UCONN is NOT a mid-major. Conference affiliation means nothing. | The Boneyard

UCONN is NOT a mid-major. Conference affiliation means nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hey guys, just wanted to drop by and offer my congratulations on your fine season. Many people are blowing up the whole AAC conference thing, but the fact remains that UCONN was in the Big East only a year or two ago and you still have Big East players.

I guarantee you Izzo and his team respect the hell out of UCONN. In fact, I was watching the 09 Final Four and I couldn't believe what a battle that was. Whenever a team has one player who can take over the game like your guard, you'll always have a chance to win. Here's to an exciting game!!!

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
Thanks, what school do you support?

Reaction Score
You know, I really appreciate the sentiment in the OP. But, what the holy duckk is going on that we need a visiting poster to tell us that UCONN basketball is not a "mid-major". No

Should be a great game. Enjoy.

It was in regards to all the Spartan message boards claiming that the AAC and New Big East no longer have any teams and are essentially the Missouri Valley. How quickly they forget that UCONN beat MSU in Germany not too long ago.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The way we define it, anyone with fewer titles than we have is a mid-major.

Congrats to Michigan State for carrying the mid-major banner to the Elite Eight!

(I appreciate the sentiment, but good lord...)

Reaction Score
Well, again, thanks for the sentiment. But, UCONN fans don't need to be reminded about our athletic prowess. All we need to do is look at about a million championship banners to figure that out. As to the ignorant fans you refer to, some actually find their way here sometimes to share their wisdom. Stick around, you'll probably see some.

Reaction Score
People can call us or label us anything they want but our unis will never change who we really are. I'm so glad posters aren't baited into justification, explanation or even refuting these labels.

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
Hey guys, just wanted to drop by and offer my congratulations on your fine season. Many people are blowing up the whole AAC conference thing, but the fact remains that UCONN was in the Big East only a year or two ago and you still have Big East players.

I guarantee you Izzo and his team respect the hell out of UCONN. In fact, I was watching the 09 Final Four and I couldn't believe what a battle that was. Whenever a team has one player who can take over the game like your guard, you'll always have a chance to win. GLAD WE HAVE A CHANCE! Here's to an exciting game!!!
And sure we are a mid major. We're in a mid major conference. Make sure you don't lose. No pressure.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
OP was such a backhanded flame post. Personally, I love opponents' pre-game trash talk. It makes their post-game pain all the sweeter.
"I didn't think they could shoot like that," Morris said of Connecticut, which made 39 percent of its long-range shots this season. "They hit us quick. It was hard to break their rhythm."

Ejim was among the Cyclones who couldn't find a rhythm, routinely getting banged around as he attempted off-balance shots under the basket.

I have huge respect for Izzo and am confident that he'll have his team as ready as possible.

We are doooomed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I appreciate the OP's sentiment if it's genuine, but in reality, the MSU board is in more need of this clarification than the Boneyard.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure the OP thought he was legitimately complimenting us. Outside of Syracuse fans, I found the MSU fans in Detroit to be the biggest jackasses I have ever encountered.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It was in regards to all the Spartan message boards claiming that the AAC and New Big East no longer have any teams and are essentially the Missouri Valley. How quickly they forget that UCONN beat MSU in Germany not too long ago.
No offense, but whether UCONN beat MSU or not a few years ago has zero impact on whether the program is a mid major or not.

All one has to know is 3 NC's. UCONN is one of the top 10 programs over the past 20+ years. Not even close to a mid major. There are about 40 teams in the other "power 5" conferences that are closer to a mid major than UCONN is.

Reaction Score
people are getting a little testy over the OP. He seems like a good guy/girl that took time to show his appreciation for UConn basketball. Anyone that knows anything about college sports knows that the landscape of college basketball has completely changed and is separate from college football. The A10 and AAC can easily put more teams in the tournament than some of the power football conferences each year.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Thank God we only have to endure this for 40 hours or so this time. I can't take another whole week of this. Maybe we won't hear from the Florida people on Monday, since we beat them a few months ago. I swear we need to win this thing just to put an end to this nonsense...and again next year.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
OP was such a backhanded flame post. Personally, I love opponents' pre-game trash talk. It makes their post-game pain all the sweeter.

I have huge respect for Izzo and am confident that he'll have his team as ready as possible.

We are doooomed.

Love your avatar.

GhostofBTT

Graduate of a real college. Boss of UConn grads.
Reaction Score
No offense, but whether UCONN beat MSU or not a few years ago has zero impact on whether the program is a mid major or not.

All one has to know is 3 NC's. UCONN is one of the top 10 programs over the past 20+ years. Not even close to a mid major. There are about 40 teams in the other "power 5" conferences that are closer to a mid major than UCONN is.
Michigan State is a football school. They barely even care about basketball.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The OP however well intentioned is the same a greeting someone with, "You're not as ugly as people were saying you were." F-him. And while we are at it, knock off this we are a mid major acquiescence bullsnit. By definition, a mid major conference is one that does not play top division FB. In spite of the media's attempt to reduce the FBS to 5 power conferences, there are still six guaranteed spots in the BCS bowl games, or whatever dumb moniker they've assigned them these days. The AAC (nee Big East) has yet to not be represented in these games. Can we let the cycle complete at least one revolution before we self-assign ourselves to the table by the swinging kitchen door? What are we, Kansas voters?

Last I checked, 50% of the AAC teams should have been in this tournament and 100% of the teams from the self described greatest basketball conference ever assembled are as of this morning sitting at home like Zan and Jena at the Hall of Freaking Justice. Maybe that's a one-off, but the real Superfriends are still playing this weekend and I'm not a g-damn fortune teller.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure the OP thought he was legitimately complimenting us. Outside of Syracuse fans, I found the MSU fans in Detroit to be the biggest jackasses I have ever encountered.

Could not agree more.

Reaction Score
the fact remains that UCONN was in the Big East only a year or two ago and you still have Big East players.

Good point now that the big east is on its spiral down to mediocrity, UCONN should see an uptick in basketball recruiting.

D

Deleted member 3149

Since a Big Ten team has won a title....

-9/11 has occurred
-There have been 4 presidential elections
-7 Olympic Games have taken place
-14 NCAA tournaments have taken place
-UConn has won 2 National titles.
You get the point.....

Play for your school. Not your overrated conference.

Reaction Score
The only way we could be classified as a Mid-Major is if the NCAA's is a Mid-major tournament. We seem to do a lot of damage there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom