizing " on this, anyway.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Do you claim to be a preacher? I didn't think so, But ND does make the claim to be a Catholic University. Therefore, I say hypocrisy! Until they became just another private school, I am sorry, they can't have it both ways!

Reaction Score
But then don't preach a

One other question I do have, would the University of Buffalo be the other school to go to the BIG..

I'm pretty sure this is asked tongue in cheek. But no, just because a school decides to invest millions in their facilities, no school, nor any league, is compelled to act in some certain way favorable to that school based upon what that school has chosen to do for themselves. Temple, at the other end of the spectrum, failed to invest in their facilities ( as is their right ), and the BE ( as is their right likewise), as I'm sure you're aware, voted, then booted Temple out of the former BE football league

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Do you claim to be a preacher? I didn't think so, But ND does make the claim to be a Catholic University. Therefore, I say hypocrisy! Until they became just another private school, I am sorry, they can't have it both ways!
I'm no expert on" Catholicism".. nor " Mormonism", nor " Islamism " nor" Southern Baptisms ", etc, nor if SMU will be acting like " good Methodists " in the AAC., and all that. I have no idea.. and I don't know what all that institutional " isms "means in all this, anyway... nor frankly care about any of this. But maybe others here do, and thats cool and all too. I'm no fan of ND, but its got nothing to do with their religion, nor what they choose to do on their Sundays ( or any other day of the week, or off the competition fields for that matter ). Do we judge Uconn student- athletes by what they do when not on the basketball court ? I don't. I don't care. Whether they graduate, or not, is no concern of mine... nor even when BC ( and other schools in the majors)pushes the nonsense that they graduate almost all their players. So what ? I didn't go to that school, so what they do off the court, fields, etc is irrelevant to me as well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
jeesh.. I never said that the former BC AD didn't want Uconn in the ACC. So I really have no idea where you are going with this, nor what it has to do with the thread topic, nor my comments, observations, assessments here. Also, for the record, since you brought it up. BC had then, nor has now ( with a new AD ), any unilateral authority to " block Uconn to the ACC," as they only have one vote among many and we've already allegedly established on here it seems that the former BC AD supposedly was not liked by his other ACC school peers. So he either had a lot of sway, muscle power and influence in the ACC , and this persuasive power single handedly " blocked Uconn to the ACC", or he was disliked in the ACC, had no influence beyond his own vote, and thats that. But this is all ancient history here, including JC's comments to " never schedule BC ever again in anything " and all that. If a league wants Uconn, they will have the votes, no matter what happens at Syracuse, BC, Pitt, etc. or what their sentiments on this issue might be in the future.
Interpret Flippers comments any way you like...from USA Today October 2011:
BC athletics director Gene DeFilippo seemingly confirmed what many had been reporting/presuming over the past month -- that BC blocked UConn from receiving an invite to the ACC.
"We didn't want them in,'' DeFilippo told the Globe. "It was a matter of turf. We wanted to be the New England team.''

Reaction Score
Interpret Flippers comments any way you like...from USA Today October 2011:
BC athletics director Gene DeFilippo seemingly confirmed what many had been reporting/presuming over the past month -- that BC blocked UConn from receiving an invite to the ACC.
"We didn't want them in,'' DeFilippo told the Globe. "It was a matter of turf. We wanted to be the New England team.''

I think I agreed on 3 occasions on this very thread that BC's former AD did not want Uconn in the ACC. We agree on this. The only thing in dispute is whether or not he had the unilateral power and influence with the other dozen or so ACC members to " block Uconn to the ACC ". I don't believe that this former BC AD had the power and influence that some appear to believe he had over the others, to lead a majority in the ACC to block Uconn. But if for whatever reason your assessment ( and others ) is that BC has this enormous power and influence over the others in the ACC to get BC's wishes to prevail in the ACC, then I'll will accept this assessment of yours ( and anyone else's ) in this regard. But I just don't think BC can make Swofford and the others do what some claim he could make them do, if the ACC really wanted Uconn.. But whatever. Moving forward, BC has a new AD, and the former BC AD is now irrelevant and ancient history now. If some league.. ACC, BIG, B12, wants Uconn they will invite them, and no single school, or even 2-3 schools can keep Uconn out. Uconn is not a sideline observer. If they control the things they can and do control... like win football games in the AAC,.. they will find a league to invite them soon enough. Uconn just won a National Championship in Men's Basketball and they did not need the ACC, nor the BIG to accomplish this, nor was what any other school in the northeast was doing have any impact at all in their drive to that National Title. Winning takes care of everything, and it matters not what happened in the past, nor what other schools in a geographical proximity are doing. Win the AAC, something thats certainly doable with the level of teams in this league, and an invite to a better football oriented league will come, imo. Thats how I see it anyway.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
jeesh.. I never said that the former BC AD didn't want Uconn in the ACC. So I really have no idea where you are going with this, nor what it has to do with the thread topic, nor my comments, observations, assessments here. Also, for the record, since you brought it up. BC had then, nor has now ( with a new AD ), no unilateral authority to " block Uconn to the ACC," as they only have one vote among many and we've already allegedly established on here it seems that the former BC AD supposedly was not liked by his other ACC school peers. So he either had a lot of sway, muscle power and influence in the ACC , and this persuasive power single handedly " blocked Uconn to the ACC", or he was disliked in the ACC, had no influence beyond his own vote, and thats that. But this is all ancient history here, including JC's comments to " never schedule BC ever again in anything " and all that. If a league wants Uconn, they will have the votes, no matter what happens at Syracuse, BC, Pitt, etc. or what their sentiments on this issue might be in the future.
This has already been explained ad nauseum in this thread. If you care go back and reread the posts. (By the way if you are going to put text in quotes it's an accepted convention that it actually be a quote rather than a red herring you feel comfortable arguing against.) Your argument is sliding all over the place. We really need a better class of troll on this board.

Reaction Score
Yawkey, BC didn't solely block UConn, UM was right there with them. And those two could 'influence' fence sitters or indifferent parties at the table. Add to it FSU and Clemsons mini-power play against Tobacco Road and UConn never stood a chance.

Flippers quotes, BC's actions are the reasons ppl on this board have no doubt BC does in fact want UConn athletics to die. Your administration is so upset by the lawsuit that they advocate for the school (Pitt) who was spearheading the whole thing. So, it's not the lawsuit, it's the competition BC is afraid of. That is sad. It wouldn't be so bad if UConn wasn't ready to fully commit to compete at the highest level (like building a state of the art practice and workout facility (football is done, BB is underway), committing to a new rink, hiring first rate coaches, paying comparable salaries to Asst's as other 'P5's'. If that was the case, I'd understand BC blocking b/c we wouldn't have been fully invested. But Uconn is invested, has proven they can compete (and dominate in many sports) at the highest level. Only reason on the table is the fear of competing on a level playing field. It's weak and small minded.

Reaction Score
But then don't preach a different message on Sundays....that is all I am saying! Be honest and stay true. Think the Big East Catholic 7, who gave ND the most support and vice versa, well what happened. The Catholic 7 will NEVER be the same again. They won't blame ND because they would only have themselves to blame. Instead they will continue to blame the football schools. Well, the football schools left and now what do they have -Fox Sports! Awesome, meanwhile ND still has NBC and the ACC has ESPN. So the NBE lost, ND stayed the same, and the ACC is convinced they won.

Well, time will tell but in order for this model to hold out there can be NO further realignment - if there is, I suspect the ACC will be the losers! UConn could surpass the ACC and possibly even ND depending on the BIG money should they get the invite. Just imagine the SU talk then???

One other question I do have, would the University of Buffalo be the other school to go to the BIG...I mean they too are making investments and have AAU? Just asking, I mean the BIG took Rutgers. And no that is not a knock on Rutgers. Its a fair point Rutgers has AAU too and UB is trying to become NY's Teams. Is it possible???? Reality can be stranger than fiction!
I liked it with 1 caveat...u can't compare RU with UB....ridiculous...apples and oranges!!UB isn't even a brand in Buffalo(not to knock UB and there potential) and really I like UB but not SU whom certainly has lost most of their peak lustre in FB esp right here at home in the NE.

Reaction Score

btw I like the way you think straydog !!

Reaction Score
It all depends how the AAC develops as a league. You are looking at this from where it is now in its infancy. I do not dismiss the challenges and obstacles to overcome for Uconn football. I think ND is the wild card now in all this. The ACC is keeping a spot open for ND to come in as a full member. Its probably not going to happen right away, but if ND came in as the 15th member, the ACC would immediately go to 16, and my guess that 16th team becomes Uconn. ND is already a quasi member in football in the ACC ( with half their schedule guaranteed to be ACC teams.) The telling point for me with ND was that they bypassed the Big in its new Hockey league to have their Hockey program ask to be invited to Hockey East. .. and were accepted. That signifies that ND continues to look East , not Midwest. Uconn's acceptance into the Hockey East gets little mention on this site from my observation, but it is not insignificant in Uconn 's final destination in the future. ( I don't see Uconn withdrawing from HE, to go to the Big, and I see no evidence of any serious effort of the BIG to move further East, as Rutgers ( as crappy as they are ) give the BIG the TV concentration in the Big Apple they wanted. Uconn will be in the ACC in a couple of years, imo once they get their football program in fast accelearation and win out in the AAC
Disagree with you're last point...why open an office in NYC and leave Yonkers to Boston wide open to the ACC? I think you underestimate the B1G's and Delany's wisdom and ambition!!

Reaction Score
Keeping UConn out of the P5 kills UConn sports. You act like winning a national championship was somehow preordained. The difference between $2m and $25m is huge. UConn absolutely needs to get to a P5 conference. It's survival depends on it.
Kinda weird? He's appears too smart not to understand this simple fact!?!

Reaction Score
I liked it with 1 caveat...u can't compare RU with UB....ridiculous...apples and oranges!!UB isn't even a brand in Buffalo(not to knock UB and there potential) and really I like UB but not SU whom certainly has lost most of their peak lustre in FB esp right here at home in the NE.

Eh, I'd say UB definitely has Buffalo, but that's only 1 million people. Outside of here, there is little to no interest.

That being said, the athletic program is not destined for those bigger/better conferences. Unless they add hockey, they're not landing in a top conference.

Reaction Score
So this academic year, UConn has won 2 national championships, so far, and had another Final four team (mens soccer) and the year isn't over yet. When you look at BC or Syracuse at least they have one sport that they are good at. hockey for BC, lacrosse for Syracuse, though both are niche sports (and I say that as a huge hockey fan), but if I were doing which doesn't belong and why, and listed UConn, Michigan and Pitt, I think it would be pretty easy...

I don't want you to short change our National Championships scooter. We have actually won THREE this academic year. Uconn's Field Hockey (which is a big Olympic sport in ACC land) won it all in the fall.

Reaction Score
I think I agreed on 3 occasions on this very thread that BC's former AD did not want Uconn in the ACC. We agree on this. The only thing in dispute is whether or not he had the unilateral power and influence with the other dozen or so ACC members to " block Uconn to the ACC ". I don't believe that this former BC AD had the power and influence that some appear to believe he had over the others, to lead a majority in the ACC to block Uconn. But if for whatever reason your assessment ( and others ) is that BC has this enormous power and influence over the others in the ACC to get BC's wishes to prevail in the ACC, then I'll will accept this assessment of yours ( and anyone else's ) in this regard. But I just don't think BC can make Swofford and the others do what some claim he could make them do, if the ACC really wanted Uconn.. But whatever. Moving forward, BC has a new AD, and the former BC AD is now irrelevant and ancient history now. If some league.. ACC, BIG, B12, wants Uconn they will invite them, and no single school, or even 2-3 schools can keep Uconn out. Uconn is not a sideline observer. If they control the things they can and do control... like win football games in the AAC,.. they will find a league to invite them soon enough. Uconn just won a National Championship in Men's Basketball and they did not need the ACC, nor the BIG to accomplish this, nor was what any other school in the northeast was doing have any impact at all in their drive to that National Title. Winning takes care of everything, and it matters not what happened in the past, nor what other schools in a geographical proximity are doing. Win the AAC, something thats certainly doable with the level of teams in this league, and an invite to a better football oriented league will come, imo. Thats how I see it anyway.

It has little to do with the former AD. It comes from the President and board of trustees. The new AD went all out to block UConn in the last go round. And Duke and UNC's Pres. were incredulous at what BC was trying to do.

Reaction Score
I don't want you to short change our National Championships scooter. We have actually won THREE this academic year. Uconn's Field Hockey (which is a big Olympic sport in ACC land) won it all in the fall.
Yes. I wrote this post BEFORE the women's final, that's why I said the year isn't over yet. As a former athlete, I didn't want to jinx anybody...sort of like you don't mention a no hitter late in the game...

Reaction Score
Uconn is invested, has proven they can compete (and dominate in many sports) at the highest level. .

I'll accept this assessment.It means Uconn football, an unarguably camparatively new entry into major college football will win out in the AAC, and will be off soon to where they want to be... the BIG... and it really then won't matter what goes on at Syracuse, Miami, Pitt, Virginia Tech, BC, and the like. If the ACC is not interested in Uconn football, then this alone should inspire Uconn to rise up to be a suitable attraction to the Ohio States, Michigans, Wisconsins, Penn States in the BIG. If Uconn believes they should not be in the AAC, and should instead be in the BIG ( or the ACC), as I do, then going out and beating Cincy, UCF, USF, Houston, East Carolina, etc these next couple of years in football gets it done, imo. Uconn's football future is ahead of them. They may not have been able to control events in the past, but as a comparatively new entry into major college football, Uconn alone controls their football future, and that knowledge alone should make Uconn football fans confident and optimistic that bright days are ahead for them as they go about beating the football opponents in a league many Uconn fans believe is beneath them now based upon Uconn's recent successes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Disagree with you're last point...why open an office in NYC and leave Yonkers to Boston wide open to the ACC? I think you underestimate the B1G's and Delany's wisdom and ambition!!
It would be wonderful if Uconn is invited to the BIG. I go to Uconn games as well as to BC games ( although more BC games, living in Greater Boston ), and if Uconn gets an invite to the BIG, it will increase the quality of the teams and games I get to view in New England by that much more. The ACC responded to the BIG taking Rutgers and Maryland, by taking Louisville, and ND as a 5 game ACC footballer, and full ACC'er in everything else. If the Big takes Uconn, that adds even more quality teams for home games within the 2 hour drive between Boston and Hartford. Thats a New England college football fan's home run, imo.

Reaction Score
It has little to do with the former AD. It comes from the President and board of trustees. The new AD went all out to block UConn in the last go round. And Duke and UNC's Pres. were incredulous at what BC was trying to do.
I think its now up to 4 times on this thread that I stated that we all agree here that BC.... the school...does not want Uconn in the ACC. ( and of course, several other ACC schools as well ) I hope its clear by now, that I don't disagree here with this assessment that is being made re. BC's position on this... essentially unchanged from day one as it appears to me. I don't know why there is apparently still a misunderstanding on what is essentially a mutual agreement on this point.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'll accept this assessment.It means Uconn football, an unarguably camparatively new entry into major college football will win out in the AAC, and will be off soon to where they want to be... the BIG... and it really then won't matter what goes on at Syracuse, Miami, Pitt, Virginia Tech, BC, and the like. If the ACC is not interested in Uconn football, then this alone should inspire Uconn to rise up to be a suitable attraction to the Ohio States, Michigans, Wisconsins, Penn States in the BIG. If Uconn believes they should not be in the AAC, and should instead be in the BIG ( or the ACC), as I do, then going out and beating Cincy, UCF, USF, Houston, East Carolina, etc these next couple of years in football gets it done, imo. Uconn's football future is ahead of them. They may not have been able to control events in the past, but as a comparatively new entry into major college football, Uconn alone controls their football future, and that knowledge alone should make Uconn football fans confident and optimistic that bright days are ahead for them as they go about beating the football opponents in a league many Uconn fans believe is beneath them now based upon Uconn's recent successes.
The posts have been about BC's cowardice and chicken way of doing business. BC couldn't win the AAC, so don't use that as the barometer of UConn belonging. The AAC champ SMOKED the B12 champ in the Fiesta, the FB ain't as bad as you're trying to make it out to be. Carry on with your deflecting rep,y posts and straw man arguments.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It all depends how the AAC develops as a league. You are looking at this from where it is now in its infancy.

I wish there was a silver lining in there, but there's not.

The entire AAC makes about what Wake Forest does on television money and that really will not change. The conference can get a bump after a look-in if things go well, but let's be honest - if the contract doubles, it's still only $3M per team.

We have a $70M athletic program that we're now going to try to run on a steady diet of teams like Tulsa, East Carolina and Tulane. And we're doing it in a time where the P5 conference are rearranging the world to suit themselves - they've taken all of the bowl tie-ins, they'll make their own set of rules, and they're going to use the gap in cash to gap the AAC, etc.

Long-term, we run out of oxygen in the AAC.

And as for the 'you guys just need to win' spiel, when the last round of expansion kicked off, we were coming off an appearance in the Fiesta Bowl and a hoop national championship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom