Tyler Matakevich!! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tyler Matakevich!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
CT kids can play. You got a beast of a linebacker in Shane Nastahowski up at Milford Academy tearing it up right now. Milford coaches say he is just as good if not better then Matakaviech. Hope we don't miss signing him!

Reaction Score
20:40 into the interview he was asked the question about Tyler. I re-watched the video just now and "no comment" wasn't his exact words, but he didn't want to comment on that question is what he said. I watched the video last night and posted this, this afternoon sorry man! Click on "Football takes on Temple" video.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-footbl/conn-m-footbl-body.html#

... Naturally can't watch on IPad (another thing that needs attention by AD). I'll watch on desktop tomorrow. Thanks.

Reaction Score
Wasn't Temple able to take players we weren't able to take, up until this year?
Had nothing to do with his grades. Milford Academy is also about the under-the-radar kid.
PP just didnt think he was good enough.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
It;s so easy to blame the coach for missing recruits. There are so many out there and there may have been more pressing needs than a LB last year. I can't even begin to start to understand recruiting but does anyone really think that maybe, just maybe, PP said, "no comment" because he wasn't a kid the staff looked at and he's playing well now and PP is realizing the bigger issue to discuss is the poor play of his team and himself? How many times did Calhoun say, "no comment" about Ryan Gomes until he finally lost it. Sorry but I can't find blame here. This is more of an example of people being upset and finding anything to lash out at. The kid wouldn't even sniff PT right now. This may be the one and ONLY one thing I'll defend PP on.

Reaction Score
First, good for Tyler coming up here and speaking with his pads. It's clear he wanted to kick butt at the Rent. Maybe he can transfer here after the change occurs. would love to see him and Graham Stewart in same LB corps.

Reaction Score
Well, one got away, but of all the things that stink about yesterday, the play of our linebackers is certainly not one of them.

Reaction Score
fan, I generally agree with you that recruiting is not an exact scrience (as Dave Solomon prefaced his question to Calhoun that prompted the Ryan Gomes rant). But the ironic thing is Tyler is the kind of under-the-radar player Edsall brought in. Not saying Edsall would have brought Tyler in. There is a lot of irony that a CT kid could play a large role in the departure of a coach who was hired in part for his knowledge of CT and relationships with CT coaches.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Wasn't Temple able to take players we weren't able to take, up until this year?
Yes, they did not have the same restrictions on academics. The Joseph brothers, Dobbs, Nixon are a few examples.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
When we run it as poorly as we do 40 times a game, the opposing LBs are going to get a lot of tackles. I don't think his place of birth has anything to do with it.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
See- this is where we need HFD. He could tell us (probably from memory) who we took that class and how many by each position. Then we could go name by name to determine who should have been tossed for TM (admittedly off to a good start after catching a break due to an injury - Saturday was only his second start).

Just remember PP was signed only 18 days before the National Signing Day in 2011. The coaching staff was focused on holding a class together. Can't tell you what happened during year @ Milford Academy but as you all know the have a good relationship with staff there. May be just a late bloomer and also helps dispel myths regarding talent level in CT if he continues to thrive.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
fan, I generally agree with you that recruiting is not an exact scrience (as Dave Solomon prefaced his question to Calhoun that prompted the Ryan Gomes rant). But the ironic thing is Tyler is the kind of under-the-radar player Edsall brought in. Not saying Edsall would have brought Tyler in. There is a lot of irony that a CT kid could play a large role in the departure of a coach who was hired in part for his knowledge of CT and relationships with CT coaches.

By that logic, Graham Stewart was the type of CT kid that Edsall could NOT land (we know this because he didn't land him) and PP did. And keep in mind that I'm saying that as an "Apologista," since I thought and still think that Edsall is a good coach.

It is extremely difficult to get every kid in your backyard who will excel, even when you know who they are. It's hard to fault PP for not landing this one...

pj

Reaction Score
See- this is where we need HFD. He could tell us (probably from memory) who we took that class and how many by each position. Then we could go name by name to determine who should have been tossed for TM (admittedly off to a good start after catching a break due to an injury - Saturday was only his second start).

We took 4 guys that year who could end up at linebacker, although 2 are being given a shot at fullback. All are redshirting this year. Names: Wyatt Vinci and Jazmarr Clax are the two 3* being given a chance at FB. Jonathan Hicks and Jason Sylva are 2* LBs. Sylva didn't qualify and is at Dean JC.

Matakevich was rated a 2* similar to Hicks and Sylva.

With hindsight I'm sure P and Don Brown wish they'd offered Matakevich. Not sure why they misjudged him, but remember they came in late and didn't have a chance to see anyone at camp or much time to scout. Always hard to judge from film, especially if film quality is poor. Hopefully they wouldn't miss similar guys in the future.

Reaction Score
Matakevich grades & scores were the reason he received no offers following his senior season. Shoot, there were rumors that some FSC schools couldn't even offer him because of this.

His high school coach is parsing the truth.

Reaction Score
Oh stop it. Like there isn't enough to blame this Staff for without blaming them for the weather.

No BCS team, not one, offered Matakevich a schollie. This is not like everyone wanted him and UConn alone misevaluated him. No one, no one, thought he was good enough to be a BCS level impact player. (and fans on a message board don't count -- I'm talking about coaches and scouting services).

The young man and his family should be pleased that he is off to the start he is having and has already proven the world wrong. Good for the young man. But to be beating up P on that runs the risk of making the valid criticism (of which there is more than enough) less credible.

Reaction Score
Oh stop it. Like there isn't enough to blame this Staff for without blaming them for the weather.

No BCS team, not one, offered Matakevich a schollie. This is not like everyone wanted him and UConn alone misevaluated him. No one, no one, thought he was good enough to be a BCS level impact player. (and fans on a message board don't count -- I'm talking about coaches and scouting services).

The young man and his family should be pleased that he is off to the start he is having and has already proven the world wrong. Good for the young man. But to be beating up P on that runs the risk of making the valid criticism (of which there is more than enough) less credible.

Nobody is trying to find something to pin the coach he's already ducked... Tyler is having a great season and he's from CT so I thought I'd share that with the BY's.... And again he is from CT and we're are the University of Connecticut I don't care if no other BCS school offered... Uconn should have offered since he's a home state kid!

Reaction Score
Nobody is trying to find something to pin the coach he's already ducked... Tyler is having a great season and he's from CT so I thought I'd share that with the BY's.... And again he is from CT and we're are the University of Connecticut I don't care if no other BCS school offered... Uconn should have offered since he's a home state kid!

Explain to me, then, how UConn should have offered if they didn't think he was good enough to play BCS level football and every other BCS coach agreed with them.

Reaction Score

Agreed - Make note: Mail form "Offer Letter" to all CT High School seniors with passing grades so we can take these types of arguments off the table in the future.

Kill me.jpg

Reaction Score
Temple linebacker from CT had 19 TACKLES today and 15 against USF! The kid is only a Freshmen. I heard the commentator saying he wanted to play for Uconn but we never offered him a scholarship. In an interview this week PP was also asked why didn't he offer the kid a scholarship... he said and I quote "no comment" I don't see why he' playing for Temple when he should be on our roster. I thought PP was brought in to help with in state recruits??

You do know that coaches aren't allowed to talk about recruiting? For a year and half, every single recruiting question Pasqualoni has fielded, at any time, about anybody, has resulted in a "no comment", "i'm not going to comment on that" kind of response.

There's a lot to get on Coach P about, but this is not one.

Reaction Score
Explain to me, then, how UConn should have offered if they didn't think he was good enough to play BCS level football and every other BCS coach agreed with them.

this "UConn Family" genius goes into the same bin as "CT Sports Junky." Best not to engage them, you'll just end up wanting to bang your head against a wall.

Reaction Score
Has UConn even gotten a Milford Academy player through admissions? Milford is where kids go with awful grades who want an easy way to boost their transcript to qualify. As a school, it is a joke. They don't even do a Spring semester as the school year ends when the football season ends. Classes end on December 1.

There are a ton of legitimate prep school options available for kids learn to be students and also gain football experience. I have no problem with UConn admissions looking at Milford Academy for what it is.......a scam school that hands out good grades for a fee.

Reaction Score
this "UConn Family" genius goes into the same bin as "CT Sports Junky." Best not to engage them, you'll just end up wanting to bang your head against a wall.

Thank you for the warning, although I think it's far more likely that our play on the field will make me want to bang my head into the wall than another poster.

Reaction Score
Has UConn even gotten a Milford Academy player through admissions? Milford is where kids go with awful grades who want an easy way to boost their transcript to qualify. As a school, it is a joke. They don't even do a Spring semester as the school year ends when the football season ends. Classes end on December 1.

There are a ton of legitimate prep school options available for kids learn to be students and also gain football experience. I have no problem with UConn admissions looking at Milford Academy for what it is.......a scam school that hands out good grades for a fee.

Is it any more of a joke than the school that Bradley is coming from (ECA)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom