UConn/ACC | Page 11 | The Boneyard

UConn/ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Football records over the past 10 years...

WVU 89-38 (0.700); 3 BCS bowl games; 3 conference titles
Louisville 84-41 (0.672); 2 BCS bowl games; 2 conference titles
Cincinnati 84-41 (0.672); 2 BCS bowl games; 2 conference titles
Rutgers 75-50 (0.600); no BCS appearances; no conference titles
UConn 63-60 (0.512); 1 BCS bowl game; 1 conference title
Maryland 64-72 (0.471); no BCS bowl games; no conference titles

The ACC got an above average football team with regard to UL, but not much better than the Pitt and Syracuse additions IMO. Cincinnati is equally as good and ranked higher academically. WVU is even better with almost equal academic ranking and can trumpet that they are a flagship/land grant school.

So was adding a 0.672 percentage football team worth the 160-something academic ranking? Time will tell, I guess.

I know football is driving the bus, but the ACC sponsors 26 other athletics championships in addition to football, and it should look at the overall health of the Athletics Department of who is invited along with TV markets and other intangibles too. For that comparison with this same list, you have:

WVU finishing at 69th place in the 2014 Director's Cup
Louisville finishing at 30 in the 2014 Director's Cup
Cincinnati finishing at 222 in the 2014 Director's Cup
Rutgers finishing at 91 in the 2014 Director's Cup
UConn finishing at 57 in the 2014 Director's Cup
Maryland finishing at 32 in the 2014 Director's Cup

The lowest anyone in the ACC finished this year was Georgia Tech at 89. That Cincinnati score is a WTF moment. They may have decent football and men's basketball, but the other 15 sports they have must need tremendous work to have nothing else in any post season tournaments. The UConn score is good and certainly within P5 range since 65 schools are currently P5. WVU, Maryland, and Rutgers are already in other P5 leagues.

I would hope that the ACC would be more careful than to invite someone that finishes last or close to it in most everything it competes in. That's no fun.

Reaction Score
I know football is driving the bus, but the ACC sponsors 26 other athletics championships in addition to football

I don't disagree. I was simply responding to another thread about UL's football status.

UL has a good directors cup standing. But so does UConn. With UConn's good academic standing, I'm not certain UL was the best choice for the ACC.

Reaction Score
I know football is driving the bus, but the ACC sponsors 26 other athletics championships in addition to football, and it should look at the overall health of the Athletics Department of who is invited along with TV markets and other intangibles too. For that comparison with this same list, you have:

The lowest anyone in the ACC finished this year was Georgia Tech at 89. That Cincinnati score is a WTF moment. They may have decent football and men's basketball, but the other 15 sports they have must need tremendous work to have nothing else in any post season tournaments. The UConn score is good and certainly within P5 range since 65 schools are currently P5. WVU, Maryland, and Rutgers are already in other P5 leagues.

I would hope that the ACC would be more careful than to invite someone that finishes last or close to it in most everything it competes in. That's no fun.

goodtry.jpg
And here's 50 points to go along with your trophy. . .

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

You would hope but then again the ACC invited Boston College.

Reaction Score
"But since you're bringing UConn into this, your numbers are totally wrong. UConn has won 11 games against current P5 teams with winning records that season. 3 of those teams were outside the former BE."

I did not say "teams of current conferences"...I said the conferences that are now the current P5 conferences.

Uconn beat no team in the ACC...no team in the Big Ten, Big 12, Pac 12.....that had a winning record. And beat one team in the SEC.

Please, other then the one win against South Carolina that I notated, name me the teams that were in a non BE BCS Conference, that UConn beat, that had a winning record in the last ten seasons (2004-2013).

One team...in ten years. South Carolina...which was a 7 win team.

You are in a conference when you play....and the teams that UConn played and beat from other conferences, that were non BE BCS, did not have winning records...save one.....that is just a fact.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You would hope but then again the ACC invited Boston College.

Boston College isn't last in everything. They finished the Director's Cup at 65 right behind Miami (FL) and ahead of Wake Forest, Pittsburgh, and Georgia Tech. I have more worries about Pitt. I hope they invest and improve. Georgia Tech had an off year. They've done much better before. The BC 65 finish is within P5 range, the lower part of it no doubt, but in range.

Reaction Score
"But since you're bringing UConn into this, your numbers are totally wrong. UConn has won 11 games against current P5 teams with winning records that season. 3 of those teams were outside the former BE."

I did not say "teams of current conferences"...I said the conferences that are now the current P5 conferences.

Uconn beat no team in the ACC...no team in the Big Ten, Big 12, Pac 12.....that had a winning record. And beat one team in the SEC.

Please, other then the one win against South Carolina that I notated, name me the teams that were in a non BE BCS Conference, that UConn beat, that had a winning record in the last ten seasons (2004-2013).

You are in a conference when you play....and the teams that UConn played and beat from other conferences, that were non BE BCS, did not have winning records...save one.....that is just a fact.

This is what you wrote: "The last ten seasons, against the the current P5 conferences." Be more clear next time. I was counting the Iowa St and Notre Dame wins. I included ND because they are now in a P5 conference though they weren't at the time. UConn regularly schedules mediocre to bad teams from other conferences each and every year. 2 games against Maryland, 2 games Baylor, 2 games against Vanderbilt, 2 games against Virginia, etc. In such games, UConn acquits itself pretty well. UConn does not often schedule games against teams like Michigan or Virginia Tech or Notre Dame. it does not often play such teams in bowls either. It has only played two such teams in bowls, South Carolina and Oklahoma. So despite the fact that you included UConn in a discussion which it wasn't even a part of (since no one here is trumpeting UConn football), you only succeeded in presenting half-baked information.

I also see you carefully avoided addressing the fact that UConn has an aggregate winning record against the 3 BE teams that the ACC added.

Reaction Score
Neither has Notre Dame, especially compared to its past. Or Syracuse, or Pitt, or BC, or Miami.

But congratulations, you did buy high on Louisville.

ND is 37-15 the last four seasons, 21-5 in the last two seasons. To you, that is "not good" and is not "of late"????

Reaction Score
Regional? 1950? I think RU and either Texas or Wisconsin played for it all(though I was born in "51"...and crowing about "a" regional? I believe we averaged 38-17 records with 40+ records a couple yrs between "98" and "02" and played pretty competitive BB until Fred "Moose" Hill retired a few yrs ago though it not popular anymore here in the NE due to the seasonal nature of the game I guess?

Rutgers had a pretty damn good baseball program back in the late '90's and early 2000's. ND under Paul Mainieri and Rutgers under Fred Hill had some pretty good battles for the Big East baseball titles back in those days. It was becoming a pretty good rivalry until those guys both moved on.

Reaction Score
Boston College isn't last in everything. They finished the Director's Cup at 65 right behind Miami (FL) and ahead of Wake Forest, Pittsburgh, and Georgia Tech. I have more worries about Pitt. I hope they invest and improve. Georgia Tech had an off year. They've done much better before. The BC 65 finish is within P5 range, the lower part of it no doubt, but in range.

I really think you put too much emphasis on the Director's Cup. Some of these sports are arcane.

I wish someone only looked at the team sports instead of, say, fencing. Now, I like fencing, but really now, that sport can give you the bump you need. Or equestrian. Or bowling. Or rifle?

football, baseball, softball, basketball, hockey, soccer, field hockey, lacrosse, volleyball. Let me know how schools are doing in these sports.

pj

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I really think you put too much emphasis on the Director's Cup. Some of these sports are arcane.

I wish someone only looked at the team sports instead of, say, fencing. Now, I like fencing, but really now, that sport can give you the bump you need. Or equestrian. Or bowling. Or rifle?

football, baseball, softball, basketball, hockey, soccer, field hockey, lacrosse, volleyball. Let me know how schools are doing in these sports.

No, No, No - we should give fencing its due - can you imagine the recruiting battle for Zorro?

out

Reaction Score

Notated is not a word....

Reaction Score
Isn't it the past tense of not eating? Maybe not. . .

But in a sentence it really sounds right: I'm starving. I've notated for 10 hours.

(I'm pretty sure it is an actual word, so expect a link to merriam-webster.com in the near future)

It is a word, but billybud didn't use it correctly. He meant "noted." Notating is what you do when you use footnotes.

Then again, maybe I'm reading billybud's posts incorrectly. After all, they do kind of follow this format:

"UConn is a candidate for the ACC and is a decent school."*

*But it really sucks at the two sports that matter: football and baseball, and Louisville is the best evah at those.

Reaction Score
It is a word, but billybud didn't use it correctly. He meant "noted." Notating is what you do when you use footnotes.

Then again, maybe I'm reading billybud's posts incorrectly. After all, they do kind of follow this format:

"UConn is a candidate for the ACC and is a decent school."*

*But it really sucks at the two sports that matter: football and baseball, and Louisville is the best evah at those.

You left off the three mandatory mentions of FSU. The footnote should contain". . .while not at the level of FSU <insert longest bowl winning streak, etc.>, Louisville is the second best evah. . .

Reaction Score
No, No, No - we should give fencing its due - can you imagine the recruiting battle for Zorro?

out
Zorro vs Rob Roy MacGregor's claymore?......another epic? I guess you'd also remember Tugboat Annie+ Broderick Crawfords Highway Patrol? lol...great yrs with few channel's but memorable TV shows.

Reaction Score

Some schools are difficult to compete with (Director's Cup-wise) because they field so many varsity teams. For example, Virginia Tech fields only 20 varsity sports (ranked 37th) to Stanford's 36 varsity sports (ranked 1st).

The Director's Cup is very important to a lot of conferences, especially the B1G. A good majority of the B1G's universities have close to 30 or more varsity sports. But like you, I feel many put too much weight into the Director's Cup. UConn ranked 57th, yet won 3 National Titles in Field Hockey, MBB and WBB. I don't know about you, but I'd take the 57th ranking with 3 National Titles versus a 37th ranking in the Director's Cup with no Titles.

pj

Reaction Score
Only two teams had a mark above .500 playing End Year Ranked Teams.....List of Top 15 in win % 1980-2013 against End Ranked Teams

Showing Actual Game Results
Pos
TeamRecord

1.Florida St.(82-69-1)--0.54276

2.Miami (FL)(75-67-0)--0.52817

Obviously a biased metric. Florida State and Miami had the benefit of playing ACC teams, who are perennially over-ranked. Moreover, as the perennially best teams in the ACC, FSU and Miami were always a bit better than the ACC teams that deserved their ranks.

Show us record against out-of-conference end-of-year ranked teams.

Reaction Score
Some note, some notate, some regurgitate...I like to think that I verbally spontaneous ejaculate....

It is all for my own edification, after all.

Reaction Score
Obviously a biased metric. Florida State and Miami had the benefit of playing ACC teams, who are perennially over-ranked. Moreover, as the perennially best teams in the ACC, FSU and Miami were always a bit better than the ACC teams that deserved their ranks.

Well, from 1980 to 1991, FSU was independent. From 1980 to 1990, Miami was independent, and from 1991 to 2003, Miami was Big East. Having the fewest conference games allowed Big East teams more out-of-conference flexibility than any other BA/BCS conference.

Can we agree that Nebraska and Oklahoma were titans for much of 1980 to 2013? Miami and Florida State owned them both over that period.

Miami and Florida State both blossomed beginning in 1980, both playing anyone anywhere.

Yes, Miami from 2004 to present has been down (and just now showing some signs of revival). As billybud will attest, FSU's recent "down" years were definitely a fall from grace (1987-2001) but hardly "down" by most standards.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score

FSU had a high percentage of OOC games won against END YEAR RANKED TEAMS 1980-2013...NOTE...1980 through 1991...all teams FSU played counted as OOC...so if they were ranked..they counted.

Alabama....22-18-1-----.5487
USC.....30-30-1---------.500

FSU 51-53-1------------.4904

Some comparisons

Ohio State 20-24-1-----.4556

Texas 20-34-1-----------.3727

Michigan 22-35-1-------.3879

Oklahoma 19-39-1-------.3900

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Some schools are difficult to compete with (Director's Cup-wise) because they field so many varsity teams. For example, Virginia Tech fields only 20 varsity sports (ranked 37th) to Stanford's 36 varsity sports (ranked 1st).

The Director's Cup is very important to a lot of conferences, especially the B1G. A good majority of the B1G's universities have close to 30 or more varsity sports. But like you, I feel many put too much weight into the Director's Cup. UConn ranked 57th, yet won 3 National Titles in Field Hockey, MBB and WBB. I don't know about you, but I'd take the 57th ranking with 3 National Titles versus a 37th ranking in the Director's Cup with no Titles.

Only the 10 best men's and 10 best women's sports are counted in the scoring. That limits the schools that have 30+ sports from counting them all. But it is true in the case of Stanford that with 36 sports, you'll have a better chance of having 20 that are really good than someone who only has 20 total. But that doesn't seem to slow down Texas. They have only 20 total and finish in the top 10 often.

The schools that really have trouble are the ones that only have 16 sports total. They really have to be very good in all of them to do well. And they also probably aren't P5 material. Schools that have 28 sports and rank poorly probably aren't either for different reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom