UConn/ACC | Page 18 | The Boneyard

UConn/ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know this: I am thoroughly confused at whatever point you're trying to make. You point is now that Clemson did not play a scrub team in its bowl? That's the point I thought you were making originally. But you then said I had it wrong. I have no idea what you are trying to say. All I know is that the ACC's BCS bowl record is abominable.

Florida State did beat Northern Illinois a couple years ago, so congrats on that, but Clemson was walloped the game before that.

In fact, right before your recent 3-0 run, you had an 0-4 run.

It's because he has no point. He comes here to troll with the same 4 opinions over & over & over........

Here the 4 opinions of stimpy for everyone to refer to (if you're interested

1. The Directors Cup is the best way to determine the strongest athletic programs because the ACC has some strong non-revenue sports

2. That US News rankings show that the ACC also is the best academic conference

3. Swofford is a genius & he owns Delany

4. The ACC will collect $52MM from UMD and is the strongest of all the conferences.

Now that he has nothing else to come here & troll about maybe he goes on a permanent vacation from the BY

Reaction Score
Someone who has an opinion that differs from the board narrative is always labeled by some as a "troll".

I also chum.

Reaction Score
Someone who has an opinion that differs from the board narrative is always labeled by some as a "troll".

I also chum.

As UConn fans we get to determine the narrative of our message board.

It's scum like stimpy who come here day after day spouting the same couple points that make this board unreadable.

Why don't you ACC fans go to the ND board & tell them what a great add they are to your conference & leave us to commiserate in our misery alone

Reaction Score
He's not on a product mission apparently according to what I've read. He's on a real estate mission. He's more worried about cable subscribers than what he's showing the viewers it seems. Rutgers and Maryland reduced the value of his product, and many in the midwest don't like this idea. It remains to be seen how that works long term. If he were on a product mission for basketball anyways, UConn would have been invited. It's been talked about here for a long time.

A couple of posts up there is talk about all the kids from NY to Maryland getting indoctinated in B1G culture. If that's the expectation, they better lower it. Those kids aren't even indoctrinated in Rutgers or Maryland. The eastern kids are supposed to become midwestern because of a cable channel they won't be watching? I didn't join in that chat, but found humor in it.
If he's not focused on product quality right now, He'd better start multi-tasking. I'm not worried about the level of interest from NY and DC kids at the moment. They're interest in Rutgers/Maryland is limited by the quality of the product offered. Build it, i.e., a quality product, and they will come.

What gives me a chuckle is all this agita over cable subscriptions. I've been watching my grandchildren, ages 8 and 5, over the past year and they get relatively little of their entertainment via what might be considered traditional TV, and it declines almost weekly. Cable TV is yesterday's paradigm and anybody hitching his financial futures to it will be as successful as the guy, shown his first automobile, asked where the whip was kept.

Reaction Score
If he's not focused on product quality right now, He'd better start multi-tasking. I'm not worried about the level of interest from NY and DC kids at the moment. They're interest in Rutgers/Maryland is limited by the quality of the product offered. Build it, i.e., a quality product, and they will come.

What gives me a chuckle is all this agita over cable subscriptions. I've been watching my grandchildren, ages 8 and 5, over the past year and they get relatively little of their entertainment via what might be considered traditional TV, and it declines almost weekly. Cable TV is yesterday's paradigm and anybody hitching his financial futures to it will be as successful as the guy, shown his first automobile, asked where the whip was kept.
RegisteredUconn, we agree more than you think. I think that the ACC needs a cable channel for no other reason that three other conferences have one, but it may not be the panacea that some think it is for anyone long term. These conferences may be jumping onto a declining distribution model and need to be careful. There is now a nationwide cable subscriber trend downward. Cord Cutters are more and more. How rapidly that occurs is the only question. The one thing that the Sports Channels have going for them is that live sports are not as easily DVRed because they have the most interest live, and that may help a transition of channels to more sports.

We also have to watch how the over the top stuff like YouTube and Netflix develops. Internet Service Providers are going to want a cut of that, or they are going to constrain bandwidth to make those things work poorly. So those companies may need to buy ISPs over time. A lot is happening.

Reaction Score
The point is that you want to harp on BCS bowls, and I'm talking about national championships, and being distracted by worrying about BCS bowls that don't matter. We can agree that the ACC BCS bowl record is bad at 28% wins, and we can also agree that the Big Ten football national championship count in the past 45 years is the worst of all BCS conferences by wide margin, and is zero in the last decade. You should worry about national championship count. You do in basketball as does most of this board.

The ACC simply was not competing at a high level at all until last year.

You think I am making this up.

I am not.

Here, read: http://www.teamspeedkills.com/2010/4/26/1444886/sec-dominates-bcs-automatic

Reaction Score
My guess is that the 4 games you are talking about are all in that season. I don't know. New York City isn't a college football town really, so I'd be more interested in the national rating for those games.

You're right, you don't know. One game was against South Florida in 2008. Not Miami of South Florida, but the South Florida Bulls. National ratings should not be important to you considering what started this exchange was YOUR contention that no one cares about Rutgers in NJ/NYC, not who cares about Rutgers in Colorado. You were wrong. You'll continue to try to move the goalposts again, but you will still be wrong.

Reaction Score

I also chum.

Billy, I don't think it is simply only a matter of having a different opinion. But more the way it is expressed, and when it happens over and over and over again. You've stated that Maryland sucks, and that usually does not cause a response from UConn fans from what I noticed.

Also, it is one thing for a UConn fan on a UConn board to denigrate a school or conference. It is another thing when someone else continually and snidely attacks another school or conference, even when asked by the moderator to cut the childish crap.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I do not "attack" Maryland...I give my opinion that their football was a very poor opponent for FSU and that they will probably be a mid tier Big Ten school. Just as your posts may be seen by some as an "attack" upon the ACC. While I don't view it as such (merely another opinion), some may. I am not a conference guy at heart....just an FSU guy.

I may be expressive calling Maryland's football program a dumpster fire, etc...but it is just another way of saying that Maryland has not bee very good in my opinion.

Reaction Score
You're right, you don't know. One game was against South Florida in 2008. Not Miami of South Florida, but the South Florida Bulls. National ratings should not be important to you considering what started this exchange was YOUR contention that no one cares about Rutgers in NJ/NYC, not who cares about Rutgers in Colorado. You were wrong. You'll continue to try to move the goalposts again, but you will still be wrong.

Somehow I always get pulled into talking about Rutgers here on the UConn board. You are correct. I don't know anything about Rutgers from personal experience. I just go by every article I've seen about it including the one billybud posted above, listening to the former commissioner of the Big East, Mike Trangese, talk about it, listening to a major player in NY talk radio, Mike Francessa, talk about it, and reading many of the other threads, not posts, on this board about it. And I point out the prevailing opinion, which is in unison. Rutgers is in a major professional sports media market. To get a sliver of attention away from the professional teams, Rutgers will have to kill it performance wise. There is no history of doing that consistently in the Big East, and now the task is harder. Congratulations on landing in the B1G, and good luck. I really can't add much more about Rutgers. I don't know any coaches, players, or former players to speak of in any sport.

Reaction Score
I think that we all forget the importance of a regional viewpoint...being located in the northeast is very much different then being located in the deep southeast in terms of vantage points and interests,

We should not all agree...we see different worlds.

Rutgers might as well be New Mexico to many in the deep south....

If you reside in the northeast, talk about the football world seems to revolve more around markets and TV sets then it does down here.

I am typing this from my second home, in western North Carolina, and there seem to be few Tar Heel fans...a bunch of Georgia, Tennessee, Florida, and FSU guys in the sports bar.

But saying that, there is a heavy SEC emphasis here in my area of North Carolina..go figure?

Reaction Score
Over one-third of the people, and close to half the college football fans (since NY residents are notoriously uninterested in college football compared to residents in the states with football playing universities), in the NYC television market live in New Jersey. For Rutgers only to pull in 20.9% of the rooting interest is a weak performance.

Well, it wasn't like they were drawing a lot for those vaunted Lafayette, Lehigh and Colgate games all those years. Still, they have a bigger problem in that Big Ten fans don't seem ready to accept them and Maryland as brothers, yet.

http://hawkcentral.com/2014/07/10/taking-a-trip-through-the-big-ten-heres-an-itinerary/

A cautionary tale for those who look to them as a salvation.

Anyway, until the ACC decides to invite you guys, I want to know what ACC teams do UConn fans want to see in OOC play? You can include basketball, football, women's sports, etc.. Do you want to see UConn play former Big East teams again or would you prefer to play the long-time members like Duke and UNC?

Reaction Score
I do not "attack" Maryland...I give my opinion that their football was a very poor opponent for FSU and that they will probably be a mid tier Big Ten school. Just as your posts may be seen by some as an "attack" upon the ACC. While I don't view it as such (merely another opinion), some may. I am not a conference guy at heart....just an FSU guy.

I may be expressive calling Maryland's football program a dumpster fire, etc...but it is just another way of saying that Maryland has not bee very good in my opinion.

Billy, maybe I wasn't clear. While I don't get warm and fuzzy with your criticisms of Maryland, I don't have a problem with it at this point. And maybe your prediction of Maryland's future in football is true. We'll see. Anyway, I was referring to another poster.

Although I am clearly not a fan of the ACC at the moment, I don't believe I have barraged this board with criticisms of the ACC. I have directly criticized Mr. Swofford and Coach Krzyzewski, but will no longer continue with that, instead of waiting to be told to stick it.

For those of us who are fans of other teams on a fan board, we should take some cues from the fans of that board, and knock it off when one of us keeps crossing the line. I'm all for free speech, but also for freedom of not being a d&&che on someone else's board.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Billy, I don't think it is simply only a matter of having a different opinion. But more the way it is expressed, and when it happens over and over and over again. You've stated that Maryland sucks, and that usually does not cause a response from UConn fans from what I noticed.

Also, it is one thing for a UConn fan on a UConn board to denigrate a school or conference. It is another thing when someone else continually and snidely attacks another school or conference, even when asked by the moderator to cut the childish crap.

The funniest part of all is that UConn fans have no love for Maryland because of all the grief over Rudy Gay, and here we are saying what every fan should recognize plain as day: Maryland was a great add for the B1G and is a significant loss for the ACC.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think that we all forget the importance of a regional viewpoint...being located in the northeast is very much different then being located in the deep southeast in terms of vantage points and interests,

We should not all agree...we see different worlds.

Rutgers might as well be New Mexico to many in the deep south....

If you reside in the northeast, talk about the football world seems to revolve more around markets and TV sets then it does down here.

I am typing this from my second home, in western North Carolina, and there seem to be few Tar Heel fans...a bunch of Georgia, Tennessee, Florida, and FSU guys in the sports bar.

But saying that, there is a heavy SEC emphasis here in my area of North Carolina..go figure?

Shocking. On the border of Tennessee there are Tennessee fans. Who could have guessed.

Reaction Score
Well, it wasn't like they were drawing a lot for those vaunted Lafayette, Lehigh and Colgate games all those years. Still, they have a bigger problem in that Big Ten fans don't seem ready to accept them and Maryland as brothers, yet.

http://hawkcentral.com/2014/07/10/taking-a-trip-through-the-big-ten-heres-an-itinerary/

A cautionary tale for those who look to them as a salvation.

Anyway, until the ACC decides to invite you guys, I want to know what ACC teams do UConn fans want to see in OOC play? You can include basketball, football, women's sports, etc.. Do you want to see UConn play former Big East teams again or would you prefer to play the long-time members like Duke and UNC?

UConn is already playing Duke in bball, and has had North Carolina series in the past in bball.

In football, UConn has played Virginia, North Carolina, NC State, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest and Duke in recent years. I'd like to see Syracuse and Pitt in bball again. In football, I'd like to see UConn play BC. Other than that, any team in football, it doesn't really matter to me. The games that really cooked for UConn football were against Rutgers and Boston College.

Reaction Score
Pat...as I have stated,,my feelings extend to playing Duke, Cuse, UNC, and Virginia...not just Maryland...

Too many mail it in games....

Reaction Score
Shocking. On the border of Tennessee there are Tennessee fans. Who could have guessed.

That wasn't the point smart ass...LOL

Who would have guessed that you NEVER see UNC paraphenalia?

Reaction Score
Or that the sports bar "wars" are heavily FSU-Florida?

Floridians have flooded these hills.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That wasn't the point smart ass...LOL

Who would have guessed that you NEVER see UNC paraphenalia?

Yes there are no UNC fans in Western Carolina. No NC State fans either. Also no Clemson fans. No way you can find a Clemson fan in greater Charlotte.

pj

Reaction Score

I'd be most interested in the North Carolina - Virginia schools. Duke & UNC in basketball, Virginia, Va Tech, UNC in football.

FSU would be great in football, but we probably wouldn't be competitive. BC could be an interesting football rivalry if it were a regular rivalry, not just a single game.

Reaction Score
UConn is already playing Duke in bball, and has had North Carolina series in the past in bball.

In football, UConn has played Virginia, North Carolina, NC State, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest and Duke in recent years. I'd like to see Syracuse and Pitt in bball again. In football, I'd like to see UConn play BC. Other than that, any team in football, it doesn't really matter to me. The games that really cooked for UConn football were against Rutgers and Boston College.

Games I think would be interesting are:

- UConn/Syracuse in basketball. Those were epic match-ups in the former league. If necessary, put the game in MSG or Barclays
- UConn/Virginia in men's soccer
- UConn/ND in women's basketball. We shouldn't have to wait until the NCAA's to see them play
- UConn/BC in football. I would like to get that going again.
- UConn/Louisville, both genders in basketball. Just to get the juices pumping. :D

Reaction Score
You do realize, I hope, that the ACC was even behind the old BE in terms of BCS bowls won in the last decade and a half? I mean, to say the ACC has been competing toe-to-toe with the B1G in football would be a complete farce. It hasn't. The ACC couldn't even compete with the old BE.
Yes ,I've even seen it referred to as FSU and the all cupcake conference during the bowl season in recent years !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom