UConn/ACC | Page 10 | The Boneyard

UConn/ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
More Maryland bashing from the Virginia fan who claims to not give a damn about Maryland, I see.

UVa and UMCP have never had any love for one another. That goes well beyond UMCP bolting for the B1G. Ask any UMCP alum or fan what they think of UVa... and vice versa.

Reaction Score
UVa and UMCP have never had any love for one another. That goes well beyond UMCP bolting for the B1G. Ask any UMCP alum or fan what they think of UVa... and vice versa.

I went to Maryland as a grad student. So maybe that's why I didn't realize that there was this mutual (and IMO) irrational hatred of each other. If I recall, in one of your posts a while back, you mentioned there was a similar thing between UVa and VT, where you basically implied (to me, at least) that UVa alums look down at VT as well. Anyway, I think UVa, VT, and UConn are great institutions and would have been happy to have gone to any of them. I would like to think that only a small fraction of UVa alums exhibit the type of slimy smugness and bashing disguised as "truth" that stimpy exhibits (and not just towards Maryland). I guess there are many Maryland alums that return the favor. That's unfortunate. No need for it.

Reaction Score
If I recall, in one of your posts a while back, you mentioned there was a similar thing between UVa and VT, where you basically implied (to me, at least) that UVa alums look down at VT as well.

Tech - UVa have the State rivalry thing. Some Hoos hate Tech just for that simple reason. Some look down on Tech because we don't always measure up to them academically or think we're hicks, but many also consider us a friendly rivalry and are respectful. I never understood the Hoo-Terrapin hatred. Maybe it's akin to Hokie-'Eer hatred (which I don't have BTW). I guess every school has their hated enemy.

Reaction Score
Florida was on a downward plunge that they've yet to claw out of. And really, outside the top teams of the SEC, they are just like any other conference. Including the old BE. Any time UConn has played an SEC team, there is no discernible difference between them and any other team in any other league.

LSU, Alabama, Florida, Auburn. That's where things get cooking. Outside of that, what is so impressive about beating an SEC team? They diodn't even play Alabama and Auburn that year. The next year, practically the same team lost to Georgia Southern for heaven's sake.

You guys severely overrate Louisville.

Florida is on a downward trend and Will Muschamp is certainly on the hot seat. Our coach is too.

But winning the Sugar Bowl is an accomplishment. That Florida team that played in it won a lot of games that year. I'm not overrating Louisville football. Their recent football success is a recent thing. They've always been a basketball school to me. When I think of Louisville, I see Denny Crum's picture. It's the same for UConn really. I see Geno Auriemma's face and Jim Calhoun along with Ray Allen and Emeka Okefor. I'd have a hard time naming any football players. I do know Paul Pasqueloni, but I think Syracuse and Donnovan McNabb with him.

Reaction Score
Beating Florida was a very good win for the Cards. Florida that year had beaten an 11 win South Carolina, a 11 win Texas A&M, a 12 win FSU and a 10 win LSU.....beating ten win or better teams from a good league is a sign of strength.

UConn has had some good wins......

They just did not catch P5 eyes re football. The last ten seasons, against the the current P5 conferences (ACC, SEC, Big 12, Big 10, Pac 12), UConn has beaten one P5 team with a winning record (South Carolina-7 wins).

Reaction Score
I don't think it is bashing. He was saying how good Maryland is in football, basketball, lacrosse, and socccer. I just laid out the truth. To me that's not bashing.

You take every chance you get to bash the Terps, which is your prerogative in our free society. I think what bothers me the most about your posts is that if someone here weren’t familiar with Maryland’s programs, you’d have them believe that they’re absolutely terrible. You took the time to dog Maryland football, basketball, lacrosse, and soccer, but somehow failed to mention that Maryland owns the all-time head-to-head series against Virginia and has more ACC titles than Virginia in each of those sports, that Maryland lax is second all-time nationally in Final Fours appearances, and that Maryland soccer is third all-time nationally in Final Four appearances. You take every chance you get to poo-poo on all things Maryland all while saying you can't wait to be rid of the Terps. Maryland and Virginia aren’t in the same conference anymore, but here you are.

I just don’t get it. Maryland owns the all-time series in football and basketball versus Virginia, has more national titles than Virginia, has more ACC titles than Virginia, yet somehow you find a way to talk about how god awful Maryland Athletics is. If Maryland performed like Rutgers or even Iowa, then fine, poo-poo away. Maryland’s 10-year Director’s Cup average final ranking is ~30. That’s upper 1/3of the ACC and upper ½ of the Big Ten. Maryland ICA has lots of flaws, but being the scum of the Earth is not one of them and you always purport that to be the case. You want to talk about Debbie Yow running the budget into the ground? Fine. You want to talk about poor performance in football and basketball since 2010? Fine. All I’m saying is be honest and don’t mislead people based on your strong dislike of Maryland. Maryland’s poop stinks just like everyone else’s, but let’s not act like Maryland isn’t a middle of the road performing Big Ten athletic department, at worst.

I'm a Maryland alum, so I definitely get it. My next door neighbor is a 'Hoo and isn't nearly as one-sided in his critique as that guy is.

Reaction Score
Beating Florida was a very good win for the Cards. Florida that year had beaten an 11 win South Carolina, a 11 win Texas A&M, a 12 win FSU and a 10 win LSU.....beating ten win or better teams from a good league is a sign of strength.

UConn has had some good wins.

They just did not catch P5 eyes re football. The last ten seasons, against the the current P5 conferences (ACC, SEC, Big 12, Big 10, Pac 12), UConn has beaten one P5 team with a winning record (South Carolina-7 wins).

Louisville went from sucking at football to being mediocre. You have proven you are way too easily impressed.

AND, this isn't about UConn so no need to bust on UConn. This is about Louisville.

Reaction Score
Everyone is a winner except UConn and Cincinnati. There is no angst for anyone else who isn't out of their minds.

You are a fan of the defending national champion and you have nothing better to worry about than Maryland. Like I said bizarre.

Oh...FSU fans are always worried, Whaler.

Worried about being marginalized while playing in the very shadow of the SEC...with Alabama and Georgia very near on the border and with as many Gator tags in Tallahassee as FSU tags. The Borg is always there. And their games are compelling to watch. Living this close to the Borg, it is like living in eastern Ukraine....

Worried that Miami will not once again become an opponent that will put the annual match on a national stage as it did in the 90's.

Worried that Virginia, Wake, Syracuse, et al won't provide match ups that folks care to watch.

Worried that the Coastal Division may put up a non competitive division champ. That division race should be wide open this year with no dominant team.

What we don't particularly worry about is basketball. We are resigned to our place in the basketball world and have no hopes for much better.

Reaction Score
You want to talk about Debbie Yow running the budget into the ground?

Actually, not only has stimpy not been critical of Ms. Yow, but I recall him praising her tenure as Maryland AD. And I think it was genuine. Go figure.

Reaction Score
Louisville went from sucking at football to being mediocre. You have proven you are way too easily impressed.

AND, this isn't about UConn so no need to bust on UConn. This is about Louisville.

I was impressed by their win over Florida...it was a good win.

Louisville haters will ignore that Florida beat very good teams in 2012....Point out just how many teams beat three teams with 11 wins or more and a 10 win team in a year (all in P5 conferences).

Why would we be discussing Louisville...if it was not also about Connecticut? All topics related to new additions to eastern leagues are tangential to UConn and CR.

And, on the side, Florida will be back. They have the athletes and recruiting. If they can have a year without the horrible injuries of 2013, they can start the climb.

They have their QB back from a broken leg (they had 21 scholarship players missing games to injury in 2013 including 18 starters). I expect them to get to a bowl.

Reaction Score
I was impressed by their win over Florida...it was a good win.

Louisville haters will ignore that Florida beat very good teams in 2012....Point out just how many teams beat three teams with 11 wins or more and a 10 win team in a year (all in P5 conferences).

Why would we be discussing Louisville...if it was not also about Connecticut? All topics related to new additions to eastern leagues are tangential to UConn and CR.

And, on the side, Florida will be back. They have the athletes and recruiting. If they can have a year without the horrible injuries of 2013, they can start the climb.

They have their QB back from a broken leg (they had 21 scholarship players missing games to injury in 2013 including 18 starters). I expect them to get to a bowl.

What a bizarre argument.

I can't discuss how mediocre Louisville is without invoking UConn? Absurd.

Florida was beaten by Georgia Southern with largely the same athletes the very next season. That team went into the tank.

It's irrelevant anyway since UConn actually beat that same Louisville team, which was also blown out by Syracuse. That Louisville team scraped by against very weak opposition all year. It's absurd that you're impressed by them.

But since you're bringing UConn into this, your numbers are totally wrong. UConn has won 11 games against current P5 teams with winning records that season. 3 of those teams were outside the former BE.

AND, UConn has proven it would do just fine inside a conference like the ACC. Despite joining D1 and BE football for the first time in 2004, UConn had a 15-11 record in the BE against Louisville, Pittsburgh and Syracuse. So who really cares that UConn "didn't catch P5" eyes? Neither did the 3 teams that the ACC added. And we know why UConn wasn't picked. It had everything to do with one school in particular being scared of UConn the first time voting came up.

Reaction Score
ESPN is reporting Wake Forest to the Big Ten and Northwestern to the ACC

Reaction Score
The Orange Bowl and Sugar Bowl rings in the past decade impress me the most. All time head to head looks about the same.

I'll give you The Sugar Bowl win over a painfully disinterested Florida Team, but The Orange? LOL Dude they beat Wake Forest. Jezus Khrist let me repeat that. Wake Forest represented a conference in a BCS Bowl Game. Congrats to The Cards on that titanic victory. Too bad they didn't go undefeated that year because they might of had a shot at The National Championship Game. Who did mighty Louisville lose to that season anyway?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What a bizarre argument.

I can't discuss how mediocre Louisville is without invoking UConn? Absurd.

Florida was beaten by Georgia Southern with largely the same athletes the very next season. That team went into the tank.

It's irrelevant anyway since UConn actually beat that same Louisville team, which was also blown out by Syracuse. That Louisville team scraped by against very weak opposition all year. It's absurd that you're impressed by them.

But since you're bringing UConn into this, your numbers are totally wrong. UConn has won 11 games against current P5 teams with winning records that season. 3 of those teams were outside the former BE.

AND, UConn has proven it would do just fine inside a conference like the ACC. Despite joining D1 and BE football for the first time in 2004, UConn had a 15-11 record in the BE against Louisville, Pittsburgh and Syracuse. So who really cares that UConn "didn't catch P5" eyes? Neither did the 3 teams that the ACC added. And we know why UConn wasn't picked. It had everything to do with one school in particular being scared of UConn the first time voting came up.

A bizzare argument would be that Louisville has been mediocre in football.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I'm not about to discount any BCS win, except maybe Utah over Pitt. UL has shown exactly what a FB program can do with a good coach and community support. It's really difficult to criticize it's athletic program. Now it's academic program...

Reaction Score
A bizzare argument would be that Louisville has been mediocre in football.

What do you call a .560 record in the Big East??

.560 is mediocre.

Hard to believe everyone is so impressed by a .560 conference record.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What do you call a .560 record in the Big East??

.560 is mediocre.

Hard to believe everyone is so impressed by a .560 conference record.

For one .560 is not mediocre.

Secondly, yes people are throwing out the Kragthorpe years - your arguments are generally stupid but trying to denigrate Louisville because Florida lost to Georgia Southern in a DIFFERENT season is worse than usual.

Louisville has a pretty good football program. They had one bad hire so the overall numbers don't look as good, but they are 23-3 the last two years and brought back a coach who went frigging 41-9 there.

Reaction Score
For one .560 is not mediocre.

Secondly, yes people are throwing out the Kragthorpe years - your arguments are generally stupid but trying to denigrate Louisville because Florida lost to Georgia Southern in a DIFFERENT season is worse than usual.

Louisville has a pretty good football program. They had one bad hire so the overall numbers don't look as good, but they are 23-3 the last two years and brought back a coach who went frigging 41-9 there.

As usual, you have severe reading deficit problems. The poster I was replying to specifically referenced the last 10 years. Now shut the hell up and try to figure out what people are talking about.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
As usual, you have severe reading deficit problems. The poster I was replying to specifically referenced the last 10 years. Now shut the hell up and try to figure out what people are talking about.

Buddy only an absolute dolt would by trying to argue that Louisville is a 'mediocre' program the last decade. You can now go back to trying to ridiculously twist things into pretzels to prove an non existant point.

Reaction Score
Buddy only an absolute dolt would by trying to argue that Louisville is a 'mediocre' program the last decade. You can now go back to trying to ridiculously twist things into pretzels to prove an non existant point.

.560 is by definition mediocre. Do you watch much college football? Such a record would get coaches killed for the good teams. And then you say throw out the Kragthorpe years when it's obvious the previous poster was INCLUDING those years.

So now you backtrack and include them because you were totally confused about the topic, as usual.

Reaction Score

UConn has had some good wins.

I can't wait for Louisville to kick FSU in the nuts.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
.560 is by definition mediocre. Do you watch much college football? Such a record would get coaches killed for the good teams. And then you say throw out the Kragthorpe years when it's obvious the previous poster was INCLUDING those years.

So now you backtrack and include them because you were totally confused about the topic, as usual.

I was on the gd topic - When you can be at .560 with that idiot coaching 3 of the seasons and the time it took to rebuild - how in the gd hell can you have a mediocre program.

John L Smith 41-21
Petrino I 41-9
Kragthorpe 15-21
Strong 37-15

That's not a mediocre program. That's a very good program that made one mistake that they corrected.

I used to think you just made stupid arguments as a matter of sport. It's becoming clearer you are just seriously this stupid.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
From 2012-2013 the Red Sox were mediocre! They only went .500 those two seasons!

Reaction Score
What do you call a .560 record in the Big East?? .560 is mediocre. Hard to believe everyone is so impressed by a .560 conference record.

Football records over the past 10 years...

WVU 89-38 (0.700); 3 BCS bowl games; 3 conference titles
Louisville 84-41 (0.672); 2 BCS bowl games; 2 conference titles
Cincinnati 84-41 (0.672); 2 BCS bowl games; 2 conference titles
Rutgers 75-50 (0.600); no BCS appearances; no conference titles
UConn 63-60 (0.512); 1 BCS bowl game; 1 conference title
Maryland 64-72 (0.471); no BCS bowl games; no conference titles

The ACC got an above average football team with regard to UL, but not much better than the Pitt and Syracuse additions IMO. Cincinnati is equally as good and ranked higher academically. WVU is even better with almost equal academic ranking and can trumpet that they are a flagship/land grant school.

So was adding a 0.672 percentage football team worth the 160-something academic ranking? Time will tell, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom