UConn/ACC | Page 16 | The Boneyard

UConn/ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The 1994 championship is undisputed in the AP/UPI. It's also undisputed in other polls, like the NYT which has PSU in front.

In the AP Poll, Penn State actually dropped to #2 after a 63-14 rout of Ohio State.

The sad part about 94 was that the country was robbed of a potentially epic game, all because of how screwed up conference politics were. In my completely biased opinion I still believe that PSU would have blown the doors off the Huskers that year. Unfortunately we'll never know, but should anyone on that team want to claim a championship for 94 there is no reason they shouldn't IMO. It's a shame the Midwestern + Pittsburgh Medias could not see past their own petty jealousy, as we would have had a great shot to at least split the polls.

Reaction Score
That Penn State fan seems thrilled. Geez. Not a terribly thrilling endorsement from the Syracuse person interviewed either.
What did you expect from an jealous SU fan? You should know as a member in good standing there for many years now! Fact is if offered Cuse would JUMP at a B1G offer....just a routine sour grape post....you could find MANY contrarian views if you werent so biased and arrogant stimpycuse!!

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Do me a favor. List all the schools that you believe would "JUMP at a B1G offer" and, chances are, I or somebody can argue against it. I know UConn would take any offer to a P5 conference, so that's a given. To start with...

Syracuse

Basketball rivalries with UNC, Duke, UVA, BC, Pitt, Louisville. Football games in Atlanta, Miami, Raleigh, Blacksburg, South Bend, Louisville, Tallahassee. Plus ACC/B1G Challenge and renewed games vs Georgetown

vs.

Football with name programs like Michigan and 6 or 7 programs located in relatively scarce local recruiting grounds. Good competitive basketball but struggle in the NCAA.

Advantage

Recruiting up and down the East and Southeast in football and basketball tilts it in the ACC's favor.

pj

Reaction Score
Are you kidding, Syracuse would sell upstate New York for an extra $5 million per year.

Reaction Score
Do me a favor. List all the schools that you believe would "JUMP at a B1G offer" and, chances are, I or somebody can argue against it. I know UConn would take any offer to a P5 conference, so that's a given. To start with...

Syracuse

Basketball rivalries with UNC, Duke, UVA, BC, Pitt, Louisville. Football games in Atlanta, Miami, Raleigh, Blacksburg, South Bend, Louisville, Tallahassee. Plus ACC/B1G Challenge and renewed games vs Georgetown

vs.

Football with name programs like Michigan and 6 or 7 programs located in relatively scarce local recruiting grounds. Good competitive basketball but struggle in the NCAA.

Advantage

Recruiting up and down the East and Southeast in football and basketball tilts it in the ACC's favor.

$$$ is in the B1G's favor. Recruiting is not a big factor since UConn will get the best of its football recruits locally (i.e. New England, New York) either way, then look for gems in places like Georgia, Florida, Maryland, just like it's doing right now.

As for basketball, the addition of UConn sends either league over the top in that sport. UConn makes the B1G the best. Better than the ACC. And if some some absurd reason the B1G added Kansas too, it's game over for the ACC.

Top tier:
UConn v. Duke
Kansas v. North Carolina
Michigan St. v. Louisville

Second tier:
Indiana v. Syracuse
Michigan v. NC State
Ohio State v. Virginia
Maryland v. Pittsburgh

Third tier:
Wisconsin v. Notre Dame
Illinois v. Wake Forest
Minnesota v. Georgia Tech
Purdue v. Florida St.
Iowa v. Miami, Fla.
Nebraska v. Clemson
Penn State v. Boston College
Rutgers v. Virginia Tech
Northwestern v.

The first 3 are a PUSH.
The 2nd and 3rd tier are dominated by the B1G.

Reaction Score
vs.

I'm sure Syracuse is happy but let's be a little honest in our comparisons. A B1G Eastern Football division containing Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan State and Michigan blows away any combo the ACC could cobble together even if you pretend that ND is a real member. It's not close.

Reaction Score
What did you expect from an jealous SU fan? You should know as a member in good standing there for many years now! Fact is if offered Cuse would JUMP at a B1G offer....just a routine sour grape post....you could find MANY contrarian views if you werent so biased and arrogant stimpycuse!!

Syracuse may have JUMPED at a B1G offer two to three years ago, but I don't believe that they would now. There was once a concern about being a northern school in a southern league, but now that they have played all throughout the ACC footprint, they have bought into the ACC pretty strong. Daryl Gross is all over this ACC thing. He's also about playing in big media markets like Boston, New York, DC, Atlanta, Charlotte, and Miami. He sounds a lot like Jack Swarbrick of Notre Dame when he talks about it. The ACC provides it.

Reaction Score
When it comes to basketball, UConn is the tipping point for either conference. The real difference (aside from the obvious gap in TV revenue) is football. UConn knows how well Virginia, NC State, North Carolina, Syracuse, PITT, and Louisville football draws. However, after witnessing the energy of Michigan playing at the Rent, it is easy to see how a steady diet of Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin and Nebraska would be a catalyst for generating interest in football. Interest in ACC football (aside from a rare appearance by ND or FSU) would only generate an incremental bump by comparison.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
$ is in the B1G's favor. Recruiting is not a big factor since UConn will get the best of its football recruits locally (i.e. New England, New York) either way, then look for gems in places like Georgia, Florida, Maryland, just like it's doing right now.

As for basketball, the addition of UConn sends either league over the top in that sport. UConn makes the B1G the best. Better than the ACC. And if some some absurd reason the B1G added Kansas too, it's game over for the ACC.

Top tier:
UConn v. Duke
Kansas v. North Carolina

Second tier:
Indiana v. Syracuse
Michigan v. NC State
Ohio State v. Virginia
Maryland v. Pittsburgh

Third tier:
Wisconsin v. Notre Dame
Illinois v. Wake Forest
Purdue v. Florida St.
Iowa v. Miami, Fla.
Nebraska v. Clemson
Rutgers v. Virginia Tech
Northwestern v.

The first 3 are a PUSH.

This is just an educated guess but in the case of the BXII disintegrating the B1G might well take Kansas but the Midwest schools may push for Mizzou to placate fans who were irate about the conference taking some East schools. The SEC would then replace Mizzou with West Virginia. That would be good news for UConn since WVU would be the main threat for the ACC's #16 spot.

Reaction Score
A map of the 2014 ACC Rosters vs Hometowns of recruits.

1...not much recruiting to the west of Georgia.....east coast all of the way.

2...the Baltimore-New Jersey corridor is well represented

ACC-Roster-2014-heat-map-copy.png

Reaction Score
$ is in the B1G's favor. Recruiting is not a big factor since UConn will get the best of its football recruits locally (i.e. New England, New York) either way, then look for gems in places like Georgia, Florida, Maryland, just like it's doing right now.

Top tier:
UConn v. Duke
Kansas v. North Carolina

Second tier:
Indiana v. Syracuse
Michigan v. NC State
Ohio State v. Virginia
Maryland v. Pittsburgh

Third tier:
Wisconsin v. Notre Dame
Illinois v. Wake Forest
Purdue v. Florida St.
Iowa v. Miami, Fla.
Nebraska v. Clemson
Rutgers v. Virginia Tech
Northwestern v.

The first 3 are a PUSH.
How did Wisconsin make it into the 3rd tier?

Reaction Score
Syracuse may have JUMPED at a B1G offer two to three years ago, but I don't believe that they would now. There was once a concern about being a northern school in a southern league, but now that they have played all throughout the ACC footprint, they have bought into the ACC pretty strong. Daryl Gross is all over this ACC thing. He's also about playing in big media markets like Boston, New York, DC, Atlanta, Charlotte, and Miami. He sounds a lot like Jack Swarbrick of Notre Dame when he talks about it. The ACC provides it.
I don't think Syracuse would jump either. I think that, like Miami, they may have developed a "fear of success." They know how much effort is involved in competing at the NCAA's highest levels and they're worried they no longer have the resources and the will. They were shopping for a sugar daddy and Swoffie unzipped.

Reaction Score
I think that map puts Wis/Minnesota together (on the border)...

1...Minnesota has 56 from Minnesota/Wis on their roster

2...Wisconsin has 53 from Wis/Minnesota on their roster

Reaction Score
A map of the 2014 ACC Rosters vs Hometowns of recruits.

1...not much recruiting to the west of Georgia.....east coast all of the way.

2...the Baltimore-New Jersey corridor is well represented

ACC-Roster-2014-heat-map-copy.png
Nice presentation, billy.

Reaction Score
I don't think Syracuse would jump either. I think that, like Miami, they may have developed a "fear of success." They know how much effort is involved in competing at the NCAA's highest levels and they're worried they no longer have the resources and the will. They were shopping for a sugar daddy and Swoffie unzipped.

Well with the football national champion, FSU, and the orange bowl champion, Clemson, in their division, they better start competing at the highest level in football or be left behind. That right there is a higher level than anything they would find in the B1G in football. In men's basketball, with three other hall of fame coaches to compete against and some very good rising coaches, they better get on the stick. They almost won the conference last season coming in second, so they seem to be competing pretty well. They lost by only one goal in the men's lacrosse league championship, so they compete well there. I'm not seeing any "fear of success" so far.

Reaction Score
Well with the football national champion, FSU, and the orange bowl champion, Clemson, in their division, they better start competing at the highest level in football or be left behind. That right there is a higher level than anything they would find in the B1G in football. In men's basketball, with three other hall of fame coaches to compete against and some very good rising coaches, they better get on the stick. They almost won the conference last season coming in second, so they seem to be competing pretty well. They lost by only one goal in the men's lacrosse league championship, so they compete well there. I'm not seeing any "fear of success" so far.

You do realize, I hope, that the ACC was even behind the old BE in terms of BCS bowls won in the last decade and a half? I mean, to say the ACC has been competing toe-to-toe with the B1G in football would be a complete farce. It hasn't. The ACC couldn't even compete with the old BE.

Reaction Score
In a few years time, kids graduating from the NYC-DC corridor will have grown up watching the B1G on BTN in all sports. They will receive far more exposure to the B1G than any other conference. You will see a huge shift in which schools high school athletes from this corridor sign with over the coming years. BTN will first start airing all over this corridor by the end of August. In less than a decade from now, B1G schools will most likely have as much pull in this corridor as they have in the Midwest for all sports, not just football. There has already been an upswing in the region and BTN has yet to air on basic cable and one game vs. Rutgers and Maryland has yet to be played.

Reaction Score
In a few years time, kids graduating from the NYC-DC corridor will have grown up watching the B1G on BTN in all sports. They will receive far more exposure to the B1G than any other conference. You will see a huge shift in which schools high school athletes from this corridor sign with over the coming years. BTN will first start airing all over this corridor by the end of August. In less than a decade from now, B1G schools will most likely have as much pull in this corridor as they have in the Midwest for all sports, not just football. There has already been an upswing in the region and BTN has yet to air on basic cable and one game vs. Rutgers and Maryland has yet to be played.

??? does anyone watch BTN?

How much time do you think a 10-14 year old spends watching sports on TV? And if they do, they are watching ESPN.

Reaction Score
Well, when that kid is 18 and graduating high school, he/she will know that his/her parents have access to watching the games on BTN. How many college soccer games does ESPN air?

That corridor will be ingrained into B1G culture. The BTN helps drive that but it is not the only way it will be ingrained into the B1G culture.

Reaction Score
Well, when that kid is 18 and graduating high school, he/she will know that his/her parents have access to watching the games on BTN. How many college soccer games does ESPN air?

That corridor will be ingrained into B1G culture. The BTN helps drive that but it is not the only way it will be ingrained into the B1G culture.

BTN has a good thing going with its monthly fee in many areas. But I've heard that you're not actually cracking the basic lineup, like everyone is saying. Do you have ratings for BTN?

Reaction Score
The President of the BTN, Mark Silverman, has already gone on record that the deals signed in the NYC-DC corridor are comparable to the rest of the B1G footprint. While exact figures haven't been released, that statement is already on public record. Also on public record is that BTN subscriptions have increased from 52 million to over 60 million with the new deals signed. The three cable company agreements increased distribution of BTN by over 8 million subscribers. There are smaller cable companies that deals are being worked on, which means this number will go higher, but not at dramatic numbers since only smaller cable operators remain to be signed.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...th_the_three_major_local_cable_providers.html

"Silverman said the BTN has reached similar distribution agreements in Maryland. The network will now reach 60 million homes, up from 52 million last year.
The network will be available on expanded basic cable, which is in line with how the BTN is carried in other Big Ten states. Previously, the BTN had been part of a sports tier. Silverman expects the changes to take effect by late August."

Ratings on BTN increase each year. The addition of B1G hockey has been a huge success for BTN. http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_25380175/fledgling-league-off-solid-start "The Big Ten Network's Friday night doubleheader broadcasts are popular with fans; viewership increased 37 percent from the network's 2012-13 nonconference coverage, according to the network."

From 1/27/14 - http://btn.com/2014/01/27/btn-has-highest-rated-super-wednesday-in-its-history/ "
Two of last week’s conference matchups pitting two Top 10 teams against hungry foes resulted in BTN’s top-rated “Super Wednesday” in its history in the network’s eight metered markets.* “Super Wednesdays” are the network’s nine straight weeks of basketball doubleheaders. BTN earned a 1.5 rating on the night, surpassing the network’s prior best “Super Wednesday” on Jan. 30, 2013, of 1.42."

BTN aired over 100 basketball games this past season.

From 3/14/13 - http://www.shermanreport.com/btn-b-i-g-winner-with-surging-big-ten-basketball-all-time-high-ratings/ "Ratings for games on the BTN from January through mid-March are up 27 percent; at .91 from .72 in the network’s top 8 metered markets, according network president Mark Silverman. Ratings for its signature show, The Journey, have increased 20 percent. It all translates into the BTN having its best January and February ever."

This is a great article with stats as well from last year - http://www.chicagobusiness.com/arti...g-ten-network-strives-for-national-reputation "BTN's overall TV ratings are up 12 percent year over year, and the network's profits "are the highest they've ever been, and next year they'll be higher," said an optimistic Mr. Silverman, who has shepherded the network since its inception in 2007."

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Let's be honest. Conference networks are more for the alumni of schools from those conferences than for the average 0-18 year old kid. Those kids are watching ESPiN (as much as I hate to admit it), CBS, FOX, and NBC. They're not watching T3 games on Conference Networks. Kids can watch whatever they want on their phones and tablets and most aren't watching T3 games. They're watching teams that win and compete for national championships in the revenue sports that they are interested in. To their credit, ESPiN has done a masterful job of dumbing down their product to cater to the average high school kid interested in sports entertainment. Exhibit A: "we interrupt the regularly scheduled First Take program where Skip Bayless and Stephen A Smith argue about LeBron James to report that LeBron James just tweeted that he is going to fly to Miami before he goes to Brazil for the World Cup. We will now spend the next 2 hours debating what this means and how it impacts Cleveland." That's what kids under 18 are watching and will spend their disposable income to keep up with. They are certainly NOT watching Illinois vs Purdue soccer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom