UConn (only) recruiting speculation (merged) | Page 10 | The Boneyard

UConn (only) recruiting speculation (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I wouldn’t get hung up on the 4 vs 5 thing. Iriafen is 1 inch shorter than Beers and considerably more athletic. In addition, Iriafen frequently played the post whenever Brink was on the bench or in foul trouble.
Agree, and even less of an issue if you consider than Jana (and to a lesser extent Ice) could play either. Maybe as a 5 with Iriafen and as a 4 with Beers. The thought of both had never even entered my mind until now, but for one year OMG! Imagine Paige, Azzi, Sarah (at the 3), Iriafen (4), and Beers (5)! In that case, if you look to 25/26, Aubrey and Kiki would depart and Kellis and Gandy would be added so you are right at 15, if Paige, Azzi and Caroline all returned. If one didn't, say Caroline, then you would have one additional possible 2025 recruit, perhaps Somfai for arguments sake.

Beers potentially affects 25/26 prospects, but Iriafen for one year doesn't, so I think I would pitch to both players a package deal, where both could start at Uconn and be teamed with three #1 recruits in Paige, Azzi and Sarah, and have very high level backups everywhere! We could be bad for basketball again!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Its Geno's call. There are pros and cons with every recruit. If she comes what does that mean for our other bigs on the roster? Geno knows where we are with those coming back from injury. Most likely it will take time for them to develop and they may not be able to play the same amount of minutes they used to, at least for a while. Again its Geno's call.

Reaction Score
I’m hearing Left Coast destination for Kiki
Most likely. Probably UCLA or USC.
Kiki went to high school practically around the corner (about a mile) from UCLA.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You would have to believe that one of the two LA schools are Iriafen’s destination. But, I wouldn’t take UConn off the table just yet. Somewhere in her thinking, has to be the opportunity to win a national championship. While you could make an argument that Iriafen would give both USC & UCLA that opportunity were she to transfer to either school. IMO, she would have a better opportunity for a Natty at UConn, South Carolina or even ND if she were to head a little further East.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
For what it’s worth, Morgan Valley is now following Kiki.
Let’s hope that was preceded by a phone call from Kiki to UConn. If not, that’s certainly a good way of sending a message to a “do not contact” in the portal.

Reaction Score
If Kiki goes to Southern Cal, will the National rankings be #1. USC, #2 USC. What a conundrum !

Reaction Score
Also put in the portal thread:

This would be my perfect fit situation for UConn of the players available right now. I wonder how much of the movement out west if over the amount of travel and time away from actual school the players are likely to have in the next couple years?

Reaction Score
For Kiki, a native of LA, if academics and basketball are a priority, the top schools would be Stanford and UCLA, respectively. So my bet is on UCLA. UConn is a long shot unless there are connections and priorities I am not seeing.

Reaction Score
Even without Carol and Azzi we still have plenty of guards. Paige, KK, Ash, Allie. Morgan. Sarah Strong has guard skills. We have one center that is an even biggger mystery than Azzi and Carol because no one has ever seen her play against D1 competition. There is no argument in my mind to be getting a guard out of the portal over a big.
I agree that our biggest , 'Big' has not been tested in D1 play ? We must not forget. Our past experience with this repeat situation, has not been favorable ! NO BIG- No Go.

Reaction Score
Man, this hard for me to do OL dude. She reminds me of Jokic from Denver. She is a great passer out of the post, handles double teams wells, great with either hand and a good reboinder.

If SC can run with Cardozo, UConn can run with Baers. JMHO
Every HUSKIE is a RUNNER.... From Paige, to Ash, to KK, to Ice , to Jana ( and everybody
else... I SEE YOU YANNA! ). BEERS would run with the HUSKIE PACK! Share the minutes.
A new Motto.. " Everybody 'eats' Minutes". But no one goes HUNGRY for playing time! Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
They look like two different paths:
  1. Kiki is a talented 4, rather like Aaliyah in her size and skill set. pairing her with Jana is the same path the team has been on for some time. Geno knows how to build a contender with this squad.
  2. Raegan is a 5 in her skills and style of play. This seems like a version of the team from the Dolson years. Geno definitely knows how to win an NC with a squad that would include her and Jana in the front court.
My thought is that it may not make quite so much sense to add both of them, even though the logistics of recruiting may require offering both. The advantage of Raegan over Kiki is that she has two years to perfect an NC run. The advantage of Kiki over Raegan is that she’d only intrude on the HS recruiting process for one year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
If it is true that Kiki is set to graduate in May, I would guess that academics and therefore graduate programs in her field will be important to her and the rankings for graduate programs does not follow in lock step with undergraduate programs, even with the largest schools, depending on the course of study. And many undergraduate degree departments recommend their own grads seek different programs to get a different more rounded perspective.

This may have no bearing, but being on a nationally competitive team would not require a transfer at all if that were her only goal. I am sure she has a good relationship with the new coach and her teammates.

Reaction Score
That does appear to be where most of the speculation is headed. Also Notre Dame, but I retain some hope based on Uconn making her final 5 when being recruited out of HS, or at least i think someone said that.

The west coast preference could be a factor with Beers as well. Hoping the chance for a title will offset some of that, but of course USC and UCLA potentially have good chances too, but I don't think quite as high as Uconn.

Reaction Score
Me too!
Kiki is an L.A. girl who chose Stanford to be close to home with a top team.
With UCLA & USC rising in the rankings, I wouldn't be surprised if she chooses one of those hometown powerhouses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom