UConn (only) recruiting speculation (merged) | Page 12 | The Boneyard

UConn (only) recruiting speculation (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
IMO - below are the positions but that’s probably not your point. But just remember if they get two Bigs - players of A/A caliber then there is no way "everyone is going to eat." And if you get two posts that are a/a caliber more than likely the past fad of "press press press" has been tossed aside for a new fashion statement.

1--- Morgan Cheli is also a SF/PF along with a pg (not just a guard).
2--- Ducharme is a Wing and PF. (not just a guard).
3--- Q is a Wing. (not just a guard).
4--- Aubrey is a SF/PF. (not a guard).
5-- Allie is a Wing (not just a guard).
6--- Ayanna Patterson is a PF/C (not a Wing)
7--- Paige is also a SF(when UCONN plays KK, Azzi, and Paige which would be a common lineup - Paige will play SF).

I can see trying to get a Big and a Wing – of which the Wing is not a College A/a while the Big is. I'll just leave it at that other that there are ramifcation doing this with two Bigs which are A/A caliber.
I agree with your positioning ideas, though I'd probably limit Allie to sg, as opposed to wing, unless we think of that position as just a third guard. And I'm not sure Caroline is really a guard. She looks like a wing/pf to me, same for Q. The thought experiment I'd use is, can I imagine using them to break the press with their ball handling skills. Sure, they could receive a pass at halfcourt to help with the press. But if they don't have the handles and the foot speed to help break the press, then they're not really a guard at other times either.

Also, I'm not sure what a SF is if not a wing. I think of wing/sf as a perimeter shooter who can slash to the rim to score and rebound and help out with interior defense. This looks like Caroline and Q but not exactly how I expect Allie to play -- unless she really is 6'0" and not the 5'10 she looks like to me.

Morgan and Sarah are the odd figures in all this because they look like guards in PF bodies. This says they can play 4 positions, though what fits best for each of them may differ. Morgan looks exactly like a 3/4 who can also break the press or play the press. Sarah looks more like a quick-footed high post passer with perimeter shooting skills and the skills and strength to play the low post when needed. She can probably break the press too, but that's not how I'd like to allocate her time.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
@Bone Dog and @hoophuskee - I appreciate your responses! I'm not an expert on BB, and I was just thinking fluidity of lineups, how some guards can be wings (SF?), and forwards and centers can sometimes interchange. Wiith Paige as our F this past season, and with what Strong can do from multiple spots on the floor, it shows that it's not so much positionless, but a multi-position opportunity. It was funny when Reagan portaled, and I thought, ooh, a big, then Kiki, and I thought, ooh, an Aaliyah type player and completely pushed aside any guards that might be avaialbe, especially after our "lack of size" this season

Reaction Score
I doubt if you will see Carolyn DuCharme play major minutes or any at all...Ayanna Patterson is intriguing? In HS she was a dunker and obviously she had a bum knee the first year. - Jana, was amazing before she hurt her achilles which is a serious injury. She will not be ready to play a full on game until the 2nd half of the season. - I am seeing Uconn starting with 9- 10 players and slowly playing the injured players, if they don't get anyone from the portal? Expect an injury or two, hopefully not too serious. - So I definitely see Geno taking a big or two; a centre is preferable. Nothing with UConn's roster has been black or white the last two years.

Reaction Score
I agree with your positioning ideas, though I'd probably limit Allie to sg, as opposed to wing, unless we think of that position as just a third guard. And I'm not sure Caroline is really a guard. She looks like a wing/pf to me, same for Q. The thought experiment I'd use is, can I imagine using them to break the press with their ball handling skills. Sure, they could receive a pass at halfcourt to help with the press. But if they don't have the handles and the foot speed to help break the press, then they're not really a guard at other times either.

Also, I'm not sure what a SF is if not a wing. I think of wing/sf as a perimeter shooter who can slash to the rim to score and rebound and help out with interior defense. This looks like Caroline and Q but not exactly how I expect Allie to play -- unless she really is 6'0" and not the 5'10 she looks like to me.

Morgan and Sarah are the odd figures in all this because they look like guards in PF bodies. This says they can play 4 positions, though what fits best for each of them may differ. Morgan looks exactly like a 3/4 who can also break the press or play the press. Sarah looks more like a quick-footed high post passer with perimeter shooting skills and the skills and strength to play the low post when needed. She can probably break the press too, but that's not how I'd like to allocate her time.
Hello BD-- not important just having fun with our conversation- no big deal - Please don’t take my reply other than for fun. Just my interpretation.

We can agree to disagree with Allie. I see her as both as of right now because I thought it was mentioned she is also driver to the basket.
I think Carolne can be a SG. She is a SF and a PF. I don’t associate footspeed with guard play.
I don’t think Q as a PF though I understand she has played it but think she is must better suited as a Wing.

In regard to SF vs SG vs Wing -- I view a Shooting guard as someone who mostly hangs outside and is a shooter/ takes near all of her shots from the outside with limited facilitation that you'd see from a PG. I view a SF as someone who goes/can go inside and out. SO for example I view Azzi and Ashlynn as mostly SG's (imo Ashlynn’s "posts" are mostly outside of the box if one were to mention that she "posts") while I would not classify Aubrey as a SG because while she takes some mid-range jumpers, she also does much of her scoring inside. And I feel Sraha is going to be the same way. Thus neither player of Aubrey or Sarah is going to spend near all their time outside because both will score quite a bit on the inside too doing "PF things” i.e. back-to-the basket inside the lane scoring or offensive rebounding inside the lane.). While SG's do get ORebounds too - they are more positioned on the outside after a shot goes up - they are responsible to be the safety net defending offensive transition play.

So I further define a wing that they can do both inside and out. But For Sarah and Morgan - I think Morgan as more of a stretch-4 (I call a stretch 4 a PF too) along with a SF and PG. While I view Sarah as a "snap-of-the-fingers" within any aaly she can go inside-or out. For me that is not a SG. There are some games she might be used more inside (same with Aubrey) - so how view it - that that is not a SG or a Wing (A wing imo is a combo SG/SF).

Question for you and anyone else regarding this thread-- no right or wrong - just your preference. - DO you prefer a style UCONN should play at? SO, if you were Geno and you preferred let’s say - fastbreak - in terms of the players you are looking at now, would you still think two Posts of high caliber you wind up getting would alter your approach to fastbreak hoop? If no, then this would lead to speculation to get another player not a post maybe?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
@Bone Dog and @hoophuskee - I appreciate your responses! I'm not an expert on BB, and I was just thinking fluidity of lineups, how some guards can be wings (SF?), and forwards and centers can sometimes interchange. Wiith Paige as our F this past season, and with what Strong can do from multiple spots on the floor, it shows that it's not so much positionless, but a multi-position opportunity. It was funny when Reagan portaled, and I thought, ooh, a big, then Kiki, and I thought, ooh, an Aaliyah type player and completely pushed aside any guards that might be avaialbe, especially after our "lack of size" this season
I am totally with you -- and I'll try not to laugh at the "not an expert" remark :D -- about multi-position vs positionless offense. But I do think the example of Paige is peculiar and can even mislead. She is a genius who made the PF spot work because the team needed it... and she carried the team to the Final Four again by doing it. But it was definitely not the optimal place to play her, and I worried all season long about the wear and tear on her. That said, I fully expect that she'll be even better next season for the experience, and she'll have filed away in that giant brain of hers all the new perspectives she saw the game from this season.

And fluidity is what stands out for me -- it has limits, which means multi-position rather than merely positionless. But the more flexibility Geno has about how and where to play people, the stronger this team will be. This is also why I'm not so invested in the thought that we have to get a big from the portal. sure, Jana is raw, but the support she'll get from a fluid team will make all the difference, and alleviate a lot of the pressure on the post. If we add Raegan, that has huge advantages, but it means a less fluid lineup. Kiki less so.

I guess I look back at the Gabby-Katie Lou-Pheesa-Kia teams with great fondness. They didn't win and NC, but they were among the most fun to watch. next season, we could end up with a team like that: fluid positioning--lightning ball movement--aggressive defense--and anyone can initiate the break. It gives me chills just to think about those teams. I better go dig up a video from those two seasons just so I can calm down.
[Ooh, here's a good one! ]

I think Paige Sarah Azzi Morgan Jana could be a unit like that, and add in KK Ash Allie Caroline Q Ice Aubrey and Ayanna and it won't really matter that we don't always have a seasoned big on the floor at every moment. What will matter is that the Huskies are prepared to turn the slightest mistake by an opponent into a fast break. It's really unnerving to play against teams like that.

Reaction Score
I doubt if you will see Carolyn DuCharme play major minutes or any at all...Ayanna Patterson is intriguing? In HS she was a dunker and obviously she had a bum knee the first year. - Jana, was amazing before she hurt her achilles which is a serious injury. She will not be ready to play a full on game until the 2nd half of the season. - I am seeing Uconn starting with 9- 10 players and slowly playing the injured players, if they don't get anyone from the portal? Expect an injury or two, hopefully not too serious. - So I definitely see Geno taking a big or two; a centre is preferable. Nothing with UConn's roster has been black or white the last two years.
The thing is -- I think the Poster - "Vistingcocks" made a comment (I beleive it was him or her) that South Carolina played a core of 9 players this year. Right now UCONN has 13. Even if CD and AP don't play it's 11 then you add in 2 Bigs - and if both are A/A caliber (frankly I think no shot to get 2 both - but one - sure there is a shot) - you are going to have some players with very view minutes. Then you are going to get speculation "what’s Geno doing not playing . . ?"

And if either CD and/or AE are ready do play - it means even more crunched time. Which makes it harder to speculate on this thread!!!t:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom