UConn (only) recruiting speculation (merged) | The Boneyard

UConn (only) recruiting speculation (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
This thread is different from the other recruiting thread in that it allows for posting, well, speculation about which recruits might be a Husky. The other thread is for posting facts and not for extended conversations about a recruit.

A couple things about this thread:
  • It’s for UConn recruiting ONLY
  • No thread drifts into staring lineups, other schools, WNBA, etc. Stay on topic, please
  • Anyone trashing recruits, their teams, coaches, family members will be given a time out. We’re discussing teenagers that haven’t played a single minute of college ball. Please retain perspective

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Came across this today - thought it was interesting. I can’t imagine Geno doing this but we might want to keep it in mind when discussing recruits’ offer list

0C06F158-D85C-442F-8911-876887A5B177.jpeg

Reaction Score
Came across this today - thought it was interesting. I can’t imagine Geno doing this but we might want to keep it in mind when discussing recruits’ offer list

View attachment 99115
I agree with Clay that this is fairly common but a shady way to do business. Reputable coaches like Auriemma, Staley, etc. will generally communicate honestly with recruits about where they stand with their priority regarding their offer. If it's conditional on roster spot availability, academic projection, or another recruit's status they are usually up front with the kid. A current UConn possibility might be Emely Rodriguez but of course I have no indication of that.

Reaction Score
Seems to me that if Emely Rodriguez was made aware that her offer was conditional, she wouldn't have announced it or kept UConn in her final 5 that was released last week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I agree with Clay that this is fairly common but a shady way to do business. Reputable coaches like Auriemma, Staley, etc. will generally communicate honestly with recruits about where they stand with their priority regarding their offer. If it's conditional on roster spot availability, academic projection, or another recruit's status they are usually up front with the kid. A current UConn possibility might be Emely Rodriguez but of course I have no indication of that.
Would like some help to follow up on this conditional offer situation, specifically where does this leave Emely Rodriquez? With the declaration from Sarah Strong, UConn roster now full, 15 on scholarship? 6 months until new season, 5 players recovering from injury (Jana, Azzi, Aubrey, Ayanna, and Caroline). Jana and Ayanna looking ready for seasons start, Azzi and Aubrey probably going to play at some point later on in the season. Now for the question no one is asking... what about Caroline? She has had 6 months of rest and I would assume the best possible diagnoses and treatment for her condition. So, is she ready to play? Will she test this with some summer ball somewhere so the team would know if she can really play again? I feel that it is very important to the team and any conditional candidates to determine the status of that particular scholarship roster spot way before the season starts.

Reaction Score
Would like some help to follow up on this conditional offer situation, specifically where does this leave Emely Rodriquez? With the declaration from Sarah Strong, UConn roster now full, 15 on scholarship? 6 months until new season, 5 players recovering from injury (Jana, Azzi, Aubrey, Ayanna, and Caroline). Jana and Ayanna looking ready for seasons start, Azzi and Aubrey probably going to play at some point later on in the season. Now for the question no one is asking... what about Caroline? She has had 6 months of rest and I would assume the best possible diagnoses and treatment for her condition. So, is she ready to play? Will she test this with some summer ball somewhere so the team would know if she can really play again? I feel that it is very important to the team and any conditional candidates to determine the status of that particular scholarship roster spot way before the season starts.
Geno understands his roster spots way better than I (or we) do. I'm content with that knowledge.

Reaction Score
I would think UConn will notify her (Rodriguez) or them about their status as soon as they know their roster situation. And would try to do that prior to the end of the NLI signing period which begins April 17 and ends on May 15 if possible. Of course the kids are free to sign elsewhere if they have a more definite opportunity. I have no idea what Ducharme might do.

Reaction Score
Emely Rodriguez posted a picture on Instagram of South Carolina winning the championship....so that may be where she's aspiring to go.

Reaction Score
I think the best way to replace 6’6 is with 6’6. Pania Davis has the height and mobility. I think she’d be a great addition.

She’s intriguing, but I wonder how she’d compare against other DI players. The thing I like about her is that she seems versatile and can shoot shots from outside the lane. I haven’t seen any other clips, but I’d like to see what other post moves she has or other clips where she takes it up against taller defenders. But I definitely see potential!

freekimchee

food whisperer
Reaction Score
Coach loves his high IQ and experienced guards so I'm thinking he's getting Chen. As for the other spot, I think it's between Pania and Emely. VanSlooten would be really nice but my gut tells me she's heading home to tOSU.

Reaction Score
I think the best way to replace 6’6 is with 6’6. Pania Davis has the height and mobility. I think she’d be a great addition.

Interesting... I was not thinking of Pania Davis. " IN GENO WE TRUST"

Reaction Score
I like Pania. Getting her may even help with getting Somfai as well.
I was thinking that ANY reasonable 6'6" player ( like Amari ) would be
very beneficial as part of a "scout" team... Plus Pania may develop over
her two years. Time will Tell. I thought that this was to be Amari's
role moving forward this year.

Reaction Score
Charlie Creme's not to early list 6 of the top 10 teams are longer than us. Why not go all in on Pania. Let her and Jana grow together. Trying to hold the paint with smaller players led to a lot of wide open 3 pointers last season.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Chen could be the second coming of Lou.

I think the focus should be on players with one or at most two years of eligibility left. We are in the unusual situation at UConn of maxing out on scholarships. I don`t want to block us from getting the gold rings in 2025 and 2026. Like Somfai, the Big O, Jerzy. With Strong on board, we are a very attractive destination going forward. Actually, we always have been.

How about Chen and Karlen?

Reaction Score
IMHO if UConn isn't focusing on size in the post then we're right back where we started. In truth, we need bangers, dogs on the boards. So what she's a good outside shooter, competing with SCARO, UCLA, TEXAS, etc., and the like will require us winning the rebounding battle. Every year it's the same unaddressed issue. Our championship teams have all been great, if not competitive, rebounding teams. You want outside shooting? That's why we have a million guards who are great at it.
And while tall is good, like 6'6, what will it benefit us if they are timid or unwilling to get physical? Wasn't that the issue with someone of size who just entered the portal? Feagin(?), Watkins, Kitts, and I'm sure Edwards, Walker and Tac won't be timid, nor are they focused on standing out there by the three-point line to take a jumper. I miss the days of Steph, Stewie, Stokes, and Tuck, with some combination of the 2 on the floor most of the time. None were timid and they controlled the paint. I hope he taps back into the models that worked. We need another, at least one more, big that will get in there and mix it up to back up Jana. Go Huskies!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I would hope UConn would focus on developing Zabell and Cheli and the continued developing of Shade and Arnold. I think the guard from Columbia is better than Chen, but she has already committed to another school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom