UConn/ACC | Page 13 | The Boneyard

UConn/ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
But Mr Business says it is so. Who throws out resumes? A cousin lover. If I own a business and a BCU grad would make me money (not saying I would trust them), I hire them. I don't throw their resume out.
Pretty sure it's illegal to throw away resumes without recording certain things about who is applying for jobs at your company. I think there's an EEO reporting requirement.

Reaction Score
The major B1G schools like Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State have made bigger paychecks than ACC schools for the past 100 years. Yet still only 1 basketball championship in the past 25 years and 2 football since 1970, one of which was enabled by horrific officiating. Big paychecks certainly don't produce the wins do they? The schools are larger and make more money. They always have.
Not sure how you count to 25, stimpy, but I have Michigan winning in 1989 and Michigan State in 2000. Just picking nits here, but both seem to fall within a 25 year window.

Reaction Score
Playing in the BE gave L'ville the advantage of playing against the BEST competition available anywhere of just about anyone in the nation.And the best hoops conference anyone will probably ever see again and I've haven't followed hoops much since the late 80s but I know BB excellence when I see it!! The ACC with their blending of BE schools will have the opportunity to attempt it though. UConn could have helped solidify that eastern strength where in the big cities hoops is THE sport...growing up in Northern NJ I lived on the tar courts almost yr round and still enjoy playing to this day! The legendary Al LoBalbo was my tutor as a 10-13 yr old at his Ess e x county yearly clinics in the early/mid 60s.
Nick, given your advanced years, I would have sworn you were a member of the Passaic "Wonder Five."
http://www.profblood.com/

Reaction Score
Not sure how you count to 25, stimpy, but I have Michigan winning in 1989 and Michigan State in 2000. Just picking nits here, but both seem to fall within a 25 year window.

Not to mention we didn't even have football championships until the BCS in 1999. Stimpy counts a 30 year period in which there were no championships. Heck, I can mention a number of PSU teams he's not counting from that 1970-1999 era that were damn good, like 6 teams. 4 of them undefeated, and another two 1 loss teams that were ranked #1 in the polls.

Reaction Score
Even if UK has more fans than Ville that doesn't mean that Ville can't draw. More and more, casual fans are being courted by college sports programs. So it stands to reason that UL will work hard (and has been working hard) to attract new fans. In the ACC, UL will be able to make use of the recruiting territories in the East Coast, just like they did in the old Big East, but now with more ground to cover. Depending on solely alumni support has a certain limit (ex: some who are graduates may not support that school's sports teams, for various reasons). In the future, organizations that show enough flexibility w/o compromising core standards would be able to adapt to changes much better.
Louisville's fan problem vis-a-vis Kentucky is the same as every other city based institution has with the big state based one: state > city within state.

Reaction Score
I just go 1990-1999 is 10 years, 2000-2009 is 10 years, 2010-2014 is 5 years. When I add them I get 25. Do you get something different?

Reaction Score
I just go 1990-1999 is 10 years, 2000-2009 is 10 years, 2010-2014 is 5 years. When I add them I get 25. Do you get something different?

How can this even be a discussion when there wasn't even a championship game before 1999?

Reaction Score
Not to mention we didn't even have football championships until the BCS in 1999. Stimpy counts a 30 year period in which there were no championships. Heck, I can mention a number of PSU teams he's not counting from that 1970-1999 era that were damn good, like 6 teams. 4 of them undefeated, and another two 1 loss teams that were ranked #1 in the polls.
I only count Penn State's championship and Nebraska's championships as members of the Big Ten. Not before. I don't count Miami's championships before being in the ACC as ACC Championships either in football and baseball. Or Syracuse's or Louisville's in basketball. Before the BCS was formed, the football championship was crowned by the AP and UPI. There has been one every year since 1900 crowned in some manner.

Reaction Score
I only count Penn State's championship and Nebraska's championships as members of the Big Ten. Not before. I don't count Miami's championships before being in the ACC as ACC Championships either in football and baseball. Or Syracuse's or Louisville's in basketball. Before the BCS was formed, the football championship was crowned by the AP and UPI. There has been one every year since 1900 crowned in some manner.

With the new conferences having so many new members, you have to count strength of the members currently in those conferences.

After all, when you look at the AAC, you credit the conference for having a four time champion in basketball. You don't start from year zero. I mean, PSU and Nebraska are actually IN the B1G right now. You don't credit the B12 as a stronger conference for once having had Nebraska in the conference. That makes no sense.

And the whole UPI/AP thing was filled with so much regional bias. There were undefeated teams that were very deserving of recognition, while in other years you had ties in voting. Heck, some polls even differed from the AP/UPI in terms of perceived champions, so I don't see the point in looking at which conferences were stronger prior to 1999 unless you lay out the final rankings and credit teams for finishing in the top 2 or top 4.

Reaction Score
Nebraska too. You have to credit both those schools to the B1G, and not one of them to the B12.
Neither Nebraska nor Penn State has won a football national championship as a member of the B1G. They both won them before being part of the B1G, but having that conference bring them both down to mediocrity due to scheduling and declining recruiting territory has and will prevent it. You could say the same about Miami and the ACC, but coaching and sanctions have been more of Miami's problem than conference. They have a better shot of returning to power due to their access to recruiting territory.

Reaction Score
And the whole UPI/AP thing was filled with so much regional bias. There were undefeated teams that were very deserving of recognition, while in other years you had ties in voting. Heck, some polls even differed from the AP/UPI in terms of perceived champions, so I don't see the point in looking at which conferences were stronger prior to 1999 unless you lay out the final rankings and credit teams for finishing in the top 2 or top 4.

You have a real issue with the standards that industries use to rate and rank stuff it seems. You don't like the Director's Cup. You don't like USN&WR ranking of best colleges, and now the AP/UPI polling. You probably don't like how the film industry assigns G,PG,PG-13,R, and X either, but not sure. I can't help how the football national championships were decided between 1900 and 1999, but they were decided in each of those years, and yes when the AP and UPI disagreed, there were co-champions. It happened in 1990 with Georgia Tech and Colorado.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Neither Nebraska nor Penn State has won a football national championship as a member of the B1G. They both won them before being part of the B1G, but having that conference bring them both down to mediocrity due to scheduling and declining recruiting territory has and will prevent it. You could say the same about Miami and the ACC, but coaching and sanctions have been more of Miami's problem than conference. They have a better shot of returning to power due to their access to recruiting territory.

Poppycock. Nebraska and Penn State both fell due to the loss or age/ineffectiveness of legendary coaches (and let's not get into the PSU side of that topic). By all accounts O'Brien was bringing Penn State back. Nebraska has never fully recovered since Osborne, and Pelini probably has to do something more this year to keep his job. Neither has Michigan really since Bo (at a minimum since Carr). All three have the same problem. All three are in much better shape than Miami, with much stronger fan bases.

Reaction Score

Penn State's recruiting territory INCREASED after joining the B1G. Just go look at where kids hailed from. PSU went from recruiting the northeast plus Maryland, Virginia and South Carolina to taking kids from Ohio, Michigan and Illinois. As for PSU, they went 13-0 in 1994 while a member of the B1G.

Reaction Score

There are lots of reasons I spend less and less time on these boards. Posts like this are one of them.

Reaction Score
You have a real issue with the standards that industries use to rate and rank stuff it seems. You don't like the Director's Cup. You don't like USN&WR ranking of best colleges, and now the AP/UPI polling. You probably don't like how the film industry assigns G,PG,PG-13,R, and X either, but not sure. I can't help how the football national championships were decided between 1900 and 1999, but they were decided in each of those years, and yes when the AP and UPI disagreed, there were co-champions. It happened in 1990 with Georgia Tech and Colorado.

It's not just me that has a problem, a lot of other people do too. Like this: http://www.cbssports.com/general/best-in-college-sports

Seems as though someone had the exact same idea I did. While you may be interested in the results of bowling and rifle, cbssports is apparently more interested in the results of basketball and such.

As for USNews, we've gone into this before quite a few times, and they base most of their rankings on a reputational questionnaire filled out by university presidents. Florida State's pres. completed one and its available on the internet. He has Ivy League schools in the 3rd tier with his former place of work top ranked. It's a joke. This is why you have AAU schools ranked 150 and schools with meager resources like Clemson ranked 5o-70. no one in their right minds would agree with a ranking like that. Just for kicks, look at Reed College's ranking. This school is acknowledged universally as one of the top 10-15 liberal arts schools in the entire country. They have them way way down. It's a joke.

And by the way, here's another ridiculous metric that you probably tout: APR. You're probably one of these people that think the APR has something to do with graduation from a university.

Reaction Score
Maryland is in second place in all sports ACC championships and it's not even close. It will be many years before any ACC team passes Maryland in the all sport championship standings. Yet, ACC people claim Louisville is a better addition than UMD. Yeah right.
Maryland is the only school to have won the (mythical) Football National Championship, Men's Basketball Championship, and Women's National Championship.

Reaction Score
It's not just me that has a problem, a lot of other people do too. Like this: http://www.cbssports.com/general/best-in-college-sports

Seems as though someone had the exact same idea I did. While you may be interested in the results of bowling and rifle, cbssports is apparently more interested in the results of basketball and such.

As for USNews, we've gone into this before quite a few times, and they base most of their rankings on a reputational questionnaire filled out by university presidents. Florida State's pres. completed one and its available on the internet. He has Ivy League schools in the 3rd tier with his former place of work top ranked. It's a joke. This is why you have AAU schools ranked 150 and schools with meager resources like Clemson ranked 5o-70. no one in their right minds would agree with a ranking like that. Just for kicks, look at Reed College's ranking. This school is acknowledged universally as one of the top 10-15 liberal arts schools in the entire country. They have them way way down. It's a joke.

And by the way, here's another ridiculous metric that you probably tout: APR. You're probably one of these people that think the APR has something to do with graduation from a university.

My daughter is a Reed student. Reed refuses to participate in the USN&WR rankings due to its unscientific skewed statistical metrics. In response, USN&WR "arbitrarily" (without ANY statistics) places them lower due to their bohemian noncompliance. There are myriad articles on-line about this on-going battle. Reed has been unofficially ranked one of the most intellectually challenging small Liberal Arts schools in the nation. My daughter was admitted to Ivies and some of the "lofty" schools represented in this blog. Got your back, upstater.

Reaction Score
Naw....not typing in my sleep.

The great advantage of adding Louisville to the schedule is the bourbon tours on the Kentucky Bourbon Trail...I've just been just limbering up preseason for the Louisville trip. Got to get in top bourbon tasting shape.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Naw....not typing in my sleep.

The great advantage of adding Louisville to the schedule is the bourbon tours on the Kentucky Bourbon Trail...I've just been just limbering up preseason for the Louisville trip. Got to get in top bourbon tasting shape.

That is the best reason for Louisville I have seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom